Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion

Would anyone use an Unforgivable curse?

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TotalWhovian TARDIS girl I wouldn't at all they are unforgivable maybe if I absolutely had to like life and death i would but only then would I.

Brooke No!
Well, maybe Imperius if I was in an emergency.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on the situation. If it was a life or death situation sure, its self defense. But no I would not randomly use the curses only I was being threatened and I had no other choice.

Sherry Baker Cruico... if I lost my cool might be tempting for certain lol

Micaela If it was a life or death situation I would but other than that NO

Sophie ^^^Same - only in life or death. Otherwise never.

message 8: by Godiva3 (last edited Feb 06, 2013 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Godiva3 Yes, if I had to, I would.

Ahmed Abd alaa Avada kedavra and Imperius may be/Cruciatus Curse Never

Sparrowlicious Assuming that this is a "what if" question that works only in a world in which magic is real:
No. Because there would be plenty of other spells for self-defence that won't result in taking a life. We're not talking guns here, gentlemen.

Sarah Obviously none of us 'would'. But for me the unforgivable curse stands for some of the choices we, as humans make in the complicated and restricted moments of our life. Some of these choices stay with us like a curse. The after effects loom over our heads for the rest of our lives; one of the things, we find nearly impossible to forgive. One of the hardest things to do in life is to be able to forgive your own self. The curse is 'unforgivable' showing the extent to which forgiveness remains out of reach. Some of us even end up being entirely consumed by the guilt/curse.

message 12: by Line (new) - rated it 5 stars

Line I could use one... If someone molested my nieces or something like that, I don't think I would give a seconds thought to using crucio or avada kedavra...

Naiya Line wrote: "I could use one... If someone molested my nieces or something like that, I don't think I would give a seconds thought to using crucio or avada kedavra..."

I'm just wondering, does that translate to real life?

Jessica Crone There are a few certain people I wouldn't feel too bad about using them on..... *evil laugh*

But not unless I really needed to.

message 15: by Line (new) - rated it 5 stars

Line Naiya wrote: "Line wrote: "I could use one... If someone molested my nieces or something like that, I don't think I would give a seconds thought to using crucio or avada kedavra..."

I'm just wondering, does tha..."

Yes... If anyone hurts my nieces, I'll hurt them...

message 16: by Naiya (last edited Mar 08, 2013 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Naiya Line wrote: "Yes... If anyone hurts my nieces, I'll hurt them... "

For me, there's a difference between wanting to hurt someone/hurting someone and the ability to load a gun, point it at them, and shoot. Or take a hot poker and spend an hour torturing someone with it.

I wouldn't know without ever being in the situation, but I think I'd struggle with that. Beat someone up, okay. But deliberate torture?

Of course, in the world of Harry Potter, there are plenty of non-unforgivable curse ways of doing as much (if not worse) damage. For example, the fact that any wizard can transform any other into an animal or object would have some pretty grim implications if it weren't a children's book.

Naiya Jessica wrote: "There are a few certain people I wouldn't feel too bad about using them on..... *evil laugh*

But not unless I really needed to."

In what kind of situation would you need to use those three curses, as opposed to any of the other spells you'd presumably have in your skillset if you were advanced enough to do the curses?

Sadie Yup, I would if someone deserves it.

Ruby I would MAYBE in as an act of self defense use Avada Kadavra if I was going to die. If someone was going to kill a family member of friend I would definately use Avada Kadavra BEFORE they did......
NEVER Cruciatus Curse because it wouldn't be fair to Neville or anyone else who has experienced it in Harry Potter. I don't like the idea of the Imperius curse so I don't think I would. Then, again if Harry Potter did then so could I!! teehee :)
(I love these sorts of conversations! Thanks guys xxx)

Jessica Crone Naiya wrote: "Jessica wrote: "There are a few certain people I wouldn't feel too bad about using them on..... *evil laugh*

But not unless I really needed to."

In what kind of situation would you need to use th..."

I don't know... kidnapping? If i needed to sneak up on some guards to escape somewhere?

message 21: by Star (new) - rated it 5 stars

Star Fouse Sorry to say but I would probably abuse the hell out of Avada Kadavra and Crucio when im PMSing and Imperio when im just bored and need a little entertainment. Hey, at least im honest about it though!

message 22: by Line (new) - rated it 5 stars

Line Naiya wrote: "Line wrote: "Yes... If anyone hurts my nieces, I'll hurt them... "

For me, there's a difference between wanting to hurt someone/hurting someone and the ability to load a gun, point it at them, and..."

I totally get what you are saying, and if I wasn't complete out of my mind with anger / grief, I propably wouldn't use the unforgiveable curses either...
But in a situation with children in danger, I don't think my mind would be able to think before I acted...

Now, if it were a situation, where it wsn't a child being the victim, I couldn't use the unforgiveable curses, but would, as you say, use one of the many others...

Naiya Line wrote: "I wasn't complete out of my mind with anger / grief, I propably wouldn't use the unforgiveable curses either...."

I guess what bothers me is that the default seems to be a killing curse. Okay, so you're out of your mind with anger and fury and you revert not to disarming the offending person. Not to blasting him across the room. Not to throwing fire at him. But instead, the instinct is to go straight to killing or torture.

I don't know, maybe if I had that power, maybe I'd do that too. After all, all I need to do is look at gun violence statistic to see that it happens every day.

A lot of people above are saying they wouldn't really use the curse unless they "needed" to, and that's the bit I struggle with. When do you, as an individual (I'm not talking military, police, etc) need to murder?

Having magic means you can literally teleport away or do a variety of other things to them from across the room with no more risk to yourself.

message 24: by Line (new) - rated it 5 stars

Line Naiya wrote: "Line wrote: "I wasn't complete out of my mind with anger / grief, I propably wouldn't use the unforgiveable curses either...."

I guess what bothers me is that the default seems to be a killing cur..."

And totally, wholeheartedly agree with you, if there isn't children involved...

If there were children involved, I just think i would see red (does that make sense in english?)
I really don't think, I would be able to do anything else, then rely on my instincts, in such a situation... And unfortunately, I think my instinct would be massive anger, resulting in killing or torture...

Ofcourse, if I were a witch (would be cool), and if I ever saw someone hurting / molesting children (one of my worst nightmares), I would hope that I would do something different then killing / torturing, but I seriously doubt it, unfortunately...

message 25: by georgia (last edited Apr 01, 2013 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

georgia I would never ever ever use the Cruciatus, but if it was a life or death situation, then I'd use the Imperius or Avada Kadavra.

message 26: by Ciara (last edited Mar 28, 2013 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciara Definitely not. If I was in a life or death situation, I could possibly use the Imperius Curse to make my attacker leave me alone. That said, I would never use the Cruciatus or Killing Curses.

message 27: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I don't think I could ever do any of them. The Imperius Curse isn't any better. It's unforgivable for a reason. Having someone take over your body and take away your control and your ability to choose for yourself can be just as damaging, if not more, as the Cruciatus Curse or other forms of torture. I think if you are a Wizard and have the ability to perform magic that powerful then you also have the responsibility to learn to control yourself regardless of the situation.

Raine Of course not...maybe.

message 29: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali I never understood the reason why the Imperius Curse was so bad. I mean, there are other magic spells that are worse, so I would feel okay using it in times of emergency.

Taygus might as well ask, if you would ever "kill someone=avada kadevera", "torture them=crusciatus" or "manipulate them=Imperius".

Most people given the chance will manipulate others if it gives them "more", a better life, better job, anything they want or need.

Just think about the way you word things in an interview and how you sell yourself to make you better than anyone else they could employ.

Chacy I would only use the Imperius curse. It's really convenient and useful at times.

Katie All of them all the time ;)

Destiny Depending on who is lucky enough to piss me off that bad.

Rainy-Roo I like to think the occasion would never arise.

Mikela In a life or death situation, I would use the Imperius Curse. I wouldn't use the Cruciatus or Killing Curse.

Katie Pierce Erin wrote: "I don't think I could ever do any of them. The Imperius Curse isn't any better. It's unforgivable for a reason. Having someone take over your body and take away your control and your ability to ..."

At first I was kind of thinking like most of the other people here, that I wouldn't use the Cruciatus or Avada Kedavra but maybe I'd use Imperio in a bind, but you made a very good point. When you talk about taking control of someone's body it makes me think of rape, and in a way, Imperio goes beyond that in that it takes control of their mind as well. It really is pretty horrible when you think of it that way. I was actually really shocked when JK had Harry use both Imperio and Crucio at different points in the last book. I didn't think he would ever actually go there.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (other topics)