Purgatorio: A New Verse Translation Purgatorio discussion

Merwin's Purgatorio best translation

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CX (new) - rated it 3 stars

CX Dillhunt Good to have Musa's and Hollander/Hollander in hand for notes on history/politics, religion/theology, philosophy, and language, but WSM translation makes it readable, erotic, exciting, and believable without all the academic trappings & worries; great intro... CX Dillhunt

message 2: by Manetto (new) - added it

Manetto Unfortunately however, it doesn't sound anything like Dante's own Purgatorio.

Gary Patella I don't know if there is an English translation of Purgatorio that captures Dante's style. For Inferno, we have Pinsky. But we don't really have anyone for Purgatorio. Given the choices, Merwin's may be the best. However, this doesn't mean that it is true to Dante. Just the best of what is around. I have another translation that was harder to get through.

Manny Anyone try the new Anthony Ensolen translation? I'm going to give it a try next month.

Feliks i remain a firm fan of John Ciardi

James Keenley I recently read Anthony Esolen's new translation, and I found uniformly excellent. I don't speak Medieval Tuscan, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the translation, but the Esolen's verses are poetry of the highest order. And his introductions and canto end-notes are extremely helpful, without being overly explanatory. I highly recommend it.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Purgatorio: A New Verse Translation (other topics)