The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Hitchhikers Guide - Spoilers

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8517 comments Mod
Let it rip....
Get it all out there on the table.
Spoil me!

Adam | 37 comments I just finished the book. I had read it once before about five years back but didn't remember much about it. I also haven't seen the movie so it's a relatively fresh experience for me.

I really loved the humor. My favorite parts were the paranoid android, the improbability device, the meaning of life debates, and of course the hitchhiker's guide.

My only complaint was that the plot seemed fairly lackluster. I guess in comedy, plot is just a device that gets the reader from one joke to the next.

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else got the most laughs from.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I would have to disagree with you about there being no plot... (Just out of curiosity, did you read the entire series? That would make a difference.)

Anyway, I will admit that it jumped around a lot and touched on a LOT of different issues, but that's part of what I love about it. Overall though, I think that the story is mainly a journey to find happiness and acceptance in ones own life.

Arthur starts out miserable, and just existing, not living, then goes on a bunch of adventures, falls in love and finally ends up back where he started, only happy this time.

Adam | 37 comments I did read the full story a few years back and I agree that that makes for a more complete story. As a standalone book, not a lot happened in Hitchhiker. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I definitely will have to read the next four books again sometime soon :)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments This is one of my all time favorite series.I always get something different out of it

Kandice | 3430 comments Hitchjiker really does set the stage for the series. The jokes are great, and I think it CAN be enjoyed on it's own, but certainly gains charm when read as the beginning as opposed to the entire story.
Becky was so right. It's Dent's path to happiness. I think the lesson is exactly what she said. He's miserable, but after adventuring, ends up exactly where he started, only happy.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Adam, you're right that not a lot happens plot-wise in Hitchhiker's Guide... It really is, like Kandice said, setting the stage for the rest of the journey.

I love the fact that the series starts with Arthur's whole life being destroyed. He was so miserable on Earth, and then when it's blown up, he's not happy to be alive, he just wants a cup of tea. If that's not rock bottom, I don't know what is!

Alycia (alyciac) | 2662 comments I haven't read this in years. I think my copy is up in the attic somewhere. Checked it out of the library today, and I've got my towel and am ready to go!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1505 comments As a Civil Engineer, I think my favorite part is still the irony at the beginning... Arthur is protesting his house being demolished for a bypass to go through it, but really, the Earth is about to be destroyed in order to put in a sort of Intergalactic bypass... :) Eminent Domain at its finest! ;)

Hayes (Hayes13) ...the futility of it all... depressing and incredibly funny at the same time!

Eric | 382 comments I really enjoyed the humor in this book. It hit's me dead on as really funny. The plot was a bit lacking but I am continuing on with the rest of the books now in hopes of more laughs. :)

Alycia (alyciac) | 2662 comments Finished! And it was just as funny as it was the first time around.

I'm a systems analyst (read: glorified programmer) so really got a chuckle out of Fook and Lunkwill's interaction with Deep Thought. The part about the two programmers arriving 'soberly dressed' and with briefcases had me laughing - that was a clear indicator that we weren't talking about people who live in THIS universe.

Hayes (Hayes13) I finished it today too. Really good, what a great sense of humor.

Carly | 29 comments FYI, if you like Hitchhiker's Guide, you'll probably like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series beginning with The Color of Magic. Pratchett does fantasy the same way Adams does sci-fi.

yellowbird | 55 comments Adams also wrote The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul which was pretty good, if you like Hitchiker's.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this a while ago but totally loved this book.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I should re-read it!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul was actually the sequel to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, also interesting.

Adams was one of my favorite writers on Doctor Who, back in the day.

yellowbird | 55 comments Susanna -

SHADA!

And he wrote The Pirate Planet too, didn't he??

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments He was the ... script editor? is what I want to say ... for that entire Key to Time season.

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 431 comments I'll admit to having a first edition of the leather bound Ultimate Guide. It contains all but "The Salmon of Doubt". Has anyone read Salmon? Is it worth the read?

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Dorie wrote: "I'll admit to having a first edition of the leather bound Ultimate Guide. It contains all but "The Salmon of Doubt". Has anyone read Salmon? Is it worth the read?"

I've read it. It's definitely worth the read. There are some great insights into what Adams was like as a person (a great guy, of course). :)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 82 comments I loved Marvin the depressed robot. He was the best character. ^_^

Sara Musko (surrra) | 1 comments Yes Marvin was by far my favorite part of the book! I ended up really enjoying it, although I think a lot of the humor just went over my head. Like I know this is probably funny but I'm not sure why....

Knarik | 72 comments At least Marvin knew about his part, roul in the book, while the other characters weren't sure what they were doing in that book, which doesn't even have plot.
the book wasn't very interesting or genius, but it was well written, the author was certanly talanted.

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments It really is more a satire on humanity and its absurdities more than anything else.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments I love this book... Marvin is definitely a character!!! I read the second book, but I want to continue the rest of the series. Is it good/worth reading?

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments I love them all.

Manday | 212 comments Laugh out loud funny, as usual. I always want to explain how funny this book is to people, but you can't, because the humor and the jokes are so contextual.

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Marvin is so annoying! But the book was really funny. I loved how Earth was a 10 million year old experiment run by mice!

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments I know, right... brilliant! And we thought we were doing the experiment on them!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1505 comments The mice!! :) So funny. I love the guy who won the award for the fjords... what was his name? I can't remember... Slarty Bartfarst or something like that?

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments saranicole wrote: "The mice!! :) So funny. I love the guy who won the award for the fjords... what was his name? I can't remember... Slarty Bartfarst or something like that?"

Wait, is that in the first book???

Kandice | 3430 comments Yeah. He made the Fjords and was taking Dent on a tour of the replacement Earth. The guy that played him in the movie was great. Big, lumbering, humble...

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments Oh, it is coming back to me now! I remember that! That was great!!!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1505 comments I loved the idea of him creating these huge fjords and winning an award for it. So so interesting to think about...

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments saranicole wrote: "The mice!! :) So funny. I love the guy who won the award for the fjords... what was his name? I can't remember... Slarty Bartfarst or something like that?"

It doesn't matter. ;)

/Slartibartfast

Sarah (skmerry) | 16 comments I love H2G2 - no matter how many times I read it, I still laugh out loud. I'm honestly not fit to be in public when I'm reading it!

Manday | 212 comments I am almost to my favorite little sequence- the whale and the petunias. I can't wait!!

Cassie (cassielo) | 42 comments I thought the first Hitchhiker book was hilarious. My favorite part was the beginning, with the demolition. Confusing but such funny one-liners.

The ones after sort of dragged on to me - I almost didn't finish the third and haven't decided to finish the series.

Sarah (skmerry) | 16 comments I think my favourite bit is Marvin and the Frogstar battle robot.

(Though Colin the happy robot, in Mostly Harmless (I think) always makes me laugh. And the bit when Marvin rings up in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. And ... I could go on...!)

Kristen I love the mice... gotta just say that. I was laughing hardest at the end when they wanted to extract Arthur's brain and told him "Well you don't really need it...". I've read this one once before years ago.. now I think I need to read the rest of the series.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 423 comments Kristen wrote: "I love the mice... gotta just say that. I was laughing hardest at the end when they wanted to extract Arthur's brain and told him "Well you don't really need it...". I've read this one once before ..."

I know... that really is funny! I had forgotten about that!

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 218 comments I love the whale and its discovery of language.... And of course, in future books those Petunias become very important...

Manday | 212 comments that they do!! I just remember the first time I read that sequence and I was completely laughing my head off, and DH (my dear husband) wanted to know why and I could not explain it to him for the life of me!! How do you summarize something like that...

"well the ship accidentally turned two missiles into a sperm whale and a petunia and they are plummeting towards the earth and the whale is.." by that time you have already lost your audience!!

Justin | 3 comments Really enjoyed the book immensely, I just recently read through the whole series and I enjoyed Douglas Adams sense of humor. He definitely has a different approach to story-telling and I have always found something new when re-reading this series.

Tahleen I think I might have to reread these. I read this so long ago that I've forgotten a lot of it!

Adam | 37 comments I came across an interesting little Easter egg. If you search for "the answer to life, the universe, and everything" in a google search, it will come back with the number 42. In fact, it's a constant so you can perform math on it. Like "the answer to life, the universe, and everything USD in EUR".

Made me lol so I thought I'd share.

message 49: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 22, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1505 comments (the answer to life, the universe, and everything * 2) / 2 = 42

Hahahahahaha! That cracks me up! I just e-mailed that to my husband and a friend of ours... haha!

Also, check this out.

Melissa (Melitious) I liked Marvin in the movie, but in the book, he just comes across as annoying. I don't know whether I like having the movie as a reference in my mind. Part of me thinks that if I'd read the book first, some of the comedy or visuals might have been lost on me.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Color of Magic (other topics)
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (other topics)
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (other topics)