Young Adult Book Club discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
The Lightning Thief Discussions > Percy's quest-spoilers

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2669 comments Mod
Does Percy seem like a pawn? If you were given Percy’s quest, would you undertake it or would you rebel?

Ann | 177 comments Good question!

Yes, I do think he seems like a pawn. To what, or to whom, is debatable, I think. I'm not sure if I'd undertake the quest (well, okay, probably I wouldn't have the courage). If, though, the only people you trusted and respected asked you to do it, told you you were the only one capable of completing the task, then I could see accepting it on more of a "blind trust" thing... maybe. I read it last year, so the particulars are a tad fuzzy. But I do find myself a bit frustrated with Percy not being allowed to know the full prophecies, etc. But, maybe that's the point.

Sara I do not think I would have Percy's courage to undertake anything of that sort.
Kudos to him!

Sonja Cole (bookwink) I think that is a big part of why this book is so popular with kids. Kids have so little control over their lives, and virtually no power of their own to stage a *serious* rebellion. Kids can relate to the fact that Percy has no choice but to go on the quest, and they can celebrate in his success. They can imagine that they would have been brave enough to accompany him since for most kids, meaningful rebellion isn't an option.The Lightning ThiefRick Riordan

Sara Bookwink wrote: "I think that is a big part of why this book is so popular with kids. Kids have so little control over their lives, and virtually no power of their own to stage a *serious* rebellion. Kids can relat..."

I agree, the book allows for readers to imagine a kind of bravery that he or she may not necessarily expierence in their own lives. (Like myself for one, I'm pretty much a coward.)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 42 comments I dont think Percy really had a choice. And I think it is how we rise to the occasion that shows the true nature of a person. And That is what is compelling about percy

Not (NotTelling) He didn't really have much of a choice. Humanity kind of seemed to rest on his shoulders.

Anna | 107 comments I think it is like many situations--you can choose to "wait" until you have all the answers and play it safe or take a risk. Percy was definitely taking a risk, but also being guided by the love for his mother.

Ann | 177 comments Anna wrote: "I think it is like many situations--you can choose to "wait" until you have all the answers and play it safe or take a risk. Percy was definitely taking a risk, but also being guided by the love f..."
I like that, Anna, that you can "choose to 'wait' until you have all the answers." I think that's another good choice. Would Percy go on the quest or not. But then, could Percy have waited? It's an interesting option instead of all or nothing.

Celestasaurus Angie wrote: "Does Percy seem like a pawn? If you were given Percy’s quest, would you undertake it or would you rebel?"

Percy does seem like a pawn. EXAMPLE: Ares used him to get the lightning bolt to Kronos(?). Luke was wanting to use Percy, too, which is why he summoned the hellhounds. Percy was a pawn, but not for the people that we originally thought.

As for me? I would still take the quest. I'd clear my name! I mean, Zeus was blaming him for stealing his lightning bolt, and Hades was after him for the helmet-thing. And who doesn't like a good adventure?

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also think he is a pawn. I mean everyone seemed to be using him for something... even Grover so he could get his license. I suppose I would take on the quest also but because I wouldn't want a big war to be on my shoulders.

As far as Percy knowing the prophecies it is probably better he didn't know. It reminds me of the technology where they check people's genes and can tell you whether or not you will have cancer. Do I really want to know that? I don't know!

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) It reminds me of the technology where they check people's genes and can tell you whether or not you will have cancer. Do I really want to know that? I don't know!

Well, everybody is different because I definitely do. I got 3 tests and if I was at risk for any disease they could test, I'd get tested. BUT, I wouldn't have Percy's courage whether he knew or not. It was fun reading the book and experiencing the events vicariously though.

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 42 comments A Pawn - yes. But did he really have a choice on the quest? What would his life have been like had he not?

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Humm... well had he not taken on the quest I wonder if Camp Half Blood would've tried to get someone else to do it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lightning Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rick Riordan (other topics)