Twilight Twilight discussion

toxic waste

Comments (showing 1-50 of 206) (206 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by marc (last edited Jan 15, 2013 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

marc i hate this book. i do not hate it because everyone is doing so, i hate it because i read it myself, and i believe that it contains poisonous messages about gender and relationships.

i have heard fans of this book rave about how perfect the character Edward is, and how they are in love with him. i find this extremely bizarre, because there is actually no character content at all, beyond the idea that he is supposed to be impossibly beautiful. the figure is not a character at all, it contains no personality or inner mechanism, apart from the weird ways it insistently inflicts itself on Bella.

the interactions between Bella and Edward are extremely limited. the foundation for the legitimacy of their adult relationship is based on the flimsy premise that because they feel magnetically attracted to one another, that therefore they are meant to be together. this is nonsensical and a recipe for disaster in intimate relationships. do you really want your daughter to be reading this glorification of unhealthy relationships, at an age when she is beginning to think about adult exchanges with men?

if you flatten down the supernatural content, you are left with the framework for an unhealthy, abusive relationship. Edward actually stalks Bella, hangs around outside her house, but rather than being presented as weird and scary, it is seen as being exciting and romantic, because he is a vampire. well just try to imagine that he is not a vampire for a moment and you will see that it is actually scary. he attacks her competency and self sufficiency, he tells her that she is disaster prone and that she would not be able to survive without him taking care of her. not only that, but he represents the greatest threat to her, in that he is afraid that by loving her, he will kill her. her only way out is to presumably be inducted into his "knowledge". she is not able to obtain her own agency, but only through him. she has no agency at all in this book, she cant do anything, she has no effect on her world, she is simply moved through it by stronger forces.

the character of Bella is vapid and unrealistic. she mentions the idea of consuming Wuthering Heights in an afternoon for a bit of fun. that is sheer nonsense. Wuthering Heights is not an afternoon read and it is not a bit of fun. it is a challenging and disturbing, historically important piece of english literature. is this supposed to make me believe that Bella is intelligent? it is a transparent device and it makes her look incredibly fake. it encourages readers to identify with the idea of their own literacy without actually pursuing development of genuine literary competency. i cant really remember any other character marker. is there any other character marker at all?

it is a nasty piece of rubbish. it depicts an unhealthy, immature relationship style, as though this type of relationship is appealing and worthy. it is a disgrace to adult romance genre fiction. please, open your eyes and stop loving it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2013 11:52PM) (new)

this is gona get messy *pulls out umbrella*

message 3: by Redd (new) - rated it 1 star

Redd Kaiman Makes you think about true villainy in society: us

We created this monster...

Check out my webcomic. Updates every Thursday: reddkaiman.blogspot.com

((Savanha)) Baylor wrote: "this is gona get messy *pulls out umbrella*"

LOL!!!

Meghan Beverly I'm glad someone see the same mess I do! (I'm new to the site and am totally finding some kindred souls here). I enjoyed reading them at first. Twilight was an easy read. However, when discussing with friends and hearing the same "Team Edward" nonsense, it made me think. If this man actually existed and behaved this way, I'd call the cops! How is this sexy and romantic? He treated Bella like an invalid and stalked her. When I brought this up in discussions I would follow it up with the question "Wouldn't you be disturbed if someone did this to you?" and my friends said no. Ugh, so frustrating.

Brooke Toxic waste? *applauds*

Bawan arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Is your name actually Bawan? BECAUSE THAT IS SO FREAKIN COOL!

Goshgirl Whoa, I didn't think any boys would read Twilight, and I NEVER would have thought they'd admit to it. THIS IS EPIC!!! Your such a LEGEND! ;D

Bawan Goshgirl wrote: "Whoa, I didn't think any boys would read Twilight, and I NEVER would have thought they'd admit to it. THIS IS EPIC!!! Your such a LEGEND! ;D"

thanks I just found the romance and the vampires so cute and amazing. By the way why pikacu what about tepig

Bawan Baylor wrote: "Is your name actually Bawan? BECAUSE THAT IS SO FREAKIN COOL!"

Yeah my dad wanted a weird name in the family.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

score lolz i like it:)

message 13: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Stitch i agree that edward's action are boarderline stalking, but i like that their love wasnt based on sex. i am so sick of reading, seeing etc about teenagers dating and hopping into bed the first chance they get. they actually took the time to get to know each other and really care. i like the idea of vampires mixing in with modern society.

