The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
This topic is about Unravel Me
79 views
Books of 2013 > Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Discuss the next book in the 'Shatter Me' series here!!

(Secretly code for FANGIRL ABOUT ADAM AND WARNER) :D


message 2: by Isabelle, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabelle (Potterwholockian) | 1413 comments Mod
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS BOOK.


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments I just finished Shatter Me and I didn't like it that much but I want to read this book just to see what happens to Warner. He intrigues me.


Melissa | 862 comments Warner is a sociopath, and his obsession with Juliet is creepy (although I've heard that the novella explains his personality a bit)


message 5: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "Warner is a sociopath, and his obsession with Juliet is creepy (although I've heard that the novella explains his personality a bit)"

It does. I feel for Warner because though I cannot condone the way he treated Juliet, the way his father has treated him and how his life is makes me see that if given the chance, he could be a better person. He has a lot more depth as a character, I think, when you search a little. In the novella, the way he connects with Juliet (from his POV) seems less creepy (than it was from Juliet's POV) because he relates to her and sees her almost like his soulmate.


Melissa | 862 comments The way he treated her was inexcusable though, maybe once I read the novella I will have a different opinion


message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "The way he treated her was inexcusable though, maybe once I read the novella I will have a different opinion"

Oh, it was inexcusable, no doubts. And I definitely think he will have a long way to go to make up for what he has done. But I think there is some good in him.


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments I just think the other characters aren't very interesting and Warner is a sociopath and a creeper but we know nothing about him, so I am curious. I'll probably read the ebook since it'd from his point of view,


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Ok I just read the read the first 12 chapters of Unravel Me on the Shatter Me facebook page and I just died... horrible horrible cliffhanger at the end of chapter 12... Ah


message 10: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Ok I just read the read the first 12 chapters of Unravel Me on the Shatter Me facebook page and I just died... horrible horrible cliffhanger at the end of chapter 12... Ah"

Really?! Can you post up the link pretty please? *flutters eyelashes*


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments https://www.facebook.com/shattermeboo...
Here and just like the page!
Yep it was amazing and I think I just died over the sudden need for this book!!!


message 12: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
FOUND IT!! I think this may be the link: http://on.fb.me/10EQYLT


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Yep and if you read it tell me what you think!


message 14: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
*still reading* Adam...gosh that is SO hot...*fans herself*...aww!...*sniffles*...NO JULIETTE DON'T LET HIM LEAVE DAMMIT...*stares at screen*...KENJI!!!...*laughs*


message 15: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
I finished reading the excerpts and O...M...G. THAT CLIFFHANGER!!!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments I know right, I mean it finally explains stuff and Adman hasn't said anything yet about this and now Juliette's confused and I'm confused and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!


message 17: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "I know right, I mean it finally explains stuff and Adman hasn't said anything yet about this and now Juliette's confused and I'm confused and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!"

I know Adam's great, and so is Warner...

But can we talk - for just a minute - about the awesomeness that is KENJI?!

He was SO SO SO funny!!

'“Are you kidding?” I stop in the middle of the kitchen. Spin around. My face is pulled together in disbelief. “You’ve spoken to me maybe once in the two weeks I’ve been here. I hardly even notice you anymore.”

“Okay, hold up,” he says, turning to block my path. “We both know there’s no way you haven’t noticed all of this”—he gestures to himself—“so if you’re trying to play games with me, I should let you know up front that it’s not going to work.”

“What?” I frown. “What are you talking abou—”

“You can’t play hard to get, kid.” He raises an eyebrow. “I can’t even touch you. Takes ‘hard to get’ to a whole new level, if you know what I mean.”

“Oh my God,” I mouth, eyes closed, shaking my head. “You are insane.”

He falls to his knees. “Insane for your sweet, sweet love!”


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Booknut wrote: "JaneLovesBooks wrote: "I know right, I mean it finally explains stuff and Adman hasn't said anything yet about this and now Juliette's confused and I'm confused and I'm FREAKING OUT!!!!"

I know ..."


I know right!!! I was laughing SO hard!
Yeah Adam and Warner are awesome, but Warner hasn't shown up in Unravel me yet :(


message 19: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Another Kenji:

"The man is moody as hell.”
“I am not moody—”
“Yeah, bro.” Kenji puts his utensils down. “You are moody. It’s always ‘Shut up, Kenji.’ ‘Go to sleep, Kenji.’ ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—”

And more Kenji!!

