Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Books Just Finished/Now Reading > Tell us about your latest book

Comments (showing 201-234 of 234) (234 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 5 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 201: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments I recommended Karin Slaughter to the M/T board, and now I am wondering why teresa

message 202: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 2497 comments Returning the Fern Michaels finished book to library tomorrow and not getting out anything else unless one of the reserved books come in. My sister said she doesn't want to rush though the one she has and then worry about reading this one before the big holiday weekend so she said she will get it another time.
I'm going to start Riptide by Catherine Coulter since I'm home this weekend.
Went to Borders today to get the new cd for Rascal Flatts and a Collective soul greatest hits cd so I can listen to both before next friday if we do go to the radio beach blastoff to see the two bands. You know me I also got 4 other books. It would have been 5 but I couldn't remember if I bought the new Nora Roberts book last week or not. So I put that one back. Well didn't buy it so next time I will. Two of the books were pbs and are by the same author part of a series Jo Davis I think the name is. Haven't read any of her's I don't think. Another is a beach read and I forgot what the 4th one was. I'm also thinking about pulling out a few more shore books to bring back with me. I rather have more to pick from then the amt I have down there now. I'm also going to set a small notebook with the books that I have unread down there because it's getting confusing which ones I read and my sister has to read yet, which ones are from neighbors that are doubles of unread ones I have also at home and the ones I have on the bookcase that I haven't read. Also have a small tote bag with unread in the closet. Since the bookcase is only a small one and my sister also have knickknacks on it. So in front of the books are those. So it's really only two shelves with books a few on top if there is room. And a phone, tissue box and I forgot what else is on the top shelve so no books on the top shelve at all. Then there is a whole box of books in the other bedroom closet those are pbs that I read that my sister hasn't. Also on one of the shelves in the corner of that closet is also a pile of books that she has to read. Which I'll finally be able to go though and check out next week when I'm down there since the screens are going up this weekend and that was where they were kept so it was hard to get to the boxes or shelve during the winter months. I think I'll make my sister a list of what is down there too. So she will know what not to bring when she goes down for the summer. I think I'll email the neighbor too to see if she's going to be down that weekend because I'll bring down the bag of books for her mom.

Donna in Southern Maryland (Cedarville922) | 120 comments I am reading Desert Cut
Desert Cut A Lena Jones Mystery
by Betty Webb.

It is set in Arizona, and the subject is very disturbing: Female Genital Mutilation. I was astonded to find out the numbers of girls and women this happens to in this country as well as around the world. The book is riviting. I urge anyone to read this book as well as google FGM to educate yourself. I had NO IDEA before I started reading.

Donna in Southern Maryland

message 204: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 2221 comments i may never get to finish cutting for stone. the library just called and they have the new sandford, new pelecanos, and the new lee child for me- and the sandford and child are 10 day books..lol
maybe i'll pass on the child and buy it when carol, barry, and i go see him at the end of may. mohegan sun- anyone want to join us?

message 205: by Tom (new)

Tom (TommyRo) Just finished The Laughing Policeman, #4 in the Martin Beck series that take place in Stockholm by the husband-wife team of Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall. EXCELLENT. All of the books in this series of police procedurals are fantastic. They date from the 60s and 70s and still hold up.

message 206: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 585 comments Just finished The Laughing Policeman, #4 in the Martin Beck series that take place in Stockholm by the husband-wife team of Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall. EXCELLENT. All of the books in this series of police procedurals are fantastic. They date from the 60s and 70s and still hold up.

Totally agree, I really enjoyed the entire 10 book series. It was fascinating to read their take on the political and social life in Sweden and the mystery plots were interesting too.

I am currently listening to another Swedish mystery The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and think that so far it is living up to the hype.

Currently reading Little Criminals

message 207: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4351 comments Sandi wrote: "
I am currently listening to another Swedish mystery The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and think that so far it is living up to the hype...."

Sandi, this was one of my top reads of 2008. Enjoy!

The Martin Beck series is another that is on my TBR list. Yikes, I am getting behinder and behinder!

message 208: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Teresa:
I have enjoyed all of the Karin Slaughter books including Beyond Reach, so thanks for the recommendation from you and Ms. O'Cat (and I definitely felt pain and a deep loss when reading Beyond Reach) Someone had posted a spoiler without a warning notice about the events of the book before I read it, so I was slightly prepared which may have softened the blow, but didn't keep me from driving down the road with tears streaming.
I guess you just have to respect an author for their vision, and where they want to take their characters in a series. We do have the option of not reading any more of their books, so they are certainly taking a risk.
A couple of other favorite authors have done similar things to favorite characters (Edna Buchanan and Dana Stabenow come to mind) and after reflection, the books were very powerful and the resulting series are possibly even stronger and still compelling to read IMHO.

Teresa wrote: "I recommended Karin Slaughter to the M/T board, and now I am wondering why teresa "

message 209: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Teresa:
It is rare for me to like a book as much with alternating points of view, or time settings. If nothing else, the switches back and forth often make it easier to put a book like that aside instead of pushing ahead with the story. For me, Absent Friends was an exception, and an exceptional book. The intertwining of the different lives and the ripple effect of past events was intricately presented and revealed so much in the end.

Teresa wrote: "still reading, Absent Friends the back story in 1979 is disconnected and doesn't support 2001. The story in 2001 once it's going we have back to 1979 and then we get back to 2001 i..."

message 210: by Lori (new)

Lori Van Buskirk | 73 comments I agree with Ann about the Karin Slaughter books. I enjoyed them all and am really looking forward to the next one!

I have Absent Friends on my nightstand so since you keep plugging it Ann, I'm going to keep it and give it a try.

message 211: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Lori:
I hope you like it too!

Lori/QueenoftheVBS wrote: "I have Absent Friends on my nightstand so since you keep plugging it Ann, I'm going to keep it and give it a try. "

message 212: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments Okay, I will keep reading, this post gives me hope the book will get good later on Teresa

Ann wrote: "Teresa:
I have enjoyed all of the Karin Slaughter books including Beyond Reach, so thanks for the recommendation from you and Ms. O'Cat (and I definitely felt pain and a deep loss whe..."

message 213: by Teresa in Ohio (new)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) | 357 comments I read Absent friends Absent Friendswhile watching Tv last night, I am now on 322, will finish this morning, I can see where the story is going not sure why though.

Ann wrote: "Teresa:
It is rare for me to like a book as much with alternating points of view, or time settings. If nothing else, the switches back and forth often make it easier to put a book like that aside ..."

message 214: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 56 comments Some notes about Libraries~
* I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. (John Cheever)
* Librarians are happy bookers.
* Librarians love novel ideas.
* Public libraries were the original 'information highway'.

message 215: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 19 comments I'm reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. I like his writing style quite a lot, but I am not sure if this is meant to be a fantasy/mystery, or just a mystery set in a locale I have never heard of.

message 216: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 15, 2009 12:46PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 4351 comments Ann wrote: "A couple of other favorite authors have done similar things to favorite characters (Edna Buchanan a..."

and don't forget our favorite, Patricial Cornwell. Could this be the first PC mention on this board? I remember when mention of the very name would cause people to spit nails.

In any event I raise this in the context of authors doing traumatic things to their characters, and she and Edna Buchanan, whom you mentioned, come to mind. In both cases I stopped reading the series because I just felt toyed with. I hope the series did indeed improve, but I can't bring myself to go back.

message 217: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 697 comments I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a YA book and was recommended to me by a friend. I think it might be one of the best books I've read this year, certainly in my top 10. A boy is raised by ghosts in a graveyard......very odd premise by written very well

message 218: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 1511 comments I am reading Desert Cut
Desert Cut A Lena Jones Mystery
by Betty Webb.

It is set in Arizona, and the subject is very disturbing: Female Genital Mutilation. I was astonded to find out the numbers of girls and women this happens to in this country as well as around the world. The book is riviting. I urge anyone to read this book as well as google FGM to educate yourself. I had NO IDEA before I started reading.

I'll yake credit for first recommending Betty Webb and her books on the LDS and plural marriage. She has certainly found a worthy (IMO) niche to concentrate on.

message 219: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 1511 comments * Public libraries were the original 'information highway'

I guess that means Al Gore invented libraries too.

message 220: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Carol:
Our first Patricia Cornwell post! I did stop reading her books, but not just because of the traumatic thing that happened to a main character, the Scarpetta books just didn't appeal to me anymore. As for Edna Bchanan, ah yes, that one wasn't top of mind, but another traumatic event for sure that was quite upsetting. I still read the Britt Montero series and the spin off Cold Case squad books, there is life in the series, and I still enjoy them.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: " and don't forget our favorite, Patricial Cornwell. Could this be the first PC mention on this board? I remember when mention of the very name would cause people to spit nails.

In any event I raise this in the context of authors doing traumatic things to their characters, and she and Edna Buchanan, whom you mentioned, come to mind. In both cases I stopped reading the series because I just felt toyed with. I hope the series did indeed improve, but I can't bring myself to go back. "

message 221: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Merrilee:
I am in the hold queue for The Graveyard Book and eagerly await it. I recently enjoyed his Neverwhere A Novel

Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a YA book and was recommended to me by a friend. I think it might be one of the best books I've read this year, certainly in my top 10. A..."

message 222: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2408 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a YA book and was recommended to me by a friend. I think it might be one of the best books I've read this year, certainly in my top 10. A..."

I've been thinking about picking this one up, Merrilee, but didn't know anyone who'd actually read it. (If someone here already has read it I must have missed your comments, if you made any!) May have to look into it farther.

message 223: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Melodie:
Sandi read The Graveyard Book!
Using another Goodreads feature that works best if you are friends with the members of the group, I went to view The Graveyeard Book here on Goodreads, and if you scroll down, you can see under the friends reviews section if someone you know has put it on a book shelf. I hope it will be my next audio book after The Book Thief.

