The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

The Book Thief Movie

Comments (showing 1-50 of 146) (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Carina Just seen this: http://www.empireonline.com/news/stor... and this: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news...

I honestly don't think this will translate well on screen - so not too sure what I personally think. What about other readers - should this book be adapted into a movie?

Tehanu I was just about to post this! XD
I agree with you. I'm usually all for book to movie adaptations, but when I found out that there was going to be a 'The Book Thief' one I didn't exactly rejoiced.
Now that we have the actors... I think Geoffrey Rush will play the part nicely. But Emily Watson as Rosa? I don't see it. AT ALL.
Besides, why did they get a French-Canadian actress to play Liesel. If it was about a funny accent they should have get a German actress like they did in The Reader.
I don't know. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong (I'd be happy to). But I just don't see this working. It'd get a very visual director to translate all the poetric imagery of the book, I believe.
And Death? They have to be very careful about its portrayal.

message 3: by Carina (last edited Feb 05, 2013 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carina Tehanu wrote: "I was just about to post this! XD
I agree with you. I'm usually all for book to movie adaptations, but when I found out that there was going to be a 'The Book Thief' one I didn't exactly rejoiced.
..."

I did reply to this yesterday but got Alice and then was busy!

I tend to like move adaptations because it will introduce the book to people who may not have read it before and if they then go on to read the book then I think thats great.

I honestly do not know how they are going to portray this on screen, some of the things will be very easy but anything where death is involved I think will be more difficult. If it had to be adapted I kind of fell that as an animation it might have more luck (think the tale of the Deathly Hallows style in HP 7 kind of thing) as I think you can portray things more easily with animation than you can live action (though it does, of course take a lot of work).

I have never not liked Geoffrey Rush so am glad he is in it... but not too sure with the others. I usually never mind who is cast (I have on occasion raised an eyebrow but to me as long as they are a good actor I don't mind).

I do hope we are both proven wrong and this turns out to be a great film, but I am thinking I may go in with the bar set low as it were.

EDIT: just re-read the Empire link and I can see that the director has worked on Downton Abbey - love that show but not too sure I can see it translating to this. I do not believe I have seen anything else of his work though so I won't judge until I have seen it.

Kill the Spare Oh My God the cast's PERFECT!! :) half the work's done right there..

Samantha While I love the idea of seeing The Book Thief on screen, it will fall short as movie adaptations always do. One of the greatest things about this novel is the unique style of writing and there is just no way to translate that to a movie. Still, the story is amazing and I will definitely be going to see it :-)

Ninian Tehanu wrote: "Besides, why did they get a French-Canadian actress to play Liesel. If it was about a funny accent they should have get a German actress..."

I had to laugh at this. Why would it matter what nationality the actress is? That's what acting IS - being someone you're not.

However, that being said, I do agree that I can't see how this book will translate well to a movie.

Ninian I've been thinking about this while my students work on their French assignment :) and I think it would work if Death is a narrator only. The stories are easily shown, they are just stories, and making death a narrator could work really well, rather than trying to do some silly cgi thing, n'est ce pas?

Carina Ninian wrote: "I've been thinking about this while my students work on their French assignment :) and I think it would work if Death is a narrator only. The stories are easily shown, they are just stories, and ma..."

I think it would work but how would they manage the scenes where death describes the colours... I think if they couldn't portray that I would be very disapointed in the adaptation.

Suha I don't know what to think of this. I have a feeling things will go terribly wrong- but maybe some fellow bookworm will supervise the project and stick to the book.

This shred of hope of mine is merely a muse. I don't expect it to actually happen.
The film industry (or rather, Hollywood as a whole) has made me this way.

Kieran The Book Thief is a long book and the longer the book the more detail is left out. This is my favourite book so I am happy that it is being made into a movie I just hope that the movie keeps true to the book, I - like some of the above - think this will be a hard thing to do on screen. I think because of the story though it has potential to be amazing!!

message 11: by Mary (last edited Feb 06, 2013 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Miiller The Book Thief is my all time favourite book and I think it will make a great movie if the director, screenwriter, etc do it right. Although they can usually never do that when they are making the movie adaption of a book (or it may just be me being picky). Anyways the cast so far looks okay, not who I would pick but they must have picked them for a reason. The one thing I am super afraid of is them doing a terrible job or just completely omitting the part of Death. Considering that was my favourite part of the book taking it out would completely ruin the movie for me. Still, I'm excited for it and am defiantly going to watch it as soon as possible.
PS It's coming out on January 17, 2014 apparently

Nicola-ingrid My only concern is how they will tackle the narrative structure of the novel. Will they keep it in the same format as the book or will they simply produce a story about a girl growing up in WW2 Germany?
That said, CGI can do a lot nowadays.

Carina Nicola-ingrid wrote: "My only concern is how they will tackle the narrative structure of the novel. Will they keep it in the same format as the book or will they simply produce a story about a girl growing up in WW2 Ger..."

I really hope they keep it in the book format, otherwise it will just be another movie set in WW2 Germany.

message 14: by Elly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elly Taylor Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this. No wonder Markus Zusak has been so delayed with his follow up book, I wonder if he's involved in the screen play? I hope it is as brilliant as the book is.

KimBear This is my all time favorite book! I don't know that I could watch the movie for fear of it ruining this beautiful story. :(

Carina Elly wrote: "Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this. No wonder Markus Zusak has been so delayed with his follow up book, I wonder if he's involved in the screen play? I hope it is as brilliant as the book..."

I just looked on IMDB and it lists Zusak under writing credits (story) so not too sure if that means he was involved in the screenplay or not.

Angel Castillo I think like all good book's movies, we would be disapointed. We always expect something better

Melissa When is the movie coming out???

Carina Melissa wrote: "When is the movie coming out???"

2014 at the moment, apparently January 2014 for the US. But it it still in pre-production atm so not sure if that won't change.

message 20: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel Wyrick This book is so well loved. I just hope they show it the respect it deserves when making those critical decisions about making the movie.

Sheary Carr This is a great book..... but I'm not sure it would make a good movie. Maybe they will surprise us all and it will be great.

Stephanie I loved the book, but really don't think it would make a good movie. I don't know though, they might be able to make a great movie out of it.

message 23: by Haydn (last edited Feb 25, 2013 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haydn Morris This book is one of my all time favourites and I think I will be very apprehensive when I first go see it. You know the feeling, characters imagined in your head don't always come across as imagined on the silver screen. As mentioned above Death must be a key player in the film as in the book to make it a winner, and the voice of Death needs to right. I have listened to the audio book aswell as read the book and I must say the voicing of the audio did do justice to the book. I think it was Jeremy Irons.
Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson will I'm sure be good in their parts. As for Sophie Nelisse, I have never seen her act so can't really comment.

Elizabeth I'm not sure about the cast. Rudy looks really young compared to lisesel. And max... Not sure if I like him. They start filming this month and I hope it will be good. To be honest this was a book that I didn't want to be made into a movie

Carina Elizabeth wrote: "I'm not sure about the cast. Rudy looks really young compared to lisesel. And max... Not sure if I like him. They start filming this month and I hope it will be good. To be honest this was a book t..."

Who have they got for Rudy? Just looked on IMDB and they have incredibly few people on there (though they have a gravedigger cast on there but no Rudy!!!)

I am trying to withold judgement on this either until I see it or until some pictures/trailers etcetera start coming out.

Elizabeth http://www.alicemarvels.com/archives/...

Technically we don't have a Rudy yet, but there's a boy who is the right age and looks, so people are assuming its Rudy. He's the last person on the page of the link I posted

Carina Elizabeth wrote: "http://www.alicemarvels.com/archives/...

Technically we don't have a Rudy yet, but there's a boy who is the right age and looks, so people are assuming its Rudy. He's the last person on the page..."

Thanks, he does look very very young - I almost thought he could be her brother who died.

Elizabeth That's a good point. I didn't think of that. I wish they would put up the whole cast on imdb. On the site it also list someone as Frau Becker... There is no such character in the book thief, right? I've read the book several times and can't remember that name

Carina It isn't ringing any bells with me but has been over a year since I read it.

I'll have to keep on checing IMDB, hopefully they will update it soon.

Michael LaRocca The Reaper's voice was a big part of that novel. The movie could still be interesting, but it won't be the same.

Natalie I don't think it will work well.... also, because the book starts out when liesel is 9 and ends when she is almost 14.... so either they are going to make the story take place over less time, or they are going to have to have a lot of girls playing liesel
i don't think it was translate as well and i think the movie will be less touching

Claudia I think that The girl who is playing Liesel fits the part well enough, on the other hand, the boy who is playing Max is nothing like how I envisioned him in the book at all. Same with Emily Watson. She's a tremedously talented actress but I can't picture her as Rosa.

Chisom O Honestly idk they should be aking a movie. The book was beautiful, but the prob is that everything was scattered in the book, so you can't ever say wat happened after this part. ANd im pretty sure that the movie will be anything like the book

Elyse FABULOUS BOOK!

Here is what the movie 'does' has going for it:
Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson (both excellent actors)

Catherine I love this book so much. To me, the only thing that matters is that they make the "Jesse Owens incident" worth watching. And the ending. The ending is really amazing.

Steven I still can't believe they are turning this into a movie.

message 37: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean I think it is a very good sign when book lovers (and book thieves) get wound up on hearing the news that one of their favorite books is going to be adapted to film. It calls to question why certain books mean so much to us. I've always thought that a good read appeals to the reader's imagination, invites our genuine intimacy, and welcomes those transcendent little details we add to the story. To read a book really does allow us to share in its creation. So when the INDUSTRY announces they have acquired rights to your baby, it is like the Death & Doom t-shirt kid with the seven syllable Hip Hop vocabulary wanting to date my thirteen-year-old daughter.

Elyse Great post Sean!

Ninian Sean wrote: "it is like the Death & Doom t-shirt kid with the seven syllable Hip Hop vocabulary wanting to date my thirteen-year-old daughter. "

Oh this made me laugh! You are so, so right! One of my all time favourite novels is Anne of Green Gables and I did NOT like the movies that were made in the 80s because they "got it wrong" according to how I pictured it!

I love seeing everyone's thoughts on this movie and now I have to keep checking to see who is playing which roles!

Pascale The power of this book is all about words, how the writer has create the atmosphere with description and the feelings we have when we read those. So, in my opinion, the movie is not gonna be as good as the book even if the cast looks great.

Sierra i don't know how this book will transfer over to a movie. This book is more something that you'd cuddle up with on a rainy day. i dont see myself loving this movie, but you never know until you try it.

message 42: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine dont think i ever want to see it made into a movie

Kressel Housman I think that ever since the Harry Potter phenomenon, Hollywood is doing adaptations much closer to the books they're based on. The BBC has been doing excellent adaptations for years. Finally, I think, the States are coming around. They don't dumb things down as much as they used to.

Jenna Burns Life of Pi was said to be unfilmable and yet...So, I hope The Book Thief will be just as successful. I loved the book and I think, if they did it well, the idea of Death as the narrator would be fascinating on screen. I loved Rush in The King's Speech- got no worries about him being in it!

Belinda My prediction, based on the actor who's playing Max - he becomes a love interest and gets Rudy's best lines about the kiss.

message 46: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ my all time FAVOURITE book... hope its good!!!!

Ivanesca I'm dying. I don't have enough tears left to watch it on big screen.

Callum Fernando Concerned about how the style of writing would be translated to film. I'd be happier if they just did their own thing with it. The Shining by Kubrick is amazing because he did his own thing. The book is just as good. Film is a totally different medium, and whenever it is used to merely translate a book to a visual form, we are undermining not only the book, but the art of film.

message 49: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Sean wrote: "I think it is a very good sign when book lovers (and book thieves) get wound up on hearing the news that one of their favorite books is going to be adapted to film. It calls to question why certain..."

I love this and couldn't agree more. That being said I really would prefer they not attempt to film this book. But then I don't have to go see it.

Hayley M I thought that Death's POV was perfect for the book, but on the big screen I'm not sure how it would transer very well. It's a very....artistic book, and I don't know if the movie could pull it off.

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Book Thief (other topics)
The Reader (other topics)