Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > who all has bought a book just because the title grabbed you

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2426 comments Mod
Ok, who else in the group has seen a book with a strange (or catchy) title by an author you knew nothing about and HAD to buy it? And how did it turn out?

The big one I can think of that I did was called Bimbos of the Death Sun and, despite the title it turned out to actually be a mystery. The Bimbos referred to in the title was a hard sci/fi book that the amateur detective wrote. The events of the mystery are taking place during a sci/fi convention. (I'm sure we've all been to a few cons, and can understand the madness that happens there, right?) Never mind that silly "What happens in Vegas" stuff, lets get down to it and admit that that saying really originated for fan conventions of any type. Lol, I still remember one con I attended (and worked Night Ops on) where those of us in Ops had pens made that said, "there's a WHAT on the 9th floor?"

SO, come on and share some of your crazy book purchases

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I did that with Moon called and was glad I did . The Mercy series turned out to be one of my favorite series.

Nichole (Dirty H) (DirtyH) Title - pretty much never, at least in this genre. The titles are usually really vague, have little do with the story, and sound really stupid/cheesy/embarrassing.
Cover, maybe. Though they're usually just as embarrassing.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 309 comments The title makes me pick it up then I read the back and if it still looks good I read page 99 and if that is a go then I buy it.

I did that with the Rachel Morgan series and I did it with the BDB so sometimes it can work.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments I've definitely done this quite a few times. I bought Bitten, Moon Called, the first in the Keri Arthur series, Death's Daughter... I think there have been more lol. I just browse the shelves at B&N and pick up whatever looks good. I think the only book I bought on the spur that I disliked was Dhampir. ick. Otherwise I've been pretty good.

message 6: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Winkie by Clifford Chase. A poor little Teddy gets arrested for terrorism. Turned out quite well! I enjoyed it.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments Although I have yet to read the one I own (it's on my challenge list for April though), I would buy anything by Mario Acevedo. I just couldn't pass up titles like The Nymphos of Rocky Flats,The Undead Kama Sutra and Jailbait Zombie. Plus the covers are brilliant as well.

message 8: by pianogal (new)

pianogal | 31 comments I did with "Colors Insulting to Nature." Thought that was a great title, but I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, and I've kinda forgotten what it was about...

message 9: by Jessa (last edited Mar 26, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Jessa Slade (JessaSlade) | 114 comments Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand by Samuel Delany. That sf title captured me instantly. I haven't read it in years. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm not usually an impulse book buyer (I swear!) but I can be suckered into picking something up by a good title or cover. If the blurb and first few pages intrigue, it goes home with me.

message 10: by The Flooze (last edited Mar 26, 2009 12:44PM) (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Just remembered! I did that with Snow White and the Seven Samurai by Tom Holt. Haven't read it yet.

And Undead and Unwed was also a random purchase based on the title and cover. Now I love MJD.

I tend to read the first page of a book while standing in the bookstore-just to see if the writing style might be to my liking. I can not trust the blurbs at the back of books anymore. There are so many poorly written ones! I take it more as a guideline than a true indication of what the book will be like.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (BethPS) | 3 comments This is how I discovered one of my very favorite series: Immortality Bites. Plus with book titles like "Fanged & Fabulous" - how could you go wrong? They were great reads.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I bought this short story not necessarily because of the title but because the description reeled me in like a shark to a bucket of chum...

Not in Kansas...Gliders and Wizards and Sex Droids… Oh My!

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments Lol

message 14: by Gail (new)

Gail | 110 comments I bought Outlander because of the title. Well, okay, the title grabbed me, I read the cover copy, and had the library order it. Then I bought my own copy after I read it. There are probably other books I've picked up to look at because of the title. I usually don't BUY just because of the title, but it can get me to pick it up...

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Holzner (NancyHolzner) | 2 comments I'm with DarkHeart about Mario Acevedo's titles. I discovered the latest one (Jailbait Zombie) first, but now I want to read them all. A title that shows the book has a sense of humor will always get my attention.

A non-fantasy book I picked up because of the title was The Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England.

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (ChristyLeighStewart) | 158 comments Adolf in Wonderland by Carlton Mellick III

message 17: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (KierstenFay) | 274 comments I rarely buy because of a title. It's the cover that grabs me.

message 18: by Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** (last edited Apr 15, 2013 10:39PM) (new)

Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** | 230 comments Kerrelyn Sparks' The Vampire and the Virgin hooked me with the name and the cover The Vampire and the Virgin (Love at Stake, #8) by Kerrelyn Sparks. I didn't actually like the book at all though. In the writer's defense it was in the middle of an unfamiliar series. It was a DNF for me.

message 19: by PNRlover (new)

PNRlover | 7 comments LOL - I bought, "Dragon, Actually" for the title and loved the book. I also just ordered, "Gentlemen Prefer Succubi" but have not read it yet. Thought both titles had a sense of humor.

message 20: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (ClaireVioletThorpe) | 126 comments I brought Game of Thrones just because I saw Sean Bean on the front cover.

message 21: by Sascha (new)

Sascha Illyvich (SaschaIllyvich) | 29 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, who else in the group has seen a book with a strange (or catchy) title by an author you knew nothing about and HAD to buy it? And how did it turn out?

Luckily I haven't really done that. MOre like, people have said "Sascha you'll like this." Referring to Sherilyn Kenyon or JR Ward. Even some of N. Singh's work has been sent my way.

I DID however buy a book based on the hot chick on the cover. Thankfully Yasmine Galenorn can write, otherwise I'd be pretty pissed LOL! (It was Camille's first book btw)

Sascha

message 22: by Michelle S. (last edited May 08, 2013 01:29PM) (new)

Michelle S. (quill_n_ink) | 90 comments Just finished The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley. Usually, the cover catches my eye but in this case, the title caught my attention and the description hooked me. So glad I read it! (It's an HR, not a PNR, btw.)

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Snark (MelissaSnark) | 101 comments I'm more likely to buy because of a catchy cover than a catchy title. The exception is when it's targeted directly at a topic that interests me. :)

message 24: by Thacher (new)

Thacher Cleveland | 2 comments I bought "Jailbait Zombie" because the title was...well, Jailbait Zombie. Didn't realize it was part of a series and went back to read Nymphos of Rocky Flats. Turned out not to be my taste.

On the other hand I bought Everybody Smokes In Hell just based off the title and John Ridley became one of my favorite writers, so you never really know...

message 25: by Betlehem Fekade (new)

Betlehem Fekade | 27 comments I bought The Particular Sadnes of Lemon Cake just because of the title. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender It wasn't such a bad book, just a bit slow towards the very end.

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoriaclapton) | 9 comments I saw Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side misplaced on a shelf of my local bookstore as I walking out the door. The title made me laugh, so I bought it on a whim. I'm glad I did. It turned out to be a great book.

Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** | 230 comments Not romance but this title stopped me in my tracks Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments I bought Gena Showalter's Darkest Passion (LotU) because of the book cover. I figured since I drooled on it in the store, it would be rude to put it back on the shelf! LOL!

And boy was I glad I did, she's one of my favorite authors.

message 29: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot The title and cover are what gets me to lift a book off the shelf if I'm in Waterstones browsing-but it's the blurb on the back that makes my decision of buy or don't buy.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dhampir (other topics)
The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (other topics)
Jailbait Zombie (other topics)
The Undead Kama Sutra (other topics)
Snow White and the Seven Samurai (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mario Acevedo (other topics)
Tom Holt (other topics)