The Shire-folk discussion

General Hobbit Stuff > The Shire

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jøℌαᾔηα »ℑ'м α ℓїттł℮ мøяℯ тℌαη υşεℓℯşş« (hobbitandproud) | 803 comments Mod
[image error]

The Shire. This place has got to be one of the best countries of Middle Earth. Green, rolling hills and farmlands, hobbit-holes ... what more could you want?
Discuss it here - would you want to live in the Shire? Anyone been to the actual location in New Zealand created for the films?

message 2: by Lótë (Iris) (last edited May 03, 2013 12:35AM) (new)

Lótë (Iris) (Irisflowerpoppyseed) | 32 comments Yes I would want to live in the Shire!
No, unfortunately, I have not visited the actual location.
But I want too :)

Lucinda | 94 comments Ah, the Shire! What a wonderful place in Middle-Earth. It is a place where good company can be found and many merry parites and gatherings. If you are very lucky, you might even see the figure of an old, grey wizard wondering by!

Sworean | 48 comments I went to a fan made shire

Lucinda | 94 comments Sworean wrote: "I went to a fan made shire"

WOW! where was that?

Sworean | 48 comments florda... it was fan made... it was kinda cool other than THE LOCATION LOOKED FAKE. really what hobbit lives in the everglades morons.

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments I would love to run barefoot in the shire grass :)

Sworean | 48 comments you know its just golf grass right XD

Narnian525 wrote: "I would love to run barefoot in the shire grass :)"

Me, too <3 It sounds so perfect there!!

Claire King | 17 comments I've been to skippers canyon where the river washed away the nasgul.. It looked exactly like it did in the movie. Also I flew over the misty mountains on a small plane from queenstown to Milford sound and the pilot was going on about LOTR and I looked out the window and went "omg that's where Gandalf fought the Balrog". The pilots response was " I was just about to point that out. You have watched the movies way too many times" :)

Claire King | 17 comments Also driving through southern NZ towards Dunedin was amazing. Felt like I was actually in the shire. What a beautiful country. :)

Claire wrote: "I've been to skippers canyon where the river washed away the nasgul.. It looked exactly like it did in the movie. Also I flew over the misty mountains on a small plane from queenstown to Milford so..."

That is so cool <3

Claire wrote: "Also driving through southern NZ towards Dunedin was amazing. Felt like I was actually in the shire. What a beautiful country. :)"

(:

L.Y. Levand (LYLevand) | 334 comments Mod
I would love to live in the Shire! But no, I've never been to the location in NZ. I want to, though. That would be amazing. I'm so jealous of the people who've been to the locations, lol. I want to see them! xD

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments One of my friends is going to New Zealand this June. Maybe she'll get to visit where The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia movies were filmed. I really want to go xD

Ruth | 154 comments I wanna live in the Shire

Narnian525 wrote: "One of my friends is going to New Zealand this June. Maybe she'll get to visit where The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia movies were filmed. I really want to go xD"

There's a chance she wouldn't go?? :O

XD That's awesome, Rachel! ^^

I. Need. To. Go. >____<

@Ruth Don't we all? :D

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments It would really be a wonderful and carefree place to live :)

Narnian525 wrote: "It would really be a wonderful and carefree place to live :)"

Yesss <3 and peaceful, and beautiful, and perfect. It's like paradise o-o

message 20: by Azella (last edited May 12, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Azella  Fernández Castañón (azellarose) | 30 comments I would love to live in the serene paradise that is the Shire. I can smell contentment when I dream of its pastures, the Party Tree, the lake and the cosy little hobbit holes.

With regard to actually being a LOTR location:
I have been to Matamata but not for long. Also, this year I was down at Nelson for summer camp and I actually passed the river where they were filming the barrel scene for 'The Hobbit'!
I kid you not, there was a truck there filled with weapons and costumes. And many other trucks and vehicles. I haphazardly took a photo of the barrels (and a four second video although you wouldn't want to see it what with me squealing in the background).
Then this NZ Army guy told me and my group to keep moving because we might start something (abduction of the Hobbit cast...maybe)

Those lovely events have got me fired up for a future LOTR tour. I've got the LOTR location guidebook by Ian Brodie. It's a lovely book and good for cultural tourism. I recommend any fellow Shireling get him or herself a copy.

The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie

Azella wrote: "I would love to live in the serene paradise that is the Shire. I can smell contentment when I dream of its pastures, the Party Tree, the lake and the cosy little hobbit holes.

With regard to actua..."

Wow! You saw them ... ugh, jealous :D Even if you didn't see the actors :P I'm jealous :) So cool!
Cool; I'll have to check it out :)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments I'd like to meet Sean Astin and Sara McLeod and ask them their thoughts on filming the wedding scene. I assume that they enjoyed it.

Azella  Fernández Castañón (azellarose) | 30 comments I was this close to seeing them. This close!!!!!

Azella wrote: "I was this close to seeing them. This close!!!!!"

Haha, aw, that must have been really annoying >.< I feel your pain! D:

Ruth | 154 comments Azella wrote: "I would love to live in the serene paradise that is the Shire. I can smell contentment when I dream of its pastures, the Party Tree, the lake and the cosy little hobbit holes.

With regard to actua..."

That is so freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azella wrote: "I would love to live in the serene paradise that is the Shire. I can smell contentment when I dream of its pastures, the Party Tree, the lake and the cosy little hobbit holes.

With regard to actua..."

Oh my goodness, that's amazing! :O Too bad you couldn't get any closer, though. That would have been so awesome! I'm a little jealous. xD

L.Y. wrote: "Oh my goodness, that's amazing! :O Too bad you couldn't get any closer, though. That would have been so awesome! I'm a little jealous. xD "

'A little'. L.Y. is more self controlled than me xD I'm super jealous! ^^

ღ♣✽Hobbit and Proud✽♣ღ (a.k.a. Johanna) wrote: "L.Y. wrote: "Oh my goodness, that's amazing! :O Too bad you couldn't get any closer, though. That would have been so awesome! I'm a little jealous. xD "

'A little'. L.Y. is more self controlled th..."

I try not to get too carried away...I should at least maintain an appearance of sanity. xD

xD

message 30: by Hold_My_Heart (last edited May 27, 2013 10:44PM) (new)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments My friend is flying out to Australia and New Zealand this summer on June 22nd. I'm so jealous! xD I asked her if she was a Lord of the Rings fan, and I was surprised when she told me she wasn't. I was like, what?? I was hoping to find a new LOTR fan in real life again besides my sister and brother, so when she said that it's like a record scratched in my head. When I asked her why, she told me that the story was way too confusing for her to understand. I guess some people don't get what J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson out out there. Oh well, everyone has opinions, I guess. But fortunately, there are some of us fans out there who like it and understand it at the same time.

Fortunately ^^ And we're all here, so you can rave to us about it as much as you like when you are in need of LOTR fan friends xD

That's so sad ... especially since she's coming to NZ!

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments ღ♣✽Hobbit and Proud✽♣ღ (a.k.a. Johanna) wrote: "Fortunately ^^ And we're all here, so you can rave to us about it as much as you like when you are in need of LOTR fan friends xD

That's so sad ... especially since she's coming to NZ!"

ha ha, thanks Johanna :) Us ringers need to stick together ;). ikr? I was also hoping to tell her to keep an eye out for the movie sets.

Yesss <3 Ringerz Unite! ^^

Sad :'( I can see what she means about the stories being complicated, though ... just means we must be really smart xD

message 34: by Hold_My_Heart (last edited May 28, 2013 12:33AM) (new)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments Right. I don't think it takes a lot to understand The Lord of the Rings. Sure, it takes up a lot of your time, but once people understand the races, characters, and the main plot, they're good to go. Oh, can you believe my aunt said that the book is boring so far? I'm starting to get her hooked on it, and she said the chapters are putting her to sleep. Just because it's a long book, doesn't mean it's boring. A lot of the parts have certainly kept my attention.

:o

I haven't been able to find anyone but my cousin that's as into it as me in real life, lol. Most people haven't read the books, and only give me funny looks if I mention something like 'did you know that Merry and Pippin and Sam were involved in a conspiracy that involved spying on Frodo before they left the Shire?' xD That's why I'm so glad these groups exist.

Narnian, before your friend goes, you need to educate her, lol. Then it won't be confusing, because she'll have a smart person (you) explaining it all! Then she can be a fan, and you can have a fan-friend in real-life. :D

Lord of the Rings isn't a casual read for most people. But once you get started, you keep going, lol. It took me about a week to get into The Fellowship of the Ring, half that for The Two Towers, and then I finished Return of the King in two days. So it's worth the effort! It just builds slowly, is all.

message 37: by Hold_My_Heart (last edited May 29, 2013 09:33AM) (new)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments L.Y. wrote: "I haven't been able to find anyone but my cousin that's as into it as me in real life, lol. Most people haven't read the books, and only give me funny looks if I mention something like 'did you kno..."

Okay. I don't want to force her to like it though. I do need to be courteous too and understand that everyone has different opinions. Don"t worry, I still love LOTR, but she's the type of person who gets offended easily if you talk a lot about what you like. In other words, she's the type of person who loves talking about herself but when you tell her your interests or beliefs, she laughs. She's a really good friend, but a lot of times I think she's self centered. We used to be the best of friends, and now we're just so so friends/acquaintances. So, I'll explain, but then I'll leave the desicion of whether she wants to like it or not, up to her. Sometimes I wish she wasn't like that, I think her new school that she's gong to changed her personality. It's not like we hate each other now, we still talk on ocassion, but we're not as close as we used to be.

Narnian525 wrote: "Okay. I don't want to force her to like it though. I do need to be courteous too and understand that everyone has different opinions. Don"t worry, I still love LOTR, but she's the type of person who gets offended easily if you talk a lot about what you like. In other words, she's the type of person who loves talking about herself but when you tell her your interests or beliefs, she laughs. She's a really good friend, but a lot of times I think she's self centered. We used to be the best of friends, and now we're just so so friends/acquaintances. So, I'll explain, but then I'll leave the desicion of whether she wants to like it or not, up to her. Sometimes I wish she wasn't like that, I think her new school that she's gong to changed her personality. It's not like we hate each other now, we still talk on ocassion, but we're not as close as we used to be."

Of course. :) I didn't mean be pushy. And if she doesn't like it after all, then we can just have fun without her. It's very nice that you'll respect her wishes like that. ^-^

If I were in your place, I'd probably just ask her to read it :)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments ღ♣✽Hobbit and Proud✽♣ღ (a.k.a. Johanna) wrote: "If I were in your place, I'd probably just ask her to read it :)"

The problem is, she doesn't like to read :P

That's the kind of friend that would make me rip my hair out, and laugh at the same time. xD One of my friends hasn't read the books, and hasn't even seen the movies! I managed to talk her into a deal, though. I agreed to watch all three new Batman movies, if she would watch The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with me. Extended editions of course. So I'm planning a marathon for sometime in the next few months. :)

Has she seen the movies?

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments L.Y. wrote: "That's the kind of friend that would make me rip my hair out, and laugh at the same time. xD One of my friends hasn't read the books, and hasn't even seen the movies! I managed to talk her into a d..."

I don't know

Hm. Would she listen to someone read them? If they're available as audiobooks maybe that's a way in the back door. ;)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments L.Y. wrote: "Hm. Would she listen to someone read them? If they're available as audiobooks maybe that's a way in the back door. ;)"

I'm going to ask her. How should I word it?

How about "I know you don't like to read much, and I know you don't like Lord of the Rings, but if I asked REALLLLY nicely, would you listen to the audio books?"

That's something like what I would say, but since I don't know your friend, it's hard to tell. *shrugs* You know her better than I do, so you'll probably have a better idea. Good luck!

message 46: by Hold_My_Heart (last edited Jun 02, 2013 08:09AM) (new)

Hold_My_Heart  (TheLordisMyRedeemerandShepherd) | 483 comments L.Y. wrote: "How about "I know you don't like to read much, and I know you don't like Lord of the Rings, but if I asked REALLLLY nicely, would you listen to the audio books?"

That's something like what I woul..."

Okay :) thanks. I'll tell her on her Facebook account. Lets keep our fingers crossed that she'll be willing to give it a shot!

*crosses fingers* If she's not, oh well! We'll just continue to have fun anyway, lol.

Chor - Ringwinner, Luckwearer, and Barrel-Rider wrote: "The Shire is quite honestly the most beautiful place I have ever seen."

Agreed.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook (other topics)