Audiobooks discussion

707 views
Technical stuff > Audible App

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »

Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Hey all you Audible/iPhone users, do you use the Audible App or just listen to books through your iTunes or use something else?

I have the Audible App but I never use it now. I listened to a handful of books with it and then gave up, mostly because I kept losing my spot.

I might like to give it a go again - but not if it's not better than iTunes in some way...

Cheers!


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Kimberly wrote: "Hey all you Audible/iPhone users, do you use the Audible App or just listen to books through your iTunes or use something else?

I have the Audible App but I never use it now. I listened to a hand..."


A while back, Apple edited their iphone software such that I could no longer listen to my Audible books through iTunes. The Audible app has been a lifesaver for me. I also find it superior to itunes in that it lets you rewind books for a specified length of time, it allows you to see how many hours you have to go, it allows you to easily jump to the chapter you want, and your whole library is readily available to download. I was REALLY UPSET with Apple and REALLY grateful to Audible. It's the best app I have.


Leslie | 348 comments I just listen to my Audible books through iTunes on my iPod Touch - I haven't experienced the problem Sandra mentioned above. I haven't had any difficulties & I can jump to the chapter I want. I can't rewind for a specific length of time - either I have to rewind in 30 second chunks or use the scrollbar to estimate where I want to be and then hunt.


Laura (apenandzen) | 105 comments I listen on the iPad using the Audible app and love it for the reasons mentioned. It's the same app the iPhone uses.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments I much prefer the Audible app to itunes (which I hate with a passion).


Nicole (nike13) | 10 comments iTunes doesn't always like my computer so I use the Audible app on my iPhone instead. I haven't had any issues with the app losing my place.

The only thing I would want changed with the app is to mark books as read so my list of books won't be as long when I go looking for my next read.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments Itunes never likes my computer! hahaha


Laura (apenandzen) | 105 comments I don't like iTunes at all but I don't understand it. Every time I try = failure. My hub & daughter do fine w/it.


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Using audible app now. : )

I'll see how I go.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the guidance.


Kat  Hooper (kathooper) | 28 comments Nicole wrote: "The only thing I would want changed with the app is to mark books as read so my list of books won't be as long when I go looking for my next read."

Nicole, let Audible know. I have also requested this feature. The more customers who ask, the more likely they are to get it done.


Kristie | 1706 comments The main way I listen to audiobooks is in my car. I use my iPod Nano because I can't get the Audible app to play through my car's sound system. (I have a Ford with Sync, and my car is too old to be compatible with the Audible app.) My Nano hooks up through the USB and plays through the speakers. If I could get the app to work in my car, I'd probably just switch over to the app, since I always have my phone with me anyway.

iTunes is a pain, but I never have a problem with getting Audible books to work on it.


Dani (danooli) I use the Audible app on my android device...I love the app!


message 13: by Sandra (last edited Feb 03, 2013 07:35AM) (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Well, Audible worked fine on my iphone with itunes until they updated their software. And they CHANGED IT! I was so mad I almost threw my iphone against the wall. Thank god for the App. Because I listen to books all the time.


Maureen (maureenbranham) | 74 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Well, Audible worked fine on my iphone with itunes until they updated their software. And they CHANGED IT! I was so mad I almost threw my iphone against the wall. Thank god for the App. Because..."

Is this with the latest iphone update they released this past week? After my daughter had a disastrous update (lost all of her contacts) I usually wait a bit before updating to make sure there are no bugs. I use the audible app but don't want to have any issues.


Kristie | 1706 comments I'm not a fan of the iTunes update. I didn't think it was possible to make iTunes less intuitive, but they proved me wrong.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm not a fan of the iTunes update. I didn't think it was possible to make iTunes less intuitive, but they proved me wrong."

Amen. I am NOT happy with the podcast change at all. I liked when my podcasts showed up in my music and I didn't have to waste more memory with an additional app for them. I also have an ipod touch NOT iphone so I dislike the additional iphone adds like "do not disturb" -- when would I ever need that with an ipod??? Boo Apple! Boo!


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Maureen wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Well, Audible worked fine on my iphone with itunes until they updated their software. And they CHANGED IT! I was so mad I almost threw my iphone against the wall. Thank g..."

Oh gosh, it's been quite a while since they did that to us. I'd just say don't allow it to update your ipod software. I wish I could go back to the previous software version on my iphone. I'm sure they did it because they want people to buy audio books from them, but I'm digging in my heels.

Oh, and Kristie, I HATE the itunes update. It crashes my computer all the time. #$%^&*!


Elizabeth | 1 comments I recently moved up in the iPhone world and acquired a 4g iPhone. I find that the Audible app works extremely well (much better than iTunes) AND it allows me to access the three Audible accounts I have very easily which was something I could never do with iTunes. Regarding iPhone software, I have learned the hard way to be very cautious of downloading updates.


Margaret | 229 comments These comments reinforce John's earlier complaint about an iTunes update. On his advice I have refused all iTunes updates. So far everything still works perfectly.


Leslie | 348 comments Margaret wrote: "These comments reinforce John's earlier complaint about an iTunes update. On his advice I have refused all iTunes updates. So far everything still works perfectly."

I guess that's what I will do as well...


Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments I wish I could go back in time and not update my ipod. :(


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "I wish I could go back in time and not update my ipod. :("

Yeah, me too. :(


Carol | 75 comments I use my Audible app on my iphone most of the time. I have a speaker and headphones for use at home and the gym. But in my 15 year old Toyota 4Runner, I have one of those units that slide into the tape (yes, tape!) player and into the headphone jack on my iphone which makes it come through the car speakers. Old tech, but it still works fine on road trips.
If I've got the iphone navigation on, it talks over the audiobook, so I sometimes need to do the 30 second rewind.


Lori (twizzle777) | 217 comments Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "I wish I could go back in time and not update my ipod. :("

Are you talking about the iTunes update or the one for the phone. I went back to an older iTunes version. Hated the version 11


Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments Lori wrote: "Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "I wish I could go back in time and not update my ipod. :("

Are you talking about the iTunes update or the one for the phone. I went back to an older iTunes version. ..."


The actual ipod update not itunes. I also do not like the new itunes but it actually seems an improvement (which isn't saying much). Why is it so non-user friendly?? I have used WMP for years and it is always super easy and now I also use Zune for my phone and find it just as easy as WMP.


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Lori wrote: "Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "I wish I could go back in time and not update my ipod. :("

Are you talking about the iTunes update or the one for the phone. I went back to an older iTunes version. ..."


How did you go back to an older version?


Lori (twizzle777) | 217 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "how did you go back"
I typed "I hate iTunes 11" into Google. One of the very first entries explained how to go back. I really hated the update.



Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1450 comments Hahaha flipping iTunes!!


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Lori wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "how did you go back"
I typed "I hate iTunes 11" into Google. One of the very first entries explained how to go back. I really hated the update."


Aha! Thanks! Isn't Google wonderful?


Georgia | 11 comments Lori wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "how did you go back"
I typed "I hate iTunes 11" into Google. One of the very first entries explained how to go back. I really hated the update."


You were able to change to the prior iTunes version on your iTunes??
I hate the current iTunes update it's totally useless so non-user friendly
I can't expressive my disdain for 11 - I have all of my audiobooks in iTunes & listen on my iPod classic. I'll google it hopefully it's not highly technical
Thanks!


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Soooo. I updated the Audible App yesterday. I think it's good but I'm not sure yet if its better than the old one, having only used it a short while. I was lured by the promise that we'd be able to search books by "unfinished". The problem is, I can't bloody figure out how to mark a book finished..... Sigh.

Anyone?

Also, what are your thoughts on the "new, improved" app?

Cheers.


Carol | 75 comments Some books that I've finished are marked as partly finished. I would also like to know how to mark them finished.
The other thing I wondered about is the speed of reading adjustment. I was listening to a book at 1.5x speed before the update. The 1.5x setting seems a bit faster on the updated app for the same book/narrator. Has anyone noticed this?
I like that the books not yet downloaded are grayed out, and I like the "finished" marking if I can get it to mark my books as completely finished. The rest of the app is great. Larger buttons while reading makes it easier to see when I'm outside in brighter light.


Tomerobber | 206 comments Yea!! . . . love the new app . . . it takes advantage of the whole screen on my iPads . . . love the new look. Have you checked out the user guide? I haven't had time to check out all the features yet . . but so far I'm impressed. Way to go Audible and all their designers and programmers!!


Audible.com (Audible_com) | 185 comments Kimberly wrote: "Soooo. I updated the Audible App yesterday. I think it's good but I'm not sure yet if its better than the old one, having only used it a short while. I was lured by the promise that we'd be able to..."

Hey Kimberly,

In order to mark a book as finished, first start playing the book and on the upper right hand corner of the screen, it gives you a gray button with an "i" in it. Press that button and it will show the product detail page, which has the "finished" button.


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Audible.com wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Soooo. I updated the Audible App yesterday. I think it's good but I'm not sure yet if its better than the old one, having only used it a short while. I was lured by the promise tha..."

Thanks Audible!

One question, does that mean I have to download the book in order to mark it finished?


Missy | 4 comments Love the look of the updated app. I hope it is as good as it looks.


