Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
This topic is about Naked in Death
In Death > Naked in Death Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 236) (236 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 659 comments Mod
This is our OFFICIAL thread for discussing Naked in Death, our Main pick for Feb!

Ashley | 3 comments Love this series! So glad for an "excuse" to reread these!

Lindsay | 17 comments I was wanting to reread this series before rating it here. So happy to have an reason to kick my butt into actually doing it. Love these books!

message 4: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 168 comments I'm like Felicia, when I started reading these I read like 10 in a week. That was maybe five years ago and I still read 'em RIGHT AWAY!!

The latest, Calculated in Death, is due out the very day of the hangout!

WHEEEE!!

message 5: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (Mkrhodes84) | 37 comments Ashley wrote: "Love this series! So glad for an "excuse" to reread these!"

Me too!

message 6: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 659 comments Mod
Serendi wrote: "I'm like Felicia, when I started reading these I read like 10 in a week. That was maybe five years ago and I still read 'em RIGHT AWAY!!

The latest, Calculated in Death, is due out the very day o..."

Oh what great timing!!!

Marissa J | 6 comments Yay! This book is another one that's in the Air Force Digital Library. As soon as you announce the pick I dash over to the site to see if it's available and put in on hold because the wait list will grow. You have a bunch of military and military spouse fans.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 9 comments Love this series! So excited you guys picked it!

Samantha (samanthadelayed) | 20 comments I have already read the first two books so this is a good excuse to finally pick up book three! :D

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. (Samatwitch) | 108 comments Joia wrote: "Read a bunch of reviews: several of them tag "child abuse", but don't mention it in the review itself.

Could someone please clarify whether or not there are depictions of child abuse in this book ..."

(view spoiler)

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. (Samatwitch) | 108 comments I must go back and re-read this one now. I have the newest one on hold at the library when it comes out.

Becca (Chewbecca) | 78 comments I just started. So far it's ok. I'm optimistic it will get better.

message 13: by Christine (last edited Jan 29, 2013 11:43PM) (new)

Christine (AnimeCanuck) | 407 comments Okay, so I noticed the series takes place in 2058. In the description for the second book, it even sounds a bit like the world of Minority Report.

Is the book actually Sci-Fi, or is it really more just a murder-mystery crime&romance novel, set 20 minutes into the future?

If it's leaning more towards the latter, my whole being is just going "Ughhh.." ...I don't know if I can do it, you know?

Can anyone who's read at least one of them shed some light on how Sci-Fi you feel it is, or if it basically isn't? Thanks. :D

message 14: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 168 comments The sci fi is basically corny. Cars can go airborne, people eat from autochefs, there are lots of droids to do menial or specialized tasks. Occasionally it matters to the plot.

message 15: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments I'd never even heard of the series until now, had to opt for the audiobook this month though as It's probably the only way I'll get through it. Not sure I like the actor, I'm hoping It won't ruin the book.

message 16: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (Wildflowerz) | 37 comments Technically SF, but it's really just a mystery with a little SF and some sex thrown in. The books aren't bad, but they get REALLY formulaic after a while...though I'm willing to concede that it might be mostly because I read a lot of them right in a row. :)

Jocelyn (Jocelyn73c) | 16 comments I've been absent from VF for a few months, but this looks like the perfect book for me to jump back in! I love mystery/crime as well as scifi, so this is absolutely right up my alley. I'm just shocked I haven't heard/gotten into this series earlier!!

Andrea (Dodgergirl99) | 37 comments I've wanted to read this series for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm so excited to have a reason to jump in!

Malin (MalinE) | 39 comments I love these books, and must admit that the sci-fi aspects are extremely minor. I have one friend who loves romance, but is not a huge fan of mystery or sci-fi, and she loves these, as does another of my friend who normally sniffs at romance, but loves mysteries. So because of the blend of romance and mystery, they seem to appeal to a very broad range of people.

I tend to read 3-4 of these about twice a year, because if I read to many, I get bored. But they're absolutely wonderful light entertainment, and I adore the ongoing story of Eve and Roarke and the various supporting characters. Like in all the best books, I get invested in their lives, and upset when bad things happen to them, and delighted when good things.

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) | 33 comments Yay!I have been dying to start reading this series.Its been on my to-read list for awhile.As have most of the book clubs picks so double yay!

message 21: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 58 comments goodreads has been recommending the first book for a long time now, so I'm excited to read this!

message 22: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (JoiseyDani) | 31 comments This kind of book doesn't usually grab me but I am looking to read something new and out of my comfort zone so off to Amazon Kindle land I go.

Christina (daria1275) | 173 comments So excited to be rereading these!!! I read them years ago while still in my college days. It will be nice to revisit.

message 24: by Dustylenz (new)

Dustylenz | 3 comments Just finished the book. It reminds me a lot of Fifty Shades, because the main girl character just falls in love with the guy at first sight, but won't let herself fall in love. I personally loved Eve; she's a strong independent character who's a smart aleck, but has a good heart, so to speak. She's had a rough, suppressed past, and that really haunts her during this entire book. Psychologically, I think that facing her demons is on of the best conflicts in the book, because it's her biggest roadblock to both solving the cases and loving Roarke.

For the Fifty Shades comparisons, I believe that there are a lot of them (don't know if this is a cliche of the genre or not), but Roarke is Christian Grey sans S&M. He's rich, suave and extremely smart. His past is a very sad one, and one he's had to spend a lot of effort to overcome. He's a rich man, due to his own smarts, and he has a refined and fastidious taste. Grey and Roarke have a common passion for high quality stuff, especially food.

I thought the sex scene was pretty good, but I wasn't sure how to feel about how rape-y it is. Eve definitely wasn't into the idea of giving up control, and I wasn't sure forcing her to give up control was the best way for Roarke to have sex with her. The sex itself was well written, but I couldn't quite shake the air of unease I had to the prelude to the sex. Maybe if Roarke could have explained more of what he wanted to do, maybe seduce her into sex?

The issue I had with the book was the incestuous rape. I haven't read too many romance novels, but that stuff was kinda hard to stomach for me, especially underaged incestuous rape. I suppose the book wouldn't have been the same without it, but I really don't enjoy reading about stuff like that.

To finally end this wall of text, I thought it was a very fun read (a good foray into the romance genre), and also a quick read. The book moved along fairly quickly without too many pauses, and the sex scene was well written. I'm excited to read the next in the series to see how Eve and Roarke's relationship develops, and to see more of Eve being an ass-kicking cop.

Ender Wiggin (EnderWigginOut) | 137 comments I accidentally put the audio version of this on hold at my library, rather than the book! So, I suppose I shall listen to this book while playing WOW.*

*If you play WOW, you should join the new Horde VF Hangout guild on Zangarmarsh. Details on the WOW thread.

message 26: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy (ivy99) | 40 comments Ender wrote: "I accidentally put the audio version of this on hold at my library, rather than the book! So, I suppose I shall listen to this book while playing WOW.*

*If you play WOW, you should join the new H..."

The audiobooks for the "In Death" series are totes the best. You'll definitely enjoy it.

message 27: by Ender (last edited Jan 31, 2013 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ender Wiggin (EnderWigginOut) | 137 comments Ivy wrote: The audiobooks for the "In Death" series are totes the best. You'll definitely enjoy it.

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I've never listened to an audio book before, so I don't have anything to compare it to! :) I doubt I'll do it again though. I've learned now that I have no attention span when I'm listening to books (or maybe it's because I'm paying more attention to WOW than the book).

The senator's outrageous Virginian accent makes me laugh though. I know the actress is doing it to differentiate between the characters (right?), but the only people who talk with such a broad accent are old folks. If this is in the future, I suspect that such extreme accents would have faded away.

Speaking of accents, her partner's (Fenny?) accent reminds me of Adian Quinn from Elementary (and I'm totally picturing him in that role).

message 28: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (Wildflowerz) | 37 comments Joia wrote: "C.G. wrote: "Joia wrote: "Read a bunch of reviews: several of them tag "child abuse", but don't mention it in the review itself.

Could someone please clarify whether or not there are depictions of..."

Since no one else has answered...I can't remember specifically about this book, but there are many depictions of child abuse through most of this series. I don't want to spoil anyone, so I won't elaborate, but it's a lot and it's in most of the books.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 52 comments I listened to this in audiobook and really enjoyed it. I have the second book in my queue.

message 30: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 28 comments I've noticed comments mentioning the child abuse scene and while I can't remember the specifics I do remember it is both brutal and important to the series more than the individual book. Both Eve and Roarke evolve and mature during the course of the series. They change in response to their relationships and situation, but both of them have pasts that affect them and keep popping up.
I enjoy these books and I'm glad I' m to go back to the beginning and remembering how they started out.

message 31: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. (Samatwitch) | 108 comments Rebekah, that's the way I look at it too. I did answer Joia above but put it under spoiler tags just in case. Incest and child abuse are definitely things I find hard to read but they are sometimes necessary to a story - as is the case here. I'm looking forward to re-reading the first two books again as well.

message 32: by Jute (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jute | 238 comments I have never read anything in this series, so I am glad that I now have an excuse. I finished the book and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely read more in the series.

The story was fairly predictable for me, but I don't mind that sometimes. One thing that did bother me however was (view spoiler)

message 33: by Tau-Mu (new)

Tau-Mu | 10 comments I just bought the book! Im gonna finish this one before the next Hangout.

message 34: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments Just finished the audiobook, I take back what I said about the actor, she really settled into the role and by the end of the book was fantastic.
Although the book was awash with both romantic and scifi tropes there was a hefty dash of crime procedural.
Is the rest of the series more of the same, or do they do something other than the episodic?
I enjoyed this one but don't know if variations on a theme would hold my interest.

message 35: by Cayt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cayt Landis (mithrril) | 39 comments I haven't heard of this series before so I'm looking forward to finding something new and great to read. I got the first two books from the library yesterday and I've gotten to chapter 4. So far, so good. I don't usually read murder mystery books so this will be new for me (which is nice since I get in ruts of reading the same Tudor stories over and over again.... :P)

Right now the two things that stick out to me are that I enjoy the writing style and that the gun control theme in the book is very in line with the current gun control debate going on in the US right now.

message 36: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (Wildflowerz) | 37 comments Jon wrote: "Just finished the audiobook, I take back what I said about the actor, she really settled into the role and by the end of the book was fantastic.
Although the book was awash with both romantic and s..."

Definitely more of the same. Eve's and Roarke's issues pop up in every single book and there are some relationship developments from other characters, but it's very much "monster of the week."

message 37: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 58 comments so I started this last night, and doe brown has been mentioned like 3 times .... this isn't going to be obsidian eyes and rainbows all over again is it? lol

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon  | 91 comments That's a shame, I'll probably give them a miss for a while. I enjoyed this and don't want to ruin that by moving onto another one any time soon.

message 39: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary | 46 comments yeah! books i've read already. maybe i can now catch up on other books.

message 40: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary | 46 comments Dustylenz wrote: "Just finished the book. It reminds me a lot of Fifty Shades, because the main girl character just falls in love with the guy at first sight, but won't let herself fall in love. I personally loved..."

I can see the Fifty Shades comparison except Eve isn't some young naive girl like Anna and Rourke isn't always nagging Eve about eating...gawd that was annoying.

message 41: by Vicky (last edited Jan 31, 2013 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicky (vnorthw) | 492 comments Mod
I finished this last night - definitely a fast read! I liked it, but I didn't love it.

I love Law & Order and the crime procedural genre, but most of them aren't shows that I watch religiously (exception: Castle) and I don't feel like I have to watch every episode to enjoy the show. Naked in Death was like that for me. I will read the second (and maybe third, since Felicia mentioned that it wraps up a romance arc) but I doubt that I will keep going in the series much farther than that, there are too many other books that I want to get to.

I'm not sure how I feel about Roarke. His character was a bit inconsistent to me - sometimes he was extremely sweet and other times he was extremely alpha. I know we've seen other characters like him and even the most alpha characters we've read always have a soft spot for their lady, but Roarke seemed to be over exaggerated on both sides of the spectrum. It also really bothered me that right off the bat he was trying to get her to open up - I get that he was concerned about her, but you can't meet a person one day and expect them to spill their deepest darkest secrets to you the next.

For people concerned about the child abuse issue, I'll put in my 2 cents. It's definitely a theme. Eve was a victim of child abuse and as her cases sort themselves out there are several others who were also victims of child abuse and rape. There is some depiction of the acts, but I didn't find any of it overly graphic and I thought there was more emphasis on the emotional affects of it rather than the act itself. It was very much the level I expect out of something like Law & Order. If you can stomach episodes of L&O that deal with child abuse and/or rape, I don't think you would find the book offensive.

Ashley H. (ashleydoogah) | 19 comments Vicky wrote: "I'm not sure how I feel about Roarke. His character was a bit inconsistent to me - sometimes he was extremely sweet and other times he was extremely alpha... It also really bothered me that right off the bat he was trying to get her to open up - I get that he was concerned about her, but you can't meet a person one day and expect them to spill their deepest darkest secrets to you the next."

Yes! Roarke was way too perfect and a little too forceful for me. I mean, showing up at her house because he owns the building? And then he says he invaded her privacy because he was worried about her. WHAT?! Am I supposed to feel charmed by that? I guess I'm just never convinced by the charismatic, wealthy, instantly-in-love-with-the-heroine type of alpha male.

BUT I love Eve, love the mix of sci-fi, romance, and detective/mystery... and the first book has great, well-written sexy times imo!! I'm looking forward to seeing how Roarke's character develops in book 2, perhaps it will make me more receptive.

Vicky (vnorthw) | 492 comments Mod
Cayt wrote: "...the gun control theme in the book is very in line with the current gun control debate going on in the US right now. "

I thought this was interesting too!

I also got a kick out of Mavis mentioning that all disease has been more-or-less eradicated but scientists won't cure the common cold because it keeps the pharmaceutical companies in business.

Not sure if it's her intention or just a side effect of the world she built - but there are definitely some hot topics.

Carly (storybrooke) | 9 comments Lady cops and romance? I'm there!

message 45: by Cayt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cayt Landis (mithrril) | 39 comments Well, I finished this one pretty quickly. I liked it quite a bit! I've already got the second one from the library so I'll be reading that at the very least. I might read more in the series too but probably not right away since I just won 8 books that I'll need to be reading.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. The mystery was good and I'm not used to reading mysteries so it wasn't super predictable. I did have it figured out about halfway through but that's alright. I liked the setting and thought it was sci-fi enough to be interesting. And I liked the parallels to our current times with the gun control, abortion, birth control, etc. debates.

Eve was a great character. She had plenty of flaws and baggage but she was strong and feisty. She felt really fleshed out to me. Roarke grew on me as the book progressed so I'm hoping that I like him more in the second book. Like some of you have said he was a little too alpha at points and I'm not into guys creeping around in people's apartments and trying to control or "help" in their women's lives unasked. But sometimes he could be really sweet and I think he got less annoying and more endearing the further they got into their relationship. And he did remind me of 50 Shades right away and I was very put off by that since I despised that book, but it got better quickly.

message 46: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. (Samatwitch) | 108 comments Cayt, I think if you do read more in the series, Roarke will grow on you even more. Although he is always going to be an alpha male, Eve certainly holds her own and he compromises for her at times - as she does for him. I've read all 35 books so far and every time I finish one, I want to stay in that world with Eve & Roarke and their friends!

Jessica (MarieXD) | 6 comments SUCH an awesome series! I think I'm up to the 9th one. Roarke is super yummy, and Eve is kickass, and basically the first book is brilliant.

message 48: by Cayt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cayt Landis (mithrril) | 39 comments C.G. wrote: "Cayt, I think if you do read more in the series, Roarke will grow on you even more. Although he is always going to be an alpha male, Eve certainly holds her own and he compromises for her at times..."

I was thinking that would probably be the case. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the second book and Roarke isn't bothering me at all so far. I think he's pretty sweet now that the relationship is better established.

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bedazzledbee) | 227 comments I haven't read this series yet, but I am curious as to why the main pick and the alt pick are the first and second books in this series. I haven't gotten to watch the hangout since it's not up on Youtube yet, so do they say why they picked two books from the same series instead of two different books for the alt and main?

Shanoah (DawnOfTheMaine) | 2 comments I guess I’ll just start with the bad news: I will admit there were a number of scenes in this book that made me very uncomfortable. I had a really hard time reading from the POV of the murderer and the pedophilia notes were very weird (a.k.a. not something I usually read in my free time since I study psychology and have to read all about the real thing a lot). The main ‘romantic’ scene was a bit rape-y in that she was clearly saying no, not now.
The good news: I rather enjoyed the crime procedural, though it wasn’t anything new and most it had that written-in-1995-feel, which makes sense as that was when it was written.
I like Eve and felt that she was portrayed as strong and interesting, she would be a reason to read on in the series. And I have always had a pretty intense weakness for tall Irish men, so Roarke. He is intelligent and mysterious, if a little too forceful and stalker-y. He seems perfect… to perfect? Though I don’t know that the author gave me much to help me believe he would fall for Eve… anybody else feel this way?
Eve’s friend Mavis provided a nice bit of comic relief and I enjoyed her take on the world and her interaction with Eve. She was incredibly charming with a cold (hard thing to pull off). I hope she is prominent in the rest of the series.
I’m interested to read the next book and see how it goes from there…

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Glory in Death (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Courtney Milan (other topics)