Mrs. Gallagher's Book Group discussion

Water for Elephants
This topic is about Water for Elephants
Liz Woldring's Book Review

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Woldring | 3 comments I chose to read the book "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen for my free read. This book has two different perspectives. It starts off talking about an old man in a nursing home. The man's name is Jacob and he is over 90 years old. He gets in a fight with another man called Joseph McGuinty because he claims to have carried water for elephants. It also happens to be the week that the circus is in town. Later that evening Jacob tells the nurse about how he used to work in the circus. This is where the story starts. Jacob was going to school at Cornell when he heard news that both of his parents had been killed. From this point the whole world changes. He can't finish his final exams. He decides to run off and he jumps onto a train. The train happens to be a circus train and Jacob gets a job there. The circus is called "The Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show On Earth". He becomes the circus vet. At one stop the circus picks up an elephant. This elephant changes Jacob's life forever. Jacob is in love with this girl in the circus named Marlena. The only problem is she is married to a man named August who is very violent. The rest of the book goes through a lot of twists and turns. You will have to read the rest to see what happens at the end! This plot is exciting and you will never want to put it down. It is a very mature book but it is a great read. The author makes you feel all of the emotions that Jacob and the rest of the characters feel. You will never read another book like it! I would recommend this book to anyone.

unread topics | mark unread