The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > What's your favorite female author or favorite book by a woman?

Comments (showing 101-131 of 131) (131 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 211 comments Jennifer Crusie
Janet Evanovich
Jen Lancaster
Sherrilyn Kenyon (also uses the pen name Kenley McGregor)

message 102: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Sharyn McCrumb is my favorite female author. Although for some unknown reason I tend to favor female authors,I truly enjoy sharyn Mcrumb for her sense of voice. Her similies and metaphors suit the region and the characters .

message 103: by Carol (new)

Carol Catamorandi wrote: "My favorite female author is Anne Perry. I think it really sucks that I cannot enjoy reading since the strokes. I have to read every sentence five times before it even begins to sink in. I hope ..."

Maybe if you listened and read simultaneously, read the book and listen to it. It might help to train your eye and ears together.

message 104: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Slade (MarleneKSlade) | 22 comments Anne Rice - Interview with the Vampire. I want to be as great a writer as Ms. Rice. She is my favorite author of all time. I love her poetry with words. Her deep love and fond attachment to her characters, and I love that this famous lady writer is so down to earth and loves to stay in touch with her fans. Meeting her and talking with her at her book signing for Merrick was one of the best times in my life.

message 105: by Myne (new)

Myne Whitman | 15 comments Hello everyone,

It will have to be A Heart to Mend, to this group. The book is about two people, Edward and Gladys, who meet and are attracted to each other almost immediately, but have difficulty in resolving their feelings, especially because of Edward's past and other twists. The concept for "A Heart To Mend" is from the theme of unconditional love.

Since it was first published in December 2009 in the United States, A Heart to Mend has received lots of attention including reviews by Nigerian Writer Nze Ifedigbo and offer of being published in Nigeria as reported in the national newspapers.

You can read chapter one of the book on Freado, see the book trailer video on Youtube, become a fan on Facebook and follow me on Twitter. More information can be found on my website, and the A Heart to Mend Blog

The following is a link to a radio interview by the author with Anjuelle Floyd Author/MFT on Book Talk, Creativity and Family Matters

[image error]

message 106: by Kaion (last edited Jun 20, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) You're your own favorite author?

We have rules regarding self-promotion in this group, please read them: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 107: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3488 comments Tsk, tsk...

message 108: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 226 comments Kandice wrote: "Tsk, tsk..."

My thoughts exactly!

message 109: by Alex (new)

Alex Myne, what happens when people spam the boards like this is that we all have a negative feeling toward your book now. If there was any chance any of us might have read it, there isn't anymore. So you've hurt yourself here.

message 110: by Myne (new)

Myne Whitman | 15 comments Hi Kaion, Kandice, Sam and Alex, Thanks for the pointers, will check them out.

message 111: by Robi (new)

Robi (cherryteacher) | 2 comments Love, love, love Suzanne Collins and her "Hunger games" series. Such a strong female character even if it is YA reading.

Also like

J.K Rowling
Jane Austen
Patricia Cornwell

message 112: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Some of my very favorite female authors include:

*Pearl S. Buck (The Good Earth, Pavilion of Women, etc.)
Isak Dinesen (Out of Africa)
Fannie Flagg (all)
*Judith Guest (Ordinary People)
S.E. Hinton (The Outsiders, Rumble Fish)
*Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird)
Colleen McCullough (all)
Anchee Min (all)
*Lisa See (all)
Kathryn Stockett (The Help)
*Amy Tan (all)
Alice Walker (The Color Purple)
*Laura Ingalls Wilder (all)

For those who love Pearl Buck, I always recommend Amy Tan and Lisa See. For those who love Amy Tan's most popular I recommend reading her Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel. For those wanting light & fun, you can't go wrong with Fannie Flagg. For anyone wanting to relive their childhood please start re-reading the series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

message 113: by Kaion (last edited Jun 29, 2010 11:13PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Gee, F1Wild, maybe you were born in the frontier years, but I certainly don't remember any log houses... ^_~ Thanks for the recommendations. Been meaning to check out more Amy Tan; I liked her The Joy Luck Club while recognizing she's probably improved. (Just haven't gotten around to it, I'm afraid).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments Gee, Kaion, you must not have grown up with the Little House books, which some of us certainly did. For me they would indeed be a trip down memory lane, and not because I grew up in a log cabin. (I grew up in a split-level ranch, actually.)

message 115: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I was (mostly) joking. They really weren't vogue when I was growing up, though I do recall Little House in the Big Woods and Farmer Boy.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments I thought you were, but I wasn't quite sure, LOL.

My favorites in the series, I think, are Little House in the Big Woods and The Long Winter.

I suspect it would have been nearly impossible for little girls growing up in the 70s not to have read them! They were everywhere - in school and on TV, even.

message 117: by El (new)

El Somehow I managed to not really read those Little House books as a kid. Maybe the first one or whatever. For some reason I have a vivid memory of my oldest brother reading The Long Winter though. Not sure what made that memory stick.

message 118: by F1Wild (last edited Jun 30, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Kaion wrote: "Gee, F1Wild, maybe you were born in the frontier years, but I certainly don't remember any log houses... ^_~ Thanks for the recommendations. Been meaning to check out more Amy Tan; I liked her The Joy Luck Club while recognizing she's probably improved. (Just haven't gotten around to it, I'm afraid). "

And I've been told I don't look a day over 130...Haha, aren't you the funny one! ;-)) Actually the books were among the first big series for a lot of us (along with Nancy Drew-yikes!). But then the TV series came along and who didn't wish Michael Landon was our very own Pa??

As I had said, I recommend reading Amy Tan's latest novel, Saving Fish from Drowning: A Novel. It's unlike any of her other books. So, if you're not into the Asian mother & daughter stuff this book will work for you.

Now, back to my plowing fields, chopping wood, milking cows and churning butter.......

message 119: by Carol (new)

Carol And reading by candlelight .

I thought Saving Fish From Drowning was hilarious. I loved it.

message 120: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Carol (akittykat) wrote: "And reading by candlelight.
"

Pa just bought a new oil lamp at Olsen's store. Now we can have light all the time! ;-))

message 121: by Carol (new)

Carol LOL

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments F1Wild wrote: "Carol (akittykat) wrote: "And reading by candlelight.
"
Pa just bought a new oil lamp at Olsen's store. Now we can have light all the time! ;-))"

Lucky you!

message 123: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Lucky Mary - doesn't need a light to read.

(OK, I know - bad taste)

message 124: by El (new)

El HAH!!

message 126: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Is that you, Mr. Edwards??

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments No, he's still fording the river.

message 128: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 484 comments Haha, or is Reverend Alden just trying to baptize him again?? ;-)

message 129: by Sue (new)

Sue | 168 comments Muriel Stark
Minette Walters
Fay Weldon

message 130: by Carol (last edited Jul 02, 2010 04:58AM) (new)

Carol Sue wrote: "Muriel Stark
Minette Walters
Fay Weldon"

What do you like about Ms. Sparks writing? Sometimes I find her a bit jumbled.

message 131: by Sue (new)

Sue | 168 comments She can be but she can also be quite acerbic with a quiet wit.

1 3 next »