Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2009 Challenge Archive > April - Pick It For Me!

Comments (showing 101-149 of 149) (149 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) Moss wrote: "Darkheart, I ordered Kiss of Midnight yesterday and it should be with me by next week. I can't wait!"

I hope you enjoy it. I find the series quite addicting and it's one of my auto-buys.

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Melody wrote: "I see the first 2 of your recommendations are for books from a series..."

Heh yeah there was a weird logic to the choices, and now it escapes me what they were! I think it was that One Bite With A Stranger is a kind of prequel and so can be read slightly separate. As for Oceans for Fire I'm having second thoughts and might re-direct you to Magic in the Wind instead, which is a novella that kicks off the entire Drake Sisters series by Christine Feehan. If you don't enjoy that you'll know not to read the rest LOL. As for Mark Haddon and the The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time I've yet to meet anyone, adult or young adult, who has NOT enjoyed that story :-) Eek, to recap:

One Bite With A Stranger by Christine Warren
Magic in the Wind by Christine Feehan
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Melody (Melos) | 692 comments tosca wrote: Heh yeah there was a weird logic to the choices, and now it escapes me what they were!..."

Works for me. :O) I'll try the Warren first, but I went ahead and ordered the Feehan too (I owe her another read and this series sounds great), and I'll read Curious at the end of the month if I have time. (I can't choose just one anymore than I can recommend just one!)

Thanks!

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Heh don't be afraid to tell me you think they suck if you don't enjoy them LOL

message 105: by Adrienne (last edited Apr 04, 2009 02:56AM) (new)

Adrienne Sarah wrote: "Adrienne,

I'm not sure what you've already read, so I'm making a main suggestion and a backup.

My main suggestion for you is Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian.

In case you've read that, my b..."

picked up my copy of this yesterday::started it this morning::i'm liking what i'm reading::just got to a HOT spot :)::

Barbara ★ | 2248 comments Mel wrote: "Barbara you have so many books on your shelves. It gave me a good idea on what books you like. For you I have chosen [b:Angels' Blood|3819326|Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters, Book 1)|Nalini Singh|htt..."

Mel, I started it today and really like it. What a concept - archangels hold sway over vampires. How cool is that?

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Adrienne wrote: "Sarah wrote: "i'm liking what i'm reading::just got to a HOT spot..."

I'm assuming that's not a HOT spot as in wireless internet access...heh

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments I just picked up my chosen book, so far its cute! :D I have a super bad migraine or I would have read more by now :(

Will keep you posted tho!

Adrienne Tricia wrote: "I just picked up my chosen book, so far its cute! :D I have a super bad migraine or I would have read more by now :(

Will keep you posted tho!"

Awwww go and lie down in a dark room::take some ibuprofen and then you'll feel better:: don't read too much 'cos it'll make you feel icky::

Sherrill Tricia wrote: "I just picked up my chosen book, so far its cute! :D I have a super bad migraine or I would have read more by now :(

Will keep you posted tho!"

Hope you took some time to rest your head to get rid of the migraine.

Sherrill Courtney...started my chosen book today...after seven hours out in the garden, I think a nice, quiet evening reading with be a great way to wrap up the day.

Adrienne OMG what where u doing 4 7 hrs

Barbara ★ | 2248 comments Mel, what a fabulous pick from you. I haven't read anything by Nalini Singh but I'm going to put her on my TBR list. What a spectacular book! Thanks so much for recommending it.

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments Barbara: Oh I'm so happy you liked it! I haven't read Nalini Singh but she's definitely high on my tbr list. I'm waiting for Angels Blood to arrive. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sherrill Adrienne wrote: "OMG what where u doing 4 7 hrs"

LOL...moving mulch with the tractor, moving the greenhouse...it was quite the back-breaking day.

message 116: by Jodz (new)

Jodz (Jodz87) | 77 comments My book arrived today =) We leave for vacation in 2 days so I'm saving it for then!

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments Amanda: I have just finished The Hunger Games. I LOVED the whole death lottery scenario. I could not put the book down. Fabulous read.

I now have Vampire Academy. I'm going to read it over the long weekend.

Thanks for the picks!

message 118: by Adrienne (last edited Apr 09, 2009 12:35PM) (new)

Adrienne Sarah I've finished *Kiss of Midnight* :: i wanted to read it before our holiday in case i didn't have time when i got back::i really enjoyed it::and will definately read the rest of the series::looking forward to reading Dantes book which i beleive is the next one::

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments Mel wrote: "Amanda: I have just finished The Hunger Games. I LOVED the whole death lottery scenario. I could not put the book down. Fabulous read.

I now have Vampire Academy. I'm going to read it over the..."

Glad you liked it, Mel!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments I'm glad you liked it, Adrienne.

Melody (Melos) | 692 comments tosca wrote: "...One Bite With A Stranger is a kind of prequel and so can be read slightly separate...Heh don't be afraid to tell me you think they suck if you don't enjoy them LOL"

tosca, I read the Warren today. Awesome pick! You nailed my style. I can't wait to read your other picks. :O)

Kasia So I've read the Dark Lover in one sitting

::crimson red blush::

Makes me a little ashamed I must admit. I keep saying that GR corrupts, but you guys take it to a whole different layer... Pushing on my boundaries. Making me read all the naughty books. That's second in a row naughty Pick-It-For-Me. And the worst thing, I like it. Damn.

In summary: Yz, thanks for making me blush, again! It was fun.

message 123: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Apr 12, 2009 06:42AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8842 comments Your welcome, Kasia.

Now you have a reference point in choosing your Wrath in the PC Challenge....LOL

Hope you will continue reading the series. I, for one, would love to discuss those books with you.

message 124: by Lara (new)

Lara | 109 comments Lori wrote: "Lara, it was so hard to decide for you because there are so many series that you haven't started yet! I know you like everything from YA to books that are a little on the steamy side...so I'm givi..."
Lori, I just got through with Dark Lover and what an awesome book that was. I can't wait to get started on the rest of the series. I can't thank you enough for introducing me to this book.

message 125: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Apr 12, 2009 05:17PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Will there be a May - Pick It For Me? If so, I want in on it.

Kasia Yes, we'll have a separate thread and sign-up for that at the end of the month. Hold on there, time's gonna fly by.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Lara, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You'll be just as addicted to the BDB boys as the rest of us now. Enjoy the rest of the series.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Lori wrote: "Lara, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You'll be just as addicted to the BDB boys as the rest of us now. Enjoy the rest of the series."

Addicted? Mhoi? *giggles* Just because I changed my name from Ruth to Rhuth.... does that make me an addict? LOL

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Melody wrote: "tosca wrote: "...tosca, I read the Warren today. Awesome pick! You nailed my style. I can't wait to read your other picks. :O) ..."

I'm absolutely stoked you enjoyed the pick! Was biting my nails over it LOL I myself have an Anne Rice book I've never read before as my pick and I'm leaving it till the very end because I'm planning to draw out the experience :) I don't know how I've missed this one before - when I was in New Orleans last month one of the tour guides recommended it and I remember thinking, 'Oh I must look that up,' and then promptly forgot all about it - and now it's popped up again LOL

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments Amanda: I finished Vampire Academy. I started it yesterday and could not put it down. I have added the next book in the series Frostbite to my tbr list.

Thanks for introducing me to Richelle Mead and thanks for the wonderful picks this month!

message 131: by [deleted user] (new)

Darkheart: Finished Kiss of Midnight today. Thanks for the pick, I really wanted to read her--she's got a lot of buzz here on GR. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be contributing to it, didn't care much for the book. I'm glad I read her though, I had her on my TBR list for so long she was starting to feel like the final frontier. Cheers!

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments Mel wrote: "Amanda: I finished Vampire Academy. I started it yesterday and could not put it down. I have added the next book in the series Frostbite to my tbr list.

Thanks for introducing me to Richelle Mea..."

Your welcome, Mel! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Adrienne - omg thank you for this pick! I'm loving it so much - the writing is lush and highly evocative and not at all what I was expecting. I deliberately didn't read a synopsis about it because I didn't want to have any preconceived ideas about the book. Started it this morning on the bus (which was a mistake because the man sitting beside me kept trying to read my ebook too, ahem lol) and have been cursing all day because have had two meetings and no opportunity to get back to it until now :) So thank you VERY MUCH for the suggestion :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) Moss wrote: "Darkheart: Finished Kiss of Midnight today. Thanks for the pick, I really wanted to read her--she's got a lot of buzz here on GR. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be contributing to it, didn't ca..."

Rats! Well, I guess she isn't for everyone. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your next recommendation. =/

Adrienne tosca wrote: "Adrienne - omg thank you for this pick! I'm loving it so much - the writing is lush and highly evocative and not at all what I was expecting. I deliberately didn't read a synopsis about it becaus..."

Had a feeling you'd like it:)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Hi Melody

Thanks for the recommendation - glad you prompted me to read Ella enchanted - finally! - and breaking me away from my prejuidices!

You're right - I love fairy tale retellings - but I am hopeless at putting everything on my goodreads shelf (and that's just what I've been reading, let alone pre-goodreads!).

Light and fun - just what I needed - with just enough angst (not teen agony angst, thank goodness) to create (a wee bit of) drama and tension.

Lori - hope The scent of shadows is going ok.

message 137: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Apr 23, 2009 07:50AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8842 comments Lara:

I read and finished Causing Havoc yesterday. At first when I read the blurb, I was like, hmm...not sure how an extreme sports athlete as a hero, since I'm not big on contact sports.

However, I got hooked at page one and continued reading it for the whole day. Dean is definitely a great hero, plus lots of quirky secondary characters that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Great recommendation, Lara, and I will be looking for more of this series and books by this author.

message 138: by Lara (new)

Lara | 109 comments Yay! I am so glad you liked it. Book #3 Hard To Handle is my favorite. I absolutely love Lori Foster!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Moss picked Marked By Moonlight for me, and I'm liking it very much. I've got a few chapters to go yet, but I am enjoying the character play between the two leads quite a bit. Thanks for a great suggestion!

Melody (Melos) | 692 comments Annie wrote: "Hi Melody

Thanks for the recommendation - glad you prompted me to read Ella enchanted - finally! - and breaking me away from my prejuidices!

Glad you liked it. :O)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments I keep putting my pick it for me book down =/ Not sure if its the author or just that I am not in the mood for the book or what.
It seemed good but dunno what it is.

Ah well, thank you for the pick though! /hugs

Glori (divina) | 37 comments Jes wrote: "Glori:

I totally had to have help picking your book so I apologize for the delay. So if you don't like it, blame Lara. But for you I pick Black Ice by Anne Stuart. I have never read i..."

Jes and Lara,

Thank you for the pick, I am enjoying Black Ice. I was a little hesitant before starting the book, but now I find myself staying awake later than I should to read more. :-)

message 143: by tosca (last edited Apr 30, 2009 04:01AM) (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Lara wrote: "Yay! I am so glad you liked it. Book #3 Hard To Handle is my favorite. I absolutely love Lori Foster!"

Have you read My Man Michael, yet? It's the most recent one in the series. I had to read it twice and I'm still not wholly sure what I thought of it. My fav is Simon Says but that's 'cause I liked the dynamics between Dakota and Simon heh So did the lady who sat beside me on the bus. I was reading the ebook version (makes about 5 times) this morning and she kept leaning over to read it, too. Before I got off the bus she asked for the author/title and promised to visit the library to request a copy :)

message 144: by Lara (new)

Lara | 109 comments Tosca,
I have read My Man Michael and did not care for it. Which is sad because I liked "Mallet" from the other books. I don't want to give anything away about the book. I'll just say it was completely different than the rest of the series. I didn't like the way she took it.
I liked Simon Says too. Unfortunately, I did not read the series in order. I read Hard To Handle first. So I already knew a lot about Simon and Dakota's story due to Harley's involvement.
I do that way too often. Find a book that looks interesting and read it only to find out it is part of a series (usually a middle book or last of the series). But that is why I joined Goodreads. To prevent that from happening. LOL!

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Annie, I never got to your pick for me, Scent of Shadows. I'm sorry. It did look good but for some reason I kept putting it aside for all the other books on my list this month and just never got to it. I'm going to keep it on my TBR list though.

message 146: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8842 comments Lara and Tosca,

I've listed Simon Says for my May challenge. Based on your comments, I'm excited to read my 2nd Lori Foster book. Thanks again for picking this series for me, Lara.

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Lori wrote: "Annie, I never got to your pick for me, Scent of Shadows. I'm sorry. It did look good but for some reason I kept putting it aside for all the other books on my list this month and just never got ..."

That's ok - hope you get around to it one day. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

message 148: by Lara (new)

Lara | 109 comments Yz,
I am super excited that you liked it and I think you will like the whole series. I was glad I introduced you to a series the way you introduced me to a series. I am going to be using 2 of SEP's books in next months challenge.

message 149: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8842 comments LOL..fair exchange would you say...I gave you a new series to read, and you returned the favor quite well...Have fun with the Chicago Stars hotties...they are just adorable..LOL

1 3 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Lover (other topics)
Back to the Bedroom (other topics)
Lonesome Dove (other topics)
The Red Tent (other topics)
Things Fall Apart (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janet Evanovich (other topics)
Nalini Singh (other topics)
Gena Showalter (other topics)