And Then There Were None And Then There Were None discussion

Did anyone suspect?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 135) (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Mila Ho il sospetto di insegnante di scuola. (I suspected the school teacher)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate i was so confused but i did enjoy it, it somtimes felt like too many characters. but yes it is well written

Mila
Questo libro è stato scritto molto bene, anche se a parti anch'io ho fatto trovare confusione. Tuttavia, è uno dei miei libri preferiti. (This book was very well written, although at parts I too did find it confusing. However, it is one of my favorite books.)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The only one i didn't suspect was the one who did it!

Mila um no duh stpid! obviously u werent payin attention lololololoa

César Yes, I think it was one of the most surprising endings of Agatha Christie's books.
This is one of my favourite Christie's books, among Murder on the Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Five Little Pigs.

message 7: by Coalbanks (last edited Mar 16, 2008 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coalbanks Same here. saw the movie before I had read any of her books, about age 10 years old. It sent me looking for the book which I enjoyed evan knowing the way the movie had turned out.

Dee Dee  Carter This is kinda hard without giving away too many details, for those who stumble upon this blog by accident (or by nefarious design to find out the ending!)
At one point I did suspect the actual killer, but various events began to weaken my view before it was (or so I thought) completely debunked! But I NEVER saw the ending coming. And actually had to read through various parts a 2nd time before I fully believed.
I've only recently started reading Christie novels (I'm a huge Doyle/Holmes fan) and find them to be amazing. I didn't know there was a movie, so I'm excited about to see it.

Stephanie I had absolutely no idea who did it. For a second I wondered if I had read something wrong before Agatha Christie did us a favor and showed us who the culprit was. I really liked Vera, so I was really hoping it wasn't her.
I was so freaked out after I finished reading it, just from the tension, that I had trouble calming down.
I haven't seen the movie, but I did see parts of the Russian version after I had read it, and it was kinda funny because the English names sound strange when they are said with a Russian accent and are surrounded by Russian words.

message 10: by Hitari (new)

Hitari I got who it was at the very beginning. Of course, it was speculation. I tried to keep a very open mind about who it was and I just happened to be right. After a while, I didn't think it really was that person so my faith failed me. It was a really good book though. Slightly spooky. The ending was suprising.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah, I agree it was pretty creepy. the over strained emotions and minds of ten people can be pretty frightening

message 12: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate I kind of did suspect him when he 'died', because it was so different from the others. but I didn't really get why I thought it was weird until I read the end. I really enjoyed the tension and suspense in this book! I am going to start reading her other books

message 13: by Meh (new)

Meh Huh, I guessed in him in the beginning, but then when he 'died' it completely threw me off. After that I had no idea until the very end. And the tension definitely got to me, too.

message 14: by Pandora (new)

Pandora It's been awhile since I read it but, I remember coming to the end and going huh. Everyone is dead. Does make a great selling point though to older teens. I tell there an Island with people and everyone ends up dead so who did it? Then they want the book.

As for the movies I heard the Russian version is the only one who got it right. The black and white one from Hollywood called the movie Then There Was None but, two people were left alive. Well that's Hollywood.

message 15: by Kate (last edited Jun 22, 2008 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate I haven't seen either movie, but I might know what you are talking about how it ends differently. Agatha Christie did write an alternate ending so it could be done as a play. In that ending Wargrave shoots Lombard and then tells Vera how he arranged all the killings, then starts strangling her. Then Lombard jumps up and shoots him. Then he and Vera decide to get married, and then it's over. She wrote this so that it would be easier to be done as a play, and they could have used that for the end of the movie.

Jaypee Agatha Christie is a prima donna of suspense and twist ending. My first thought is the Doctor is the culprit, then I shift to Vera. in the end, I am duped...

message 17: by Ied (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ied I read this novel first in 2000 and re-read again last year and still felt the tension. From the very first reading, not like the others Christie's novel, I didn't have any passion to suspect anyone. I just enjoyed the story and got surprised in the end. By using the term 'UNO', it really attracted my curiousity. Really Christie's master piece

message 18: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie I loved this book! I totally did not see the ending coming. In my personal opinion i think they believed in that poem so much that the events happened on accident and nobody actually murdered anyone...If that makes sense?

Mister Future [formerly known as 'Pizzle'] Fantastic book! And no, I had no idea who was the murderer. I was on the edge of my seat to the very last page. (I thought the butler was the killer... until he was brutally bashed in the head.)