Melodie wrote: "Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a YA book and was recommended to me by a friend. I think it might be one of the best books I've read this year, cer... I've been thinking about picking this one up, Merrilee, but didn't know anyone who'd actually read it. (If someone here already has read it I must have missed your comments, if you made any!) May have to look into it farther. "

message 224: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 585 comments I just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It is a YA book and was recommended to me by a friend. I think it might be one of the best books I've read this year, certainly in my top 10. A boy is raised by ghosts in a graveyard......

The audio of The Graveyard Book is really fun. Gaiman reads it and he is one of the few authors who, for my money, reads as well as the the professional narrators. He has a great English accent and is also very easy on the eyes (though that probably should not matter).

I read Neverwhere A Novel a number of years ago but am thinking of listening to the audio version since Gaiman reads it too.

message 225: by Ann (last edited May 16, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments DonnaJo:
This is something I haven't had to worry about for a while, (rushing to finish a book because of due dates rather than the compulsion to read it faster) My library tbr pile has been pretty much in control. :) T Jefferson Parker's The Renegades is due today, and I am only at about the half way point. It is pretty good so far and it is a second Charlie Hood book (I liked the first, L.A. Outlaws) The writing style took me a bit to get back into the rhythm of Parker's cop talk, and it has two pov's going which always slows me down.

Donnajo wrote: "Returning the Fern Michaels finished book to library tomorrow and not getting out anything else unless one of the reserved books come in. My sister said she doesn't want to rush though the one she has and then worry about reading this one before the big holiday weekend so she said she will get it another time. "

message 226: by JanOMalleycat (new)

JanOMalleycat | 323 comments Ann noted: "Using another Goodreads feature that works best if you are friends with the members of the group, I went to view The Graveyeard Book here on Goodreads, and if you scroll down, you can see under the friends reviews section if someone you know has put it on a book shelf. "

Ann, I love this advantage of using the Friends feature. It makes it so easy to see where everyone is with a book we've been mentioning.

Jan O'Cat

message 227: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2408 comments Sandi wrote: "The audio of The Graveyard Book is really fun. Gaiman reads it and he is one of the few authors who, for my money, reads as well as the the professional narrators. He has a great English accent and is also very easy on the eyes (though that probably should not matter).."

Hey, you can look at the pictures on the box while you listen!!

message 228: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2408 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
Using another Goodreads feature that works best if you are friends with the members of the group, I went to view The Graveyeard Book here o..."

I knew this! I don't know why I didn't do it with this book!

message 229: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 6884 comments Sandi:
I listened to Neverwhere A Novel and love Neil Gaiman's reading of his own books too!

Sandi wrote: "I read Neverwhere A Novel a number of years ago but am thinking of listening to the audio version since Gaiman reads it too.
"

message 230: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 19 comments Neverwhere began as a TV show which went through several permutations and finally became a book. I've read it several times and enjoy Neil Gaiman's book a lot. If you want to see the "original" story, Netflix has it on 2 CD's.

message 231: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 893 comments Sandy wrote: "I'm reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon. I like his writing style quite a lot, but I am not sure if this is meant to be a fantasy/mystery, or just a mystery set in a locale I ha..."

This is a cross-genre alternate history/mystery. The reason why you never heard of a Jewish district in Alaska is because there isn't one. Chabon is positing an alternate universe in which there isn't a State of Israel and there is a Jewish district in Alaska.

Shomeret

message 232: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 893 comments Ann wrote: "Melodie:
Using another Goodreads feature that works best if you are friends with the members of the group, I went to view The Graveyeard Book here o..."

I also read The Graveyard Book, but it was a while ago. I haven't put all the books from my journals on my shelves, and I probably won't because it's too time consuming for me. I've only been adding books as I read them or they come up in discussion. So I will add The Graveyard Book now. It is really wonderful and I recommend it very much.

Shomeret

message 233: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) I got hooked on Gaiman with "Coraline" - because 1) it won the Newbery Award (books I love to read ever since working in the children's area at the library) and 2)it had been made into a movie (always try to read the book first).

I was so intrigued with this author's imagination, that I then picked up "The Graveyard Book". Just finished "Neverwhere" ... do you think I'm hooked?!?

As for Gaiman's reading expertise, I listened to all 3 on CD and have to say that he is one of few authors who actually do justice to their own book!

message 234: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 19 comments Sandy wrote: "Neverwhere began as a TV show which went through several permutations and finally became a book. I've read it several times and enjoy Neil Gaiman's book a lot. If you want to see the "original" sto..."

Yes, I did finally admit that to myself. I just enjoyed the idea of a Jewish State in Alaska and how thrilled Sarah Palin would be about it. All that aside, it was a beautifully writtn book and a great mystery. Definitely not run of the mill.

1 2 3 5 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Whisper To The Blood (other topics)
Among the Mad (other topics)
Every Last Drop (other topics)
Orchid Blues (other topics)
Testimony (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dana Stabenow (other topics)
Jacqueline Winspear (other topics)