The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Veronica Mars movie!

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rasnac | 334 comments This exciting news came to my attention via lovely Bonnie Burton's Facebook feed:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5...

The video featuring Kristen Bell and many suprise guests are hilarious. And the great news is this kickstarter is launched today and as I write this, they already made more than 1.400.000 dollars of the 2.000.000 dollars goal!

As an avid Veronica Mars I have to be a part of it. And I strongly suggest you guys to join in.

Let's make it happen!

message 2: by Sean (last edited Mar 13, 2013 03:00PM) (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments From Rob Thomas' Twitter:

Okay, here it is! Stretch goal. $3 Million or Logan Echolls doesn't survive the movie! #VeronicaMars, @IMKristenBell

Rasnac | 334 comments It has not even been 24 hours and they already crossed the 2.000.000$ line; if they go this strong until the end April 12th; they can turn in into a space opera and even actually shoot the movie on planet Mars(or Neptune)!

This should encourage T&V to kickstart S&L webshow independently.

Actuallly this should be a lesson to all of us, geeks. Browncoats, X-Philes, Carnivalé fans and all other nerds who wait for the return of their beloved series or comics or movie series etc. We don't need the establishment. As long as the actual creator and the cast(and the copyright holder)are on board, we can fund it ourselves.

Joseph | 957 comments They've already got my money! (Well, a pledge of my money, to be fulfilled in 30 days.)

Yes, I'd love to see a Carnivalé revival. Although at this point I think that would be challenging.

message 5: by Rik (last edited Mar 14, 2013 08:05AM) (new)

Rik | 501 comments This excites me to no end. Season 3 was a bit of a letdown but it was an even bigger letdown to get left hanging at the end of season 3. I really hope this happens.

To this day I still think that season one of VM was perhaps the most perfect season of any TV show ever filmed.

message 6: by Kate (last edited Mar 14, 2013 09:12AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 769 comments I'm waiting patiently to see if they can sort out rewards for filthy non-USians like myself before I donate.

But I am delighted beyond measure.

Rasnac wrote: "Actuallly this should be a lesson to all of us, geeks. Browncoats, X-Philes, Carnivalé fans and all other nerds who wait for the return of their beloved series or comics or movie series etc. We don't need the establishment. As long as the actual creator and the cast(and the copyright holder)are on board, we can fund it ourselves. "

Warner Bros still owns the rights and will be involved in distribution, I'm not sure this can be characterised as a project unfettered by the establishment.

Daran | 534 comments I was a big fan of this show. The show was modern film noir in a way nobody has managed to replicate, truly unique. I'm glad to see so many of the original cast willing to come back.

Kevin | 485 comments Kate wrote: "I'm waiting patiently to see if they can sort out rewards for filthy non-USians like myself before I donate.

But I am delighted beyond measure.

Rasnac wrote: "Actuallly this should be a lesson to..."

Yea, this filthy non-USian is also withholding his pledge until they sort international rewards out. I probably would've chipped in anyway if the project really needed it, but they're doing fine without me, so I'm going to take a stand on principle. :p

Serendi | 470 comments It met the $2 million goal almost immediately - I think within 24 hours. It's now over $3 million.

Sounds like I missed a good show!

Scott (Dodger1379) | 87 comments One of the best shows ever! I donated my money and can't wait till the movie comes out. Hoping all my favorites will be in it (Weevil)

Rik | 501 comments Serendi wrote: "It met the $2 million goal almost immediately - I think within 24 hours. It's now over $3 million.

Sounds like I missed a good show!"

You did. The first season is one of the single greatest seasons of any show of all time. Season II is not as good as good as season one but still good. Season III the quality really dropped off as the network forced them to change up the way the show did things and it led to some mediocrity. Nonetheless even the drop off with season III doesn't change how great the first two seasons were.

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 769 comments Rik wrote: "Season III the quality really dropped off as the network forced them to change up the way the show did things and it led to some mediocrity. Nonetheless even the drop off with season III doesn't change how great the first two seasons were. ."

I was thinking about this today, many people attribute the drop in quality in S3 to the networks insistence on focusing on shorter arcs, instead of the season long arcs that attracted people to S1 & 2. With the short running time of a movie are they going to be able to craft the kind of mystery fans can really enjoy?

Rik | 501 comments Kate wrote: "Rik wrote: "Season III the quality really dropped off as the network forced them to change up the way the show did things and it led to some mediocrity. Nonetheless even the drop off with season II..."

I think most of us will be happy just getting some closure on the show after the way we were left hanging at the end of season III.

Will (longklaw) | 248 comments I'm really excited something like this can happen. Now I have more motivation to finish watching the series.

Clyde (wishamc) | 136 comments This is great news!
Veronica Mars was just one of the best series ever. Smart, snarky, dark, funny, and mysterious -- I rate it right up there with Firefly. (Totally different genre of course.) I totally believe that Rob Thomas and crew sold VM to the network as a teen drama (Hey imagine 90210 but with Nancy Drew!), and then they snuck in a great mystery show while the suits weren't looking.
Unlike some here, I don't think the TV series ended badly. The problem with the third season was that it kept being extended a few shows at a time, and therefore, they weren't able to tie up every loose end. That said, the only real questions remaining were about Veronica's future and her Dad's election. But hey, that is sort of like reality -- life goes on.
I hope Rob Thomas can get enough of the old cast and crew together to make this work.

