The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > What's your favorite female author or favorite book by a woman?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 131) (131 new)    post a comment »

Molly (slinkyxo) | 8 comments I loved Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Irene (IreneE) Barbara Kingsolver - Poisonwood Bible
Anything by Miriam Toews
Anne Marie MacDonald - Fall on Your Knees , As the Crow Flies
Jane Smiley - esp. Horse Heaven, My Year at the Races
Pat Barker - especially the regeneration Trilogy
Sarah Hall - The Electric Michaelangelo
Nualla O'Failloan - My Dream of You
Frances Itani - Deafening
Nadine Gortimer
Annie Proulx
P.D. James - great mysteries
Alice Munro
Louise Erdich
Doris Lessing
Isak Dinesen

Liz Durham | 58 comments Elizabeth Straub (Amy & Isabelle) is really good, as well as Ann Patchett (The Patron Saint of Liars) and Alice Hoffman (Practical Magic).

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments Mists of Avalon by Marian Zimmer Bradley

Also love Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood and Catherine Cookson

Stef (buch_ratte) | 650 comments These are some of the female authors I read and liked:

Diane Setterfield
Kate Mosse
Brenda Joyce
Luanne Rice
Jennifer Lee Carrell

I probably read others but I don't remember them right away. but it is like Li said: I mainly read books written by men. Wasn't aware of it because I choose my books by the title/cover not by the sex of the author.

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments My favorite female author is Diana Gabaldon - Her Outlander series are my favorite books of all time - LOVE THEM - I haven't read her other series The Lord John's yet - not sure why but she's fabulous.

Just check my page
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

You'll find a ton of really great female authors.

message 57: by Shannon (last edited May 29, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Shannon (sianin) I love this list and will look up a few female authors that I haven't explored before. To add a few good ones that either I missed in the list or weren't there:
Irène Némirovsky - Suite Francaise was compelling
Mary Lawson (liked Crow Lake)
Sandra Gulland - historical fiction Josephine Bonapart
Ami McKay - really liked the Birth House

Diane D. One of my favorite authors, who just happens to be female, is Jhumpa Lahiri. She has a wonderful collection of short stories "The Interpreter of Maladies" which is one of my favorite books. She has also written a novel, "The Namesake", and another book of shorts called "Unaccustomed Earth". I do prefer her short stories over the full length novel.

Also, Chitra Banerjee Divakeruni - "The Arranged Marriage" (also a book of shorts); and

Lisa See. Have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by her, and it is a wonderful book about women and their friendships.

Mary | 203 comments Has anyone mentioned Edith Wharton? Also Donna Tartt or Susan Minot?

I have also enjoyed these books recently:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Stones from the River by Ursual Hegi
The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
The Girls by Lori Lansens

Diane D. Mary wrote: "Has anyone mentioned Edith Wharton? Also Donna Tartt or Susan Minot?

I have also enjoyed these books recently:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
Stones from the R..."

The Help and Stones from the River - both in my To Read pile!

Mary | 203 comments Diane, I think you will love them!

Thomma (thommalyn) | 94 comments I don't think anybody has mentioned Carson McCullers yet. She's amazing -- especially her novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Also Possession by A.S. Byatt, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates, and The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing.

Mel (MelCdn) | 90 comments The Time Traveler's Wife
Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Both were pageturners for me.

I also second
A Thousand Acres A Novel

These are all mainstream fiction though. It might be easier to identify female authors you might like if we knew what genres or even books by male authors you really enjoyed.

message 64: by Ronda (last edited May 29, 2009 06:38PM) (new)

Ronda Wingo (rondasue27) I personally love Lori Wick books. She writes Christian romances for different time periods and they're just amazing.
Also, I've only read one book by Karen Kingsbury. Ever After
It was really good though...I'm planning to read more of her stuff.
And of course J.K. Rowling is just plain amazing. She would have to be my favorite.

message 65: by Mosca (last edited May 29, 2009 07:14PM) (new)

Mosca | 827 comments Thomma: "I don't think anybody has mentioned Carson McCullers yet. She's amazing -- especially her novel The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter"

Thomma, I read this book a few months ago. Depressing subject, excellent writing. I'm really a Carson McCullers fan.

Tiffany | 3 comments In no particular order

1. Anne Rice
2. Toni Morrison
3. Alice Walker
4. Maya Angelou
5. Margaret Cho (she wrote a very cool book called "I'm the one I want")
6. J.K. Rowling
7. Amy Tan (Joy Luck Club)
8. Terri McMillan
9. Sue Monk Kid
10. Rebecca Wells
11. Jennifer Weiner

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Liz (Consumed by Books) | 864 comments I would also like to suggest Refuge by Terry Tempest williams. Angela Carter is also absoutely brilliant if you're interested in reading Gothic-y retellings of fairy tales.

Shannon (sianin) Oh and I forgot another that I have enjoyed:
Three Views of Crystal Water

Diane D. Terri McMillan - not all, but some of her books I loved: Mama, A Day Late and a Dollar Short, and Disappearing Acts

message 70: by Ed (last edited May 31, 2009 07:26AM) (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 193 comments Favorite Female Author: Colleen McCullough

Favorite book written by a woman: "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank.

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) After 50 Messagess mostof my favorite female authors have already been mentioned, except:
Alexandra Fuller, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight
Jeanette Walls,The Glass Castle
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love
Laura Esquirel, Like Water for Chocolate
Sandra Cisneros, House on Mango Street

Lynai L.M. Montgomery! :)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 207 comments My favorite female author is S.E. Hinton, I love her books. Some other books I like by female authors are:

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Fiona (bookcoop) A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Just finished it and it's brilliant. I really want her other books now, which is a pain actually..

Atishay | 1451 comments Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. My favorite author would have to be Harper Lee.

message 76: by Margarita (last edited Jun 16, 2009 08:24PM) (new)

Margarita It never ceases to amaze me what a big deal t is to be a woman writer, chef, doctor, critic, etc. Aren't we supposed to have made progess??? Well, some of these ladies were active when "progess" was a bold thought, if it isn't now... Some are doing their work as we speak, and thank G-d(ess)!

Marina Tsvetayeva
Simone de Beauvoir
Ayn Rand
Harper Lee
Daphne Du Maurier
Margaret Drabble
Margaret Atwood
Anna Gavalda
Tatiana Ulitskaya
Darya Dontsova
Lisa See
Jackie Wullschlager

I am currently reading a book by Nicole Mones, "The Last Chinese Chef", who is quickly becoming a favorite and is defintely worth mentioning here!

Liz (lizgore) | 8 comments any of the bronte sisters and jane austen

Liz (lizgore) | 8 comments and stephenie meyer

Caitlin (kraaivrouw) Iris Murdoch - I'd start with A Severed Head & then move on to my other favorite The Sea, The Sea.

I know that The Secret History has been mentioned & it's well worth the read.

I also really some of Elizabeth Hand's stuff: Waking the Moon is especially entertaining.

If you like fantasy, Michelle Sagara West's books, The Sun Sword Cycle beginning with The Broken Crown is so excellent I catch myself re-reading it about once a year.

Robin Hobb's another good fantasy writer. I'd start with Assassin's Apprentice.

For YA books I always recommend the Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper. It starts with this one: Over Sea, Under Stone.

If you like short stories, you have to read Eudora Welty - she's amazing.

I'm also fond of Alice Adam's work, I've read & re-read Listening to Billy.

For old school British mysteries there's Dorothy L. Sayers. Lord Peter Wimsey is, of course, great, but I think my favorite of hers is her Oxford novel - Gaudy Night. Add on Agatha Christie & pd james & Ruth Rendell & you're set.

I'm awfully fond of Marge Piercy, although not all of her stuff holds up given changing times. From a similar sensibility is Fear of Flying which is still hilarious.

I also like Francine du Plessix Gray. She's written some amazing stuff - both fiction & non-fiction.

I'm realizing I could go on all night, so I'll stop.

Dan Porter (ChaoticReader) My favorite female authors for fiction are Isabel Allende and Virginia Woolf. For non-fiction it would have to be Annie Dillard.

Sharon Ellis | 177 comments I am enjoying seeing men answer this question.

message 82: by El (new)

El Annie Dillard is awesome and completely underrated.

message 85: by Roseann (last edited Jun 19, 2009 08:26AM) (new)

Roseann | 392 comments I can't bring it down to one specific favorite but the top three would have to be:

Connie Willis
Nancy Kress
Jane Austin

And if I had to list a specific book-

Bellwether
Beggars In Spain
Pride and Prejudice

Megan Lyons | 36 comments Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald is probably my favourite novel.

message 87: by Yasmin (last edited Jun 21, 2009 10:30AM) (new)

Yasmin My favourite female authors are: Colette, Simon de Beauvoir, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, Anne Bronte, Harper Lee, Anne Frank, d'bi young, Madhur Jaffery, Marjane Satrapi, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Anita Desai,
My favourite books by women authors: anything by Colette, and the above authors, Mildred D. Taylor "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry", Marguerite Abouet "Aya", Elizabeth B. Moyuihan "The Moonlight Garden: New Discoveries at the Taj Mahal", Zeenut Zait "Magnificent Mughals", Adhaf Souief "A Map of Love", Madhu Jain "The Kapoors", Mende Nazer "Slave", Jackie Morris and Carol Ann Duffy "The Barefoot Book of Classic Poems", Sarah B. Pomeroy "Goddesses, Whores, Wives and Slaves: women in Classical Antiquity". The list goes on! Oscar Wilde, Tariq Ali and Honore de Balzac are brilliant at writing women characters.

Megan Lyons | 36 comments Irene wrote: "Barbara Kingsolver - Poisonwood Bible
Anything by Miriam Toews
Anne Marie MacDonald - Fall on Your Knees , As the Crow Flies
Jane Smiley - esp. Horse Heaven, My Year at the Races
Pat Barker - e..."

Wow, I love Kingsolver, Toews and MacDonald. I need to write down the rest form your list! I like your taste.

Upsilamba_pelikaan | 1 comments Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Alex No one's mentioned Mary Shelley's Frankenstein yet? That book is amazing.

Karen | 28 comments I don't see where anyone has mentioned Isabelle Allende, Daughter of Fortune, my favorite, or Colleen McCullough, the Thorn Birds and many others. So many to choose from!

Karen | 28 comments Sorry Dan, I did see you mentioned Isabelle Allende.

Karen | 28 comments and Ed Colleen McCullough..I should have looked closer.

Beck (bookwormbeck) | 22 comments my fav female authors would be simone elkeles and kelly armstrong

Lilian (Lilian_Nattel) | 18 comments Alice Munro, Carol Shields, Louise Ehrdrich, Kiran Desai.

Kandice | 3430 comments I don't know if anyone has mentioned her, but Lucia St. Clair Robson writes beautifully and somehow gets so much historical detail in her books without ever seeming to be lecturing. It's retainable information, too, which is always a plus.

message 97: by Betsy (last edited Jun 10, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments What I discovered is that I read mostly female authors. So my goal ought to be to find more male authors I guess????
Anyway I thought I'd drop a few names. Mostly I read mysteries and alot of times they have strong women characters. The cozy mysteries especially seem to be written by women.
Whittig-Albert China Bayles in Pecan Texas runs a herb shop,while her best friend Ruby runs the New Age store
Tamara Meyers has two "series" Both are very "punny". One character runs an Amish bed and breakfast while the other runs an antque store in Richmond
Sharyn McCrumb also has two series-the Elizabeth McPhearson books which are absolutely hysterical and her Ballad novels.Her Appalachian mysteries make social commentary about the South and their legends. She is one of my favorite authors.
Nevada Barr and the Anna Pidgeon series which is about a female park ranger and different national parks in the US
J.Jantz with with her Joanna Brady series is a female sheriff in the West.
Some of the others mentioned here I also enjoy Jody Picoult, Anita Shreve ect...
These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head,so you ought to find at least one or two of these interesting.

Bhumi | 524 comments To name a few:
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments My favorite female author is Anne Perry. I think it really sucks that I cannot enjoy reading since the strokes. I have to read every sentence five times before it even begins to sink in. I hope I make as speedy a recovery as I appear to be making on my left side.

Vanessa (vanessarichardson) | 1 comments Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God.