City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) City of Ashes discussion

Does anyone else think it is wrong that Jace kisses Clary even though they are brother and sister?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 169) (169 new)    post a comment »

Sarah I am totally for the Jace and Clary romance, I want it, but this is all kinds of wrong. Agree?

Stacy i agree you have to read farther to understand but it gets even better

message 3: by Korra (last edited May 06, 2013 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Korra Wait until you get to City of Glass and keeping reading it gets better:)

Sarah Josie wrote: "IKR"

oh, I know. I have read the whole series. I just thought that, at the moment, it was wrong.

Loretta Lawrence Sarah wrote: "Josie wrote: "IKR"

oh, I know. I have read the whole series. I just thought that, at the moment, it was wrong."

I felt the exact same way, but at least it gets better right?

Sarah Yeah, still, I can't imagine kissing my brother like this:

“While this is all very amusing, the kiss that will free the girl is the kiss that she most desires,” she said. “Only that and nothing more.”

Jace’s heart started to pound. He met the Queen’s eyes with his own. “Why are you doing this?”

… “Desire is not always lessened by disgust…And as my words bind my magic, so you can know the truth. If she doesn’t desire your kiss, she won’t be free.”

“You don’t have to do this, Clary, it’s a trick—” (Simon)

...Isabelle sounded exasperated. ‘Who cares, anyway? It’s just a kiss.”

“That’s right,” Jace said. Clary looked up, then finally, and her wide green eyes rested on him. He moved toward her... and put his hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him… He could feel the tension in his own body, the effort of holding back, of not pulling her against him and taking this one chance, however dangerous and stupid and unwise, and kissing her the way he had thought he would never, in his life, be able to kiss her again. “It’s just a kiss,” he said, and heard the roughness in his own voice, and wondered if she heard it, too.

Not that it mattered—there was no way to hide it. It was too much. He had never wanted like this before... She understood him, laughed when he laughed, saw through the defenses he put up to what was underneath. There was no Jace Wayland more real than the one he saw in her eyes when she looked at him… All he knew was that whatever he had to owe to Hell or Heaven for this chance, he was going to make it count.

He...whispered in her ear. “You can close your eyes and think of England, if you like,” he said.
Her eyes fluttered shut, her lashes coppery lines against her pale, fragile skin. “I’ve never even been to England,” she said, and the softness, the anxiety in her voice almost undid him. He had never kissed a girl without knowing she wanted it too, usually more than he did, and this was Clary, and he didn’t know what she wanted. Her eyes were still closed, but she shivered, and leaned into him — barely, but it was permission enough.

His mouth came down on hers. And that was it. All the self-control he’d exerted over the past weeks went, like water crashing through a broken dam. Her arms came up around his neck and he pulled her against him… His hands flattened against her back... and she was up on the tips of her toes, kissing him as fiercely as he was kissing her... He clung to her more tightly, knotting his hands in her hair, trying to tell her, with the press of his mouth on hers, all the things he could never say out loud...

His hands slid down to her waist... he had no idea what he would have done or said next, if it would have been something he could never have pretended away or taken back, but he heard a soft hiss of laughter — the Faerie Queen — in his ears, and it jolted him back to reality. He pulled away from Clary before he it was too late, unlocking her hands from around his neck and stepping back... Clary was staring at him. Her lips were parted, her hands still open. Her eyes were wide. Behind her, Alec and Isabelle were gaping at them; Simon looked as if he was about to throw up.

...If there had ever been any hope that he could have come to think of Clary as just his sister, this — what had just happened between them — had exploded it into a thousand pieces... He tried to read Clary’s face — did she feel the same? … I know you felt it, he said to her with his eyes, and it was half bitter triumph and half pleading. I know you felt it, too…She glanced away from him... He whirled on the Queen. “Was that good enough?” he demanded. “Did that entertain you?”

The Queen gave him a look: special and secretive and shared between the two of them. “We are quite entertained," she said. “But not, I think, so much as the both of you.”

Ceyda Akalın Well you can kinda guess that they'll end up not being related because of how Cassandra makes you fall in love with the idea of them being together so I didn't really think about it too much

message 8: by Ree (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ree Josie wrote: "Read on, Mortal Instruments lover, read on...
(That's all I'll tell you, or else I'll spoil everything....)"

Well, you are kinda spoiling it already, because your comment clearly implies that there's gonna be a solution that will make the Jace and Clary romance okay.

Gabby I'm just going to be dory for a second...

just keep reading...just keep reading...just keep reading, reading, reading...what do we do we read, read read...

message 10: by Ree (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ree Yes, of course, at that time it was all kinds of wrong. But you can't really blame Jace or Clary for their feelings. They know that they're siblings, but it's nothing they actually feel. It's comparable to Jace's struggle of who he sees as his father in the following books. That's one of the things I very much like about this series - that it sees family beyond mere blood relations.

message 11: by Smeg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Smeg I thought it was hilarious that Jace & Clary uncontrollably lusted after one another as brother & sister, so naughty... But in the end it was the deliciously bad Sebastian who entertained me the most.

message 12: by Wolfkin (new) - added it

Wolfkin I thought it was insanely frustrating. People have compared it to A Game of Thrones and Star Wars but those are very different scenarios.

In Game of Thrones the incest is portrayed as dirty and wrong. Those characters who engage in the incest are seen as deplorable.

In Star Wars the incest is the revelation. Luke and Leia kiss but they don't think they're related when they kiss. That's the big revealation that they aren't actually a viable couple.

In City of Ashes and it's predecessor City of Bones, we have what is in my opinion the most disturbing incestual relationship at all. We have two people who KNOW that they're related and yet they're kissing isn't the chaste kiss from Star Wars nor the dirty thing from Game of Thrones. Instead it's portrayed as unflinchingly romantic. Everytime they touch it's always the epitome of love barely unrequited. And most annoying this continues so far for THREE books. That's THREE books of watching a brother and sister pine for each other.

message 13: by Stephen (last edited May 07, 2013 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephen The whole question of people who are too closely related being romantically involved has been a hot button topic for millenia now. Be sure and check out this Youtube entry from author John Green It kinda vaguely touches on this whole thing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M6HWo...

Sarah I don't know, I still really, I don't know- but yay for them.

Aditi KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT GETS BETTER

Sarah Like I said, I have read the whole series. I have reviewed the first three on my blog, even.

Gabbi Robinson you have to wait.
nothing is ever what it seems.

message 18: by Wolfkin (last edited May 07, 2013 05:23PM) (new) - added it

Wolfkin Stephen wrote: "The whole question of people who are too closely related being romantically involved has been a hot button topic for millenia now. Be sure and check out this Youtube entry from author John Green I..."

That video deals strictly with the stigma of kissing cousins. Kissing siblings really is a whole different can of worms.

Aditi wrote: "KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT GETS BETTER"
Gabbi wrote: "you have to wait.
nothing is ever what it seems."

yes again for the record like Sarah I've read the first four books. (Reviews: Glass | Fallen Angels) But my point still stands. The point is that during this time of the series. These are two people who are brother and sister and they're just Romeo and Julieting it out hardcore.

I haven't mentioned in detail how this situation is resolved because this thread is posted under a City of Ashes category and I'm actually trying to respect people who haven't read the rest of the books yet. And again it doesn't matter what happens in later books it doesn't make the romance in this book any more feasible.

Honestly blood relationship aside I'm not a fan of the Clary/Jace romance. It's not as obviously dangerous as Twilight but it's not that great either.

Latham I thought it was real creepy and unatural until I read City of Glass.

message 20: by Usha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Usha City of Ashes to go into production in the fall. http://tmisource.com/2013/05/08/haral...

Loretta Lawrence OMG. YES!!! I can barely wait for City of bones to be released now the torture drags on!

Vrinda Pendred I thought the genius of those books was that I was so rooting for them to be together, despite the wrongness. I was mentally screaming at Clary to do it!

Lorinda Cockrell YESSSS! I'm sooo happy and can't wait for City of Bones!!!

message 24: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Even in City of Bones, I never really accepted the fact that they were siblings, so no, I didn't find fault in it...

Vrinda Pendred I agree, Vanessa. I expected they would somehow turn out to be unrelated.

Sarah :) thx for the opinions, guys. Hey, I hope you guys will comment on my blog for Suggestion Saturday tomorrow and maybe you can find your new fav book! www.enchantedbyabook.blogspot.com

message 27: by Neha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neha In my opinion I really look forward to it. Though I still don't believe that they are siblings. My reasoning is that in City of Ashes when the battle in the end is going on, comes and notices the scar on Jace. Therefore, I am thinking that they must be related meaning that Clary and Jace can't be siblings.

FYI: I have not read City of Glass yet, so this is an inference.

Sarah Keep reading

message 29: by Wolfkin (new) - added it

Wolfkin You can't say that. You can't just say "keep reading" as if that excuses what's going on in these first two books. What happens in book 3 or book 4 doesn't change the issues raised with the character's motivation in these earlier books.

Most of us HAVE read far enough to see the resolution, and no one who hasn't read far enough is threatening to stop reading. It's a redundant and pedantic comment.

Sarah Oh...kay?

FantasySheBeast999 Sarah wrote: "I am totally for the Jace and Clary romance, I want it, but this is all kinds of wrong. Agree?"

read on sista, read on

Rihana yeah i think it might be a bit on the wrong side but love is irrational

Tiara Henry yeah, even though they are not actualy brother and sister, they still thought they were, so it is wrong.

message 34: by Ree (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ree Wolfkin wrote: "You can't say that. You can't just say "keep reading" as if that excuses what's going on in these first two books. What happens in book 3 or book 4 doesn't change the issues raised with the charact..."

Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

Claire Pierce Ok I think that it's kinda sweet because it shows that they love each other so much nothing can stop them. Plus they both doubted a little that they were actually related. Plus I love Clary and Jace so

Jordan There was no other way out. He had to in order to get her out of there. Read the rest of the books! It's incredible!

Ashley I thought so too, but even though they were told they were brother and sister their deep feelings obviously knew that they weren't lol like how luke and princess leia knew deep down that they were and no one told them haha

message 38: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I have to admit that I was a little bothered at first but I am glad that I continued reading....

message 39: by Janelle (last edited May 24, 2013 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janelle Ann At first it was gross. Really. But then the author keeps on pushing the two of them together so it led mo to the idea that maybe they're not really... you know. I told myself that I'll just have to continue reading and see if my guess is correct.

Andrea keep reading and thats all you need :) the books are just WOW !! it gets better, better and better! o.o I LOVE THEM SOO MUCH !!

Shelby KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea WORTH IT ! :O

message 43: by Meri (last edited May 29, 2013 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meri I'll just say, I don't like reading a simple books, this part give 'spice' to the story. Oh the agony, I guess it's very strategic.

It's wrong, yeah, but it heightens your emotion doesn't it?

Nowadays, no one wants to ready the usual plot: Girl meets boy and they live happily ever after..

Just saying...

Marsalh I agree with Meri, it does make the plot exciting and makes you want to continue reading.

message 45: by Neha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neha I agree with Meriand Marsalh because an easy way for the girl and guy live is just simple and boring, 99.9% of the times.

Juliana please. We all know they cant possibly really be related- otherwise it would be a horrible book! And I think they know in their hearts they are not really related- otherwise they wouldnt be head over heels in love with each other

Jordan Juliana wrote: "please. We all know they cant possibly really be related- otherwise it would be a horrible book! And I think they know in their hearts they are not really related- otherwise they wouldnt be head ov..."

They fell in love before they found out, so they can't just... stop. They tried, really hard, but it just wasn't working. I mean, Clary tried dating Simon to get away from Jace.

message 48: by Wolfkin (new) - added it

Wolfkin Juliana wrote: "please. We all know (view spoiler) otherwise it would be a horrible book!"

(view spoiler)

Juliana wrote: "And I think (view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

Gabrielle Hawthorne No. It's a book and all teen books have happy ending if you haven't noticed.

Sarah Wolfkin wrote: "Juliana wrote: "please. We all know [spoilers removed] otherwise it would be a horrible book!"

[spoilers removed] There's just so many positive avenues that could be explored but are denied becaus..."

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT POST, WOLFKIN!!

I am so sick of these romances, especially the love triangles. I would be okay with them more if they weren't all the same and IN EVERY SINGLE BOOK! Especially in the dystopia apocalyptic books. Ugh. The world is ending but Oh we are in love with eachother and that's all that matters. Rolls eyes. Ugh.

« previous 1 3 4

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Ashes (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)
City of Bones (other topics)
How to Train Your Dragon (other topics)
Twilight (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Green (other topics)