Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Didn't read our Books of the Month?

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Well, what else have you been reading? Anything you'd like to recommend or even nominate for Book of the Month?

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Mar 30, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Nancy While I was on vacation in Poland last week, I read Was by Geoff Ryman. It started off a little slow and I got frustrated bouncing back and forth between characters. Once I got into the flow of the story and found them starting to intersect, it was difficult for me to put the book down. I loved the mix of reality and fantasy, the characters' lives all connected by "The Wizard of Oz". It was a very imaginative and heartbreaking story.

I'd like to nominate it, but will have to go and check if this has been done before.

Stefan, will you be including our past reads on the Bookshelf?

message 3: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Yep, I was planning on it at some point. I haven't been able to get everything set up yet, but we're slowly getting there.

Geoff Ryman sounds familiar. I don't think we've read Was yet, but I know that at least one of his books has been nominated several times.

message 4: by Jade (last edited Mar 30, 2009 05:27PM) (new)

Jade (jaderubies) Geoff Ryman sounds familiar. I don't think we've read Was yet, but I ..."

Ryman wrote "Air : Or, Have Not Have "--its been on my TBR list ever since Richard Morgan mentioned it when he was discussing his "Thirteen" with us...

message 5: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 1731 comments Didn't read the BOTM. Finishing Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies and also read Czerneda's Trade Pact books, _A Thousand Words for Stranger_ and _Ties of Power_.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (Hippygoth66) | 99 comments Not read this months books as I have been rereading Tom Lloyd's first two books "Stormcaller" and "Twilight Herald" and am now half way thru his third (just published) Grave Thief.
I was surprised how much detail from the first novel I had forgotten (like the fact there were vampires in the books) and I had forgotten the main plot line of the second. I mainly just remembers the central characters and how much the books had engaged me.
Having a terrible memory for details means that though I can usually remember the ending of a book I don't alway remember how the author gets there. So I can get engrossed in the novel a second time around.
Or in the case of David Gemmell the 20th time or so. Though I might be able to write "Legend" out long hand by now.
Would recommend Tom Lloyd to anyone who enjoys frand scale fantasy, I remember thinking that his first book was a fresh voice when I read it first time around. Though they contain many of the ingredients you expect in a fantasy novel, magic, gods, unexpected destiny. The author manages to add a spark to his story telling.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) | 338 comments Kathi wrote: "Didn't read the BOTM. Finishing Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies and also read Czerneda's Trade Pact books, _A Thousand Words for Stranger_ and _Ties of Power_."

How was Ties of Power? I've seen it at the library and I really enjoyed A Thousand Words when we read it a couple months ago.

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (eris404) | 20 comments I have had His Majesty's Dragon in my to-read pile for a while and more than likely I'll get to it before the end of the month. In the meantime, I've been listening to the audiobook of Infected by Scott Sigler. I've discovered that I don't really like audiobooks; I can read faster than the reader/performer and I get impatient.

message 9: by Kathi (last edited Apr 02, 2009 10:17AM) (new)

Kathi | 1731 comments Sisimka wrote: "How was Ties of Power? I've seen it at the library and I really enjoyed A Thousand Words when we read it a couple months ago. "

I liked it--more than enough plot twists to keep me engaged. I thought _A Thousand Words for Stranger_ was kind of a SF-ified romance. This had less of that kind of feel to it, IMO. Ready to start the final book in that trilogy, _To Trade the Stars_, today.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1151 comments I have previously read Novaks book. I wasnt interested in Hammered.
Presently reading By the Sword by Richard Cohen. A history of Swords and Fencing.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I stumbled upon a copy of Black Powder War at a used book store today and snatched it up. I have Throne of Jade and Empire of Ivory already in my collection. I read His Majesty's Dragon for a different book club a few months ago and enjoyed it.

message 12: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments I read His Majesty's Dragon a few years ago and wasn't really planning on reading Hammered, but after reading some of the posts want to check it out. Some books I've been reading have been The Giver & Gathering Blue books 1 & 2 in The Giver Trilogy by Lois Lowry. They are for kids, but they were great, they take place in a future society. I was disappointed that my library didn't offer book 3. I'm also in the middle of Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey which is the third book in trilogy featuring Imreal. I also have a few non science fiction or fantasy books going now too.

message 13: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I am really enjoying The Best of Gene Wolfe A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction. I'll post a review once I'm done with it (taking a break now to read The Traveler for next month's discussion), but so far they're some of the best SF short stories I've ever read... and they make me want to re-read other books by Gene Wolfe!

message 14: by Frank (new)

Frank Taranto (xtontox) | 38 comments I read His Majesty's Dragon about a year and a half ago and really enjoyed it. I wanted to read Hammered, but neither of the two library sytems I use had it. I will have to try interlibrary loan.

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 39 comments Staci wrote: "I read His Majesty's Dragon a few years ago and wasn't really planning on reading Hammered, but after reading some of the posts want to check it out. Some books I've been reading have been The Give..."

I enjoyed The Giver but I didn't know it was part of a trilogy... I will have to look for book 2!

message 16: by Staci (new)

Staci | 47 comments Barb, yes book 2, Gathering Blue, takes place in a very different community with different characters. Then I think in book 3, Messenger, the two main characters from books 1 & 2 meet. I haven't found Messenger yet, so not sure how that one is. But I really enjoyed books 1 & 2.

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane (Hippygoth66) | 99 comments I didn't read the books of the month, didn't have copies of them and my pennies were spent on Tom Lloyd's and Kristin Cashore's new novels.
I had been waiting for the latest Tom Lloyd book and wasn't disappointed, though the ending was unexpected. I won't give away any spoilers, will just say that the book is as good as the first two.
The book by Kristin Cashore, is I believe a first novel and I flew through the first half. Then stalled, and was sidetracked by I Robot.
Just need to update my goodreads entry for Grave Thief.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane (Hippygoth66) | 99 comments Just realized that I had already posted to this thread already, sorry for repeats

message 19: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 456 comments I'm in something of a reading slump at the moment and I'm flitting around books without my focus. I've already read His Majesty's Dragon and I bought Hammered, but when the time came I just didn't feel like reading it. I hope to do so at some point.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Was (other topics)
Throne of Jade (other topics)
His Majesty's Dragon (other topics)
Black Powder War (other topics)
Empire of Ivory (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gene Wolfe (other topics)