2014 & 2015 Reading Challenge discussion

Mod Corner > Questions for Mods

Comments (showing 1-50 of 145) (145 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Kara, Moderator (last edited Dec 27, 2013 06:46PM) (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Do you have a question for a mod? Post it here, and one of us will get to it.

Ashley Kempkes (Fell4) | 15 comments Dear 2013 Reading Challenge Mods,

I was wondering if there was a way to pick which shelves go toward the 2013 Reading Challenge Book Widget. Right now, the widget is linked to all of my main shelves, even my discontinued shelf. See the problem? I want to have the challenge go toward books I FINISHED, and not books I gave up on for whatever reason.

Thank you for making this discussion,
Fell4

message 3: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments If you don't mark a book as "read," it will not count toward the challenge. So if you put a book on our exclusive discontinued shelf (as you have) but don't mark it as read (leave the "date read" field blank or don't click the "I'm finished" link), it should not count toward the challenge.

Does that help? If a particular book is showing up on your challenge that you haven't finished, let me know, and I will investigate.

Sammy | 3 comments This app won't let me read any books........ I don't want to delete it but its useless if it can't read

message 5: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Hi Sammy, it's not a reading app so much as a book tracking and discussion participation app. The only books you'll be able to read on it are those available publicly. There aren't many--let me see if I can find you a list somewhere.

message 6: by Kara, Moderator (last edited Apr 23, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Sammy: here's a link that will show you all the books you can read on the app http://www.goodreads.com/ebooks?utf8=...

Through the app, go to "Home" then "eBooks" then "Find eBooks" (in the upper right-hand corner). That'll give you a list of books. A warning: some are books and some are just excerpts.

If you're looking at a book that's readable through the app, when you click on the book through the app, there should be a "Read Now" button under the initial book info but above the Description.

Jodi (Readinbooks) | 1216 comments Hi Moderators,

I was wondering if it is possible to save entire lists to my "My Books" page. I would love to have the Must Read Classics list or the 2013 100 Goodreads list to "My Books". I know how to create lists that that takes too long and these lists are already made and I would like to have quick access to them from "My Books". I don't know if it is possible but thanks for your help.

message 8: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Unfortunately, there's no mass way of doing this--you'll need to click on the "Want to Read" button for each book. Sorry!

Jodi (Readinbooks) | 1216 comments That's too bad. Thanks for answering. I thought I would ask.

Theresa~OctoberLace (OctoberLace) | 534 comments Can you tell me when the September Challenges will be posted? I'm already planning my TBR for next month and want to be sure to include this group's plans. I just joined in August, so I'm not sure what the usual posting dates are.

message 11: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments We typically post the challenge on the first of the month, but you bring up a good point. Lots of people plan their reads in advance. I'll talk to Adriana and see what we can do about posting the challenges about a week in advance from here on out. September's are not quite ready yet, but we will post them as soon as we can.

Great suggestion--thank you!

Theresa~OctoberLace (OctoberLace) | 534 comments Thank you, Kara!

Julia (JuliaStrimer) Thanks for doing such a great job with this group. As I'm reading the posts, I'm noticing a great deal of reading which ends up as 3 out of 5 stars, etc.

Might we have a recommendation thread where we share our 5 star books? I think those books are the ones which have mattered the most to us. I know we all have different tastes, so it would be important not to criticize anyone's choices--but with this group, I don't think that would happen.

If I'm choosing books for a challenge, I'd like to see what others consider the "cream of the crop" (I come from the Midwest, so corn metaphors are big this time of year).

Thanks--not sure if this is where I should ask, but hope it's okay.

message 14: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Julia, great suggestion. We had previously had a recommendation thread; however, it didn't stay active very long. Maybe we need to relaunch and revive it. I like your idea of branding it as a place to talk about 5 star books.

Julia (JuliaStrimer) Thanks, Kara--looking forward to sharing our favorites :-)

Laura | 35 comments Great idea Julia! I'll second it!

message 17: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Here you go, ladies! Thanks for the idea, Julia.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Julia (JuliaStrimer) Afraid I have to leave the group, Kara--thanks for all you do.

message 19: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, Julia. It's been a pleasure having you.

Theresa~OctoberLace (OctoberLace) | 534 comments Two quick questions, since I'm leading the Mini Costume Challenge for October...

1) Absent specific rules for a challenge, is there a minimum number of pages requirement for books, and, if so, does that apply to graphic novels?

2) Are there any rules on starting books before the beginning of the month? For example, I just started listening to an audiobook but won't finish it by Tuesday. Am I okay claiming the audiobook for October?

message 21: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Theresa, we're pretty casual about all of our challenges.

1) There's no minimum page requirements, and anything Goodreads counts as a book, we count as a book.

2) Books can be started before the beginning of the month but must be finished in the month they're claimed.

Alison G. | 692 comments If any of you put tickers on your posts I was just wondering if they are working for you? The last couple days mine haven't been working when I update them. I have tried to redo the tickers and that isn't working either. Any suggestions? Having the tickers make it easier for me to know how many challenges I have left to do. Thanks!

Lilac  | 798 comments Mine isn't working either. It's been like that for about 3 weeks now and is really annoying. When I click it it shows the updated number and lets me update but on posts it shows the number from the end of September.

Alison G. | 692 comments ok glad its not just me! thanks lilac!

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 507 comments Any December monthly challenges? :-( I wanted to plan my list for next month. If you need leaders, I'd be happy to step up!

Jodi (Readinbooks) | 1216 comments How is it December tomorrow?

message 27: by Zara, Moderator (new)

Zara | 1158 comments Hey Jodi. I agree with you about it being December. It's the 1st December here in Australia right now. Time is just flying by. lol

Jodi (Readinbooks) | 1216 comments I am not at all ready for December. I wish we could slow the hands of time.

message 29: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Sorry for the delay, all! I've been traveling for the holiday. The December challenges will be posted later today.

Pat | 99 comments Once I copy a URL how do I paste it into a comment?

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) I just opened a my corners folder and am wondering if all of my challenges are posted there. I have some that may either be older challenges from this group or challenges from other groups. Is it permissible for me to include them there?

I also see that there's a folder for Individual goals, etc. Are these folders for more or less recording one's challenges and overall reading lists?

message 32: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Pat, you can press ctrl+v if you're on a PC or command+v if you're on a mac.

Nancy, the corner section is for you to post challenges you're participating in. You're welcome to post older challenges or challenges from other groups. The challenges section is for your big 2014 reading goal. How many books would you like to read in 2014? That's what goes in the personal challenge folder.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Thanks so much Kara. One other question - in the personal challenge folder, do I post a goal and then list each book I read till I hopefully reach that goal?

It may take me a bit of time to get to know my way around but I feel hopeful that I'll learn. If not, I'll ask more questions and hope I don't drive you nuts. LOL

message 34: by Zara, Moderator (new)

Zara | 1158 comments Nancy wrote: "Thanks so much Kara. One other question - in the personal challenge folder, do I post a goal and then list each book I read till I hopefully reach that goal?

It may take me a bit of time to get ..."

Nancy you'd never drive us nuts with questions, that's what we, the mods, are here for. Ask away.

message 35: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Yes, that's generally how people do it. Some also add reviews, but that's totally optional. It's your space, so feel free to keep your list however is easiest for you. :)

Sandra Heinzman (VASandra) | 16 comments On your personal challenge list, what do the **** mean after the titles?

Brianna C (bebecald) | 610 comments Sandra wrote: "On your personal challenge list, what do the **** mean after the titles?"

Some people use them to show their rating of said book.

message 38: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Dec 18, 2013 11:33PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Zara wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Thanks so much Kara. One other question - in the personal challenge folder, do I post a goal and then list each book I read till I hopefully reach that goal?

It may take me a bit o..."

Really - my husband and daughter have told me that I've driven them to drink with all of my questions. Then again I am a former teacher soooooooo.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Kara wrote: "Yes, that's generally how people do it. Some also add reviews, but that's totally optional. It's your space, so feel free to keep your list however is easiest for you. :)"

Thanks for your answer. I already know that I am going to like it here.

message 40: by Zara, Moderator (new)

Zara | 1158 comments Nancy, This is indeed a great group. Personally I love it but then I'm probably biased. lol

message 41: by Craig, Moderator (new)

Craig | 809 comments Me too Zara but it doesn't stop me saying it to anyone that will listen!!!

message 42: by Zara, Moderator (new)

Zara | 1158 comments Craig wrote: "Me too Zara but it doesn't stop me saying it to anyone that will listen!!!"

I agree Craig.

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) Zara wrote: "Nancy, This is indeed a great group. Personally I love it but then I'm probably biased. lol"

Oh I don't think you're biased, Zara. A good group is a good group!

Tammie | 94 comments I need help i don,t understand something am i reading it right that we can do a challenge of our own and make a new thread

message 45: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments Yes, Tammie. If you go into the 2014 Personal Challenge folder, you can track how you're doing on your own reading challenge (how many books you've read). I'm sorry; I'm on my

message 46: by Kara, Moderator (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2693 comments --I'm on my phone and deplaning. (Which is also why my initial message cut out. Sorry!)

Tammie | 94 comments Ok so I will start now ty

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 507 comments Just a humble suggestion: Would you guys consider announcing group reads earlier? Finding out a couple days before they start doesn't leave me enough time to get a book, especially with the wait times at my library (and even if I'd buy it, it wouldn't arrive in time). Maybe we could choose a couple books at a time, or reveal a month in advance (e.g. vote in Jan for March's book, reveal March's book by early Feb). Just a suggestion :-)

message 49: by Craig, Moderator (new)

Craig | 809 comments Kaitlin wrote: "Just a humble suggestion: Would you guys consider announcing group reads earlier? Finding out a couple days before they start doesn't leave me enough time to get a book, especially with the wait ti..."

Ordinarily we'd announce them by 24th or 25th of the month, but this month I was away with the family so I couldn't get round to it any earlier. If you think earlier than the 24th/25th would still be better, we can take a look at the timelines, and see what we can do.

Juliana | 42 comments Hi there I have put a list of books on my personal challenge for 2014 but can you edit a post and say add a book or a date etc to that one post rather then adding extra comments??

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread