Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Writer's Circle > Tate Publishing??? I need some input to make a decision.

Comments (showing 451-462 of 462) (462 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 451: by Lana (new)

Lana Campbell | 9 comments Thank you Matt and Andrea. I will look into self publishing my book but I'd prefer that a traditional publisher pick it up. It's the first book in a vampire series and I'm trying to sell book two in the series now. Do you think if I do get picked up by a traditional publisher they'd be interested in a previously published work? If I have to I'll just chalk this up to a lesson learned. Even if I did choose to self publish I'm not sure how to market it any differently than I already have through social media and advertising on Amazon, Goodreads, etc. I had no success there but it may have been the price. Thanks again for the feedback.

message 452: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Exley (AWExley) | 479 comments Lana wrote: " I will look into self publishing my book but I'd prefer that a traditional publisher pick it up. It's the first book in a vampire series and I'm trying to sell book two in the series now. Do you think if I do get picked up by a traditional publisher they'd be interested in a previously published work?"

Short answer - no. Not unless you have significant (20,000+ units) sales. You will be pushing it uphill to interest anyone in this series now that book 1 is published and first rights are gone. Also keep in mind you are no longer a debut author and have a sales history.

I would suggest you educate yourself about the traditional path, it's no as simple as "send manuscript to a publisher and they publish it." Firstly you need to query agents. If you are successful in an agent offering representation, they will then submit the manuscript to legitimate publishers. The acquisitions committee will then make an offer (if they are interested in the book).

There are small/medium sized publishers that take unsolicited submissions but you need to do your research and tread carefully. They are not all created equal, some are brilliant, some are scams. Some small presses will make a worse job of producing a book than you can do yourself.

A simple google search can save a large amount of heartache. I would suggest:
publisher/agent name + scam
publisher/agent name + absolute write

Also check Preditors and Editors before submitting to anyone, although it's not as up to date as Absolute Write. The Writer Beware blog also has loads of information about what to look out for, warning signs etc

message 453: by Lana (new)

Lana Campbell | 9 comments AW, thanks so much for the information. I am currently searching agents and I will check out those sites you mentioned.

message 454: by Iola (new)

Iola | 22 comments Lana wrote: "AW, thanks so much for the information. I am currently searching agents and I will check out those sites
you mentioned."

What AW said is right - you're unlikely to find a genuine publisher to take on book #2 of a series if book #1 is already published. Also, vampire fiction might be a hard sell to a genuine CBA publisher.

It will be especially hard to sell book #2 if it's from a vanity press who will take anything - Tate offered me a contract without even seeing a manuscript (not that I wanted to publish with them. I was just interested in seeing their contract). A genuine publisher would never do that, because contract terms will vary depending on the project.

If you're looking for an agent, check out Michael Hyatt's website - he has a list of agents who work with Christian fiction.

You should also join American Christian Fiction Writers and attend their conference (or one of the other big Christian conferences), as a lot of them offer appointments with agents, and many of them won't take on new clients without meeting them first.

If you're looking for publishers who publish Christian fiction (and if you'll forgive the self-promotion) I have a free list of around 100 publishers available via www.christianediting.co.nz.

message 455: by Lana (new)

Lana Campbell | 9 comments Thank you Iola!

message 456: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Exley (AWExley) | 479 comments I always recommend querying writers check out QueryTracker. They have a comprehensive list of vetted agents & publishers and you can sort by genre.
http://querytracker.net/

message 457: by Matt (new)

Matt Jr. | 28 comments Andrea wrote: "Bookdesigntemplates.com You can buy templates for a relatively low cost and they are pretty easy to use to format your book. Good luck! "

I believe Joel has modified his website to http://authortoolkits.com

message 458: by Bradford (new)

Bradford Smith (BradfordSmith) | 38 comments Tate Publishing is the subject of a post yesterday on The Passive Voice blog. The writer is a lawyer and an authority on IP contract law.

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/2016/1...

message 459: by Lana (new)

Lana Campbell | 9 comments Does anyone know whether there is an author class action law suit for failure to pay royalties?

message 460: by Miss M (new)

Miss M (MissMuffett) | 57 comments Sorry, but my inner noodge feels compelled to point out that TPV guy did not write the Tate blog post, just re-posted it from Writer Beware. PVG rarely writes articles of substance himself.

message 461: by Iola (new)

Iola | 22 comments Lana wrote: "Does anyone know whether there is an author class action law suit for failure to pay royalties?"

My impression is that most Tate authors don't sell enough copies for this to be an issue. After all, first you have to prove there were copies sold which Tate were paid for, but have not yet passed on the royalties.

message 462: by Lana (new)

Lana Campbell | 9 comments I think you hit the nail on the head, Iola. I do know exactly how many books I personally had sell through Barnes and Noble, but I can't get an accurate invoice from these people. I've washed my hands of it and I'm moving on. It was a bad experience, but I learned my lesson I guess.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fluffy, Funny, and Fabulous: A Tale of Five Sisters (other topics)
Early One Morning (other topics)
Sail Away on My Silver Dream (other topics)