“Please—please get up—and lower your voice—”
“Hell no.”
“Why not?” I’m pleading now.
“Because if I lower my voice, I won’t be able to hear myself speak. And that,” he says, “is my favorite part.”

And yeah - super bummed about the fact Warner hasn't made an appearance yet. But hopefully we'll unlock the next excerpt...before February 5th!!! It's close!!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments ‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—
I laughed SO hard and he is totally obsessed with himself;f and it is hilarious!

8 Days but I want NOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! I hope we get the next except!

Here are two spoiler videos by the author:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMJUD...

I don't know what to think...AHHHHH


message 21: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "‘No one wants to see you naked, Kenji.’ When I know for a fact that there are thousands of people who would love to see me naked—
I laughed SO hard and he is totally obsessed with himself;f and it ..."


What. The. Hell?!!

Warner...Warner...*mind blown*

Did I mention how much I love Tahereh?!

"Fun fact #1 about pomegranates: Pomegranates are awesome.
Fun fact #2: Pomegranates are like little explosions of awesome in your mouth.
Fun fact #3: Alot of people think you're not supposed to eat the seeds of a pomegranate - but that's not true, people who tell you that are liars, and they don't know anything about life, and they should never be trusted." :D


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Oh my Gosh I cannot believe that that happens to Warner, I mean how did he.... AHH

She is totally Incredible!!!

I actually kept laughing during that video, 'Fun Facts' are awesome!


message 23: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Oh my Gosh I cannot believe that that happens to Warner, I mean how did he.... AHH

She is totally Incredible!!!

I actually kept laughing during that video, 'Fun Facts' are awesome!"


I think I need my ears cleaned out.

Or my hearing checked. Pronto.

Because I could have SWORN Tahereh said:

"Juliette and Warner totally get it on."


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Yeaaaahhhhhh she did and btw way if you go watch this they read an except of Unravel Me and it is apparently the part where they 'get it on' (with quote fingers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wshi2d...
P.S. skip to 8 mins and yes they talk about cupcakes first but they relate to the book


OH MY GOSH WHAT THE HECK!!!!!


message 25: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Analysing video time!!

First - pomegranates.

Whether or not anyone *cough* Juliette and Warner *cough* actually consume said fruit, is debatable. I can't exactly picture a scene where he and Juliette sit down, have a nice picnic and whip out a lovely pomegranate and share it without Juliette using the knife to dismember him.

But Tahereh mentioned that some people (a.k.a Internet) think that the fruit is an aphrodisiac. An aphrodisiac is "a substance that increases desire (view spoiler). The name comes from Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of sexuality and love. However, from a historical and scientific standpoint, the alleged results may have been mainly due to mere belief by their users that they would be effective." (Wikipedia)

In other words...it's only as effective as the users WANT it to be.

Which may mean one of three things:
1.) Juliette and Warner (under the influence of a drug, something of the like, wine or pomegranates) get it on.
2.) Juliette and Warner (believing themselves/one of them to be under the influence of something) get it on.
3.) Juliette and Warner (WANT to) get it on.

Either way, Tahereh has made it clear that they do 'get it on'.

Which leads to the next question: Where the hell is Adam and what does he think of all of this?!

And also: Why would Juliette and Warner be in proximity to one another? And why would Juliette get it on with Warner? Why would she kiss him? Does this mean he is ACTUALLY immune?

Which leads to the biggest questions of all: WHY DOES TAHEREH GIVE US SUCH HEART WRENCHING SPOILERS?!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments I have developed a list of questions:
Well first we know that Warner somehow gets captured, does this have anything to do with 'getting it on'?

How can he touch her?

Where is Adam?

Why would this happen? she hates him!

Who starts it? because again she hates him and is obsessed with her

Where is Adam!?!?!?!?

What happens before this? because that doesn't happen til chapter 2 like 3/4 though the book

Why must I die like this?

WHY MUST SPOILERS BE THIS EVIL AND HEART WRENCHING?!?!

