manga lover discussion

Mangas with Strong Female Leads

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Abraham (TiriTiriMaSu) So, I have recently finished reading Flunk Punk Rumble, Vol. 1 by Miki Yoshikawa and I absolutely loved it. Do you guys/girls have any recommendations for mangas that are very similar to this manga?

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1 This is about a female Yankee that has decided to change her ways and meets lots of new people and does adventures in the new school she transferred to etc etc. Really funny and enjoyable! There are some points that will make you say "awwwww" and the main character is just awesome! Shes so cool! Hopefully you will love this as I do!!

Abraham (TiriTiriMaSu) Thanks so much for the recommendation Arielle =D

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Glad to help!
There is also The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 1 which is about a girl who was also a Yankee. Its a bit more serious but the art is really pretty and the story is amazing! Worth a read

Abraham (TiriTiriMaSu) ~ screams with excitement ~ Thanks so much Arielle <3

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Anything by Arina Tanemura is good ^^

Anny | 17 comments Teppu by Ohtada Moare! It has a seriously bad-ass female mc and she's strong to boot! It's about mixed martial arts and here we have our female genius fighter with attitude problem *laughs*

Anny | 17 comments @Arielle: if you love Oresama teacher you should check the author's new series "Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun", it seriously cracks me up, I can't stop laughing when reading it! It's about a male (yes male) romantic shoujo manga author, and our female mc heroic struggle to get him to notice her feelings

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Anny wrote: "@Arielle: if you love Oresama teacher you should check the author's new series "Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun", it seriously cracks me up, I can't stop laughing when reading it! It's about a male (yes ma..."

Oh I think Ive seen that manga around! It seemed really interesting but I couldnt find Vol. 1... Speaking of mangakas, have you read Fall in Love Like a Comic!, Vol. 1? Its quite cute

Anny | 17 comments Yup, it's this one Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, #1) by Izumi Tsubaki. Definitely a winner!

Speaking of funny, there's this really weird dating sim for female where the male protagonists are pigeons Hatoful Kareshi by Moa Hato! It's based on a game and they say you should try playing the game before reading it. Quirky ~_~

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Pigeons?? COOL! I love pigeons! I want to play that game!

Anny | 17 comments You do? Would you try dating one? (pseudo-human pigeon that is) *LOL*

Btw, this manga is also fit the criteria mangas with string female leads, as the female mc was described as "able to live in wilderness and defeat buffaloes"

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments I would if the human version of the pigeon is as cute as in the picture ^^

There is this manga about a girl who entered a video game (not ソードアート・オンライン1: アインクラッド Sōdo āto onrain 1: Ainkuraddo Sword Art Online, but thats good as well!) and she is portrayed as a strong, willful heroine. Its called 1/2 Prince, Vol. 1. Really good!

Anny | 17 comments The one in the picture is actually the pseudo-human appearance for one of the pigeon candidates. He's a rock pigeon IIRC and described as 'would make a very sweet and nice boyfriend' *lol*

Oh I read 1/2 prince too. It starts very good but nearing the end you kind of get annoyed by her love triangle that leads nowhere really. I'd prefer she become a real prince and start subjugating all the women *evil laughs*

If you like 1/2 Prince, I'd recommend The Legend of Sun Knight Vol 1 and Moonlight sculptor 달빛조각사 1, it's seriously the funniest thing I've ever read.

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments They both sound really cool! I hope I can find them in the public library...

Have you read Red River, Vol. 1? It takes a while to get used to the art but it is pretty interesting

Anny | 17 comments Yup, Red River is a good historical manga. The author recently started a new work, it's about the harem of Suleiman the Great.

A similar one would be Basara, Vol. 1, it also features a strong willed heroine. It chronicles her journey to lead the commons against tyrannies.

message 17: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 21, 2013 08:48PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Oh I saw that a while ago but I was a bit off put by the art. I might pick it up again though...

Important question: Does it have a happy ending?

message 18: by Anny (last edited May 21, 2013 08:52PM) (new)

Anny | 17 comments By happy ending you mean the main couples get together in the end? If that's then the answer is

SPOILER BEWARE!!

yes. It's a happy ending. Their other circumstances aren't very happy though. It's more bittersweet kind of ending.

The art does take a bit of getting used too. Too much ink I suppose, the lines do feel very thick :P

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Sweet! Going to read it now

Do you like horror? Uzumaki, Vol. 1 can honestly give you nightmares but you cant stop reading it! If you want to scare yourself read it haha

Anny | 17 comments Ah no, I'm a scaredy cat. Ha-ha

But I like good psychological thriller. Something like Himizu #1 or The Top Secret, #1 might be to your liking though

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Ooooh they both look interesting.. the Top Secret one seems awesome just by reading the description

Ouji to Majou to Himegimi to 1 has a unique storyline... Its really different! I have honestly never read anything like that! You should read it! Its cool

Anny | 17 comments Oh I read that one too. Honestly the premise is very good but the execution is somewhat lacking I think. I can't really like Ooji, she's a bit too ... bland.

