The Sword and Laser discussion

Books for people who miss Firefly?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »

Steve Bedford (realityinabox) | 12 comments I'm not sure I could begin to describe the magic that was Firefly/Serenity. If you have seen it, then you know what I'm talking about. I miss it, and I find myself wishing that I could find something similar, both in quality and content.

I have searched google and read threads in other forums, but haven't found anything that has really caught my eye as a suitable salve. There are so many aspects to the show that I love that I realize no book will be able to embody them all, so if post a response, try to state why that book reminds you of Firefly.

message 2: by Pouria (last edited Apr 02, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Pouria (Paganmoon) | 37 comments Leviathan Wakes might be something in the line of what you're looking for. Great read, imo. It's a space opera about a group of people traveling in an intrasolar spaceship. Characterdynamics are great.
But iirc, Firefly could have a very light tone in the group dynamics at times (almost slapsticky even, when it came to Jayne).

Can't say I really thought of Firefly when reading it, but it's the closest thing that came to mind when I read your question:)

[Edit]Nevermind, should've checked first I suppose, apparently you've already read it. In which case, I recommend the second book Caliban's War :)

/P

Steve Bedford (realityinabox) | 12 comments Yeah, I almost said in the OP that I read Leviathan Wakes, since I remember a thread comparing Firefly and LW back when we read it for S/L. I can definitely see how the two can be compared. While I enjoyed LW for the most part, I didn't think it was on the same level as Firefly. Maybe I should give Caliban's War a chance.

Michael Underwood | 100 comments I'm really enjoying the advance of The Darwin Elevator - which features a very Serenity-esque crew.

In the medium future, aliens have built a space elevator in Australia, which proves to be the only protection against a global plague that turns people into Reaver-esque monsters.

It's got snappy dialogue, sharp characters, and good action. The three books in the series are coming out back-to-back, starting on July 30th.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Retribution Falls and the rest of the Ketty Jay series is similar enough to give you that feel, but different enough to be fresh.

Dara (geekdara) | 982 comments Caliban's War is better than Leviathan Wakes IMO. More POV characters and it makes the world deeper. Definitely has a Firefly feel to it. Highly recommend reading that one.

Steve Bedford (realityinabox) | 12 comments Ala, Retribution Falls sounds very interesting. Have put that and Caliban's War on hold at the library.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Robert of Dale (R_Dale) | 178 comments Have you read the graphic novels?
Serenity  Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon
Better Days (Serenity, #2) by Joss Whedon
The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3) by Zack Whedon

Robert Collins | 68 comments There was the web magazine Space Westerns, but it stopped a few years back. The site is still up (www.spacewesterns.com), so I think you can still read the short stories.

Pouria (Paganmoon) | 37 comments Retribution falls looks interesting indeed, going to add that one to my to read list aswell.

/P

Christopher Preiman | 273 comments You can actually try watching Star Hunter. It is a canadian science fiction series that came a few years before the greatest space western dromady ever made and touches on a lot of the same themes concepts and ideas, so much so that i would not be at all surprised to learn it was one of FireFly's inspirations.

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments I'll second Leviathan Wakes and Retribution Falls, and add a recommendation for Wings of Retribution by Sara King. An interesting crew of space pirates, clever dialogue, humor, twists, and turns. It's good stuff!

Tim Broder (broderboy) | 14 comments Robert of Dale wrote: "Have you read the graphic novels?
Serenity  Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) by Joss Whedon
Better Days (Serenity, #2) by Joss Whedon
The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3) by Zack Whedon"

SO.GOOD.

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Apr 02, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4347 comments Old Man's War if you haven't read it, just for the funnies.

message 15: by Ruth (last edited Apr 02, 2013 02:12PM) (new)

Ruth (till-tab) | 1029 comments I can't think of any books, but if you are interested in anime, I would recommend watching Cowboy Bebop. It's very much with the 'space cowboy' thing.