Excuse me while I go and die because I don't have this book... AHHHHHHHH


message 27: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
I love the girls in the video!!! I need a cupcake too after hearing THAT!!!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Me too, ahhhh
Yeah the Epic Reads girls are amazing they do Tea Time every Wednesday!


message 29: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Me too, ahhhh
Yeah the Epic Reads girls are amazing they do Tea Time every Wednesday!"


They are amazing - and incredibly lucky! I wanted them to keep reading ;)


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Yeah but they can't read the whole thing sadly :(
Plus they get a bunch of ARC for free because they work for the publisher and they get this book and Requiem and a bunch of others. They are awesome and lucky!


message 31: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Yeah but they can't read the whole thing sadly :(
Plus they get a bunch of ARC for free because they work for the publisher and they get this book and Requiem and a bunch of others. They are awesom..."


I see my future occupation very clearly now!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Booknut wrote: "JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Yeah but they can't read the whole thing sadly :(
Plus they get a bunch of ARC for free because they work for the publisher and they get this book and Requiem and a bunch of ..."


I know me too! I totally want to have there job at Harper Collins!!


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Except 6 was unlocked for Unravel Me!!!
*sneaks away to go read it and is freaking out*


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments New Spoiler Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...
What. The. Heck. I wish I new how this stuff happens because some of the spoilers really don't make sense yet!


Lady Poppy | 367 comments I'm excited to read this! Just finished destroy me, and now I don't hate Warner anymore :D


Melissa | 862 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "I'm excited to read this! Just finished destroy me, and now I don't hate Warner anymore :D"

I recently read Destroy Me as well and I don't hate him per-se but he is still all kinds of crazy. Literally, what was up with him hallucinating?


message 37: by JanussaLovesBooks (last edited Feb 01, 2013 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "I'm excited to read this! Just finished destroy me, and now I don't hate Warner anymore :D"

Yeah that's what most people say after they finsh Destroy Me I really liked it.

3 Days, SO SOON!!!!


message 38: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Lady Poppy wrote: "I'm excited to read this! Just finished destroy me, and now I don't hate Warner anymore :D"

Yeah that's what most people say after they finsh Destroy Me I really liked it.

3 Da..."


I'm dying in anticipation!


Lady Poppy | 367 comments Eek! I'm very excited. Yeah, his creepiness diminished a bit because now he has a reason for loving her so much. However, he is becoming kind of creepy with his love for her. Meh. I agree, the hallucinations were a bit over the top.


message 40: by JanussaLovesBooks (last edited Feb 01, 2013 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "Eek! I'm very excited. Yeah, his creepiness diminished a bit because now he has a reason for loving her so much. However, he is becoming kind of creepy with his love for her. Meh. I agree, the hall..."

He's a very interesting character but he is kind of a psychopath when it comes to Juliette


Lady Poppy | 367 comments JaneLovesBooks wrote: "Lady Poppy wrote: "Eek! I'm very excited. Yeah, his creepiness diminished a bit because now he has a reason for loving her so much. However, he is becoming kind of creepy with his love for her. Meh..."

Agreed.


message 42: by Melissa (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:38PM) (new) - added it

Melissa | 862 comments I think it's nice to know he's not a total psycho (view spoiler)


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Yeah I think he is misunderstood and I think he is really only a psycho when it comes to him loving Juliette.


message 44: by Melissa (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:42PM) (new) - added it

Melissa | 862 comments Oh no I think he is a psycho in many aspects. Just not a hateful, cold hearted psycho.


Lady Poppy | 367 comments Melissa wrote: "Oh no I think he is a psycho in many aspects. Just not a hateful, cold hearted psycho."

Lol. True that.


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Yeah he tries to not be the worst person ever which is good, when you think of bad guys they are usually cold and heartless but he isn't totally heartless, it's interesting.


message 47: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Another 'spoiler' video here: http://exm.nr/WYEUz4


message 48: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Another link for the vid is here: http://youtu.be/a5c3Mc9_cbM


message 49: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4537 comments Mod
Tahereh hints at kissy scenes here: http://tfgeekgirl.com/2013/02/02/tahe...


JanussaLovesBooks (janussa) | 114 comments Booknut wrote: "Another link for the vid is here: http://youtu.be/a5c3Mc9_cbM"

Yeah, but if you read the first 14 chapters on fb you would already know that. Taherah Mafi is SO fun!


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread