Classics Without All the Class discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
Feb 2013 -Life of Pi > Part 2, Chapters 67-94 *Might Contain Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karena (karenafagan) Please keep comments within chapters 67-94.

Tanya-Marie | 238 comments Well.
I felt exhausted after reading this part. Just, completely worn out.
And I almost vomited when Pi tried to eat Richard Parker's feces.
His rescue was pretty fantastic too.

Karena (karenafagan) Tanya wrote: "Well.
I felt exhausted after reading this part. Just, completely worn out.
And I almost vomited when Pi tried to eat Richard Parker's feces.
His rescue was pretty fantastic too."

I had been planning on eating ice cream when this part came up. Bleh. Had to put it aside for a few hours.

Rhonda | 15 comments I have so many questions after this part of the book. Who was the man that Richard Parker killed? Another poor soul lost at sea (wha t are the odds?)?

And the carnivorous island! !! What the heck wss that? Is it possible such a thing exists? it sure explains why Richard Parker came running back so fast that night and jumped into the water when Pi whistled.....his feet were burning off!

oh my gosh.....I love this book so much. I laughed out loud at Pi raging at that island, "Nothing but the teeth! " Ha ha ha!

holly rose | 41 comments Rhonda wrote: "I have so many questions after this part of the book. Who was the man that Richard Parker killed? Another poor soul lost at sea (wha t are the odds?)?

And the carnivorous island! !! What the hec..."

Rhonda, I too am confused about the "other blind man." Since it was so late in book, it couldn't have been anyone else on the lifeboat, so who was it? Or was it just him imagining someone else?

Karena (karenafagan) holly rose wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "I have so many questions after this part of the book. Who was the man that Richard Parker killed? Another poor soul lost at sea (wha t are the odds?)?

And the carnivorous island! ..."

Rhonda wrote: "I have so many questions after this part of the book. Who was the man that Richard Parker killed? Another poor soul lost at sea (wha t are the odds?)?

And the carnivorous island! !! What the hec..."

You guys have to just keep reading. ;)

Jessica | 464 comments I struggled a lot with Part 2 of the book, in general. However the blind man at sea and the carnivorous island helped me to get back into it. His rescue is the only reason I want to see the movie. There are just some moments that a cinematic viewing would capture so well.

Jennifer | 17 comments At this point in the story, Pi seems to be loosing his mind. I do not buy the reality of the man Richard Parker killed. I can believe the Island is carnivorous at least at the basic level. It is carnivorous as all land is carnivorous. We come from dust and return to dust. The Island may represent the circle of life idea. I propose the teeth are the embodiment of an idea Pi is thinking about while on an island.

message 9: by Marwa (last edited Feb 24, 2013 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marwa (_MIA_) This part has its share of some graphic descriptions. The survisor's culinary attempts was stomach turning. To me the encounter of the french blind man was somewhat incomprehensible to me. But I enjoyed the carnivorous island, and the notion of how things are not always the way it seems.

Margaret Just finished this part. My enjoyment of this book ebbs and flows like the tide. Some of it is very engaging and exciting, but then there are times when I just want the author to get on with it. Maybe some of the monotony of the book is supposed to mirror the monotony of being lost at sea.

The island was quite interesting! I did enjoy that part quite a bit. The episode of the other man is incomprehensible to me, but I anticipate some revelation at the end.

message 11: by Angie, Shelf-tator (last edited Feb 24, 2013 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments Well, I've heard a lot about Richard Parker's feces, but I'm not there yet. However, I had to put the book down when it got to the whole part about the zebra being eaten from the inside out. Seriously almost made me puke , and I don't have a weak stomach! Can that even really happen??? I am so grossed out about it and the beheading of poor Orange Juice that I needed a break. I am working myself up to the feces part... lol

Elizabeth Moffat | 36 comments The part about RP's faeces was absolutely disgusting and I think Pi was getting so desperate at this point he would do anything for a bit of "nourishment" (?) I think this is also the part where he loses touch with reality a bit although the other blind man completely confused me to begin with!

Alana (alanasbooks) | 204 comments This part dragged for me a bit, too. I agree, though, that it rather mirrors how boring it would be to simply be drifting at sea that whole time. I think the island was simply his mind creating something to keep him occupied, dreaming of his belly being full and having companions besides the tiger. But it certainly wouldn't be that far-fetched, either; there are some very strange creatures in our oceans. Hard to rule out anything until you know it unequivocally to be impossible, and even then...

The feces did gross me out, although I think none of us can imagine to what levels we would sink when stuck in that degree of hungry and depravity. None of us knows how we would face a situation until actually faced with it.

The other blind man did confuse me as well. I figured it was a hallucination until he described the body decaying and such afterwards, (view spoiler). I still can't quite figure that part out.

By the time the rescue happens, it almost seems anti-climactic, it happen so fast. He pretty much says "and then we landed and I was rescued," other than the bit about Richard Parker running off. But, then again, what else would there be to tell at that point? He probably was so delirious he didn't remember much anyway.

unread topics | mark unread