Trike | 1106 comments I was just wanting to read a Firefly-style book. I didn't think Leviathan's Wake was much like that, but Retribution Falls definitely sounds like it. Fortunately, the library has a copy and I'm stopping in on my way to work in... 25 minutes. Gorram it, I'm late! Gotta go!

message 17: by Bookshelf (last edited Apr 02, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

Bookshelf | 1186 comments Ala wrote: "Retribution Falls and the rest of the Ketty Jay series is similar enough to give you that feel, but different enough to be fresh."

Agree. They different charactors but a similar "feel."
They also open wiuth some great lines.

message 18: by Chad (last edited Apr 03, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 58 comments The Price of the Stars struck me as a cross between Firefly and Star Wars. It was a good light read

Also The Icarus Hunt had a nice motley crew on a spaceship feel. Hmmm come to think of it, the Icarus Hunt is right on for these criteria.

On the even lighter side, you might enjoy some of the Liaden universe books:
Scout's Progress

SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer) (SporadicReviews) | 310 comments Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, which is, in my opinion, a really fun book, felt very similar to Firefly/Serenity. I love Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, but I think Alexander Outland has a much closer feel to Firefly than those two.

The Kassa Gambit could also fit in.

Bookshelf | 1186 comments I don't know if we're answering your question
but I'm getting some great suggestions for books.

Travis (The_Hero_of_Canton) | 55 comments Enjoying the suggestions here guys/gals. I miss Firefly something fierce.

Serendi | 431 comments Have you read Steven Brust's Firefly novel? Haven't read it myself, but he's an author I like a lot. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

Joseph | 876 comments There's also My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel, which is basically Firefly fanfic by Steven Brust. It can be downloaded directly from his website at http://dreamcafe.com/downloads/

Wayne | 1 comments Just started on "goodreads". Not sure what to do with it but loved firefly and love this thread. Thanks for the ideas. By the way, how can you look at all of someone's reviews?

Joseph | 876 comments Serendi wrote: "Have you read Steven Brust's Firefly novel? Haven't read it myself, but he's an author I like a lot. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27..."

Great minds thinking alike?

message 26: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2435 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "Just started on "goodreads". Not sure what to do with it but loved firefly and love this thread. Thanks for the ideas. By the way, how can you look at all of someone's reviews?"

If you view a person's profile there is a small link in the upper left under their picture that says {count} reviews (I linked mine as an example) but it's really just a sort on their bookshelf by the "reviews" column.

Fresno Bob | 190 comments The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher had a Firefly-vibe to me, but even more of a "Deadwood" one...

Robert H (chiroho) | 13 comments SporadicReviews.com wrote: "Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, which is, in my opinion, a really fun book, felt very similar to Firefly/Serenity. I love Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, but I think Alexander Outland has a mu..."

I was thinking along the same lines, though the Outland book seems a little more focused on the sex-drive of the pilot than I remember Firefly being. Very enjoyable book though, and I had a lot of fun reading it.

message 29: by Tamahome (last edited Apr 05, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4347 comments I've heard Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax books are Firefly like.

message 30: by Ellen (last edited Apr 05, 2013 12:23PM) (new)

Ellen (ellenbutnotdegeneres) | 6 comments Tamahome wrote: "I've heard Ann Aguirre's Sirantha Jax books are Firefly like."

I've read the first two books from the Jax series and got a Firefly vibe from both of them. The universe is very different from Firefly, but it has a similar spirit and is a strong series on its own.

Nicole (NNishimu) | 1 comments Firefly was just so... shiny! This thread brings me hope. Thanks for the good leads!

Alexandra (mordsithnasuada) | 1 comments Nicole wrote: "Firefly was just so... shiny! This thread brings me hope. Thanks for the good leads!"

I was just waiting for someone to say shiny :) now the thread is complete lol

Tamahome | 4347 comments There is a special kind of hell for you.

Trike | 1106 comments I've started Retribution Falls and so far it does fit the bill of having a Firefly attitude. Captain Darian Frey definitely has that Captain Malcolm Reynolds swagger.

My quick perusal of it online did not reveal that it was Fantasy rather than Science Fiction. There was talk of fighter jets and gunplay and what have you, but in the first chapter there's also a gold tooth that can hypnotize people and a giant golem, because one of the crew members is a "demonist."

This isn't a bad thing, just caught me by surprise. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 90 comments What a great thread! Thank you Steve for starting it. I miss Firefly too and I love all these title recommendations!

Christopher Preiman | 273 comments Retribution Falls is really more steam punk with a touch of the fantastic then it is fantasy. There is no real magic to speak of. Creatures from other plains and psyonics certainly but nothing i would call magic.

Judy I just recently discovered the shiney that is Firefly and Serenity and this thread is making me very happy. I took Serendi's advice and am reading My Own Kind of Freedom by Steven Burst. It is definitely making me smile. Many thanks to all for the recommendations.

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments Yeah, I would label Retribution Falls steampunk fantasy -- or maybe airship fantasy? Basically, I think of it like, "What if Firefly took place in the setting for Last Exile."

As for Darrian Frey, I find him way more similar to Jimmy McNulty from the Wire. Sort of a selfish, careless ne'er-do-well with a heart of gold.

Kathryn Handel | 123 comments Ala wrote: "Retribution Falls and the rest of the Ketty Jay series is similar enough to give you that feel, but different enough to be fresh."

I was just thinking that! It has the same feel. The Ketty Jay series is awesome.

Cogitator X (Cogitator_X) | 4 comments Might I suggest Rimrunners by CJ Cherryh and Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future. Both these books pre-date Firefly and after reading them one can't help but wonder if Joss Whedon read them as well.

Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future Captures the western in space vibe wonderfully and Rimrunners features a hard bitten middle-aged female ex-marine & would make a great movie (Charlize Therone, my pick to star).

Trike | 1106 comments Christopher wrote: "Retribution Falls is really more steam punk with a touch of the fantastic then it is fantasy. There is no real magic to speak of. Creatures from other plains and psyonics certainly but nothing i wo..."

All that you said? Fantasy.

Wade Garret | 45 comments Read Chris Wooding's adventures of the Ketty Jay; the cover of Retribution Falls got my attention and I've been reading him ever since. Also, as an author, I love finding authors who make me want to do better. I consider Chris Wooding in that class.

Katina French (thatdarnkat) | 48 comments Wow, really digging the sample of Retribution Falls. And just discovered my local library has a copy in stock. HOT DIGGETY. Thanks for that recommendation.

I tried reading the sample of Alexander Outland, but it just didn't click with me.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad a bunch of you are enjoying Retribution Falls.

I don't think it gets enough attention.

Trike | 1106 comments Retribution Falls is still really good, still really Fantasy.

Revising my assessment of Capt. Frey, though. He's less Mal and more Jayne. The plot has just thickened and I'm having fun guessing where it's going.

Thanks for the recommendation, Ala!

Kathryn Handel | 123 comments Trike wrote: "Retribution Falls is still really good, still really Fantasy.

Revising my assessment of Capt. Frey, though. He's less Mal and more Jayne. The plot has just thickened and I'm having fun guessing wh..."

I don't know... I think he tries to be Jayne, but in the end is more of a Mal. ;-)

Clyde (wishamc) | 122 comments SporadicReviews.com wrote: "Alexander Outland: Space Pirate, which is, in my opinion, a really fun book, felt very similar to Firefly/Serenity. I love Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, but I think Alexander Outland has a mu..."

Alexander Outland: Space Pirate just didn't click with me. Perhaps I will give it another tray later.

Clyde (wishamc) | 122 comments Joseph wrote: "Serendi wrote: "Have you read Steven Brust's Firefly novel? Haven't read it myself, but he's an author I like a lot. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27..."

I have read My Own Kind of Freedom and it is very good indeed.
Steven Brust is a an accomplished writer with lots of published books. It is my understanding that he wrote MOKOF under a tie-in deal that fell through. So, he released it under a Creative Commons license (as fan fiction). A professionally written Firefly story at very good price. (Free!) What's not to like?

Serendi | 431 comments He wrote it because he really wanted to write it, then asked the Firefly people if they were interested. They said no, so he posted it as fan-fic. There was never a deal, just a hope.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Leviathan Wakes (other topics)
Caliban's War (other topics)
The Darwin Elevator (other topics)
Retribution Falls (other topics)
Serenity: Those Left Behind (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Steven Brust (other topics)