Audible.com (Audible_com) | 185 comments Kimberly wrote: "Audible.com wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Soooo. I updated the Audible App yesterday. I think it's good but I'm not sure yet if its better than the old one, having only used it a short while. I was lure..."

Yes, at this time, you will need to download the book in order to mark it as finished.


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Audible.com wrote: "Yes, at this time, you will need to download the book in order to mark it as finished. "


I don't mean to be a pest. I'm a huge Audible.com fan and often sing your praises to anyone who will listen...

But, is there any way to fix this in the next update? I am not keen to use up all of my downloading capacity just to mark a book finished.

I am super excited about being able to look at only unfinished books - but this method of marking books is too tedious.

Perhaps, there could be a way to mark books as finished on the website and that would translate over to the app?

Thank you so much for your attention.


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Kimberly wrote: "Audible.com wrote: "Yes, at this time, you will need to download the book in order to mark it as finished. "


I don't mean to be a pest. I'm a huge Audible.com fan and often sing your praises to ..."


When my phone gets full I just delete the app and then download it again. Voila! All my space is freed up! I have no idea how many Audible books I have but it must be thousands by now. No way could I download them all!


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "When my phone gets full I just delete the app and then download it again. Voila! All my space is freed up! I have no idea how many Audible books I have but it must be thousands by now. No way could I download them all! "

Hey Sandra/Sleo -

Do you know that if you swipe across a book (from the right to the left), you can delete it directly from the app after you've listened to it?

I should say, that's how it worked in the old app...


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Kimberly wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "When my phone gets full I just delete the app and then download it again. Voila! All my space is freed up! I have no idea how many Audible books I have but it must be thousa..."

No, I did not know that!


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments It used to put it back into the "not downloaded" list so you could free up space on your phone.

I can't say with certainty that the same thing will work in the new app but it probably does.

: )


Sue | 59 comments I also noticed the 1.5 speed is faster. When I first continued my book, I noticed tat the speed said, 1.25. I updated it to 1.5 and it is much too fast, but I can't lower it back to 1.25.


Missy | 4 comments Anyone who wants to mark their already finished books needs to let it download a little and then hit the finished button and delete. No need to wait til the whole book is downloaded.


Sandra  (Sleo) | 592 comments Kimberly wrote: "It used to put it back into the "not downloaded" list so you could free up space on your phone.

I can't say with certainty that the same thing will work in the new app but it probably does.

: )"

It DOES work! That's really cool! So far I really like the new app, although the 'finished' thing didn't work in all cases. But it's much easier to fast forward in this one.


Audible.com (Audible_com) | 185 comments Nicole wrote: "iTunes doesn't always like my computer so I use the Audible app on my iPhone instead. I haven't had any issues with the app losing my place.

The only thing I would want changed with the app is to..."


Hey Nicole! With the new iPhone app 2.0, you can now mark your book as "finished"!


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Dearest Audible -

From within the new Audible App, I have been diligently downloading the first few MB of a book so I can start to listen to it in order to mark it finished.

It's a tedious process to be sure. Especially since, for books with multiple parts (of which I have many), a person must download the first few MB of each part of the book and then individually mark each part of the book as finished.

Sigh...

I don't know if collecting badges is a thing of pride - but I have received multiple levels of the badge granted for being indecisive as I download and listen to a few seconds of each of my books.

I'm not sure this process is worth the end result. I'm fairly determined and am likely to carry on with it but I reckon there ought to be a better way...

Overall, the App is improved but this thing about having to scroll through my entire library was something I hoped would be remedied, less incommodiously.


Kat  Hooper (kathooper) | 28 comments Kimberly wrote: "Dearest Audible -

From within the new Audible App, I have been diligently downloading the first few MB of a book so I can start to listen to it in order to mark it finished.

It's a tedious pro..."


Yes, I am in agreement with Kimberly. I love that I can see a list of unfinished books, but I have hundreds of books with multiple parts to download and mark finished. Very time-consuming. There should be a better way.


Joel (joeleoj) | 214 comments the android app lets you marka book as finished without downloading it, but it is rather arbitrary since you can't sort by showing only unread books.


Kimberly (Poweki) | 136 comments Hello again Audible -

In the "new" Audible App, my monthly stats are all wrong. It is March 2013 and yet my monthly stats show for the months of April through August (assuming 2012) and I don't even think they are right. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, yesterday, after a lengthy session of downloading a few MB of each multiple part of many many books in order to mark them "finished", one of the parts of the book I am currently listening to starting reporting errors. I shut the App down, I turned off my phone and then the part appeared as if it needed to be re-downloaded. I tried about 6 times to download it and each time, I received an error message. Eventually, I had to delete the part and re-download it and then slowly slowly find my spot again.

This new App is doing my head in...


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread