Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > New to cozy mysteries, what are your favorites?

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I bought one cozy mystery from Barnes and Noble the other day, and now all I want to do is devour more! Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!

message 2: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 4 comments I love the A Southern Cousins Mystery seris by Peggy Webb just very cute fun read

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Diane Mott Davidson writes the Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery series. I have read six of them and have yet to find one that disappoints me!! All have been really good books!!!

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 644 comments Oldies but goodies: Agatha Christie still does it for me. The one mystery series I keep rereading!

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Danie, I sent you a friend request!!!! I have tons of cozy mysteries on my shelves!!!!

message 6: by Shelby (new)

Shelby  Bagby (shelbybagby) | 30 comments I'll friend you too. Some of my favorites are Joan fluke Leslie Meier Jessica beck and Jennifer McKinley

message 7: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Accepted both of you ladies, thanks! I'll peruse your shelves, though I have a feeling I'll be adding wayyyy too much to my TBR. Oh well.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5825 comments Agatha Christie, M.C. Beaton, and Rhys Bowen are no doubt my very favorites.

message 9: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 305 comments I also like Donna Andrews, Sofie Kelly, and Amanda Lee.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (CherylsPearls) | 24 comments M.C. Beaton will always be my favorite for sharing "Agatha Raisin" and "Hamish MacBeth" characters; Agatha Christie (of course); Lorna Barrett (aka L.L. Bartlett, aka Lorraine Bartlett; Ellery Adams (aka J.B. Stanley, Jennifer Stanley and half of Lucy Arlington); Beth Groundwater; Melanie Jackson (her Chloe Boston mysteries are really cute when you want a light read); Diane Mott Davidson;...Check out
www.cozy-mystery.com or www.stopyourekillingme.com (click on Genre, then cozy) or www.mystery-cozy.com. Just a few of the sites you can research authors and their books in the cozy genre. Happy reading!

message 12: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 4343 comments Mod
Hi Danie,

I always suggest people start with the Featured Author section and group bookshelf for reading recommendations. Your TBR pile will be insurmountable before you know it!

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1612 comments Mod
Thanks Heather. I was going to suggest browsing our past featured author of the month listings and posts. Not only will you get a list of authors, and their published works, but you can read how our group members liked and reviewed each author.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 603 comments Thanks for the mention, Cheryl, and I agree with you that the stopyourekillingme.com website is the best resource out there for finding mysteries!

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ramirez (MelissaBourbonRamirez) | 5 comments What was the cozy mystery that got you hooked?

Danie wrote: "I bought one cozy mystery from Barnes and Noble the other day, and now all I want to do is devour more! Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!"

message 16: by ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) (last edited Mar 23, 2013 10:15PM) (new)

❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) (jennevans) | 2423 comments Melissa wrote: "What was the cozy mystery that got you hooked?

Danie wrote: "I bought one cozy mystery from Barnes and Noble the other day, and now all I want to do is devour more! Can anyone give me some recomm..."

Very good question. Danie - if you can tell us which book hooked you, we might be better able to recommend others that you'll like. :)

message 17: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 4343 comments Mod
In fact, going back to Melissa's question, you might be interested in our discussion, What was your first cozy? I think you'll find great suggestions reading about other peoples' intro to mystereis and cozies in general. ;)

message 18: by Danie (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:51PM) (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Melissa wrote: "What was the cozy mystery that got you hooked?

Danie wrote: "I bought one cozy mystery from Barnes and Noble the other day, and now all I want to do is devour more! Can anyone give me some recomm..."

Buried in a Book by Lucy Arlington! I flew through it in a day, and just went and bought the second tonight, as well as the first in two different series. I'm excited to start them!

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 51 comments I've listed all my favorite series so many times, so I'll just throw out one suggestion this time: the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart. Annie Darling, the sleuth, owns a mystery bookstore, and the characters are great! Hart also has a couple of other series that are also great.

❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) (jennevans) | 2423 comments Danie, I'll recommend Jenn McKinley's Library Lovers Series starting with, I think, Books Can Be Deceiving...

message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Lintzenich | 75 comments Ellie wrote: "Oldies but goodies: Agatha Christie still does it for me. The one mystery series I keep rereading!"

I read Murder in the Making by John Curran which is his second book exploring her notebooks. These are great books for the true Agatha Christie fan. It was recommended for an Anthony Award last year.

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Lintzenich | 75 comments Denise wrote: "I've listed all my favorite series so many times, so I'll just throw out one suggestion this time: the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart. Annie Darling, the sleuth, owns a mystery bookstore, ..."

Excellent option.

message 23: by Tina (last edited Mar 28, 2013 11:10AM) (new)

Tina (TinaCz) | 156 comments Elaine wrote: "Ellie wrote: "Oldies but goodies: Agatha Christie still does it for me. The one mystery series I keep rereading!"

Yep, we're reading A Murder Is Announced. Can't beat it!

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaCz) | 156 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Agatha Christie, M.C. Beaton, and Rhys Bowen are no doubt my very favorites."

Mine 2, Elizabeth. Love Beaton, Bowen, Christie. Not too cozy but not hard core either is Louise Penny's 3 Pines series. Have you tried them? You won't be sorry.

message 25: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5955 comments Tina wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Agatha Christie, M.C. Beaton, and Rhys Bowen are no doubt my very favorites."

Mine 2, Elizabeth. Love Beaton, Bowen, Christie. Not too cozy but not hard core either is Louise P..."

I think most of us generally consider the 3 Pines books to be cozy. I'm terribly behind in the series and need to catch up. Have all the books, just need to read them!

message 26: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Lintzenich | 75 comments Melodie wrote: "Tina wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Agatha Christie, M.C. Beaton, and Rhys Bowen are no doubt my very favorites."

Mine 2, Elizabeth. Love Beaton, Bowen, Christie. Not too cozy but not hard core eithe..."

I'm a big Louise Penny fan, too. I've read all her books so far. She was to have been at Bouchercon in Cleveland last year, but she needed to be home for the Canadian Thanksgiving.

message 27: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Lintzenich | 75 comments Heather L wrote: "In fact, going back to Melissa's question, you might be interested in our discussion, What was your first cozy? I think you'll find great suggestions reading about other peoples' intro to mystereis..."

I suppose my first cozy was an Agatha Christie novel. I've been reading a long time:-)

message 28: by Tina (last edited Apr 20, 2013 10:59PM) (new)

Tina (TinaCz) | 156 comments Thanks for the notes, Melodie, Elaine, Heather, Eliabeth. My first was probably Nancy Drew lol then Christie. Most recently: Leslie Meier's Chocolate Covered Murder was one of her better cozies. I enjoyed it.

message 29: by Cat (new)

Cat | 1 comments My suggestions would definitely be....Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series which starts with 'Aunt Dimity's Death' (the 18th book in the series was just released) and Dolores Stewart Riccio's circle series which starts with 'Circle of Five' (the 9th book in the series was recently released). These are FABULOUS cozies with a little magic twist!

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaCz) | 156 comments Sounds fun. Always wanted but haven't tried an Aunt Dimity. Will do, Cat. Thanks!

message 31: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Scott | 125 comments I also like Tim Myers. His characters will become your friends. I enjoyed his candle making and soap making series. I think his lighthouse series is one of my all time favorites. I suggest you read them in order if you don't want to miss anything.

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 859 comments Teresa wrote: "I also like Tim Myers. His characters will become your friends. I enjoyed his candle making and soap making series. I think his lighthouse series is one of my all time favorites. I suggest you ..."

I enjoyed all of those too Teresa! I also agree the Lighthouse series was really good :)

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments So far, the Hannah Swensen mysteries from Joanne Fluke.

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda | 445 comments Duffy Brown's Southern consignment shop mysteries are a hoot and a half! I was hooked from the first page with both books. Her writing is witty and fun, and it's truly hard to guess the killer. I just finished Killer in Crinolines and loved it.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Who is the author of Duufy Brown's mysteries? I would love to read another good mystery series!

message 36: by Tam (new)

Tam (Tammers2) | 226 comments I recommend the Murder By The Month series by Jess Lourey (May Day is the first of the series)

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely check out murder by the month series :)

message 38: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5955 comments Sandra wrote: "Who is the author of Duufy Brown's mysteries? I would love to read another good mystery series!"

Duffy Brown is the author.

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Melodie wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Who is the author of Duufy Brown's mysteries? I would love to read another good mystery series!"

Duffy Brown is the author."

Thanks Melodie! Are they a series or can I start with any of her books?

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5955 comments Sandra wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Who is the author of Duufy Brown's mysteries? I would love to read another good mystery series!"

Duffy Brown is the author."

Thanks Melodie! Are they a series or ca..."

There are only 2 of them so far and finding the first one should be pretty easy as it's less than a year old I'm thinking!

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Thanks I will definitely check them out!

message 42: by Tina (last edited Jun 24, 2013 11:41AM) (new)

Tina (TinaCz) | 156 comments Danie wrote: "I bought one cozy mystery from Barnes and Noble the other day, and now all I want to do is devour more! Can anyone give me some recommendations? Thanks!"

Good for you as there are tons of good ones; maybe we'll learn of more from you. Mine are: Agatha Christie, Agatha Raisin by M C Beaton if you like English villages & plucky protag. Diane M. Davidson's culinary mysteries, Killer Party by Penny Warner, The Ghost and _____ series, Rhys Bowen mysteries, Aunt Dimity for more cozy villages, early Anne Perry, Bed & Breakfast series by Mary Dahiem, coffee whodunits by Cleo, Leslie Meyer Lucy Stone series, Louise Penny for a bit gritter cozy and so many more. Enjoy!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Buried in a Book (other topics)
Books Can Be Deceiving (other topics)
Killer in Crinolines (other topics)
May Day (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

G.A. McKevett (other topics)
Jenn McKinlay (other topics)
Leslie Meier (other topics)
Laura Childs (other topics)
Cleo Coyle (other topics)