The Page Turners discussion

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Olivia McCloskey | 2327 comments Mod
What did you think?

Bri (s3psis) | 108 comments My second favorite book of the series. I loved seeing the different Wizarding schools and traveling with Harry though the different challenges. Not to mention it was the first really long book of the series, and I love myself a thick read.

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments So even though I hate poking holes in any of the Harry Potter books I realized something the last time I read GoF. Barty Crouch Jr. says in his confession that after the Quidditch World Cup Voldemort and Wormtail came to find him, releasing him from his father's imperius curse and simultaniously putting Barty Crouch Sr. under the imperius curse. Then he says that they began to hatch a plan, that Barty Crouch Jr. would take Mad-Eye's place at Hogwarts by using the polyjuice potion. Now here's where I found the issue: the Quidditch World Cup took place on the 22nd of August, the first day of term starts the 1st of September which means that there were 9 days between the Cup and the start of term. Now in order to make the polyjuice potion the lacewing flies must be stewed for 21 days, and you can only use fluxweed picked during a full moon, so all in all the process takes about a month. (22 days at the least, if the lacewing flies are stewed for 21 days and the full moon is during that time, then the potion takes 80- minutes to prepare and 24 hours to brew.) So if there were only 9 days between the Cup and the Start of term when did they have the time to make the potion. The only thing I can think of that doesn't poke holes in the story is that they already had it made, but considering Voldemort was still not human at that point and the only person with him was Wormtail, I'm not sure of the likelihood of that, given that Voldemort doesn't have much faith in Wormtail's abilities and wouldn't want a botch potion to ruin his entire plan...

Olivia McCloskey | 2327 comments Mod
That's a really good point that I didn't pick up on beforehand. Now that's going to bother me...

Samantha (sammgasmic) | 41 comments Lol I know right?? I hate that I thought about it :P little things like that keep popping out at me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread