Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > Exciting News: We're Joining the Amazon Family!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,349) (2349 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 46 47

message 1: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4173 comments Mod
Today is a very big day for all of us at Goodreads. As you may have seen on our blog, we are joining the Amazon family. Our blog post has the official press release and some more background on this, but I wanted to post here for two reasons.

First, I wanted to say that we always appreciate your feedback. Thank you for caring enough about Goodreads to tell us what you think of it!

Second, I wanted to assure you that Goodreads and the team behind it are not going away. We have no plans to change the Goodreads experience and Goodreads will continue to be the wonderful community we all cherish. Partnering with Amazon will help us focus on making Goodreads an even better place for readers.

This group has the id “1” because it was the first group I created when we launched groups in 2007. I wanted a place to have real discourse with our members about what they liked, what they didn’t, and how they thought we could improve Goodreads. I think your feedback over the years has been a crucial piece of our success, and will be a crucial piece going forward too. I called this user driven development, which is a fancy name for listening to your users. It’s not a coincidence that Amazon has a very similar philosophy.

We greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for Goodreads. This is a big step for us, and we’re excited to have you be a part of it!

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1320 comments I have so many concerns about this I don't know where to start.

message 3: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 170 comments Will this link goodreads and amazon accounts? How will this affect international users?

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 513 comments Sorry I'm not so excited after all the problems with Amazon some time ago.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 97 comments Does this mean that the weeks and months of work we put into repairing the catalog last year was for nothing?

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 177 comments I have to agree with Marisa. After all the hours put in by librarians and staff to cut the database sourcing with Amazon, now they'll own it again? Does that mean that all our work will go away and then Amazon info will be downloaded back to GR?

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments This is so confusing after the stand goodreads took against Amazon a year or two ago.

I've yet to see a company/site join Amazon and things change for the better.

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 513 comments I totally agree with Katharine. I only can think in Stanza, mobipocket and Book Depository.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments I have to admit I'm not entirely thrilled by this development. As a general rule I like Amazon, but unless they take an entirely 100% hands-off attitude toward Goodreads I find it hard to believe this will be in the best interest for the readers. There are simply too many ways they can interfere with the neutral Goodreads experience and/or try to profit from the strictly volunteer efforts of Goodreads users.

Congratulations Otis, in that I presume you view this as good for you, your business and your brand.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 97 comments Huh? This appears to be a complete 180 from about a year ago when the database was purged of Amazon sources.

Alex is The Romance Fox (wwwaromancefoxblogspotcom) | 18 comments What does it really mean? Will we no longer have a GR site? How is it going to work?

Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) (Darkpool) | 253 comments Kathy wrote: "Does this mean that the weeks and months of work we put into repairing the catalog last year was for nothing?"

This. I'm so angry right now I can hardly breathe.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments I'm underwhelmed.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Also, they already own shelfari. What does it mean when they want to own both?

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1320 comments Katharine wrote: "Also, they already own shelfari. What does it mean when they want to own both?"

Taking more and more control of the book market.

message 16: by Tima (last edited Mar 28, 2013 01:47PM) (new)

Tima (tsunanisaurus) | 180 comments Oh my. Dislike. On so many levels - most notably on a Librarian front and a great concern for the ownership of reviews.

I'd hate to have to remove all of my reviews in order to prevent Amazon from gaining control of where they appear.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (AnnaMatsuyama) | 156 comments I'm surprised. Can't say I'm pleasantly surprised, I hope that GR will not censure reviews, delete reviews without notice etc as Amazon does.
Let's hope GR grows better and more popular but still be reader friendly!

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Nikki wrote: "Taking more and more control of the book market."

I wonder if they'd try to combine the two, or if they wish to simply own every single one out there eventually.

At least they'd never be interested in the Reading Room. Because Australian they probably couldn't care less since we're - GASP - international!

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 21 comments I want to be excited but instead I feel nervous.On the one hand I see that goodreads will remain independent but like Abigal and BunWat mentions what does that mean about ownership of reviews?? What does it mean for readers?? It is already getting difficult to tell the difference between an independent author wanting me to read their book and just a general recommendation.

Amazon is infamous for deleting reviews just a few months ago they deleted a ton with some new automated software that was geared towards sock puppet reviews but they also ended up deleting honest ones.

Plus didn't they partner with shelfari? That did not seem to go well.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 21 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "Huh? This appears to be a complete 180 from about a year ago when the database was purged of Amazon sources."

So true!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

This is bizarre. You already get piles of complaints from users who feel that the site is manipulated by authors to sell books, rather than bring readers together. So your solution is an arrangement that will invite more complaints?

How does that serve the community you have built here? I can see the benefits from Amazon's point of view ("Instant market!") but I fail to see how it helps Goodreads do what Goodreads does well (improving your core competencies, in business parlance).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Time to do a daily export.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4976 comments I'm concerned about review ownership as well - I don't review on Amazon because I don't want them to "own" my review.

Also, will reviews now be held to Amazon's terms for review guidelines? Will reviews be removed based on their terms when they were deemed allowable here? Will Amazon be determining review removal? Will this mean that Goodreads will now have up/down-voting for reviews?

I sincerely hope not on all counts.

I hope that questions in this thread are addressed, properly, and not brushed aside or disregarded. This is a big change that affects user content enormously. I'm not thrilled about this.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 140 comments I'd also like to see an answer to the question about ownership of reviews.

message 25: by John (new)

John Hancock (JohnGregoryHancock) | 33 comments I'm a newbie to goodreads, just joining in december, but I am confused as to how this benefits goodreads members?

I can see money going in the owner of goodread's pockets (if that's what's happening), and I can envision being push-marketed like crazy from amazon(if that's what's happening), but am I missing something otherwise?

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (MyFictionNook) | 94 comments I too have concerns about this announcement, mostly in regards to review ownership and censoring.

message 27: by Patrick, Director, Author Marketing (new)

Patrick Brown | 957 comments Mod
Abigail wrote: "Interesting news, Otis. Can I ask what this means in terms of ownership of our reviews? We have always been assured that we had sole rights to them (in stark contrast to amazon policy, where review..."

I know there will be a ton of questions about this, and we're going to do the best we can to answer them. Our review policy seems to be a frequent topic of concern, so let me reassure you that we have no plans to change how we handle reviews. We do not expect to switch to Amazon's review policy.

For those wondering if our site will continue to be supported, I can emphatically answer "Yes." We are still trying to rapidly grow our team and we think this means exciting things for the future of Goodreads.

As you can probably imagine, Otis has quite a few responsibilities to juggle at the moment, but he will be responding here later, as he is very eager to hear all of your thoughts.

Thanks again, and more to come.

message 28: by Gwen (new)

Gwen I love Amazon quite a bit, but this is a bummer to hear.

How do you expect this to benefit the Goodreads user?

message 29: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2867 comments I hate to say this, but I told yall so! I KNEW it! I just KNEW IT.

This sucks.

I hate amazon and I don't review there for a reason. I'm going to be exporting all my reviews and no longer review here.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments John wrote: "I am confused as to how this benefits goodreads members?"

Good question!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I shall reserve final judgement until we get some answers to the questions posed so far, but I will admit I'm worried.

message 32: by Sheila (last edited Mar 28, 2013 02:00PM) (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments In the news:Amazon to Buy Review Site Goodreads

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology...

and

Amazon Scoops Up Goodreads Social Network

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-5757...

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I hate amazon and I don't review there for a reason. I'm going to be exporting all my reviews and no longer review here."

That was my knee-jerk reaction too, but I love Goodreads and I want to hope that it will retain its independence, despite this unholy alliance. O_o

So, I'm going to take a wait and see approach. I will be grabbing an export of my reviews tonight though. Just to be on the safe side.

message 34: by Terri (new)

Terri | 594 comments I do not use Amazon for anything but the 'look inside' feature.
I am Australian (their postage is too expensive for me and I buy from Book Depository and Fishpond) and I don't read ebooks so Amazon don't serve any of my needs. I don't have anything against Amazon, after all they own The Book Depository, but I do not want to share my reviews with Amazon unless I choose to.

I am deeply concerned about this and about what data is going to be shared with Amazon.

Also, I am very unhappy that we all did so much work on the database last year for nothing. That pains me. I am still fixing books and am still sometimes finding books that are gone altogether without anyway of finding out which book it was that went missing.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 177 comments Terri wrote: "Also, I am very unhappy that we all did so much work on the database last year for nothing. That pains me. I am still fixing books and am still sometimes finding books that are gone altogether without anyway of finding out which book it was that went missing...."

How long do you think before we're fixing the database back to being sourced by Amazon? When we have to comb through and delete/destroy every record ever touched by ingram?

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim | 100 comments Terri wrote: " I don't have anything against Amazon, after all they own The Book Depository, but I do not want to share my reviews with Amazon unless I choose to."

I'm hoping there will be a simple option in the Settings to turn off (or on) sharing reviews with your Amazon account.

message 37: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 2867 comments Becky wrote: "That was my knee-jerk reaction too, but I love Goodreads and I want to hope that it will retain its independence, despite this unholy alliance. O_o

So, I'm going to take a wait and see approach. I will be grabbing an export of my reviews tonight though. Just to be on the safe side."

Yeah, I love GR, too. But have you ever used Shelfari? Yeah. It's nothing but Amazon selling you stuff. AND pulling your purchase records. I fucking hate amazon and the cesspool that is their reviews. DOwnvoting?? No thank you. Just paid for my lifetime membership at LibraryThing.

The only that that can keep me around is yall - this system getting any value add from me for Amazon???! No. No, thank you. I don't review on Amazon for a reason. I damn sure don't want to be about of that unholy mess.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri | 594 comments Chris wrote: "How long do you think before we're fixing the database back to being sourced by Amazon? When we have to comb through and delete/destroy every record ever touched by ingram? .."

Oh sh#t.

message 39: by Terri (new)

Terri | 594 comments Kim wrote: "

I'm hoping there will be a simple option in the Settings to turn off (or on) sharing reviews with your Amazon account. ..."

If there will be a cross pollination of reviews, please let this be true.

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 84 comments I have the same concerns as others are expressing re: reviews, etc. I don't dislike Amazon or anything. I shop there sometimes. I own a Kindle. I wouldn't mind some bits of integration between Goodreads and Kindle users along the lines of updating reading progress or viewing Goodreads book pages straight from a Kindle book, etc.

But I'm extremely concerned about any other potential developments of this announcement. I don't want my reviews cross-posted. I don't want there to be any of the review censorship issues on Goodreads that happen on Amazon. I don't want to give up the ownership of my personal thoughts on a book. I don't want this site to become more about selling stuff than discussing books and keeping track of my reading.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 177 comments Terri wrote: "Chris wrote: "How long do you think before we're fixing the database back to being sourced by Amazon? When we have to comb through and delete/destroy every record ever touched by ingram? .."

Oh sh#t."

Actually, it probably won't be us fixing anything. Amazon will likely do it.

message 42: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (BrynHammond) | 35 comments I'm devastated by this news. -A user.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Here's what they just said in an email out to librarians:

---

Today is a very big day for all of us at Goodreads. As you may have seen on our blog, we are joining the Amazon family.

We greatly appreciate all you do as a Goodreads Librarian so we wanted to reach out to you individually since you play an important role in our community.

You’ll be glad to know that this announcement is great news for our catalog. Amazon metadata will be returning to the site, and we will have an even more comprehensive record of self-published books, as well as more complete records of international books. We will continue to link to a variety of sites on our book pages, of course, including OCLC WorldCat for library data. All of your reviews and ratings will remain on Goodreads.

By joining the Amazon family, the Goodreads team will be able to invest more in the things that our members care about. We’ll also be working together on inventing new services for readers and authors. As part of this, we’ll be increasing the size of our team over time, and will be able to add lots of great new features that members and librarians will be excited about!

I can’t make this clear enough – we plan to continue growing Goodreads and investing in making it a great community for librarians, and everyone else.

We said in our blog post that our team gets out of bed every day motivated by the belief that the right book in the right hands can change the world. Now Goodreads can help make that happen in an even bigger and more meaningful way as part of the Amazon family.

Here’s to the next chapter!

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 177 comments I'm also concerned as a Nook user. I'm already feeling boxed into a corner because Amazon is trying to dominate the ebook market, and I certainly don't want to be further discriminated against because I don't have (nor ever want) a Kindle.

message 45: by Terri (last edited Mar 28, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Terri | 594 comments I got that librarian email too.

I have a really bad feeling about this. :( I am actually feeling sick to the stomach.

message 46: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Great its shelfari all over again. I refuse to buy from amazon for a dozen reasons. Then they took over shelfari and took that straight to hell so I left and came here. Here we go again.

Watch my psychic skills. First comes the amazon log in button. second the constant pitching of 'buy this from amazon!' on book pages. Third are site changes that render things unusable. Fourth is more pitching of shit from amazon. Fifth is virus laden ads on nearly every page with no fix. Sounds great!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 456 comments I'm equally pissed as the other librarians about the database thing. Y'all went through such pains to surgically remove Amazon, and now you're putting out the Welcome mat and the good china?

My frustration knows no bounds

message 48: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  | 550 comments I like all the input you got from Goodread readers before making this decision. It shows lots of class!

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Aha, Australian-based The Reading Room are already kicking up their hope for new users:

“@thereadingroom_: Unlike Amazon-owned #Goodreads, at http://www.thereadingroom.com/ we're only focused on books and the passionate readers thereof.”

Sadly the site isn't as user-friendly or 'swish' as goodreads, but they do have an import ability from GR (I made an account there some time ago) and they can only improve from here!

message 50: by Tala (new)

Tala   (Tala2) | 125 comments I agree with most here. I feel this is going to be bad.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 46 47

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age (other topics)
Gunmetal Magic (other topics)
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler (other topics)
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (other topics)
Still Alice (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Wollstonecraft (other topics)