Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Help finding new series!!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Fonseca (Daddy_girl_ynk) | 89 comments Hey Guys,

I just finished reading Chicagoland Vampires, and I need something new to read. I want an adult paranormal romance where it follows the same couple through the series, i preferably enjoy vampires also.

Series I've read so far:
Night Huntress
Hush,Hush
Twilight
Mercy Thompson
Dark Swan
BDB
Dark Prince
Dorina Barab
LOTU
Vampire Academy
Dark Hunter
The Immortals
Sookie Stackhouse
Breeds
Fever

message 2: by Lisa Annesley (new)

Lisa Annesley (lisaannesley) | 120 comments If you want to follow the same couple throughout the series, then I think you want Urban Fantasy. However, you did list some PNR series that you've read (LOTU, Dark-Hunter, The Immortals.

You might be interested in:
Guild Hunter by Nalini Singh (A UF/PNR hybrid with angels and vamps)
Midnight Breed by Lara Adrian (Is this what you meant by Breeds?)
Scanguards Vampires by Tina Folsom (PNR, follows a group of vampires throughout each book)
Dark Protectors by Rebecca Zanetti (PNR, follows a family of vampires)
Mark of the Vampire by Laura Wright (PNR, follows a family of vampires)
For something light:
Love at Stake by Kerrelyn Sparks (PNR, follows a group of vampires)
Argeneau Vampires by Lynsay Sands (PNR, follows a family of vampires)
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian Samson's Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires, #1) by Tina Folsom Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Eternal Hunger (Mark of the Vampire, #1) by Laura Wright How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments Not all vampires, but I recommend...

Georgina Kincaid Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead
Rhiannon's Law Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (Rhiannon's Law, #1) by J.A. Saare
Charley Davidson First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
Alex Craft Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price
Riley Jenson Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur

message 4: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (goodwhm) | 27 comments You may want to try:
Dark ink chronicles
October Daye
Psy-Changeling

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleyjeffery) | 36 comments Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

My absolute favorite is Unholy Ghosts.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Hey Guys,

I just finished reading Chicagoland Vampires, and I need something new to read. I want an adult paranormal romance where it follows the same couple through the series, i preferably enjoy..."

I've been reading this cool new author, and I'm so hooked. Her series isn't the "norm", and that's what I really like about it. First off, instead of the "norm" Private Dic, Vamp hunter, or what have you, she has a bunch of jr. high school, high school, and college professors chasing the taboos of the night lol.

Her series contains vamps, wolves, warlocks, witches, shape-shifters, ninjas, Titans, Spartacus, Egyptian myths, Romanian legends, Japanese folklore, and Scottish myths, haha, just to name a few.

I swear, if you want something different from what's out there, you should totally try her. I know I sound like the spokesperson for her hahaha, but I am soo loving her stuff this much!

I'm on book 10, and so far I am really into the series, because you never know what'll happen next.

T.B.M.D Arieanna's Legend (#1) by Alexandria Infanté T.M.T.N; kissing cousins (#2) by Alexandria Infanté T.C.B.M; the Arvantes (#3) by Alexandria Infanté Dark Premonitions; the seeker (#4) by Alexandria Infanté A Kiss Between Midnight & Dawn; Sephoroth's Return (#5) by Alexandria Infanté Red Ryzin; Okuzo (#7) by Alexandria Infanté The Gargoyle Keeper; best mates forever (#6) by Alexandria Infanté Blackwind's Song (8) by Alexandria Infanté Cycles of Change; All Hell Breaking Loose (#9) by Alexandria Infanté Loose Connections; Making Choices (#10) by Alexandria Infanté Carousel; Legacy... (#11) by Alexandria Infanté

message 7: by -Ya (last edited Feb 12, 2013 09:20AM) (new)

-Ya (yareading) Laura wrote: "Hey Guys,

I just finished reading Chicagoland Vampires, and I need something new to read. I want an adult paranormal romance where it follows the same couple through the series, i preferably enjoy..."

You may consider
A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries
by Elizabeth Hunter. It has a Night Huntress feel to it.

message 8: by Sylvie (last edited Feb 12, 2013 10:00AM) (new)

Sylvie | 39 comments I highly recommend Vampires in America by D.B. Reynolds.
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America, #6) by D.B. Reynolds Betrayed A Cyn & Raphael Novella (Vampires in America, #5.5) by D.B. Reynolds Vampires in America The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.1) by D.B. Reynolds

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Fonseca (Daddy_girl_ynk) | 89 comments Thank you so much everyone for the feedback! I have deicided to start The Elemental Series, Guild Hunter, and Vampires in America as soon as I finish Beautiful Creatures!