Rik | 501 comments I don't know how many ever saw it but they did make a 15 minute pilot for a new Veronica series (or maybe season IV) that the network rejected. It was going to pick up 4-5 years later and Veronica would be a new FBI agent. They filmed a whole sequence with her and her partner at an FBI briefing and doing some stuff. I'm kind of wondering if they'll consider that to be canon and what actually happened with Veronica's life.

Darren | 469 comments That video was hilarious. Smart to keep Pez out of it.

Rasnac | 334 comments Rik wrote: "I don't know how many ever saw it but they did make a 15 minute pilot for a new Veronica series (or maybe season IV) that the network rejected. It was going to pick up 4-5 years later and Veronica..."

If I remember correctly from wht I read from an interview with the show creator, that pilot was pitched as an eventual direction Veronica's life will move if the series continue. It was something to excite network executives enough to renew the series. If it had worked, series would have continued from college years.Unfortunately it did not work and show got cancelled.

But now, we will have a brand new movie! I hope Francis Capra and Tina Majorino return to their roles; Weevil and Mac were my most favourite characters in the series. :)

Darren | 469 comments Yeah, I loved Weevil. It was a shame they made him a janitor in season 3.

Daran | 534 comments Darren wrote: "Yeah, I loved Weevil. It was a shame they made him a janitor in season 3."

I thought it was great that they had a former criminal go straight, and not have him immediately succeed, but he was making go of it. Though if memory serves, his last scene left some doubt as to his rehabilitation.

Rik | 501 comments Darren wrote: "Yeah, I loved Weevil. It was a shame they made him a janitor in season 3."

What else were they going to do with him? He would not have made it into the college the rest of them went to as a student. His grades were nowhere good enough and it wouldn't have fit his character. It was enough of a stretch to believe that Veronica, Logan, Dick, Wallace, and Mac all went there.

message 22: by Rik (last edited Mar 22, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Rik | 501 comments Rasnac wrote: "Rik wrote: "I don't know how many ever saw it but they did make a 15 minute pilot for a new Veronica series (or maybe season IV) that the network rejected. It was going to pick up 4-5 years later ..."

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if it will be considered canon as far as the movie in that Veronica will either be a current or former FBI agent. In the real world there is no way Veronica could pass a background check to get in the FBI given her history of illegal activities (break ins, making illegal ID's, hacking, etc).

Rasnac | 334 comments Rik wrote: Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if it will be considered canon as far as the movie in that Veronica will either be a current or former FBI agent. In the real world there is no way Veronica could pass a background check to get in the FBI given her history of illegal activities (break ins, making illegal ID's, hacking, etc).

But she never got caught and convicted for doing those illegal activities ;). In any case her juvienile record would be sealed even if got one(as I understand from watching many American crime dramas).

And a background of solving nationally famous murders and catching serial rapists as a teenager should count for something.

Rik | 501 comments Rasnac wrote: "Rik wrote: Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if it will be considered canon as far as the movie in that Veronica will either be a current or former FBI agent. In the real world there is no way Veron..."

She was 18 / 19 in college for many of her incidents including where she broke into Jake Kaine's residence and stole his hard drive. Even if she wasn't convicted it and many other things would turn up in an FBI background investigation. Not to mention it would probably come up that she helped kidnap an infant and help the kidnapper flee overseas (Duncan and his baby). Not enough to convict her but definitely enough to raise a gazillion red flags.

William (w13rdo) | 37 comments How much do I have to donate to ensure those responsible for S3 are kept far far away from the project?

Rik | 501 comments William wrote: "How much do I have to donate to ensure those responsible for S3 are kept far far away from the project?"

It was the networks fault. They wanted shorter arcs and by the midpoint they wanted nothing but one and done episodes. They also were the ones behind the push toward "big name" guest stars who really did nothing for the show - the Paul Ruud episode for example.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments You really can't blame the network. With the ratings the show got, any other network would've canceled it after three episodes, but UPN/CW not only gave it three seasons, they gave it their best rated shows as lead-ins (America's Next Top Model and Gilmore Girls) and arranged for reruns to air on MTV and CBS.

Rasnac wrote: "But she never got caught and convicted for doing those illegal activities ;). In any case her juvienile record would be sealed even if got one(as I understand from watching many American crime dramas)."

The FBI doesn't care if it's been sealed, or even if she was convicted -- a background check is all about finding out if a person can handle a position of trust and making sure they don't have any secrets that can be used for extortion.

Rasnac | 334 comments Think of all the great detective work Ms.Mars did in high school and college; I think FBI would be impressed with her talent. Just Lily Kane murder itself was a nation-wide famous case and she solved it. And that would outweight some bad gossips and few unproven accusations of petty crime.

By the way, according to the show creator's tweet "Since leaving Neptune, Veronica has graduated from Stanford and Columbia Law" I don't think she would become a lawyer so that might mean her story is moving to the direction of FBI. I wonder if they'll open the movie with her joining the FBI(maybe using or reshooting some scenes from that pilot)and go from there?

P.S. I must be the only VM fan who enjoyed more chaotic and more complex multi-arched structure of Season 3; I found it much more realistic than one big year-long arch and several stand-alone episodes structure of most TV shows. Story arches overlapped partly, did not drag more than they were supposed to just ot create fake tension; and story flowed much more naturalisticaly.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments Rasnac wrote: "Think of all the great detective work Ms.Mars did in high school and college; I think FBI would be impressed with her talent."

Given her propensity to break the law in furtherance of an investigation, I'm not sure the FBI would want her in a position where she could ruin a major case. I'm not sure I'd want her in that position.

message 30: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2727 comments Mod
Wired did an interview with Rob Thomas, post kickstarter.

unread topics | mark unread