Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

This book is a total torture!!!! U think so?

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeni It's not a nice book, but I thought it was actually the best of the three. That's my own opinion, though.

I mean, in a world where people fight to the death (children, specifically) in an arena, it's pretty logical to assume there would be violence.

message 2: by Anna (last edited Jan 23, 2013 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I actually think there is an equal amount of violence in all three actually maybe more in mockingjay but THG and CF I think have mostly the same and catching fire is actually my favorite in the series mostly because of all the new characters, that we get to more of the districts and because of the rebellious spirit.

Stepheny Jeni wrote: "It's not a nice book, but I thought it was actually the best of the three. That's my own opinion, though.

I mean, in a world where people fight to the death (children, specifically) in an arena, ..."

I agree with 100% of that statement. LOL it is my favortie of the series too. Loved this one, liked the first one and was utterly disappointed(?) with the last one.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Mariah wrote: "It sucks awfully!! So violent :/"

Are you surprised by the violence in a world where children kill each other for entertainment?

message 5: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki Umemoto I was impressed with all three. The first one was depressing, the second was more depressing and after the third one, you wanted to kill yourself.

Anna truth!

Jeni Melodrama aside, I didn't like Katniss as a person through the entire series, so I had a really hard time being invested in what happened to her.

First person narrative is difficult to do well, and Katniss's thoughts about why anyone would like her when she's a cold-hearted person and incapable of feeling made me ask the same thing. Why WOULD anyone like her when she's built that way by her own admission? That made me second-guess all the love stuff flying around. I'm dubious about anyone's motivations at this point.

Let's suffice it to say, there were interesting parts and not-so-interesting parts. The second games were fun to read in the way they were constructed. I thought it was a clever arena layout and enjoyed it.

message 8: by Vee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vee Gretzinger THANK YOU I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HATED THIS BOOK! it was sooo stupid, it's not because it was violent, it was just so stupid. it was like reading the first hunger games all over, and it was sooooo boring. ughh... and don't even get me started on the third book.... (ew)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The first one was the best. The second was good. The third was a little stale. I still like the books, though.

Annie No way,,,#2 is my absolute fave, and as a whole this series is awesome!

Chris Ward It's way better than Mockingjay but it has a much lower bodycount. The slaughter in the last couple of hundred pages of MJ pushed it from a 2 to a 3, as it satisfied my deranged bloodlust..! The story was poor, though.

Griffin P. The story of Mockingjay is overall poor, but I feel that in some ways Collins showed a lot of restraint. It's interesting to me that a character like Finnick is just oft, without doing all that much in the process. Just to clarify, I love Finnick, he's my favorite character in the series, but I appreciate that Collins chose to just kill him. It's hard to do that to a character so beloved to fans, but I think it shows a lot of technique.

Chris Ward Haha, have you read Game of Thrones? Martin does that frequently. No character is safe!

It wasn't that which bothered me with MJ. It was just that Katniss pretty much does nothing and the whole thing about the video propos was just pointless considering we have no way of knowing what effect they had and the Districts seemed to be winning the war quite easily anyway. Plus that the whole Snow/Coin thing was blatantly obvious from a couple of paragraphs in.

Buttercup was my favorite character, he was awesome!

Eleanor I loved this.

Griffin P. Chris wrote: "Haha, have you read Game of Thrones? Martin does that frequently. No character is safe!

It wasn't that which bothered me with MJ. It was just that Katniss pretty much does nothing and the whole..."

I haven't read Game of Thrones, no, but I'm interested now. I like really meaningless death, it's kind of a passion of mine - in books that is. Don't get any ideas. You're absolutely right, though, and Katniss bothered me from halfway through THG.

Luna Belle Pris It is a repeat of the first.

Griffin P. Laura wrote: "It is a repeat of the first."

Which, Catching Fire or Mockingjay? We all got a bit off-topic here.

Chris Ward Griffin wrote: "Chris wrote: "Haha, have you read Game of Thrones? Martin does that frequently. No character is safe!

It wasn't that which bothered me with MJ. It was just that Katniss pretty much does nothing..."

I'm afraid to say that Game of Thrones is in a different league to The Hunger Games. To be fair, I'm not exactly the market for YA fiction (I'm 34!) but I thought I'd give it a go since my book got compared to it and I was curious. I really liked part one but two and three weren't so good. With a decent budget they could make good movies from them, as long as they focus on the other characters as well and not just Katniss.

Luna Belle Pris Griffin wrote: "Laura wrote: "It is a repeat of the first."

Which, Catching Fire or Mockingjay? We all got a bit off-topic here."

Catching Fire.

Griffin P. Agreed, except that Catching Fire was more about a whiny teenager and less about a dystopian world in which every single other character is interesting except the one whose thoughts we're condemned to hear.

Sarah Laura wrote: "Griffin wrote: "Laura wrote: "It is a repeat of the first."

Which, Catching Fire or Mockingjay? We all got a bit off-topic here."

Catching Fire."

*spoilers*
Agreed too. Technically, Suzanne Collins could've just ended it with one book. I mean, at the end they voted to make another Hunger Games but instead for Capitol children. I don't see that as a fair game... Yes, Prim died but isn't it actually Gale's fault? The 3rd book was disappointing too...I must say, this is my favorite one out of all 3.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)