Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Lavender Brown

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jasmine J In the book Lavander Brown falls from a building during the battle of Hogwarts and is about to be stunned or killed(not sure) when Professor Trelawney drops down crystal balls from her tower to knock out her attacker. But in the movie they show her body but im not sure if she is dead or not.
So what I'm pretty much saying at the end of the battle is she alive?? :)

Viky I'm not sure, either. In the movie she died. But in the book she's still alive, but close to death ( "feebly struggling body"), so I think she might have succumbed to her injuries.

Julia Lavender died only in the movie. In the book she survives.

Sujata she definitely survives in the book... haven't seen the movie though.. cause i cant bear even a single change in story or details.

Brooke Sujata wrote: "she definitely survives in the book... haven't seen the movie though.. cause i cant bear even a single change in story or details."
Me neither.

Jeni She actually didn't die in the movie, but we don't see what happens after Hermione blasts the werewolf back.

In the book:

"'NO!' shrieked Hermione, and with a deafening blast from her wand, Fenrir Greyback was thrown backward from the feebly struggling body of Lavender Brown."

She supposedly survived the attack, but she would likely be a werewolf now.

Gretchen According to Harry Potter Wikepedia she did die from her injuries. It was not in the book, I am guessing this is info release through Pottermore and from Rowling herself as she has updated various info on the characters in several interviews.

Jeni I got my info from the Harry Potter lexicon, so I'm wondering if it needs updating? Is the HP Wiki like others in that anyone can update it? This is now confusing!!

C.C. Jeni wrote: "She actually didn't die in the movie."

I just watched the movie last night, and it certainly seems to indicate that she did, in fact, die. Although she seems to be alive after the attack when Hermione blasts the werewolf (I'm assuming that was Greyback) off her, in the later scene where Harry wanders through the Great Hall and sees all the dead laid out, Trelawney and one of the Patil twins are sitting with a covered body, which I believe was Lavender.

message 10: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni I was quoting the HP Lexicon. She is presumed dead, but we don't know for a fact she is. In fact, it doesn't list a death date for Lavender at all, even though others who died at Hogwart's (not listed in the book or movie) do have death dates. I'm including the link I referenced:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/wizards/bro...

It's now becoming confusing for me, though. I don't recall a mention of her dying and can't find one aside from the HP Wiki mentioned above.

Alana There is lots of evidence between if she dies or doesn't and I'm now confused on which way to think.

But I think the chances of surviving a werewolf attack is slight.

Kressel Housman If she had survived, it might have been a fate worse than death.

Brooke :( I hope she didn't die. I always thought she was kind of cute.

message 14: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni I agree with Kressel to a degree. After all, Lupin was a werewolf and managed fairly well.

I was okay with Lavender dying, actually. To explain, I imagined her to have suffered much worse than dying from the Avada Kadavra curse, which is instant. Being eaten by a werewolf like Greyback seems cruel and unusual and I kind of hoped she passed before it was too horrible.

If she did indeed survive, she would be scarred and turned, if the lore holds up.

I'm definitely going to research this out now.

Jasmine J C.C. wrote: "Jeni wrote: "She actually didn't die in the movie."

I just watched the movie last night, and it certainly seems to indicate that she did, in fact, die. Although she seems to be alive after the at..."

yeh i saw this too in the movie the other day and read the 7ht book recently which was why i asked...hmmm :)

Kathy I just want to add that I really like her name! Even if she was kind of annoying, I hope she lived!

Laura No, Greyback definitely killed her in the movie. She survived in the book though.

Luna Belle Pris When it comes to stories I need it spelled out or I always wonder...

Griffin P. Can I question why the producers felt the need to change her and other characters' actors like all the time?

And I know this is off-topic, but remember that kid in the third movie who we all thought was Dean Thomas? He's actually some guy named Bem who is played by Ekow Quartey. Go exploring sometime.

message 20: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil I remember in the special features for the movie one of the actors mentions that she is dead.

Becky I thought that Greyback wasn't a wolf when he bit her so wouldn't she be more like Bill than turned into an actual werewolf? (If she survived...)

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa She did die in the movie. I watched some interview.. or something on the DVD features that said she died.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Griffin wrote: "Can I question why the producers felt the need to change her and other characters' actors like all the time?

And I know this is off-topic, but remember that kid in the third movie who we all thoug..."

Dean Thomas ? We know who Dean Thomas is. Same actor was in the first movie until the last.

Jasmine J Griffin was talking about the kid in divination...i thought he was dean too

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick Greyback killed her in the movie but you don't see the outcome in the book. In the book she was seriouly injured but I think J.K rowling wants you to imagine your own outcome.

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick Jeni wrote that lavender would now be a werewolf but Greyback hadn't transformed so if she survived she would have a case like Bill's.

message 27: by Julia (last edited Oct 19, 2013 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia This is just my memory (so I might have it wrong) but I seem to remember she fell from a balcony and was ALMOST attacked by Greyback before Hermione blasted him away. It wasn't even clear if he actually bit her. But falling from such a height can still kill her. There's also the matter of what happened to cause her fall. She could have been hit with a curse that gave her additional injuries and/or made her injuries worse.

In the movie it looked like he was already eating her when Hermione found them. And the look on her face makes it pretty clear that she died.

I think she died. They do change things in the movies, but changing who lives and who dies is a pretty big one and the movie producers did try to stay true to the books. So I don't think they would have shown her dead if JKR said she was supposed to have survived.

message 28: by Madi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madi I hope she didn't die :(

Sherry Stevens She dies in the movie. An interview with the actress who portrays her is on the special features. She talks about preparing for the death of Lavender Brown. It isn't as clear in the book but from what I read she dies in the book too.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (other topics)