The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time question

Does the fact that Christopher has Asperger's Syndrome add drama and tension to the story, do you think?
Josh Boffin Josh Jan 24, 2013 12:01PM
Because of the behavioural issues and issues that Christopher has to cope with, he says and does things throughout the book that others who do not suffer from the syndrome would not do. Do you think that this adds to the tension and drama throughout the story as it develops? I think Christopher is such a well written and heartfelt character and I absolutely adored him throughout. A great story, a great character.

What are your responses to my question, and what did you think to Christopher?

I read it before Aspergers was the diagnosis of the week. Wasn't mentioned in 4 years of a psychology degree. Just seemed like your regular old savant/nerd to me; the quiet, anxious, distracted goofball on your school bus kinda kid. A humorous curiosity of passing interest. I think being in his head IS the book... That was the carnival ride for me. I don't recall much tension, though I couldn't remember what happened to my keys twice today( all freshly cut replacements) So what do I know? One thing for sure; I'll always think of brown food a bit differently. Brownies aren't the same. Swear to God. Bret Easton Ellis did a much better job than the DSM IV describing Aspergers in his essay about his brother... And American Psycho.

To answer the question, it did get rather tense during his long sojourn on the train.

Completely agree with you there, Ann. I did feel scared with Christopher as the tension mounted as he embarked on his adventure to discover more about himself and his life. Thorough entertaining and engrossing.

Been a while since I read it, but I thought this was pretty much the reason for the book in the first place? Or maybe it wasn't the reason for the story per se, but this is how it was later marketed?

He doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome, nor is he autistic.

So no.

Sheila Once I mentioned Christopher's Asperger's syndrome in another discussion thread and was hastily corrected by someone who felt as you, Rebecca. What ma ...more
Jan 25, 2013 06:09AM

Rebecca, if you read the blurb, it tells you that he has Asperger's.

The reason I love his writing so much is that he really gets into the minds of the characters he is creating. Mark seems to be a master of his craft in this sense, as all of them appear to follow the same style of writing, with a similar narrative.

Everything he writes captivates and entices the reasder, and seems to leave you with an 'understanding' of what life would be like as the person you are reading about.

Emotive, funny, moving and creatively written, the angle provided by the character's 'disabilities' is what holds the stories together so masterfully.

He does have Asperger's. I'm not sure where I read it, but I think the author knew a family who had a child with Asperger's and that was the starting point for his inspiration for Christopher's character.

And personally I thought it added a great deal of tension to the story because I found myself so drawn into Christopher's mind that I started becoming scared and nervous with him, even at things that normally wouldn't bother me in a story.

I love this thread! Yes, yes and yes! I agree with all of you, except for the person who thought Christopher didn't have Asperger's. By the way, as of May, Asperger's will be a term of the past. They're redefining autism, Asperger's, etc. as ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Still, I LOVED every part of this book.

Maddison (last edited Mar 05, 2013 06:37PM ) Mar 05, 2013 06:36PM   0 votes
yes and i give props to mark haddon for introducing it into the plot - not many authours would do that and i apperciate that he did that. i love christopher's beautiful mind and hope there is a sequl

Haddon admitted later that he did no serious reasearch on autism when he wrote the book. But having read the book a second time now, since having a child diagnosed with aspergers, I think he did a really good job getting into Christopher's head without being exploitive or condescending.

Gilles (last edited Feb 01, 2013 11:23AM ) Feb 01, 2013 11:21AM   0 votes
I was convinced that Haddon had extensive experience working with intellectually challenged children before he wrote the book. Am I wrong? I agree with Mark: Christopher's mind IS the book. The story is just a pretext to reveal Christopher's mind. The story is basically irrelevant.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time (other topics)