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Tom wrote: "Did anyone suspect who did it in the end? I just finished this and it's a testament to Christie's genius that after sixty plus years of this book being in pop culture, and after so many other books..."
I didn't know who did it,(I try not figuring that out till the end) but when it was down to the last three people I was convinced someone who "died" was a faker. But I was so interested in reading on, that I didn't go back and try to figure out who.:) I'm just not one of those readers that bothers to solve the mystery. Love, Love, Love Agatha's books. This one topped any Sherlock ever.

message 21: by Manugw (last edited May 13, 2011 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manugw I could not figure out who might be the perpetrator. But I understand that it was not in the author interest to keep you guessing but to devise an ingenious plot and convincing epilogue.

Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWizard Same here. I got really confused towards the end. I like Vera though. Sad that she went crazy. Agatha Christie is REALLY good. Love her and her books! (have any of you guys seen Doctor Who the T.V. show? It has an episode about her Season 4: called Unicorn and the Wasp)

Danny There has to be a difference between suspecting the killer and suspecting the ending in this one. No way - NO WAY - I would believe anyone claiming they did the latter.

The former is a different thing entirely, considering the judge's controlling behavior.

All in all, what a novel. Can't imagine the plot being topped. Ever.

Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWizard I know! Agatha Christie is S-M-A-R-T!!!!!

Tracy Krauss I was blown away the first time I read it. Very clever ... (I hated the watered down movie version. People survive!)

Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWizard Now that is just crazy and we know it! :)

message 28: by PJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

PJ I read this book last year. I agree, great writing...got me a bit spooked some nights. LOL

message 29: by Judy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Judy Check out her autobiography and then read some more of her books, they seem twice as good because you can see where she gets some of her ideas from.

Night Fury The book was an absolute masterpiece
Loved everypart of it... and of course the finale. By the end, i was completely duped abt the culprit too

Seriously, Agatha u ROCK

Andrew I read this years ago. I stupidly, stupidly, stupidly glanced over the last pages of the book by accident (go figure!) ... and so that gave the game away! It also made the book somewhat confusing a various spots. Moral of the story ... NEVER do that with a Christie! I felt so cheated - I would never have guessed.

Russell Wasn't the movie called "Ten Little Indians" or am I thinking of something else? Also for those wishing to dig a little deeper, I believe I have read somewhere that the original title of the book (even before Ten Little Indians) was of a nature that would not be printed today...

Jan C Russell wrote: "Wasn't the movie called "Ten Little Indians" or am I thinking of something else? Also for those wishing to dig a little deeper, I believe I have read somewhere that the original title of the book (..."

And it couldn't be used as a title here then.

Jan C Kaleigh wrote: "Why?"

Original title was "Ten Little "

Andrew Yes - I have an old edition called "ten little n....s".

Veronica The book was awesome. I never suspected anyone amongst the ten but some outsider. Imagine my shock when i found it was the judge. Sadly i found the part where he killed himself extremely confusing. As for the rest of the plot, it was excellent.

Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWizard Whatt is the N word? Is it REALLY bad, the word?

Russell No word is really bad - only its use to hurt or abuse others. You can look up the book above on Wiki to see the original title and an explanation for why it was changed.

Tiffany I have read this book every couple of years since I was 10 and I am still surprised by the ending. I love all of Christie's mysteries, but this is definitely among my top five, along with Murder on the Orient Express. Agatha Christie is definitely one of the best mystery writers of all time. Fantastic book!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read this one in years. I need to read it again!

Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWizard Love 'Murder on the Oriental Express'!!

Veronica Kaleigh wrote: "Love 'Murder on the Oriental Express'!!"

That one was fantastic

Fatima Somehow, for the first time with Agatha Christie work, my suspicion was right, which didn't give me exact amount of excitement as other AG books...

Diane I read this book 40 years ago. Still have it and I will re-read this summer. Thanks for reminding me what a great author she was.

Karen B. not a clue. And the best part is that the first time I read it was as a teen, and picking it up and rereading it again in my 50's I knew how it was going to happen but couldn't remember "whodunit" so it was still enjoyable. I remember too reading about the book and her mastery of the red herring in that book.

Caroline Fantastic book! What a genius she was:-) I finished it last week after reading it in a day! x x

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

And Then There Were None (other topics)
Murder on the Orient Express (other topics)
Terra Luna (other topics)