I prefer her earlier work Happy Cafe, Vol. 1. The heroine is much cuter and there's less male characters so you don't get confused by them and have more time for proper relationship development.

message 23: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 22, 2013 01:02AM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Hmmmm you're right, but the male characters are good enough eye-candy to make up for it haha ^^
Oh I haven't read that yet but its in my to-read list (I know the ending though, I looked ahead ><).
Since we're on the topic of reverse harems, have you read/watched Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1? I think that you would know it already since its pretty popular

Anny | 17 comments Yep, Ouran is pretty popular. The heroine again is too bland though. I'd prefer one with more spunk. Maybe like Shizuku from Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Vol. 1.

On reverse harem, La Corda d'Oro, Volume 1 is also quite interesting, though the heroine is quite weak character-wise.

message 25: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 22, 2013 02:04AM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Really? Her blandness is what makes her so endearing in my opinion... The twins (Hikaru and Kaoru) are my favorites ^^

I agree with La Corda, but there are some pretty good music there, such as Ave Maria.
Have you read/watched Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1 - Priestess? Its another reverse harem, and Its quite old. Another one is The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1

Sorry if Im rambling, I just love reverse harems!

Anny | 17 comments Fushigi Yuugi is actually one of my first anime *Lol* and Saiunkoku one of my favorites. Too bad there's no spoiler on what happened in the last novel. Last I heard they said the author keeps on building hurdles upon hurdles between the heroine and the king that it seems it's already impossible for those two even if the author wanted it to happen -_-;;

In A Distant Time, Vol. 12 is another reverse harem, I'm still waiting for it to end before I read it all in one go *squeal*

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments hahaha yeah fushigi yuugi was one of myy first ones as well! And I'm kinda sad to say that I have given up on Saiunkoku at the moment (just temporarily) because its so frustrating waiting for them to get together!

Haruka? me too me too!! Cant wait ><

Oh and have you read/watched
Cardcaptor Sakura, Volume 1? It brings back childhood memories for me

Anny | 17 comments I used to be a die hard CLAMP fans, from Cardcaptor, Tokyo Babylon, Clover, CLAMP Gakuen to their latest Kobato, Tsubasa and XXXholic. Sad to say I felt their later works have lost their shine (or I'm getting tired of their works?).

CLAMP usually have strong female leads as well though. Remember
Magic Knight Rayearth I, Vol. 1? That's where the love began ...

message 29: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 22, 2013 02:54AM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Oh that was an awesome series.. I have to say though, most of their books have strong female leads in one way or another (not just in the physical sense)

How about Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01? Apparently they stopped publishing the books in english

Anny | 17 comments That's really a shame, during the last arc the author put us on an emotional roller-coaster. All the fans are waiting with bated breath for each new chapter!

One of her works includes a female lead strong in taking physical abuse (A.K.A. masochist) who fall in love with a narcissist Portrait of M and N, Volume 1. A very interesting read!

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Oh I've read the first volume in that series! You could certainly say that its...interesting
I just wish that they update the chapters of Gakuen Alice faster though!

Anny | 17 comments It's coming to an end ... soon ... and us fans are dying of the waiting game!! *cries*

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 17 comments Oh gosh... Its hard to decide if you're excited or sad that its ending!

Abraham (TiriTiriMaSu) I kind of like where this conversation went. By the way, I too am so excited Gakuen Alice is finally ending. It took so long to finally end. I was surprised with how the story turned out and although the protagonists are elementary school students, it was an absolutely GREAT manga.

I have a bad feeling how Gakuen Alice might end though due to "someone's" rashness. I just hope it ends with a happy ending.

MAGIC KNIGHT RAYEARTH was the very first manga I read entering the world of mangas and animes. However, I don't think it contained strong female leads. I mean, the female characters are definitely leading, but to say they are strong...? Megane from Flunk Punk Rumble was definitely a strong female lead and I don't just mean physically.

I am a pro-feminist and love stories where women are mostly leading, fighting, or destroying. However, I wish romance would usually be done between men, hehe <3

message 35: by Anny (last edited May 26, 2013 09:13PM) (new)

Anny | 17 comments It's definitely an epic journey and to think that it all started with cry baby Mikan pining for Hotaru! We sure have come a long long way. I just wish that at least Mikan and Hotaru will have happy endings. My heart went out for those two ...

Hm? True the leads of MKR are definitely those girls. They're the ones who fought,defeat enemies, made the decision and changed that world. What's your definition of 'strong' then? (I think I drop Flunk Punk Rumble a long time ago, might give it a read again)

If you also read light novel, I'd say Balsa of Guardian of the Spirit is THE poster lady of strong female leads.