The Sword and Laser discussion

Memoirs Found in a Bathtub
This topic is about Memoirs Found in a Bathtub
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub $1.99 today

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathew (new) - added it

Mathew (dipree) | 36 comments If anyone is interested in it Memoirs Found in a Bathtub is in todays Kindle daily deals for $1.99, it was the pick in Nov 2008.

Mr. Noah Sturdevant (noahsturdevant) | 173 comments Thanks. I just bought it to see if I can outlast the Lem.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 1648 comments I saw that today and giggled.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Oooohhhhh Veronica will be so thrilled she will probably buy 2 copies. :)

message 5: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 916 comments Mod
I challenge you all to finish it and join me in its praising!

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2222 comments Imagine, if Tom had just chosen the The Cyberiad instead, we'd be talking about how awesome Lem is.

message 7: by Timothy (new) - added it

Timothy Pecoraro | 226 comments OK, Tom I've bought this completely on your say so. So if it's bad I need you to mail me $1.99.

No, just kidding... Can't wait to read it.

message 8: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 1648 comments Challenge accepted, Sir Tom!

message 9: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3413 comments If only the guy who did the "official" version of the Solaris audiobook would do the translation... That was my only book by Lem but I really liked it.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Knight | 2 comments Perhaps everyone has noticed already that the selection of Lem books on Audible has grown considerably. I wonder which translations they used.

Like Tom I can say fine things about The Cyberiad. I'd toss in the Ijon Tuchy stories too. Memoirs is good but I understand why some cant finish novels by Lem.

Mr. Noah Sturdevant (noahsturdevant) | 173 comments Tom wrote: "I challenge you all to finish it and join me in its praising!"

I took your challenge and just finished the book. I have to think that the bit at the beginning is what held some people back. It went on so long that I started to think of this as Prologue: the novel.

The actual book was...different. I can honestly say I have never been so well informed while not having a clue about what is going on.

As a thought experiment it was interesting, but I think I would need to be either insane or drunk to be on the same wavelength as the author. Worth a read, but now my head hurts.

message 12: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jlawrence | 897 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Imagine, if Tom had just chosen the The Cyberiad instead, we'd be talking about how awesome Lem is."

Yeah, The Cyberiad is probably the best starting-point for Lem - very fun, playful and straight-forward storytelling-wise.

I like these illustrations Google featured of a few of the bizarre machines built by the Cyberiad's competing robot protaganists.

And I agree the Ijon Tuchy stories also show is humorous side of Lem. Solaris is a must-read fascinating classic, too, but my favorites are Lem's humorous stuff.

Noah wrote: "The actual book was...different. I can honestly say I have never been so well informed while not having a clue about what is going on.

As a thought experiment it was interesting, but I think I would need to be either insane or drunk to be on the same wavelength as the author. Worth a read, but now my head hurts."

Yeah, Memoirs is Lem at his most abstract (of what I've read of his), a twisty mobius loop of meta-commentary on storytelling. Interesting stuff, glad I read it, but not my favorite of his, and not the easiest introduction.

O what would the dragon be named if we hadn't read Memoirs first??

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Memoirs Found in a Bathtub (other topics)
The Cyberiad (other topics)