The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments Hey, don't know if this is news or even relevant but I have heard Neil Gaimen's name a few times in the forums so what the heck.
For at least UK listeners of radio 4 or I player capable people, they can listen to an all star cast of an adaptation of his work so if you can follow the link. London Below if this rings any bells.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5...

message 2: by Magda (last edited Mar 18, 2013 11:09AM) (new)

Magda (magini666) | 76 comments not only for UK, I'm from Poland and bbc is working great :-)
and Neverwhere is really nicely done.

message 3: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments Cool, thanks Magda for the information :)

message 4: by Paul 'Pezski' (new)

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezski) | 381 comments I've not listened yet, but the reports are good (personally, I love the old TV show, despite it's faults).

According to the website, the series is available to listen for perpetuity :)

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4644 comments Can the US get it on iPlayer?

message 6: by Paul 'Pezski' (new)

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezski) | 381 comments Tamahome wrote: "Can the US get it on iPlayer?"

I've heard that some things are region sensitive.If they are, I'm sure there's a way to listen anyway. Ahem.

(I use Tunnelbear)

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4644 comments I found it. The first 2 episodes are up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/...

message 8: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine | 3 comments Just listened to episode 4. It's holding up really well as a radio play, excellent casting and acting though I didn't recognise Anthony Head's voice at first and failed to spot the author himself voicing a few small parts in episode 1 even though I've heard him speak quite a lot and have several recordings he's done. Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow. And for any Pratchett fans, they also seem to be serialising a few of his books too, so far I've found episodes of Mort and Guards! Guards! on the iplayer.

message 9: by Louise (last edited Mar 20, 2013 04:22PM) (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Radio 4 Extra regularly re-run the Terry Pratchett dramatisations. I've heard Mort, Guards! Guards!, Wyrd Sisters, Nation, and others several times over the years (some are pretty old now). There's also a lot of older sci-fi radio serials, which are again regularly re-broadcast, and sometimes the newer Big Finish Doctor Who audios appear. For Sci-fi fans its worth keeping an eye on the schedule for midnight to 1 am and 6pm-7pm, which is when the Seventh Dimension slot is (named for back when it was BBC Radio 7).

The station was originally created to utilise and showcase the BBC's audio archive. But I don't know how much is available worldwide.

Listened to Neverwhere today and it was very good - they really got an outstanding cast (makes a change from the BBC radio rep regulars) and the soundscape is fairly well-done (the BBC's tradition of doing a lot of the sound in studio sometimes lets this side down). I recognised Anthony Head about 20 mins in, as well as about half the cast, but missed the Neil Gaiman cameos and Christopher Lee.

message 10: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments it seems the latest Terry Pratchett to be aired on radio is Eric
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r2t5v
is where to go but it seems the episodes are gone at the mo.
But to bring it back to Neverwhere, as someone who has not seen nor read the previous incarnations, I wonder for those who have, how the radio version stands? Does the casting make it better or worse. For me the use voice actors I know is what appealed to me first, not having read any of Neil Gaimen before, I was drawn into the story by the actors then the plot and characters, now a part of me want's to know from the book and original show what has changed, but I will more than likely just for go that and enjoy the radio show for what it is.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (till-tab) | 1162 comments Gosh, that's certainly a cast worth getting excited about, and the old BBC tv version of Neverwhere was what introduced me to Gaiman, so I will definitely give it a listen. Thanks for letting us know.

message 12: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments TV series, novel, comics, and now a radio play; this must be Neil Gaiman's most adapted story. I can't wait for the eventual theatre adaptation. Yet I still think original TV series is the best.

message 13: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Climent | 4 comments This is my favorite of Gaiman's novels and one my favorite books ever. It did help that I was living in London when I first read it, very close to all the actual locations in the novel!

message 14: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments I just learned that there already existed several theatre adaptations of the story. Now I'll wait for the movie.

message 15: by Michele (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:54AM) (new)

Michele | 778 comments Have you seen the miniseries? It's very BBC-low production value, but very well done I thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Door/dp/B00418R...

message 16: by Kalvin (new)

Kalvin | 27 comments Last episode has just played out should be available to hear again on iplayer in around 2hours time.
I really liked it, Neverwhere as a whole was put together well with great voices to match, but it has one those endings that leads to more with no sign of a sequel that will take us back to London Below in the near future, but still really glad that I came across this and was introduced to the world.

message 17: by Martin (new)

Martin (Martinc36au) | 69 comments If you are of a mind and have knowledge of torrents...

radioarchive.cc

There is a recent Brian Aldiss story there as well, plus many others.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Martin wrote: "If you are of a mind and have knowledge of torrents...

radioarchive.cc

There is a recent Brian Aldiss story there as well, plus many others."

If you're referring to Hothouse, that's just its most recent broadcast. It was also on in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. It will be on again and available on the iPlayer, as will pretty much everything else. In fact, it's still available there now (for the next 10 hours anyway).

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4644 comments Arthur C. Clarke's Moondust has been done in the past as well.

message 20: by Joe Informatico (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:21AM) (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 759 comments Rasnac wrote: "TV series, novel, comics, and now a radio play; this must be Neil Gaiman's most adapted story. I can't wait for the eventual theatre adaptation. Yet I still think original TV series is the best."

IIRC, Neverwhere is Gaiman's first longform work where he's the sole creator (not counting his early graphic novels with David McKean), so it's had the most time and freedom to be adapted. Also, you can see the signs it was a TV miniseries first and foremost, because of the ensemble cast. It's probably easier to adapt to other performance-based media as a result. Incidentally, according to Wikipedia there have been at least eight stage productions.

In contrast, most of his later works seem really focused on the main character and his/her inner struggle, which is not so easily translated to film or stage. Thus you have the film adaptations of Stardust and Coraline adding characters and fleshing out minor ones, for example.

message 21: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1320 comments As mention in the last podcast- times up for episode one.
Today is the last day (23 hours left) to listen to the first
episode of BBC's Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r5...

unread topics | mark unread