Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > New Facebook timeline and Goodreads section

Comments (showing 1-50 of 90) (90 new)    post a comment »

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments I've been moved over to the new style Facebook timeline, which sorts on the likes, apps etc onto the left hand side. There is a "books" section as well as a "goodreads" listed as options when I attempt to "edit sections.

However, ticking "Goodreads" to show on teh left hand side does nothing. Goodreads doesn't appear. I have imported all my goodreads books into the facebook "books" section, but would prefer to view the goodread app in my timeline

Cheers

Neil

Tina Milledge | 6 comments I have a similar problem. I have just one book showing in my Goodreads box on the lefthand side of my Facebook timeline. It's not even a book I read recently.

Vanessa It's not working for me either. It hasn't updated since 5th April, and before that was inverting the dates I started and finished books.

message 4: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Emily | 1473 comments Mod
Neil, have you changed some of the Goodreads stories in your Activity Log to "shown on Timeline?" This usually indicates to Facebook that you value those stories, and thus it's more likely that a box will show up.

Tina, are there other Goodreads stories showing up on your main Timeline?

Vanessa, it does look like Facebook isn't updating properly for you. I removed your latest authentication on this end. Try logging back in to Goodreads with Facebook and pushing an update.

Tina Milledge | 6 comments hi, no, nothing is showing on my main timeline, I just see activity under the 'recent activity' section.

Olivia (Croft) Tina wrote: "hi, no, nothing is showing on my main timeline, I just see activity under the 'recent activity' section."

do they have a upgrade on goodread that on fb, that on there?

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments Whenever I publish reviews etc to Facebook from goodreads, I always manually go to Facebook to make sure they are "published to timeline". This issue with the left hand box not appearing has only started to occur since the new timeline layout

Tina Milledge | 6 comments Neil, I just tried that, it's great if I'm on my PC, but I'm pretty sure I can't get into my activity log when using my Kindle Fire to check "shown on timeline".

Olivia, no idea about an upgrade...

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments My facebook timeline is still not showing any of my recent activity from goodreads correctly.

Here are a number of screen shots from my facebook profile

Shot 1 is take from the More >> Goodreads option at the top for my timeline. It appears blank, this cannot be correct, as I have been posting reviews, ratings etc for years.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/e...

Shot 2 and 3 are from my Activity log. Shot 2 shows the recent posts from goodreads from 5th May, which should be present in shot 1?

Shot 3 is a goodreads specific activity log, also should be showing in shot 1?

Shot 4 shows the posts for my rating of "The Spire", which I completed 5th May in goodreads, but for some reason has posted to my timeline dated 28th March

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments Just a bump to see if someone can take a look at this

message 11: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Neil, sorry for the delay!

The first screenshot (the Goodreads box displaying no activity) is a known bug that we're working with Facebook to resolve. It seems to be an issue with the way that our app communicates with Facebook, so our teams are trying to determine which side actually has the bug.

The last screenshot is an issue that we just fixed. We saw that book actions were "predating" when you finished a book. For example, if you shelved a book on the 1st of the month and finished it on the 10th, the story would post to the 1st. This should now work correctly, and the story will post on the 10th. The change isn't retroactive, though; if you want the past stories to display correctly, you'll have to edit and save your review with the Facebook box checked.

Jennifer (President, Chronic Complainers Not-so-Anonymous) | 1833 comments Emily, I never cease to be impressed by the efficiency of staff responses to these issues. Have a lovely weekend - you and your colleagues deserve it!

message 13: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Emily, I never cease to be impressed by the efficiency of staff responses to these issues. Have a lovely weekend - you and your colleagues deserve it!"

Thanks so much! Hope yours is wonderful as well.

Olivia (Croft) Emily wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Emily, I never cease to be impressed by the efficiency of staff responses to these issues. Have a lovely weekend - you and your colleagues deserve it!"

Thanks so much! Hope yours..."

yep

Tina Milledge | 6 comments I noticed an update on % of book read appeared on my timeline yesterday, so that's ok, but is there any reason why I still have only one (old) book showing up in the Goodreads 'section' that appears down the left hand side?

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments Tina wrote: "I noticed an update on % of book read appeared on my timeline yesterday, so that's ok, but is there any reason why I still have only one (old) book showing up in the Goodreads 'section' that appear..."

I don't even have the goodreads section on the left hand side. Although I think its linked to the bug identified in post 11 above (screenshot 1)

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments Emily wrote: "Neil, sorry for the delay!

The first screenshot (the Goodreads box displaying no activity) is a known bug that we're working with Facebook to resolve. It seems to be an issue with the way that ou..."

Hello, and thanks for getting back to me. I'd echo Jennifers comments above about the speed of response.

With regards to the issues raised with screenshot 4, which has been fixed, does the problem apply to all my past goodreads posts on facebook timeline?

Tina Milledge | 6 comments Here's my version of your screenshot 1, Neil, as you can see I have just the one book out of hundreds :)
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t2...

Here's the same lonely book showing in the 'section' on the left side of my timeline:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t2...
No problem with seeing all my latest Goodread books under the 'books' section though.

message 20: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Tina wrote: "I noticed an update on % of book read appeared on my timeline yesterday, so that's ok, but is there any reason why I still have only one (old) book showing up in the Goodreads 'section' that appear..."

Tina, that's very strange (and exciting - I haven't seen activity appear in that box yet!). Is the book in the box the latest one you've written a review for?

Neil wrote: "With regards to the issues raised with screenshot 4, which has been fixed, does the problem apply to all my past goodreads posts on facebook timeline? "

Yes, it unfortunately applies to all past posts. This means that the date won't change on its own, but you can edit and re-save the reviews on the Goodreads site to send the correct story to Facebook.

Tina Milledge | 6 comments Emily, when I found Goodreads I added a few books that I'd read in the past. This was one of them. I joined in the new year so def not recent, and I wouldn't have left reviews on the ones I added then.

message 22: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

There are some bugs associated with the box, so it doesn't work reliably right now. I'll update everyone when we're able to fix it, though. Sorry about that :(

message 23: by Richard (last edited Jun 11, 2013 05:40PM) (new)

Richard Evans (neponyne) | 1 comments I'm close to giving up on Goodreads Facebook integration. I've read the official instructions, related posts here and attempted every suggestion and conceivable combinations of.

When I "edit sections" on Facebook and see "Goodreads" along with "Music", "Books", etc., expect it to behave similarly. Facebook's sections checked do appear on the left side of my profile, however selecting "Goodreads" does nothing. I can get activity to show on my timeline, only that is not my objective.

In fact, I'd rather not force my activity into other's feeds at all. For anyone purposely viewing my profile, it would be nice if they good see Goodreads (I do not want to maintain all my books in Facebook's clumsy interface). I was mortified when attempting to add books through Goodreads into Facebook's "Books" section, then realizing individual selections were being posted to friend's feeds. Luckily stopped in time to hide the activity.

What I'd like to see is a "Goodreads" section resembling the widgets available for personal web pages and blogs. Apparently that does not exist.

Colette | 3 comments Help! I have had problems with the fb/goodreads app before, but I can't figure this out. My goodreads books have not appeared on my FB page for the past 4 books. I checked my settings (it does this on all my devices) on by Goodreads and FB. As far as I know, nothing has changed. Granted, this has only been since June 4th (I'm a quick, fast reader). Again, help!

message 25: by Robin (last edited Jun 12, 2013 11:02PM) (new)

Robin | 35 comments Same problem as Colette above - not sure why the updates quit working. The last 3 or 4, nothing. The last update that posted to Facebook was June 2nd.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I had to disconnect my fb from goodreads, then remove the app on facebook, then readd it there, then reconnect both accounts, then when posting an update here, i had to uncheck the little facebook thingy, then recheck it which gave me a little popup asking for my permission to have goodreads post on my timeline on my behalf, which i approved. it has been working again since then. the section is still screwed up but at least my updates do show again on my timeline :)

Rachael (rachrogers) | 1 comments Hi. About a week or so ago, my goodreads quit updating on my time. I tried what J4n3 suggested above, and it's still not working for me. Any suggestions?

message 28: by Colette (last edited Jun 13, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Colette | 3 comments I am so glad I am not alone. I also tried uninstalling the app, but nothing worked. I am hoping a goodreads moderator helps us out :)

Neil Powell (el_gringo) | 22 comments If you are having recent problems posting to facebook timeline, follow the instructions in message 25 in this following thread, that worked for me

www.goodreads.com/topic/show/759602-n...

Colette | 3 comments Thank you, Neil. That worked!!!

Elizabeth | 1 comments Emily wrote: "We saw that book actions were "predating" when you finished a book. For example, if you shelved a book on the 1st of the month and finished it on the 10th, the story would post to the 1st. This should now work correctly, and the story will post on the 10th. The change isn't retroactive, though; if you want the past stories to display correctly, you'll have to edit and save your review with the Facebook box checked.

I'm still wrestling this bug. I shelved a certain book on January 16, 2013. I started reading it on June 15 and finished it this evening (June 19). I've just rated it, and the rating posted to my Facebook Timeline on January 16. I tried to correct the date by reopening the review, adding a private note, and saving it again, but it's still back at January 16 on FB.

Meanwhile, GR no longer shows in my list of apps on the left side, although if I click through App Settings, it's still listed as one of my apps. I'm on FB's new design, if that's part of the problem.

Janyne (jmkizer) | 5 comments Richard wrote: "I'm close to giving up on Goodreads Facebook integration. I've read the official instructions, related posts here and attempted every suggestion and conceivable combinations of.

When I "edit sec..."

Mine stopped working on June 6. I have tried following the steps several times using different browsers and nothing seems to work. Not sure if FB or Goodreads is the problem but I am annoyed.

Ozum Akanser | 1 comments Mine stopped working the last couple of days. I disconnected goodreads from facebook then connected them back again but didn't work. Then I followed the instructions goodreads provides but that didn't work either. I just wrote to them, now it's wait and see..

message 34: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Richard wrote: "I'm close to giving up on Goodreads Facebook integration. I've read the official instructions, related posts here and attempted every suggestion and conceivable combinations of.

When I "edit sec..."

Our app doesn't behave the same way as the default "Music" and "Books" because it's a third-party app. It should feed into your "Books" section, but posting information to your Goodreads section will automatically post the story to your Facebook newsfeed as well (depending on how much you interact with the app). I can pass along your feedback to our development team, though.

The box on the left-hand side not showing up is actually a known bug. This box populates from the "Goodreads Activity" box that you see on the "More" tab, which is usually empty because of a bug. Sorry about that :(

message 35: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (last edited Jul 08, 2013 12:50PM) (new)

Robin wrote: "Same problem as Colette above - not sure why the updates quit working. The last 3 or 4, nothing. The last update that posted to Facebook was June 2nd."

It looks like our last authentication token for your Timeline expired. I just removed this on the admin side, so try logging in through Facebook and then pushing another update to see if that makes a difference.

Rachael wrote: "Hi. About a week or so ago, my goodreads quit updating on my time. I tried what J4n3 suggested above, and it's still not working for me. Any suggestions?"

It looks like your account is pushing updates successfully - are you still having issues?

Elizabeth wrote: "Emily wrote: "We saw that book actions were "predating" when you finished a book. For example, if you shelved a book on the 1st of the month and finished it on the 10th, the story would post to the..."

I'm sorry to hear that! Can you send us some screenshots of this bug to support at goodreads dot com so that we can look into it further?

Goodreads won't show up in the list of the apps on the left until we're able to fix the bug that has to do with the Goodreads Activity box (under the "More" section of your Timeline). If this box is empty, you won't get a box on the left of your Timeline either.

Janyne wrote: "Richard wrote: "I'm close to giving up on Goodreads Facebook integration. I've read the official instructions, related posts here and attempted every suggestion and conceivable combinations of.

..."

It looks like updates sent from your account today. Are you still having trouble?

Ozum wrote: "Mine stopped working the last couple of days. I disconnected goodreads from facebook then connected them back again but didn't work. Then I followed the instructions goodreads provides but that did..."

Ozum, your latest authentication also expired. I removed it on the admin side, so try logging in through Facebook and then pushing an update.

Patricia (rizeandshine) | 2 comments I am guessing that my authentication has expired as the app is no longer adding updates to my timeline. How do I push an update? By clicking 'Add all your books to Facebook'?

Lindsey | 7 comments I've removed the Goodreads facebook 'App' from my personal facebook page ... it's been displaying only one book since February, and has failed to dsiplay any other Goodreads updates since then.

The Goodreads 'App' that feeds my facebook group from my Bookgroup's Goodreads group is updating regularly (including updating with the correct edition) but cuts short and displays only three and a half books ... I'm sure it used to display more, but there is no way of changing it to display more books.

message 38: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Patricia wrote: "I am guessing that my authentication has expired as the app is no longer adding updates to my timeline. How do I push an update? By clicking 'Add all your books to Facebook'?"

Yep, looks like your token was expired too. Log back in with Facebook and then push an update - by which I mean perform any action on Goodreads that you would expect to go to Facebook. For example, it looks like you have "rating a book" turned on here, so rate any book after you've logged back in to see if that works.

message 39: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Lindsey wrote: "I've removed the Goodreads facebook 'App' from my personal facebook page ... it's been displaying only one book since February, and has failed to dsiplay any other Goodreads updates since then.

Th..."

Unfortunately, the first issue that you mentioned is a known bug. We're working on this with Facebook!

As for the second issue, would it be possible for you to send screenshots to support at goodreads dot com?

message 40: by Sue (last edited Jul 08, 2013 08:04PM) (new)

Sue | 1 comments My last successful Goodreads post to fb was on June 7. I tried Moulhan's suggestion last night, but when I tried to post this evening, nothing appeared on fb. I see Emily (Goodreads Expert Team Leader's) post above and am wondering when Goodreads expects to have the issue resolved?

Patricia (rizeandshine) | 2 comments Oh ok, I already logged in again via Facebook but nothing has been posting to my timeline.

message 42: by Lindsey (last edited Jul 09, 2013 06:41AM) (new)

Lindsey | 7 comments Emily wrote: "Unfortunately, the first issue that you mentioned is a known bug. We're working on this with Facebook!
As for the second issue, would it be possible for you to send screenshots to support at goodreads dot com?"

Thanks Emily ... will do ... :)

message 43: by Cait (last edited Jul 09, 2013 08:39AM) (new)

Cait (caitertot) | 5 comments My GR ratings and read books have also stopped appearing on my FB timeline.

ETA: I followed the instructions on the above linked thread and they seemed to help for now.

message 44: by Kim (last edited Jul 09, 2013 06:54PM) (new)

Kim (catmommie) | 357 comments My GR updates haven't posted to FB in several weeks. Now, I know a couple of times, I've unchecked the blue box, but not on every book.

Once the blue FB box is unchecked under the UGB, does that mean that none of the updates from that book will not post?

Sunil (sunilparashar) | 4 comments Same problem here. I delete the app from Facebook and also remove Facebook from Goodreads. After I reconnect them, I get updates on Facebook for once but it fails the next time.

Kim (catmommie) | 357 comments I did the "trick" posted above, signed in and out of both sites, and still not posting. I am one of the few that DO want my GR info on FB. I've met a lot of readers on there.

message 47: by Emily, Director of Customer Care (new)

Unfortunately, I think we might be dealing with a new bug here. We ask you to log in and out of Facebook because this normally refreshes your authentication token. If the token is expired, then Goodreads no longer has the correct permission to post to Facebook, which is why none of your updates appear. We can also delete this token on the admin side, which is what I've been doing in this thread.

When you log back in, you should be getting a brand-new token that should solve the problem. It looks like a lot of you are still getting errors on your account, though. Chase (our developer who works the most on Facebook) mentioned that we might not be regenerating authentication tokens properly. That is, we remove the token, but then automatically assign you the same faulty one.

Would anyone be willing to help me test this out? Kim, Sunil, and Patricia - I just copied your faulty token to see if it's the same one once it regenerates. Can you try logging in again with Facebook to see if we're giving you the same token? (I'll be able to see this on the admin side.)

message 48: by Taylor (last edited Jul 10, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Taylor Napolsky (TaylorNapolsky) | 10 comments Can someone please help me? My Goodreads FB integration hasn't been working for the past few weeks. I used to post my book reviews to my timeline but suddenly it stopped working.

I have logged in and out of my Facebook account many times, deleted goodreads from Facebook and reinstalled it, and tried that trick mentioned on post 25 of the other thread. None of it worked.

I also posted in that thread trying to figure this out, but nobody responded to me.

Emily, can I be part of your test group? Because I'm sick of this not working. I just want it to go to my timeline when I post reviews with stars, like it always has.

Thanks.

Taylor Napolsky (TaylorNapolsky) | 10 comments For example, I just left a review, but even when I go to my Activity Log on Facebook, and click the goodreads app, the last review to show is some sherlock holmes book from June 24, yet it says "No posts in June or July."

I don't know...the whole thing is messed up. Please help.

Olivia (Croft) Taylor wrote: "For example, I just left a review, but even when I go to my Activity Log on Facebook, and click the goodreads app, the last review to show is some sherlock holmes book from June 24, yet it says "No..."

ikd nethere

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread