Eleanor & Park Eleanor & Park discussion

*SPOILER* Ending

Comments (showing 1-50 of 187) (187 new)    post a comment »

Emily “He sat up. He smiled. Something heavy and winged took off from his chest.
Eleanor hadn’t written him a letter, it was a postcard.
Just three words long.”

What did it mean? Did Eleanor finally tell him she loves him? I think she's saying that they still have hope. That they have a future..
Anyway what do you guys think?

Ayse It means that she loves him. All throughout the book, Park was able to tell Eleanor he loved her, Yet Eleanor could never say the same to Park. It shows that she's healing. Before she never felt worthy or emotionally stable enough to tell Park; now Elanor is away from her disgusting step-father and she's starting to heal from all the emotional trauma. Yet Elanor and Park have drifted apart as well, so their future is still up to debate.

Emily Yeah! That's what I thought too.
I really hope there is a sequel or a short epilogue
Although the ending was just beautiful as it is!
GOD I'm conflicted!

Ayse I kind of want a sequel, but I don't the same. I like the conflicting ending. I feel like a sequel will shatter the abstract-ness of the ending. Anyone can envision what will happen to Eleanor and Park, and as a result it'll change. I like being able to "control" the characters' futures. Ehh I don't know if it makes much sense, but I know that I won't ever be able to let go of the characters. :)

Emily IT MAKES SENSE!!! I feel the same... I usually can't stand open endings but this book it just seemed fitting you know? Like..that's life..you don't get more real than that!
But...on the other hand I just want more of these characters!

Ayse It really depends, I generally like more open endings, that way I'm left with so much about the book. I think about it more, and make it mine. :)
Characters like these are what make a book special. Otherwise, Eleanor's situation is something that is unfortunately pretty common, as is Park's. But These characters They're so unique and whole. They feel real, y'know?
( I remember texting my friend halfway through reading this book, practically crying over how I'd fallen so hard for these characters)

Emily Aaahhh....for me..it's the opposite. I need closure! I go mad sometimes when books leave me hanging.. Not necessarily cliff hangers. Those I can handle because that would mean another book but open endings..they just either make me wanna tear the book up or hug it and cry until the pain goes away!
E&P was the second one! I just knew I would love this book but wow! I..wow...this was a good book!

Shekinah I feel you. I also need a nice closure with this book. The ending is just so abrupt. But I guess Eleanor finally said 'I Love You' to Park... or even I miss you. Hahaha! I want to know what happened to them. Like what happened to Eleanor's Family and so on... I google-ed 'Eleanor & Park' and found this

*dies*

Emily HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh my god!! That was...so funny!

message 10: by Ayse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayse OMFG
I just
oh my god.

rissa I had to think about the last page after reading it. Of course Eleanor's three words were I Love You...but it took me a few minutes to ponder about it. I loved this book and think it's not for YA only!

Emily rissa wrote: "I had to think about the last page after reading it. Of course Eleanor's three words were I Love You...but it took me a few minutes to ponder about it. I loved this book and think it's not for YA o..."

EXACTLY!
One of my favourites!

message 13: by Ayse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayse And that's what makes a book great.
:) Eleanor & Park will always be among my favorites.

Julia I think they were:

"I'm Han Solo."

Which of course is 'I love you' in code.

message 15: by Ayse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayse Julia wrote: "I think they were:

"I'm Han Solo."

Which of course is 'I love you' in code."

Yes.
I like this very much.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa C. I thought "I love you" as well, but then pondered if it was "it's not goodbye."

But "I'm Hans Solo" would rock.

Breanne Needs more eyeliner.

message 18: by Ayse (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayse ^Oh my god. Can you imagine Park's face?

Machie I'm thinking between 'I love you' and 'I miss you' but then the 'I'm Han Solo' is pure genius and sounds like something Eleanor would say haha

Shiela I think it was something like....

"Nothing Ever Ends."

The quote Park mentioned from "The Watchmen". That would kind of mean I love you and I did read the final installment of the comic book all in three short words.

Craig I like Shiela's answer best. "Nothing Ever Ends." That's wonderful!

Emily Shiela wrote: "I think it was something like....

"Nothing Ever Ends."

The quote Park mentioned from "The Watchmen". That would kind of mean I love you and I did read the final installment of the comic book al..."

That's a really good one too!

Shamo I really did enjoy this book,it was never too detailed & it got right to the point unlike other books which bore me to death. I love how it unconventionally turned into love even though Park's first word to her was a swear. I just REALLY hated the ending to be honest. I wanted more. I wanted to find out what would happen next. But overall i'd give it 5 stars because i really honestly enjoyed it!

Maryam Yeah the ending was really abrupt, I was crying ! I felt so bad for eleanor and couldn't understand why they couldn't at least keep in touch. But it's true she did need some healing... I left the book wondering what happened to her , to her siblings, to park .... I guess we forget that pre internet , pre social media and cell phones life was much more complicated to keep in touch. Still... I can only hope somewhere they made it back to each other, hopefully.

Arden I was crying and missing Eleanor and park together so I hope to god it was something good like I love you....not something awful like I hate you...
but its not. its not. trust me on this.

Littleinterruptions Ayse wrote: "It means that she loves him. All throughout the book, Park was able to tell Eleanor he loved her, Yet Eleanor could never say the same to Park. It shows that she's healing. Before she never felt wo..."

This really makes me feel better. I like the idea that she's probably healing. It makes sense and it gives me hope that they could still be together :)

Emily Rios This book definitely gave me all of the feels.
At first, I hated the ending. In the beginning stage of my mourning, I just wanted to rip the last page of the book and burn it in my fireplace, if I had one.
But after some days of sitting in my bed and grieving, I began to accept it. Then began to love it.
Rainbow Rowell created this story for her readers to write their own ending. Those last three words could be anything, and it is for you to decipher what they were.

Gabrielle - Four's ma bae the ending kinda bugged me...
i didnt cry, was just confused

and by the way did eleanors mum and her siblings move away from Richie?? i kinda wanted to know what happened to them?

And who loved Parks mum? Me!!

Janet Shiela wrote: "I think it was something like....

"Nothing Ever Ends."

The quote Park mentioned from "The Watchmen". That would kind of mean I love you and I did read the final installment of the comic book al..."

Shiela, you are brilliant! I assumed it was "I love you" because we refer to that phrase as those 3 little words. But you really get Eleanor! And I am changing the ending in my head to go with your revelation!

Janet Gabrielle wrote: "the ending kinda bugged me...
i didnt cry, was just confused

and by the way did eleanors mum and her siblings move away from Richie?? i kinda wanted to know what happened to them?

And who loved P..."

I want to know too! So glad they all got away from him. Were there any hints that he might of gone to live with the uncle too?

I loved Park's mom and dad. I know dad could be a jerk sometimes but he alwasy had his family's best interest in mind. Like, his reason for not wanting Park to wear eyeliner was because he did not want Park to endure abuse. Did he handle it right? No, but he was a good dad and kind of a hero. He undestood about Richie and woudl have taken in Eleanor if her uncle hadn't. Also, the was he treated and respected his wife was a great model for his sons. Park did not think of being unkind to Eleanor because his relationship role model was a good one!

message 31: by danielle (last edited Aug 19, 2013 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

danielle Open endings make me antsy, this one included, but I think it's ultimately hopeful. Eleanor never felt like she could keep Park for forever, but I think the tides changed, when, after a year, she "wondered if she was too late" (she probably realized she couldn't "just stop") and then sent him the postcard saying she loved him. Those three words, to me, meant she was ready to believe. And, obviously, Park was just waiting for her to send word, even when he thought he wasn't. When he went to prom with the other girl, and holding her hand was nothing special, I think it cemented the fact that what he had with Eleanor was unique and "once in a lifetime" (how he compared their relationship to his parent's), and Eleanor just needed some time to realize she was worthy of that love.

So, I would have liked a more solid conclusion, but I think after Park gets that postcard they find a way back to each other.

Loony Me being optimistic: "I love you."
Me being pessimistic: "Just stop, Park."

I'm betting number 1.

AND I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED AN EPILOGUE SO BAD. Do you guys think that'd be possible? *cross fingers*

Emily I really....hope so!!

message 34: by danielle (last edited Aug 20, 2013 03:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

danielle But he already had stopped (sending letters, etc) by then, so that doesn't make any sense. And again there's line - "she wondered if she was too late".

Plus, "I love you" has always been associated with "those three words" - I don't see how it could be anything else. :)

Loony I'm really sure it's "I love you", but you know, all this curiosity is making me crazy. Can't we request Ms Rowell for at least a short epilogue? Like maybe a after-5-years epilogue.

Patricia Slattery I also think it was "I love you" or "I miss you." I would love a sequel, but at the same time I'm fine with it ending. I just hope they end up together. In my mind they do.

message 37: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Keratsis Julia wrote: "I think they were:

"I'm Han Solo."

Which of course is 'I love you' in code."

Awesome.

Kaleigh I felt so depressed after I finished it. I wasn't sure what to expect the book because I bought it on a whim since John Green gave it a great review. I wasn't sure how I felt about it in the beginning but I kept wanting to read more of it. Needles to say, I eventually became hooked and became emotionally attached to the characters. However, I was sucked into this beautiful love story but ending broke my heart because I wanted an answer. I wish the ending would have at least giving a small hint as to what probably happens to their relationship. This book had me thinking about it days after I finished reading it. I still want to know what happend! (John Green would not be happy about that statement)

Kaleigh Ayse wrote: "I kind of want a sequel, but I don't the same. I like the conflicting ending. I feel like a sequel will shatter the abstract-ness of the ending. Anyone can envision what will happen to Eleanor and..."

I completely agree with you that although the open ending was frustrating it allowed me to make my own conclusion and it made the story more of my own and I did not stop thinking about the characters for days. Even though the ending wasnt my favorite, I can't quite think of a better was to end such a great book, like I can't think of an ending that would have given the perfect closure without making it to unrealistic. This ending felt real

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship I like "I'm coming home," since it seems like the mom left the creepy stepdad. (Or did she?) Long-distance relationships are hard at any age but at 17, yikes.

message 41: by Kathy (last edited Sep 08, 2013 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathy The ending was just so sudden, it left me in shock and tears because there wasn't closure. Then after re-reading the last chapter over and over again, I started to make my own opinions and found out further about the ending.

In my perspective, I think that the three words were ultimately: I love you. It just seems to make the most sense considering "three words" is usually associated with I love you. I also think the fact that she didn't write a letter, but sent the postcard, is something many of us overlooked. After Park left Eleanor at her uncle's place, he said he sent a postcard at the first truck stop titled "Welcome to Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes". Eleanor sent the postcard "Greetings from the Land of 10,000 Lakes" with the words I love you (presumably). Thus, I drew the conclusion that she was on her way back to Park, sending the postcard from the same truck stop on her return trip to reunite with him.

This is just my opinion and thoughts on the final pages, it is definitely a more optimistic ending, and although it might not be what the author intended, I wanted to share this ending so that some of us who want more closure and a happy ending can be at ease.

danielle Very good point re: her being on her way back since she sent a postcard from there. I have to agree!

Dafne Vargas ok i dont speak very good english, but does the picture from above says "I banged your dad"? what does it mean?

Loony Dafne wrote: "ok i dont speak very good english, but does the picture from above says "I banged your dad"? what does it mean?"
"slept/copulated with your dad"

Kaleigh Kathy wrote: "The ending was just so sudden, it left me in shock and tears because there wasn't closure. Then after re-reading the last chapter over and over again, I started to make my own opinions and found ou..."

I love that interpretation! I'd like to think that's what happened, thanks for sharring

Mayri Emily wrote: "Aaahhh....for me..it's the opposite. I need closure! I go mad sometimes when books leave me hanging.. Not necessarily cliff hangers. Those I can handle because that would mean another book but open..."

Emily wrote: "Aaahhh....for me..it's the opposite. I need closure! I go mad sometimes when books leave me hanging.. Not necessarily cliff hangers. Those I can handle because that would mean another book but open..."

EXACTLY the same for me!! it was such a beatiful story and I just needed closure! I didn't want to let go of this couple :(

Robin (Bridge Four) Kathy wrote: "The ending was just so sudden, it left me in shock and tears because there wasn't closure. Then after re-reading the last chapter over and over again, I started to make my own opinions and found ou..."

Done...That is now the new ending in my head. She is on her way back to him. I love it!

message 48: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I don't think it was I love you. Eleanor took too long to go listen to music in Park's open-door bedroom. She wouldn't write a public postcard his parents could read that said I love you. It had to be code. No?

Can't believe a city in Minnesota canceled the author visit because they thought this book was filth.

Also thinking about the fact that Eleanor said there were no Asians. St. Paul had plenty of Asians in 1986. Hmong population exploded in early 80s.
I couldn't sleep until I finished this book last night. I loved everything about it.

Sophie I literally wandered around my house crying for five minutes after I read the last line and turned the page and saw there was nothing more.

What gives me hope is the line at the end that says a heavy weight was lifted from Park's chest (except in a more poetic way; I can't remember the exact words). I don't think he would have felt that way if he had seen anything negative on the postcard. I think it was "I love you" or maybe "I miss you," but it could also be "I'm coming back" or "See you soon." The Watchmen idea is a great one too. It does seem odd that she would write "I love you" on a postcard where anyone can see, but this Eleanor does not have to worry so much about keeping her feelings hidden so nobody can hurt her. She's in a safer place now. I'm so glad her uncle and aunt took her in and gave her space to heal.

I do really want to know what happened with Eleanor's family. Since Park didn't see the kids' toys in the yard anymore (but we know Richie was still living there), I hope that Eleanor's mom finally got out, but if she did wouldn't she invite Eleanor back home?

Jackie "the Librarian" I think it's either "I love you" or "Come get me."

« previous 1 3 4

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Eleanor & Park (other topics)