♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Debates > First Person vs. Third Person

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Calleiro (YvetteMCalleiro) | 6 comments Some authors choose to write in first person (where the main character is telling the story from their point of view).

Some authors choose to write in third person (where the reader can see the thoughts and feelings of various characters).

Still, some authors, more and more often, are chosing to write different chapters from different characters point of view in first person. With these books, sometimes each chapter switches points of view but each one is in first person. The title of the chapter tends to be the name of the character who will be telling the story. For example, ch. 1 would be in X's first person p.o.v. and ch. 2 would be in Y's first person p.o.v.

Which type of novel do you prefer? Do you like: one character telling the story in their pov? Or do you like 3rd person pov throughout the whole story? OR do you like when the author switches between different characters telling the story???

message 2: by S.L.J. (new)

S.L.J. (SammySLJ) | 31 comments From what I've seen, Drama, romance, coming-of-age stories are usually better off being written in the first person because the story is much more reliant on a characters emotions and how they very the world.

Action, adventure stories tend to work better in the third person.

message 3: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new)

Jennifer (IvashkovLover) | 3369 comments Mod
I prefer first person. I hate third person and often end up giving up on reading the book but that's just me. Some if very well done I do enjoy like Falling Kingdoms and Venom. I also really LOVE dual POVs where each chapter switches characters especially in romances. I like to see both sides of the story.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (WaterSpout) | 378 comments I like dual POVs too but only if its a romance novel. And if they can pull it off as well as Beth Revis did in Across the Universe.

But generally, I like first person view. It makes me more attached to the main character as I see the things around him/her in their perspective. I think it's better for authors to write in third person though, because they get to step back and see each characters' personality, and not just the main characters.

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (LexiiHope) | 13 comments I tend to loove first person. I feel as if third person is harder to master, and the characters can be easily lost or seem disconnected/not personal. At the same time, when third person is done well, it truly enhances the story. Dramatic irony makes the reader want to scream:P

message 6: by Trinity (new)

Trinity I love first person and so far ive been reading books dealing with 3 person :(
i dont reay like 3 person but im getting used to it

message 7: by Irma!!! (new)

Irma!!! | 858 comments I like first person better, since it makes me better understand the main characters and know what they are thinking and feeling. Third person is also okay since you can read and know about more than one character, but sometimes it just gets confusing.

message 8: by Trinity (new)

Trinity Same Irma ! Same

message 9: by Sthella (new)

Sthella | 1 comments First person! I feel more connected to the story. With third person I tend to get bored although in some cases third person may be more appropriate.

message 10: by Trinity (new)

Trinity wow u guys are thinking exactly as me :)

message 11: by Leo (new)

Leo | 39 comments It seems like I am the odd one out, then. I generally prefer third person to first person with only one narrator to multiple/dual first person POVs. Though which one is better depends on the story, I guess. Also, I find writing in 1st person a lot harder. Hmm, maybe that's a result of my reading choice?

message 12: by Cami (new)

Cami S. I actually love to read 3rd person. I find it fun to see the feelings of characters in a different way

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

first person. I also agree with that connection. I'm not as engaged with third person.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 27 comments I think that you can connect with the characters more in 1st person but usually there is better description ect in 3rd person.... Generally. I think it depends on what is more important to you. I prefer 1st person though

message 15: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Kavich (ackavich) Great discussion. When I write in the third person, I attempt to craft exposition to match the perspective of the character that is central to the scene.

For example, if I'm writing a scene in which a child wanders through a meadow, I like to describe the flowers with simple terms that child would understand, not with Latin!

This gives even third person narratives a first person intimacy.

AC

message 16: by Natalia Heaney (last edited Sep 30, 2013 07:45AM) (new)

Natalia Heaney | 8 comments With books aimed at a younger demographic, I sort of expect first person. YA and NA books... I think maybe it helps readers identify with the characters.

However, first person is practically considered a crime in fiction for adults! Most readers of fiction beyond New Adult will only read third person, and refuse to read books written from another perspective.

I have to say, I think I agree. I like first person in YA, but don't love it when I'm reading adult fiction!

Not sure how much sense that makes, except that teen experiences in YA books seem to work well in first... Some publishers won't even accept manuscripts in first person these days.

message 17: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Nathania | 3 comments I DONT LIKE BEING THE THIRD PERSON.
im reading the maze runner, and im not enjoying it at all.
being as the third person is nonsense to me. we know what the main character's thinking but we cant tell what the others are thinking.

i totally prefer being the first person. its like im actually in the story, just changing names.

message 18: by Komal (new)

Komal (k0k0) I'm currently on the second installment of the Maze Runner and I agree with Jesse that, despite being third person, we don't get much development and sentiments of various other characters - this being a pain because all the side ones appear to be so much better and likeable than the main hero.

As for a general preference of Third VS First person, I prefer third, for reasons most posters have already stated above: it opens the horizons to look into other characters and their feelings. First person dwells mainly on the hero/heroine and, if the lead is annoying (which isn't a rare occurrence), I get frustrated with my read.

message 19: by Val (new)

Val (ValeriePSilva) | 144 comments Anna wrote: "I prefer reading a book in first person. It seems like first person allows the reader to connect with the main character easier than with third person; however, I enjoy reading in third person also..."
I'm so agreed with you

message 20: by Kaity (new)

Kaity (i-love-books-because-reasons) | 16 comments I like both but I prefer first person POV. First person allows you to really connected with the character.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Saraahxo) | 5 comments First person but multiple perspectives.

message 22: by Funmbi (new)

Funmbi (the-book-was-better) First person

message 23: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 6 comments Yeah, I definitely pick first person but if it's an action book maybe third person that way I can follow multiple developments and get a feel for it all. I think the best use of multiple perspectives was the Percy Jackson series, it never seemed dull or too reliant on one person.

unread topics | mark unread