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments i absolutely loved the guild hunter series :-)

message 11: by Ayalla (new)

Ayalla | 10 comments Hijacking this thread :)
I have been searching goodreads for to long now and not finding what I am looking for.
I am currently a bit picky, I am looking for a book/series that has:
- a well build world
- vampires
- hot males or male (one is enough)
- a story, a real story, should be as important or even more important than the lovestory
- good enough writing style, I am tired of reading fanfictions I had to paid for (not that fanfictions are always bad)

Has NOT:
- a female heroin that is super independent, knows everything better, red haired (nothing against red haired people, but they are always what I dont like in books), basically no TSTL females and not to damaged. I understand character need to have a history, but I start to feel bad reading about character that are so damaged that you want to hug them and punch the author
- if a series, should not have a repetative story in every single book.. lets take a male and female, they meet in a dangerous situation, love on first sight, but they don't think the other one feels the same, 300 pages later he has to rescue her and they notice that they fall for each other on page one. And this happens for 10 books and on 5-10 pages in each book there is an ongoing story, if you are lucky
- no high schools, I can't read books where the heroin is 16 and going to school

I think I am looking for something like Halfway to the Grave or Touch the Dark. But not like Guilty Pleasures.

I know I am picky.. but I really can't read these series in which happens always the same anymore :( and if I want to throw away my kindle because the main character is TSTL something if wrong.

message 12: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby Ayalla wrote: "Hijacking this thread :)
I have been searching goodreads for to long now and not finding what I am looking for.
- a well build w..."

I highly recommend Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series. It has everything you requested and more. I cant remember if Riley has red hair so I apologize for that in advance. It a 7 book series with a beginning and and ending to die for :))

Let me know what you think

message 13: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby Laura wrote: "Hey Guys,

Laura wrote: "Hey Guys,

I totally recommend Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian Series!

Oh and have you read the Alpha and Omega Series by Patricia Briggs?

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Ayalla wrote: "Hijacking this thread :)
- a well build w..."

I agree with the Riley Jensen rec, though she does have red hair. Then later on when that series ends a spin off based on that series comes alive. The Dark Angels Series, very good series so far. And she has blonde hair ;)

Jane True Series by Nicole Peeler is a good one, I think it has everything that you are looking for and Jane doesn't have red hair lol :)

*pats newly colored red hair wondering what is wrong with it*

message 15: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby Kristin wrote: "Ayalla wrote: "Hijacking this thread :)
-..."

i totally agree with you about the Risa story! cant wait for her new book :) i actually read her 2 book series mercy burns and destiny kills and they were really good too!

message 16: by Ayalla (new)

Ayalla | 10 comments Thank you so much!

And the red hair issue I have..
It is just.. I have the feeling in the last 1-2 years most PNR books that popped up had this super confident strong female characters with red hair. It seems that red hair is a symbol for something.
And look at the covers of soo many books. Red hair everywhere!
How many hot red haired do you know? Naturally I don't know any and if then there are more orange and pale and full with freckles.

I just don't like these typical situations in books where something bad happens and the 400 years old paranormal being is planing something and the 20 something years old female knows it better and gets herself nearly killed. It happens in every second book I read.
And I am not to fond of females that need to have the upperhand in every situation.

Hard to explain, sorry I am really not racist against red haired.

message 17: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Ayalla wrote: "Thank you so much!

It is just.. I have the feeling in the last 1-2 years most PNR books that popped up had this super confident strong female characters with red ha..."

I'm just joshing you :) I think authors have an obsession with coloring that is striking. Kind of like black hair and blue eyes (my coloring when I don't color my hair red lol)...I was starting to feel like that was in every freaking book I picked up.

I know what you mean though, I was having that problem with Lynsay Sands vampire series. I really enjoy that series and the characters are great but it's almost like it's the same book but different characters. Rinse & repeat.

Have you read any of the Blackdagger Brotherhood books by JR Ward? Or Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed Series? If you would stray a bit from the vampire genre Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld is a good series. Same with Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark Series (that has some vampires, shifters, demons...) and you get a wide variety of heroines.

