The Sword and Laser discussion

Help with Some Popcorn Sci-fi

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 540 comments I love me some Sci-fi that is full of pitched space battles and laser fights. Something along the lines Of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica where colonial vipers are chasing down cylon Raiders or The Trench run in New Hope. I love Small groups infiltrating enemy bases in full on laser pistol battles, great geeky over-the-top action scenes.
Ive done my quota of Hard Sci-fi for a bit and just want some fun...any suggestions from the Sword and Laser Community? Pew pew :)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 540 comments P.S. Also love horror Sci-fi Ridley Scott's Alien and Prometheus is amazing to me so if you have anything like that to suggest TRUE Horror Sci-FI throw it to me please :)
Thanks again

message 3: by Brad T. (new)

Brad T. | 217 comments The Honor Harrington series might work for you starting with On Basilisk Station. if you really want to go back in time check out The Stainless Steel Rat. Lots of books in this series.

I started a series recently that I absolutely loved that started with Quarter Share.

message 4: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 90 comments The Serrano Legacy series by Elizabeth Moon (first one Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1) by Elizabeth Moon, or first omnibus Heris Serrano) has some great space battles & laser fights over the course of the series.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Collins | 75 comments Space Battles: Full Throttle Space Tales #6, part of a series of anthologies done by a small press in CO.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4615 comments Ian Douglas seems like that. I read Earth Strike, which has several space battles.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 192 comments How about some John Carter or perhaps Vorkorsigan novels?

message 8: by Mr. Noah (new)

Mr. Noah Sturdevant (noahsturdevant) | 173 comments The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green sounds perfect for you.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 540 comments Thanks guys :)

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments For a real comedic take on the military SF action hero, try Phule's Company.

message 11: by Trike (last edited Feb 05, 2013 08:47AM) (new)

message 12: by Trike (last edited Feb 05, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Trike | 1577 comments The Man-Kzin Wars books are about a popcorn-y as you get.

The Man-Kzin Wars by Larry Niven
The Man-Kzin Wars
I believe there are 13 books of short story collections in this series, along with Destiny's Forge, a novel.

It's not outer space, but the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson is genuine widescreen epic fun that starts off with World War II naval battles then goes to an alternate Earth where dinosaurs never went extinct... and the story manages to get bigger and bigger.

Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1) by Taylor Anderson
Into the Storm
Crusade
Maelstrom
Distant Thunders
Rising Tides
Firestorm
Iron Gray Sea

And of course the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi
Old Man's War
The Ghost Brigades
The Last Colony
Zoe's Tale
The Human Division (currently being serialized in ebook format)

message 13: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1421 comments You might like John Ringo. His books have action a plenty.

A Hymn Before Battle is troop based military SF (it's also available in eBook for free from Baen).
Live Free or Die is space opera style military SF.

Both of these are the first books in a series.

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4615 comments Live Free or Die was mostly Big Dumb Object construction I thought.

message 15: by Carlos (new)

Carlos | 1 comments Lensman?

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis | 5 comments Empire of man quartet by David Weber and John Ringo
Starts with March Upcountry March Upcountry
Has space battles, laser battles, hoards of 4 armed aliens with axes and pikes, Espionage, and more lol

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 540 comments Trike wrote: "The Man-Kzin Wars books are about a popcorn-y as you get.

The Man-Kzin Wars by Larry Niven
The Man-Kzin Wars
I believe there are 13 books of short story collections in this series, along with..."

HAve The Old mans war books (read first one)
Have The Destroyermen books but havent got there yet (picked them up at Borders going out of Busines sale)
I Heard The Man-Kzin books were pretty bad.
Never Heard of Sten

SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer) (SporadicReviews) | 326 comments I just finished Weird Space: The Devil's Nebula - that's leans towards the Horror Sci-Fi genre I'd think.

The Kassa Gambit is good, fun sci-fi.
The ABACUS Protocol was fun.

The Mecha Wars novels are really great popcorn sci-fi. Written by Brett Patton.

message 20: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 172 comments I would categorize superheroes as popcorn sci-fi. So for those who may be interested, I will plug my little book here which features, mechs, nanosuits, futuristic armies, and a kick ass superheroine.

The Silver Ninja by Wilmar Luna
The Silver Ninja

The website is the book title with a dot com at the end. Enjoy if you get a chance to check it out!

message 21: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1421 comments Travis wrote: "Empire of man quartet by David Weber and John Ringo
Starts with March Upcountry March Upcountry
Has space battles, laser battles, hoards of 4 armed aliens with axes and pikes, Espionage, and more lol"

Wow, Ringo and Weber.. the body count in those must be off the charts :)

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike | 1577 comments Paul wrote: "HAve The Old mans war books (read first one)
Have The Destroyermen books but havent got there yet (picked them up at Borders going out of Busines sale)
I Heard The Man-Kzin books were pretty bad.
Never Heard of Sten"

Like any long-running series, the quality of the man-Kzin stories goes up and down. The first couple Man-Kzin books are brilliant, especially the Dean Ing story in the first one. I recently read the 13th volume and it was a genuine return to form -- fun, funny and bloody, just the way Known Space should be.

The Sten series is quite fun. Cole and Bunch are (well, in Bunch's case, "was") ex-Vietnam vets who became screenwriters, so their writing is pretty lean and each book takes its inspiration from a classic film. Sten himself has a cool weapon, too: a knife that can cut through nearly everything that he keeps inside his forearm.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Barton | 2 comments Noah wrote: "The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green sounds perfect for you."

Very good series. Tons of action and fun characters. The Starfist series is pretty good military scifi also.

message 24: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1421 comments Trike wrote: "The Sten series is quite fun. Cole and Bunch are (well, in Bunch's case, "was") ex-Vietnam vets who became screenwriters, so their writing is pretty lean ..."

I know Bunch from some of his fantasy books. Most of those contain some explicit sex. As you are recommending them here I assume the Sten books do not?

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4615 comments *adds Bunch to his to-read list.*

message 26: by Trike (new)

Trike | 1577 comments AndrewP wrote: "Trike wrote: "The Sten series is quite fun. Cole and Bunch are (well, in Bunch's case, "was") ex-Vietnam vets who became screenwriters, so their writing is pretty lean ..."

I know Bunch from some of his fantasy books. Most of those contain some explicit sex. As you are recommending them here I assume the Sten books do not?"

There are a couple sex scenes, but my memory is insisting they are no more than PG-13, if that.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4615 comments Brad T. wrote: "I started a series recently that I absolutely loved that started with Quarter Share..."

Quarter Share doesn't have much popcorn, but it has the best coffee scene I've ever read.

message 28: by John (new)

John Nevets (Nevets) | 306 comments I don't think anyone has mentioned the "The Lost Fleet" series yet. It's big military, not small group, but it is full of action, fast reading, and about as popcorny as it gets. My only big annoyance with the series is that he rehashes a lot of what has gone on before in each new novel.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On Basilisk Station (other topics)
The Stainless Steel Rat (other topics)
Quarter Share (other topics)
Hunting Party (other topics)
Heris Serrano (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Simon R. Green (other topics)
John Ringo (other topics)
E.E. "Doc" Smith (other topics)