The Sword and Laser discussion

Living in a Fantasy world.

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Isaiah | 64 comments I have had this discussion with my friends to while away the hours on long drives and such, and it usually leads to some interesting discussions. Which fantasy world would you most like to live in, and which would you never want to go to as long as you live?
I personally think living in Pat Rothfuss's Four Corners would be awesome. Going to the University to learn sympathy and naming, and listening to music in Imre. Not that there is some epicly bad stuff that happens in this world, but the University and the area nearby generally seem like a safe place to stay (unless you're Kvothe).
On the other hand, there is Joe Abercrombie's Circle of the World. Under no inducement would I ever want to go there. From the Northlands, to Midderland, to Gurkhul, this world is constantly at war. Bloody, terrifying, depressing war. Even in the 'safe' parts of the world, you'd likely be taken by the Inquisition for a crime they told you you'd committed. Love the series, but I'd never want to experience it firsthand.
So, which world would you most like to be in, and which would you rather avoid, and why?
P.S. I realize I didn't incude SF because I havent read as much of it, but feel free to bring it into the discussion. If I don't get the references, its my problem.

Dara (geekdara) | 984 comments Most: The Mass Effect universe. Despite the reaper war, the universe is so deep and interesting. The political aspects seem very real to me and the cultures are fascinating.

Least: Most medieval fantasies. The women in most of those are relegated to baby making or don't have many rights. I don't want to be my husband's property, basically. Or married off to someone and having no say in it.

message 3: by Justin (last edited Jan 21, 2013 09:05AM) (new)

Justin (SageAvii) | 6 comments Fantasy: Hands down it would be Middle Earth. I mean I have been living in the world since I was a young lad. So I already know not to go swimming in the rivers of Mirkwood and that Kingsfoil is the Tylenol of the world. Though mainly I just want to sit on a chair, in the Shire and just enjoy the simple things in life.

Sci fi: Basically the same answer as Dara above. :D

Worst: Westeros... I am a honourable and naive person... So I'd be dead pretty quickly. Love to read about the place but living there would be horrible.

message 4: by Rasnac (last edited Jan 21, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Rasnac | 326 comments Star Trek universe TNG and DS9 era would do nicely. I would just get a holodeck and a replicator and reclude myself from the outer world.

Fantasy: I wouldn't like the idea of living in any sort of medieveal society that do not have at least an equivalent of antibiotics(some kind of magic potion or something that will prevent me from dying of common flu or a slight cut) and some kind of indoor plumbing.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 611 comments Agreed with Dara about Mass Effect. It's one of the most richly realized universes I've ever encountered.

I also like the idea of just being able to get up and go, taking matters into your own hands as long as you have a ship and a gun. Once again, there's a sense of a "wild frontier" that we haven't had in a while since most of the world is now charted.

For fantasy, the world in the Elder Scrolls video games, for much the same reasons. Talking a walk (armed of course) between cities and that sense of adventure would be amazing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Harry Potter at the moment and that world seems incredibly magical and wondrous although I don't think at my age they would let me into the school :(

message 7: by Louise (last edited Jan 21, 2013 10:55AM) (new)

Louise | 334 comments Narnia. After the events of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but before the kings and queens get sent back to our world. I've been trying every wardrobe since I was 6, but no luck yet. Or Earthsea, on one of the nicer islands. Not around Pendor when the dragon's there.

Evgeny Amber Universe for me. Interesting and fairly safe. Star Trek seems to be the only scifi universe with optimistic future.

Carmen Cruz | 13 comments I world i would like to live in: Alfheim online :D. Cmon who doesnt want to fly?
Or the dune world. Yes, im classic like that.

I world i Dont like to step in: the real one XD
Just kidding, i guess the ridick chronicles world.

Kalvin | 27 comments for the sci-fi aspect got to go with Mass Effect for definite, the spirit of adventure, the tech, even with the darker aspects of the universe, For avoiding sci-fi and i know i about to make enemies, but Star Wars, won't say why i just have my reasons.
On the fantasy side of things: there are just too many to count, from Blake Charlton's world of the Spellwright trilogy to jim butchers alternate earth, dresden files, to flying dragons in Temeraire, but if i can expand a moment to the comic worlds, why not the DC or Marvel unverses to keep thing literary.
The fact that there is so many fantasy worlds out there both popular and hidden away in memory it is easy to find worlds that we resonate with, where we can exist to our potential especially if you suffer from the being excentrc and geeky, we want to escape to places with magic, and wonder that we can't find here on our own.

Dara (geekdara) | 984 comments @Alex, Elder Scrolls is a good one. That's probably my fantasy choice. That or Harry Potter.

Michal (MichaltheAssistantPigkeeper) | 235 comments I think chilling in the nameless city in Swordspoint would be a ticket to adventure, but not quite as exhilarating as the world of The Sorcerer's Ship.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 673 comments Fantasy: Nehwon, setting of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories. It always seemed liked a fun, happening place.

Phil | 347 comments I've always wanted to live in Middle Earth. Maybe a nice house in Bree.
For science fiction, the Star Trek universe would be the most comfortable, barring a Borg invasion.
Riverworld would be interesting but the downside is you have to die to get there.
The worst would be The Land from the Thomas Covenant books. It seems pretty depressing there.

Daran | 502 comments The Forgotten Realms. D&D threw every mythology and the kitchen sink into the game, then incorporated it into the novels, so most fantasy stuff is there. It's got halflings, and humans, and dwarves, and orcs, and yeti, pegasi--whatever you want. Also, there's a temple for healing in just about every town, so its got the healthcare system.

I think I'd make my fortune battling pirates on the Sword Coast, then set up shop in Calimshan. Sell sunscreen to dark elf tourists.

message 16: by Matthew (last edited Jan 22, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 192 comments I suppose this question kind of makes me ask what I would be doing in said world. If I were just to exist in a world with no particular major role then I would like to live in Narnia or perhaps Hyrule.

If I were part of the "happenings" I think Mazalan. That seems like a nice dark place to make a name for yourself.

For Sci-Fi I am not sure. Star Trek to just live there with its utopia. Mass Effect for the story of it?

EDIT: How did I not think of Harry Potter. I wish boarding school was that cool.

Ray | 33 comments Fantasy - Bakker's Earwa, Rothfuss's Four Corners, Mieville's Bas-Lag, William's Osten Ard

Worst/No Thank You/No F#@$@ing Way - Jordan's Wheel of Time World

Rune | 4 comments I think the world of the black cauldron would be awesome. Perhaps maybe even Patrica c wreed's enhanted forest and from there find a way to Krynn. And of course middle earth and Lackey's valdamar is a must for me.

As for the worst places are The borg world, Terry Goodkind's sword of truth world no thanks not in a million years.

Isaiah | 64 comments Ray wrote: "Fantasy - Bakker's Earwa, Rothfuss's Four Corners, Mieville's Bas-Lag, William's Osten Ard

Worst/No Thank You/No F#@$@ing Way - Jordan's Wheel of Time World"

I've never read Wheel of Time, what's so bad about that particular world?

Joe Dombrowski | 24 comments I'd like to live on Hari Seldon's Trantor. I'm not big on elves and dragons. Magic would freak me out. I'd rather have something big and technologically advanced. And they could go to other worlds with relative ease so there would certainly be some green planets out there I could visit. (City kid here)

library_jim | 203 comments Middle Earth yes, but more specifically I think I'd be happiest working at the library in Rivendell. Nothing very bad ever happens there, they get plenty of interesting visitors and I'll bet they have the best collection in all of Middle Earth.

Jeff Gunzel (JeffGunzel) | 18 comments Daran wrote: "The Forgotten Realms. D&D threw every mythology and the kitchen sink into the game, then incorporated it into the novels, so most fantasy stuff is there. It's got halflings, and humans, and dwarv..."

Ha ha! (Healthcare System) But seriously, the Forgotten Realms would be awesome. R.A. Salvatore is my fave...

Joe Dombrowski | 24 comments Jim wrote: "Middle Earth yes, but more specifically I think I'd be happiest working at the library in Rivendell. Nothing very bad ever happens there, they get plenty of interesting visitors and I'll bet they ..."

Yeah, but you'd always have Lady Galadriel hanging around, reading your mind.

Paul | 2 comments I have to go with anywhere in Krynn from the Dragonlance novels. Particularly Solace.

Daran | 502 comments Jeff wrote: "Daran wrote: "The Forgotten Realms. D&D threw every mythology and the kitchen sink into the game, then incorporated it into the novels, so most fantasy stuff is there. It's got halflings, and hum..."

Whenever I've had this discussion with friends or teachers, it always comes back to healthcare. Whenever you have to put yourself practically into a world, basic necessities are the primary consideration.

I remember having this discussion with a professor who said "But Middle Earth is a Medieval society. If you break you leg climbing the Misty Mountains, there's no Careflight (medical helicopter)that can take you to a hospital."

I instantly responded, "No, but there are eagles that will pick you up, and take you to a House of Healing."

I nearly failed that course.

kvon | 497 comments I'll join Louise in Earthsea. Perhaps live out with the raft people.

I'd stay away from Malazan, or Westeros, or other places with a war going on. Things that are exciting to read about wouldn't be fun to live through.

Ray | 33 comments Rune wrote: "As for the worst places are The borg world, Terry Goodkind's sword of truth world no thanks not in a million years."

Agreed on Goodkind. The SOT world is far worse than WOT.

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Daran wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Daran wrote: "The Forgotten Realms. D&D threw every mythology and the kitchen sink into the game, then incorporated it into the novels, so most fantasy stuff is there. It's got halfl..."

That made me laugh. I would most likely have been with you with almost failing.

Place to live: Fantasy- Narina during the golden age. Sci Fi- Firefly. Living in the Black, earning a honest living trading/hauling goods along the Rim, Wild West with a spaceship and gender equality (for the most part)

Thanks but F*&^ no!- Hunger Games (distopias in general) and alt reality Twilight universe.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1232 comments Agreed, SOT by Goodkind would be a horrible place to be, even if you were Richard or Kahlen.

John Carter of Mars wouldn't be so bad though.

Ender | 59 comments After reading this thread I will consider staying in this world... If I had to I'd probably choose MiƩville's Bas-Lag. Or West of Eden world, I'd like to see some dinosaurs.

Francis      x | 33 comments nobody have mentained Patrick Rothfuss's 'the name of the Wind' world( the king killer's chronicle # 1).

Sinkline | 10 comments For a Fantasy world I'd pick Robert Jorden's Wheel of Time universe. other then the whole final battle thing this universe's magic uses can heal. The Aes Sedai have a whole Aja focused on healing. Its one of the few fantasy worlds that has some form of healthcare.

SciFi I would go with Ian M. Banks Culture universe. The technology is so advanced that people can live almost anyway they can imagine.

Snarktastic Sonja (SnowNSew) | 22 comments Pern. I'd love to be able to impress a dragon . . .

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1232 comments For SF I think Iain M Banks Culture is the one for me.

Ray | 33 comments Francis x wrote: "nobody have mentained Patrick Rothfuss's 'the name of the Wind' world( the king killer's chronicle # 1)."

The Four Corners has been mentioned a number of times. Was one of my choices as well.

Troy Jackson | 24 comments I would have to agree with anyone saying Star Trek. Sure, there are plenty of baddies out there, but it isn't the depressing "end of the world" stuff like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars (unless you say post-Episode VI), etc. With Star Trek you have the entire universe to explore. Extremely dangerous, but exciting!

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Troy wrote: "I would have to agree with anyone saying Star Trek. Sure, there are plenty of baddies out there, but it isn't the depressing "end of the world" stuff like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars (unless you ..."

unless you are a redshirt.

Liv (Livlou) | 27 comments Fantasy- most likely Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia or Charlie Bone universe. Even though they are not my favorite worlds, I like the idea that I'm somewhat safe. lol.

Sci Fi-Hands down the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy but please don't hand me a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Or Star Wars...Both are quite interesting, I wouldn't mind being a Jedi (In the old republic)

Joseph | 879 comments For fantasy I'm starting to think Terre d'Ange from Kushiel's Dart For SF, I'd go with Star Wars (pre-Empire) or Mass Effect. Here's the secret, though -- let me live out my life before all of the "interesting" events start happening and/or let me just be some guy minding his own business and not caught up in world-shaking events.

Ender | 59 comments Olivia wrote: "Sci Fi-Hands down the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy..."
Isn't it this world?

Liv (Livlou) | 27 comments Ender wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Sci Fi-Hands down the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy..."
Isn't it this world?"

Yes, but they do explore other planets which is pretty cool.

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I'd like to visit Coruscant from Star Wars, Hogwarts from Harry Potter, The Citadel from Mass Effect, and Hyrule from Legend of Zelda.

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Even though it's a dark and dirty place, Bas-Lag would be awesome, especially running into a Weaver or traveling on Armada.

The Mass Effect universe would be a lot of fun. As well as riding on a massive space ship from Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns.

Bryek | 271 comments Hard to pick just one! First one would be Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic world as long as I get a cool Nature magic ability.
Rothfuss's place at the university would be awesome too.
I also think Daniell's Outcast Chronicles would be an interesting place to experience! as long as you get a good house!
Oh, Week's Lightbringer series would also be an interesting place to be.
Elder Scrolls
Codex Alera would be awesome pre-invasion.
Pern for sure.
Iskryne would be interesting.
Dresden Files and Iron Druid for modern stuff.
Avatar: the last Airbender Ang series would be cool.

Worst: WoT, ASoIaF, SoT, Shadows of the Adept (i go back and forth on this one), David Eddings (because you would just be repeating hardships every decade but killing a god each time would be amusing),

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Swordspoint (other topics)
The Sorcerer's Ship (other topics)
Kushiel's Dart (other topics)