Ava Delaney Series is a vampire series (I think her hair is brown but might be a red color lol) that I've enjoyed a lot. It has a good story with some romantic undertones by Claire Farrell.

message 18: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Carlybaby wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Ayalla wrote: "Hijacking this thread :)
I am currently a bit picky, I am looking for a book/se..."

I enjoyed that series too, is she continuing with that one at all have you heard?

I'm also planning on reading the 2 books, the Ripplecreek Wolves ones? I guess they are sisters? I'm a big fan of Keri Arthur.

message 19: by Ayalla (new)

Ayalla | 10 comments Kristin wrote: "Ayalla wrote: "Thank you so much!

It is just.. I have the feeling in the last 1-2 years most PNR books that popped up had this super confident strong female charact..."

I read Midnight Breed Series (some of it) and Blackdagger Brotherhood. Actually Midnight Breed killed these kinds of books for me. Really in every book you had the same pattern, exactly the same. Damaged vampire meets human female, falls in love, some when happy ending, next book again the same.
I understand that PNR is usually about two people finding to each other, but you can add some more variety to it, can't you? Okay guy A is damaged because of X and guy B is damaged because of Y, uhu...
And then you fall in love with that hot damaged vampire and you freaking don't see him again for 8 books and there he only got 2 sentences!

But then again you look at the Night Huntress series. Cat and Bones have sex on the first 100 pages, I can enjoy Bones for so many books and even though Cat is red haired in one book she accepts that she was stupid and that she should trust Bones and not know everything better. I want to hug Mrs Frost this and thank her over and over again.
And even in the Night Huntress World series the females are not dominant, they are badass but they don't show this stupid behavior others tend to.

Why is there not more like this? Maybe I simply should reread Night Huntress...

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

READ HARRY POTTER AND BEAUTIFUL CREATURES!!!!!!

message 21: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Ayalla wrote: "Kristin wrote: "Ayalla wrote: "Thank you so much!

It is just.. I have the feeling in the last 1-2 years most PNR books that popped up had this super confident stron..."

Have you read book 1 in Vlad's series? Jeaniene Frost really is a genius. What about Kerrelyn Sparks Love at Stake series?

that's why I like the Jane True Series and Ava Delaney Series so much. They are bad asses but they are learning and coming into it not right from the get go. There is learning going on there. Kind of like with the Night Huntress...learning as they go.

message 22: by Angel (new)

Angel (Bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments Tales of an extraordinary girl is an amazing series! Totally new way to go about things. I haven't read anything like it. Although it isn't about vampires you are hooked from the beginning. Please try it!!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Angel wrote: "Tales of an extraordinary girl is an amazing series! Totally new way to go about things. I haven't read anything like it. Although it isn't about vampires you are hooked from the beginning. Please ..."

Ok,I'll look into that. looks interesting

message 24: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (MissKris7198) | 74 comments Angel wrote: "Tales of an extraordinary girl is an amazing series! Totally new way to go about things. I haven't read anything like it. Although it isn't about vampires you are hooked from the beginning. Please ..."

The one by Gena Showalter? I've read both books, liked the 1st one MUCH better then the 2nd.

message 25: by Angel (new)

Angel (Bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments Yeah I agree but still good humming another one I liked was grey wolves... I think it's called it's about werewolves but the girls are down to earth and hilarious normally I'm not a teensy book reader but this series I loved so much I'm still hooked

message 26: by Angel (new)

Angel (Bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments The first one is prince of wolves

message 27: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby @kristin yeah I read the ripple creek 2 novels and they were good but the other 2 ones are about dragons and they are way better... Something about how she develops the romance really gets me... I love her writing

I also liked frost's vlad book! What I really liked is that it took more than one book for the romance to develop. Sometimes I get tired of the entire story happening in one book... That's why I really liked nailini singh's first 3 angel books. It was like a romance trilogy and then you get hooked on all the other characters!

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments i totally agree about nalini singh i feel totally emotionally invested in all her characters in the guild hunter series. she is an amazing writer.

message 29: by Angel (new)

Angel (Bluexeyedxangel) | 16 comments Omg have you read the psy-changeling series ??!! She is an amazing author :)

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments i read the first book but i felt i was juok.i need to re ad it again.#give it another go. :-)

message 31: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 437 comments The Psy-Changling series is definitely PNR. UF has somewhat different characteristics though sometimes there's an overlap. If you much prefer UF, that series is probably not for you.

message 32: by Emilicious (new)

Emilicious | 17 comments Hey i don't know if you've read the mythos accademy series by jennifer estep but its worth a look its paranormal fantasy i loved the authors writing and fell in love with the characters:)

message 33: by Katrina (new)

Katrina LaFond (klafondauthor) | 6 comments Two words--Christine Feehan....

message 34: by Annelise (new)

Annelise (Annye-Loise) Christine Feehan, Dark series. Excellent writting with good stories in each book, but a great storie going on behind the scenes. One book will never be enough.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Fonseca (Daddy_girl_ynk) | 89 comments So i finished book 3 in Guild Hunter to find out the next one isn't about Raphael and Elena?!

message 36: by Katie-marie (new)

Katie-marie | 2 comments I really love the Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter (Shadow Falls Series) by C.C. Hunter. Its a Young Adult Paranormal book, but the world she creates for it is so magical.

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire | 9 comments i know laura. i was so annoyed when i realised. although to be honest the wrestvof series is excellent. there is an elena/raeheal book out simetime this year :-)

message 38: by Debi (new)

Debi (debisattic) | 156 comments Katrina wrote: "Two words--Christine Feehan...."

I Thirst for You
I have not read any other Susan Sizemore books except for the Primes Vampire Series. Not sure about her other books but I enjoyed these.
Walk on the Wild Side
Christine Warren's series is a little more light hearted a fun read.

message 39: by O (new)

O (othereader) | 2 comments You should definetly read The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra.I just finished the fifth book and I'm looking forward to reading the last one.It's my favourite after The Hunger Games and before Twilight.

message 40: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tmycann) | 4 comments Laura wrote: "Hey Guys,

You should TOTALLY check out Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series--I think she's on the 10th or 11th with the one coming out next month. You might also like Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series (it's more steampunk, and she's doing a spinoff series too).

message 41: by Nicola (new)

Nicola McDonald | 4 comments There's a free book giveaway here for a new series...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

message 42: by Mel (new)

Mel King | 4 comments I recommend the night walker series by Jacqueline frank. Not all vamps but they are featured in most. Prob closer to urban fantasy though

message 43: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Sheppard (JLSheppard) Mel wrote: "I recommend the night walker series by Jacqueline frank. Not all vamps but they are featured in most. Prob closer to urban fantasy though"

I read those a couple of years ago. They are good! I wish she would continue to write more...

message 44: by Sherrod (new)

Sherrod Wall (Wallflower48) | 13 comments If you liked hush hush check out my profile and read my sample chapters. I wouldn't suggest it unless good feedback from people had warranted it. :) honestly I wrote my novel for people interested in the paranormal romance genre so it would be great to get some feedback from y'all.

message 45: by Valorie (last edited Apr 17, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Valorie G. | 2 comments I really enjoy the Benny Imura Serries, Rot & Ruin, Dust & Decay, Flesh & Bone and am going to download Fire & Ash. Don't let the covers fool you, the books are not so gory and the love story is believable, well if the world suffered a zombie plague!
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) by Jonathan Maberry Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) by Jonathan Maberry

message 46: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda @valerie. What gruesome titles! Love that! I'll check them out.

message 47: by Abby (new)

Abby | 4 comments I really like All The King's Men Series by Donya Lynne. The first book is Rise of the Fallen Which is free often on B&N and Kindle.

message 48: by Michelle Saunders (last edited Apr 23, 2013 09:03AM) (new)

Michelle Saunders (quill_n_ink) | 107 comments Two series come to mind that haven't been mentioned here: A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter and Dominion (Dominion, #1) by S.E. Lund. Love them both!

ETA: Oh, I see someone did suggest A Hidden Fire. Well, I second that!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Not sure if you have read D.B. Reynolds 'Vampires in America' so far there's 5 books starting with 'Raphael'. Not bad.

message 50: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (dez70301) | 2 comments The Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter is amazing!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Angels' Blood (other topics)
Kiss of Midnight (other topics)
Samson's Lovely Mortal (other topics)
Fated (other topics)
Eternal Hunger (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ellen Schreiber (other topics)