What is everyone reading on their Kindles these days?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 110) (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK I don't know about you, but I feel like I am reading much more with my Kindle than ever pre-K. I am currently reading American Wife and listening to Dragonfly in Amber. I've learned quickly though that the Kindle is not the best for audiobooks. Think I'll go back to putting audios on my phone again. Also enjoying a weekly magazine called "Cash: Personal Finance for Real People". The articles are brief and to the point, sometimes entertaining, and particularly interesting now with so many financial challenges.

How about you? Anyone have any Kindle blog or magazine recommendations? Also, curious about whether you continue to read paper books. (Not for me, so far)

OK - I'm rambling now. :) Your turn!

message 2: by SF_Reads (Mod) (new)

SF_Reads (Mod) (SF_Reads_MOD) | 4 comments I haven't done any magazines or blogs yet although I am toying with the New Yorker. I really only read fiction and have already read two of the In Death books by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts). I am reading a "real" book right now, Under the Skin by Faber, and by page 15 I was missing the built in dictionary.

message 3: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK I agree about the dictionary - I must use it multiple times a day (and previously thought I had a good vocabulary!)

I had never heard of J.D. Robb until coming to this and to the kindleboards website - where she is everywhere! (Yes, I must be living under a rock :)) I think I'll be adding her to my "to read" list soon.

message 4: by Al (last edited Mar 12, 2009 08:17PM) (new)

Al | 12 comments I posted some thoughts & ideas about the Kindle and authors at for what that may be worth.

message 5: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK Al, when I clicked on the link all I received was "Page not found".

message 6: by SF_Reads (Mod) (new)

SF_Reads (Mod) (SF_Reads_MOD) | 4 comments connie, just delete the comma at the end or the url

message 7: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK Ah-ha (head slap). Thank you!

message 8: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 10 comments Mod
I am definitely reading more now than pre-Kindle. Right now I'm reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

I never got into audio books, I really need to be listening to music as much as possible...

message 9: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK You're right - that's definitely a drawback - I rarely listen to the radio or music anymore if I'm really caught up in an audiobook.

message 10: by Kcraybould (new)

Kcraybould | 1 comments I definitely read more on the Kindle than I used to because it is easier to find books and much easier to get them. It is not uncommon for me to finish one book and get a sample or new book right away to read.

I am reading Lost Christianities right now.

message 11: by KindleKay (new)

KindleKay | 4 comments I have always read a lot, but Kindle has just made it easier and more fun. I am reading more but it is because once I am done with a book, there are thousands of others at my fingertips! Plus, I carry my Kindle with me everywhere whereas I didn't always carry a book with me everywhere. I adore my Kindle and wish all authors would allow Kindle versions. I would like to see prices on books drop more regularly. I almost never, ever pay $9.99 for a book. I use bargain and free book threads a LOT!

I am currently reading "Waiting For Spring" which I heard of on You can buy it for $3.19 on amazon, but on the authors website, they have it in .pdf format for free and I emailed that to my Kindle 1. I am really, really liking it. Got sucked into the story right away and can't wait to see how it turns out....

message 12: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK "Waiting for Spring" - what an appropriate title for this time of year! Thanks for mentioning that one - I hadn't caught it on kindleboards but just downloaded it.

Lost Christianities also sounds like a fascinating book.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Currently reading "Veronika Decides To Die" By Paulo Coelho. I use the audio feature only when I really can't read it because I'm doing something and can't use my hands. It's OK for the short term, but I too prefer real audio books, so I'll get them from the library and download them to my ipod.

message 14: by Al (new)

Al | 12 comments Currently reading "Mozart's Wife," highly readable. Finished "Marrying the Captain" and "Distant Cousin," of course. All budget priced.

message 15: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) I've been reading non-stop since my K2 arrived. Currently I'm working my way through the Temeraire series. I've read His Majesty's Dragon and Throne of Jade. I'm currently halfway through Black Powder War. I guess that giving away the first book free really works. :)

Lara Amber

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz My reading has slowed down a bit, but not by much :) Currently I'm reading Distant Cousin (I'll post soon Al, promise), Outfoxed (Rita Mae Brown is a local author) and Voyager.

message 17: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK Al wrote: "Currently reading "Mozart's Wife," highly readable.

Al - Thanks for mentioning that one. I've heard good things. Also your book looks really interesting. Both are going on my "to reads" list.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Currently I'm reading "Bleak House" by Dickens on my Kindle.

message 19: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK Liz - How are you enjoying Bleak House? I tried listening to it on audio recently and had a lot of difficulty getting through it - finally gave up on it about 6 hours in. My FIL loves the story and just sent me the DVD.

message 20: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 10 comments Mod
Right now I'm reading "Ghost Brigades" by John Scalzi. I loved "Old Man's War" so much I had to jump right into the sequel!

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Connie, It is a slow read. It will be one of those reads I'll be reading for months. I am having trouble with it, but I will not give up.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (CegAbq) | 1 comments Afraid - by Jack Kilborn (every bit as gory as reviews say!).

message 23: by Ernest (new)

Ernest (ErnestS) | 2 comments "The Kite Runner" - Saw the movie and read Hosseini's second book ("A Thousand Splendid Suns"). So far, I can't put it down!

message 24: by LizH (new)

LizH (Liz_H) | 3 comments I am reading 3 books, all different genres. I used to have DTB's on every level of my house, so depending on which level I was on, was the book I was reading. Now with the Kindle it goes everywhere with me, so it depends on my mood: Easy Prey by John Sandford. Started these books years ago, and am trying to get caught up. Montana Creeds: Tyler, by Linda Lael Miller, for some silly reading. And lastly We Bought a Zoo...just started that.

message 25: by Sailor (new)

Sailor Babe | 2 comments [image error] The Legend of Witch Bane by Kevis Hendrickson

Reading and enjoying both books.

message 26: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (webhill) | 2 comments I'm working my way through the Southern Vampire Mysteries :) Honestly, it's the funniest thing... I would never in a million years have thought I'd like vampire stories, but at some point a while back there was a special on some site - maybe fictionwise? - where I could get the Twilight ebooks as a package for really cheap, and so I did. I read them REALLY fast and enjoyed the stories though obviously they aren't shining examples of literary technique :). Then I heard Howard Stern talking about HBO's True Blood series, and realized it was based on a book series, but still didn't think to get the books, til someone posted on Kindleboards that the 7th in the series is going cheap right now. So I caved and bought the first... up to #3 right now... probably will finish them all in a week :)

Then I think I'm probably going to read Funny in Farsi next (which was a free d/l I picked up from the April free book thread I think?), and then possibly It Sucked and then I Cried by Heather Armstrong (the sample is sitting on my Kindle calling my name). And then the Unlikely Disciple maybe?

message 27: by ConnieK (new)

ConnieK Hillary - I did the same thing with the Southern Vampire books back in January. Cheap, fast, and fun reads! Now if only True Blood would come back soon - I keep wondering if it will continue to follow the books.

message 28: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments I started Kennedy's True Compass, but I became too depressed since I was a wee bit close to the subject so switched to Gruen's Water for Elephants. Just read over at KBs that it can be depressing. I'll finish it then definitely find something fun.

message 29: by Al (new)

Al | 12 comments I finished Steig Larssen's trilogy over the holidays: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (only the 2nd was a Kindle edition). I love a long, involved series you can wallow in. These are translated from Swedish and have some daunting place names, but they also have a vulnerable but resourceful female character who has grabbed many a reader, myself included...but then I did create Ana Darcy, of the Distant Cousin stories, so maybe that shouldn't be surprising. I found myself sneaking off from holiday company to read a few more pages.

Check the reviews and samples, but Uncle Al gives 'em two thumbs up.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Reading The Mists of Avalon. I like reading bigger books on the Kindle, because I don't like carrying them around...too heavy.

message 31: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments Finished Water for Elephants and thought I'd try an online service for book recommendations (I read about in Vanity Fair) called I read The Help and LOVED it, Water for Elephants was good, but not as super as I thought it would be so I figured this service would help, but it doesn't appear to really work and now it's down.

Long story short, I'm now reading a wee bit of trash - Life with My Sister Madonna by Christopher Ciccone. So far it really is trash and not too much revealed that we don't already know.

message 32: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Stout | 1 comments I tried the same link for whatshouldireadnext and was unable to access it. :(

message 33: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments Good news - the "whatshouldireadnext" site just worked for me. Maybe they got a wee bit bombarded after the VF shoutout?

Oops, and now it's not working again.

message 34: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (LuckyKelleyK) | 5 comments I am currently 23% into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Honestly, I am not really enjoying it yet. I am hoping that the story will get more interesting, because I am going to finish the book either way.

message 35: by Al (new)

Al | 12 comments For me, the character of Lisbeth Salander made The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo work. I agree that there were some longish parts to the narrative. If you give it one thumb up at the end, there's hope left. I thought the second was better and the third best of all--three thumbs up?

message 36: by Adele (new)

Adele Clagett | 5 comments I am currently reading Victory Cover by our own author Maureen Miller and listening to Dragonfly in Amber (although I have put it down for a bit).

For those looking for a blog and are die-hard Kindlers - There is the "A Kindle World Blog" to subscribe to.

message 37: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (LuckyKelleyK) | 5 comments Al wrote: "For me, the character of Lisbeth Salander made The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo work. I agree that there were some longish parts to the narrative. If you give it one thumb up at the end, there's hop..."
Well, she hasn't been in the book much yet, so there is hope that it will get better. I have heard that the second book in the series is better than the first.

message 38: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments Quick questions: is everyone reading the Steig Larssen's "The Girl..." trilogy books because they are good or because everyone else is reading them? It just seems that there isn't an overwhelming majority of readers raving about the books, yet they are on everyone's "read" or "to read" list.

message 39: by Al (new)

Al | 12 comments I'm reading them because I liked them. I'll probably read them again. But note in my comments above that I qualified my recommendation--twice, in fact. It took me a long time to get to vol. 1 because a book group recommended it, and I generally avoid what everyone else is reading. (EX. of a time when I didn't that I should have: Middlesex.)

message 40: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments Yup,got your comments, Al - and they are appreciated. Just wanted to know what others thought of the series.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 25, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Just starting The Help and A is for Alibi

message 42: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments TC - I LOVED The Help!!!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

F1Wild wrote: "TC - I LOVED The Help!!!"

So far I love it too! Pulled me in right away because of the voice.

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (marianslibrary) | 6 comments My husband and I both have Kindles. He just finished reading, The 13th Hour: A Thriller, on his and I'm going to start reading, Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt on mine.

message 45: by F1Wild (new)

F1Wild | 23 comments T.C. wrote: "F1Wild wrote: "TC - I LOVED The Help!!!"
So far I love it too! Pulled me in right away because of the voice.

I hear rumors that they will be doing a movie of it, which would be awesome!

message 46: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (LuckyKelleyK) | 5 comments I have a question about The Help (I read the sample). Is the entire book written in the same narrators voice? I understand the purpose of it, but I find it distracting.

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Nicoll | 1 comments It is written in the POV of three different characters: two of the maids and one of the white women (Skeeter, I think her name is. I don't have the book in front of me). The POV changes from chapter to chapter.

message 48: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (Juanita19) Kelley wrote: "I am currently 23% into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Honestly, I am not really enjoying it yet. I am hoping that the story will get more interesting, because I am going to finish the book eithe..."

It definitely picks up! I felt the same when I started it; felt it a very odd beginning. I am ever so glad I stuck with it! Both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire were far by two of the best books I read in 2009.

message 49: by Al (new)

Al | 12 comments The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is the best of the three, IMO.

message 50: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (Juanita19) Al wrote: "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is the best of the three, IMO. "

I've pre-ordered The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest for Kindle and cannot wait!!!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Barracuda (other topics)
The Legend of Witch Bane (other topics)
The Mists of Avalon (other topics)
The Help (other topics)
A is for Alibi (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dolen Perkins-Valdez (other topics)
Alan Brennert (other topics)
Gao Xingjian (other topics)
Reginald Fleming Johnston (other topics)