Jewish Book Carnival discussion

Abraham B. Yehoshua
This topic is about Abraham B. Yehoshua
A. B. Yehoshua

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halban (new)

Halban Publishers (halbanpublishers) | 5 comments A. B. Yehoshua's new novel 'The Retrospective' is being released TODAY by Halban Publishers and we'd be interested to hear from you about your experiences of his work.

What is your favourite Yehoshua novel?

Which is your least favourite?

Why do you enjoy Yehoshua's novels in general?

Are you excited about his new novel? Will you be buying it?

I hope to hear from you! - Charlotte, Halban Publishers

If you'd like to find out more about 'The Retrospective' you can read the blurb on our website http://www.halbanpublishers.com//

If you'd like to find out more about Halban, find us on Twitter @HalbanPublisher or like Halban Publishers on Facebook.

message 2: by Lorri (new)

Lorri (LorriM) | 13 comments I look forward to the U.S. release in March.

message 3: by Halban (new)

Halban Publishers (halbanpublishers) | 5 comments Great Lorri! Glad to hear it. Make sure to come back and let us know what you thought when you've read it.

Charlotte - Halban Publishers
@HalbanPublisher
http://www.halbanpublishers.com//

message 4: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments I have now 'liked' Halban Publishers on Facebook. Am I mistaken, or was it once known as Peter Halban Publishers?

message 5: by Halban (new)

Halban Publishers (halbanpublishers) | 5 comments David wrote: "I have now 'liked' Halban Publishers on Facebook. Am I mistaken, or was it once known as Peter Halban Publishers?"

Thanks for liking us! You're right, we changed the name some years ago.. and this is now our 26th year of publishing.

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 172 comments This is one of those cases where the author's statements have made me less likely to embrace his work. It may be a failing/weakness of mine--I confess that it's an emotional reaction--but I simply can't go out of my way to support an author who makes it a habit of insulting Diaspora Jews. (It's bad enough that I'm confronted with a never-ending stream of titles by anti-Israel authors in the buzz-heavy literary arena that I follow; I don't need this additional tsuris.) Maybe I'll "partially" read the book--if excerpts are posted online--but at this point, I can't imagine that I'll buy it. (For anyone needing background: http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/12468...)

message 7: by David (last edited Feb 19, 2013 01:48PM) (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Erika wrote: "I simply can't go out of my way to support an author who makes it a habit of insulting Diaspora Jews."

Erika, this is completely understandable. I couldn't open the link, though. What's the gist of the Tablet piece?

message 8: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 172 comments David wrote: Erika, this is completely understandable. I couldn't open the link, though. Wha..."

David, you can find it on the homepage of tabletmag.com. Post title: "A.B. Yehoshua Calls American Jews 'Partial Jews'." If it gets displaced by new news, go look through "The Scroll."

message 9: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Thanks, Erika.

message 10: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Erika, are you able to open the home page for tabletmag.com? I've been trying since yesterday without luck.

message 11: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 172 comments It's working for me.
David wrote: "Erika, are you able to open the home page for tabletmag.com? I've been trying since yesterday without luck."

message 12: by Elyse (last edited Feb 20, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

Elyse | 53 comments I was able to open the link. I read it --- I respect your opinion, Erika, (I get those emotional reactions many times), but I don't about this issue.

I've enjoyed this authors books. (period) --plus --as for what h says ---Its OK with me. Its ok with me that he feels the way he does. I don't personally feel attacked in my gut. This is one that is easy for me to roll off my shoulder....

but I understand your feeling, Erika. (cuz I sure can think of another author I have a 'very strong' reaction as to NOT to support)...and I think I'm a light-weight...(easy)....as I like most books and authors I read.

message 13: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Erika wrote: "It's working for me.
David wrote: "Erika, are you able to open the home page for tabletmag.com? I've been trying since yesterday without luck.""

Thanks. I'll try another computer.

message 14: by Erika (new)

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 172 comments Elyse wrote: "I was able to open the link. I read it --- I respect your opinion, Erika, (I get those emotional reactions many times), but I don't about this issue.

I've enjoyed this authors books. (period) --pl..."

I hear you Elyse. It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about--bigger fish to fry, so to speak. But I do find his comments upsetting. Every day, it seems, there's reason to say to someone or some group - don't we Jews have enough to deal with without attacking each other?

I think that there was something about the promotional nature of the o.p. that made me want to speak up about this. So many questions, to which I can only respond with one answer. (Which I now have!)

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Harris | 5 comments I think this new book looks very intriguing - I'd love to read it. I first discovered AB's books when I read and very much enjoyed 'The Lover' some 20 years ago. I also liked a lot his short story collection 'Continuing Silence of the Poet'.

message 16: by Elyse (new)

Elyse | 53 comments I can't help but think of the times I've attacked (in subtle ways) people I love most.

I've also been self-abusive --way too self critical of myself at times in my life (comes and goes) ---and I always suffer for it...

Damn, life can be a bitch sometimes.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (ImainLA) | 3 comments Regarding the trouble with the link:

The thing with Tablet is that it works great from Internet Explorer, but not so well with Google Chrome. So changing to another computer that uses Google Chrome won't work. Try to open the home page through Internet Explorer and see if that works.

I have to sympathize with Erika, as when American Jews spend so much time defending Israelis, it's rough to have them dis us here in the States.

I do sometimes read things by people I don't agree with. Like 50% of what's on Tablet. But there's a huge distinction between attacking a group of people and their opinion. That might be what's triggering Erika's reaction.

message 18: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments Rebecca wrote: "Regarding the trouble with the link:

The thing with Tablet is that it works great from Internet Explorer, but not so well with Google Chrome."

Thanks. Chrome can be very quirky.

message 19: by David (new)

David Weiner | 31 comments I've now read the piece. Looks as though Yehoshua's old refrain strikes many as simplistic and barely worthy of notice:

"By shrugging Yehoshua off, the audience called his bluff, and by doing so also called Israel's: Diaspora life can be just as inherently Jewish as life in Israel, sometimes even more so."

But we digress. :)

unread topics | mark unread