Brooke Maybe I'd like it better if Bella wasn't such a pathetic, can't-live-without-a-man Mary Sue.

message 15: by James (new) - added it

James goy i have read twilight and i do not hate it but i also do not love it.not my favoritete book.i found it meant for teen girls.as for the movie everyone is saying it was bad.i have news for you.i have seen movies that were a whole lot worse.

Gabby Well, I'm going to pretend I never looked at this.

You have the right to have an opinion, but you have absolutely no right to
a) Insult others reading types
b) Tell us to "Open our eyes" to something we may not want to
c) "do you really want your daughter to be reading this glorification of unhealthy relationships, at an age when she is beginning to think about adult exchanges with men?" Excuse you? I may not have a daughter, but i am one and i read this at 11. I DO NOT THINK THIS! You have no right to tell others, what there children can read. You can have an opinion, but you cannot tell others and expect them to listen.

nuff said.

message 17: by Goshgirl (last edited Jan 19, 2013 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Goshgirl Bawan wrote: "Goshgirl wrote: "Whoa, I didn't think any boys would read Twilight, and I NEVER would have thought they'd admit to it. THIS IS EPIC!!! Your such a LEGEND! ;D"

thanks I just found the romance and..."

Nice ;D I like pikachu, hes so CUUUUUTE!!! and I'd never heard of Tepig before now.

message 18: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Goshgirl wrote: "Bawan wrote: "Goshgirl wrote: "Whoa, I didn't think any boys would read Twilight, and I NEVER would have thought they'd admit to it. THIS IS EPIC!!! Your such a LEGEND! ;D"

thanks I just found th..."

interesting..

message 19: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia :)(gm 2 everyone.)

message 20: by Ida (new) - rated it 1 star

Ida Bawan wrote: "arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that"

Actually it might be potentially disturbing. Just don't take your romantic cues from Edward... or Jacob... or Bella for that matter. Trust me on this. You don't want to end up becoming a douche.

I'm flabbergasted people even think Twilight is original. Bella and Edward's story isn't very unique, you can find relationships like theirs in a lot of harlequin novels.

And yeah, toxic waste is an precise description of these books. If Bella hadn't been so physically attracted to Edward she would probably have been horrified at his stalking and controlling behaviour. Mike Newton was refereed to ass a dog because he appeared to like her and followed her around, but when Edward admits to stalking her she's "flattered."

Sweetie, a man who disrespects your right to privacy is not something to be flattered about. This is your cue to get as far away from him as possible.

message 21: by Gerd (last edited Jan 19, 2013 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd marc wrote: "do you really want your daughter to be reading this glorification of unhealthy relationships, at an age when she is beginning to think about adult exchanges with men?"

Heck, I wouldn't even want my daughter to think about adult exchanges with men. :D

Oh, and please, please, please, do me the favour to use capitals when you begin a new sentence, because that is something I would want my daughters to learn. :)

message 22: by Jocelyn (last edited Jan 19, 2013 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jocelyn Gerd wrote: "Oh, and please, please, please, do me the favour to use capitals when you begin a new sentence, because that is something I would want my daughters to learn. :)"

I agree! It just pisses me off when people can't bring themselves to push the stupid Shift button already. Just do it!! It makes it SO much easier to read if you do!

message 23: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae I read this book when I was in fourth or fifth grade and loved it. I didn't have many novels to compare it to, or many characters that I've read to compare them to. Because of that, I didn't notice: How very little character traits Bella and others had, that the stalking thing that Edward was doing should set off the alarms in my head, how Bella really doesn't do too many things that are heroic, realize how much immortal life would suck, or other such things. What I did notice was love, how awesome it could be to be a vampire (now I think it would completely suck to be one), and that Bella had really, really hurt her father. I then sped read through the second and third book (they were boring, and I can't remember too much else about them). But I loved the first and last book, because all I could see was love, hope, and vampire powers. What can I say? It's hard to see with all the sparkles blinding your eyes.

message 24: by Mochaspresso (last edited Jan 19, 2013 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mochaspresso Jocelyn wrote: "Gerd wrote: "Oh, and please, please, please, do me the favour to use capitals when you begin a new sentence, because that is something I would want my daughters to learn. :)"

I agree! It just piss..."

The shift key can be a bit of a pain to use when typing from certain cell phones or tablets.

message 25: by Zoran (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar Bawan wrote: "arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that"

Hm. Just wondering, can liking certain type of books (or films, maybe even music?) be described as transgender behaviour?

Jocelyn The shift key can be a bit of a pain to use when typing from certain cell phones or tablets.

That's true. It's really more of a personal pet peeve of mine, not exactly a real fault in other people. But sometimes when people don't capitalize it makes it kind of annoying to read.

Brooke Jocelyn wrote: "The shift key can be a bit of a pain to use when typing from certain cell phones or tablets.

That's true. It's really more of a personal pet peeve of mine, not exactly a real fault in other people..."

Agreed...
Jacob frequently claims he is "healthier" for Bella, but is that really true? Granted, he doesn't climb into her bedroom at night and watch her sleep, but he DOES force a kiss on her.

message 28: by Bawan (last edited Jan 19, 2013 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bawan Listen Just because Twilight isn't as perfect as the hunger games or biff and chip doesn't mean you should hate twilight for the rest of your days. Bella isn't a mary sue. If she is then you might as well call every female character that isn't in a dystopian world/novel.

Bawan Goshgirl wrote: "Bawan wrote: "Goshgirl wrote: "Whoa, I didn't think any boys would read Twilight, and I NEVER would have thought they'd admit to it. THIS IS EPIC!!! Your such a LEGEND! ;D"

thanks I just found th..."

Tepig is a fire pokemon that my 4 year old brother always talks about

Bawan Mocha Spresso wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "Gerd wrote: "Oh, and please, please, please, do me the favour to use capitals when you begin a new sentence, because that is something I would want my daughters to learn. :)"

I agr..."

Zoran wrote: "Bawan wrote: "arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that"

Hm. Just wondering, can liking certain type ..."

I am not a gay. I only like twilight because of the vampires werewolves and romance. And if you don't want male teenagers reading sexist books that are called girl books then you read enid blyton forever. Oh and get off goodreads and go on anti boys reading "girl" books.

message 31: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae Zoran wrote: "Bawan wrote: "arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that"

Hm. Just wondering, can liking certain type ..."

Wow, that's harsh. Not to mention offensive.

I'm struggling not to say something offensive in reply.

Bawan Shae wrote: "Zoran wrote: "Bawan wrote: "arghhhhh stop hating twilight ahate on Adam Blade or Daisy something. Twilight is good. And that's big for a teenager boy saying that"

Hm. Just wondering, can liking..."

what do you mean me saying that sexism is bad or person who barely knows me calling me gay

message 33: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae I'm talking about what Zoran said. ^^

Bawan thank you I am gett so angry every time people laugh when I read a "girl" book.

Katelyn Pitcher I actually enjoyed these books when I first read them, granted I was only 11 and these were my first real YA books. Only after I read some quality YA books did I start to hate these books. I realized the romance was crap, the main character was annoying and the mythology was just plain...boring. The storyline was badly written and there was nothing in it that I enjoy anymore.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Katelyn wrote: "I actually enjoyed these books when I first read them, granted I was only 11 and these were my first real YA books. Only after I read some quality YA books did I start to hate these books. I realiz..."

I agree! That's my thoughts exactly.

message 37: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Harmon Gabby wrote: "Well, I'm going to pretend I never looked at this.

You have the right to have an opinion, but you have absolutely no right to
a) Insult others reading types
b) Tell us to "Open our eyes" to some..."

Gee a temper tantrum from a Twilight fan...how original and unexpected...
Yeah That's sarcasm.

People hate Twilight because its terribly written, full of terrible and dangerous messages as well as completely ripping off and then twisting upside down other peoples work...Joss Whedon should have Meyer executed for stealing his ideas then changing it from strong, dominant, intelligent women standing on their own to weak-willed, wishy washy, IQ challenged victims of male abuse in a book that uses the word chuckled 400 times.

Katelyn Pitcher Ashby wrote: "Katelyn wrote: "I actually enjoyed these books when I first read them, granted I was only 11 and these were my first real YA books. Only after I read some quality YA books did I start to hate these..."

I really think this book is only good as a gateway book for people who haven't read much of YA.

message 39: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Paul wrote: "Gee a temper tantrum from a Twilight fan...how original and unexpected..."

Gee, isn't complaining about lack of originality in a thread complaining about twilight not, say, redundant?

message 40: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Harmon If Twilight isn't toxic then name me one other book in history that spawned a web site where adult woman end perfectly healthy relationships in favor of Twilight...that is dangerous..that is creating a generation or more of women who will not being functional inside a normal healthy relationship. BTW I'm referring to the MLIT or My Life is Twilight phenomenon.
I've had adult friends "disown" me for having issues with Twilight...that's not normal behavior. Giving up real life for a badly written Romance novel is not normal behavior.

message 41: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Harmon Bawan wrote: "thank you I am gett so angry every time people laugh when I read a "girl" book."

Yes, sorry friend but they don't put giant red roses on the cover of "boy" books and they don't market romance novels to "boys" either. It's ok that you're that sensitive though, but at least face the truth about it.

If you want a great romance though try Wurthering Heights its a classic. Or Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing TWO great romances in one story.

message 42: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Paul wrote: "If Twilight isn't toxic then name me one other book in history that spawned a web site where adult woman end perfectly healthy relationships in favor of Twilight..."

How healthy could that relationship have been to begin with if it could be ended by a simple book?

Anna-Kathrin marc wrote: "i hate this book. i do not hate it because everyone is doing so, i hate it because i read it myself, and i believe that it contains poisonous messages about gender and relationships.

i have heard ..."

Thank you for writing this, couldn't have put it better myself. I completely agree with you.

Bawan Anna-Kathrin wrote: "marc wrote: "i hate this book. i do not hate it because everyone is doing so, i hate it because i read it myself, and i believe that it contains poisonous messages about gender and relationships.
thank you for being someone whodoesn't want to create anti twilight websites
..."

Bawan Paul wrote: "Bawan wrote: "thank you I am gett so angry every time people laugh when I read a "girl" book."

Yes, sorry friend but they don't put giant red roses on the cover of "boy" books and they don't mark..."

no what I mean is if a girl is on a cover it's agirl book and visa versa. I wantto be able to read books like twilight iron king and chemical gardens and not be called gay

message 46: by Mochaspresso (last edited Jan 19, 2013 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mochaspresso Paul wrote: "If Twilight isn't toxic then name me one other book in history that spawned a web site where adult woman end perfectly healthy relationships in favor of Twilight...that is dangerous..that is creati..."

There are women who write to serial killers on death row. Some of them even go on to marry them. Crazy people exist in the world. They always have and probably always will. Twilight didn't create that. Don't delude yourself into think that those relationships that ended were "healthy" because if a woman ended it in favor of book.....it most certainly was not healthy because the people involved were not playing with full decks, if you catch my drift. Twilight didn't make those women crazy. They already were crazy. The guys involved should probably be thanking Stephanie Meyer from saving them from something more disastrous than being dumped over a book.

message 47: by Zoran (last edited Jan 19, 2013 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar Shae wrote: "

I'm struggling not to say something offensive in reply. "

I didn't mean to offend anyone. If a certain behaviour is typical for a certain gender - for example, wearing certain type of clothes - then it is considered to be transgender if it is performed by person of opposite gender.

For example, wearing a skirt. There is no reason why men shouldn't wear them, but it is considered transgender if we do, because wearing them is typical for females.

So, there is no reason why it would be any different with books or movies.

And, again, I am not trying to offend anyone, because I don't even think that transgender behaviour is something bad, so I can't really use it as an offence. It's just a question of statistics and social customs.

message 48: by Shae (last edited Jan 19, 2013 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae Zoran wrote:

I didn't mean to offend anyone. If a certain behaviour is typical for a certai..."

Sorry, but it just seemed an offensive thing to say.
And simply because you don't think it's offensive doesn't mean that it isn't. For example, I don't think that being weird is a bad thing, so when I say it I don't mean it as an offence. But to other people, it could be considered as something offensive.
-------
I'm a girl, and yet I love video games, I've played with nerf guns, played pokemon, and like the color blue. Aren't those typically boy things? And yet, I don't think that it makes me transgender. I still wear skirts, have long(ish) hair, and adore stuffed animals.
When I think of transgender, it makes me think of the times when a boy is, well, a girl inside. Or vice versa. When it's to the point where the person wants a gender change. So I apologize if I've offended you at all when I thought you were being offensive.

message 49: by Nuran (last edited Jan 19, 2013 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nuran Zoran wrote: "Shae wrote: "

I'm struggling not to say something offensive in reply. "

I didn't mean to offend anyone. If a certain behaviour is typical for a certai..."

Transgender has nothing to do with taste or behaviour. It's to do with whether you feel like a male or female or other. Guys are allowed to like romance, the same way girls are allowed to like horror. There's less pressure to conform to culture expectations on how to behave depending on your sex. Are girls who wear trousers transgender??? People probably thought that when girls started wearing them, but then society wisen up and realised they were making a big deal out of nothing. The same way you're making a big deal out of nothing.

You can judge his reading taste from liking twilight but don't judge his sexuality or sex from a book.

message 50: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae Um... Just a quick note. Being transgender does not mean that you're gay. ^^

« previous 1 3 4 5

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)