1984 1984 discussion

New edition from Penguin has kick-ass cover

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Risko Check it out:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/12/386...

Looks neat. I might just order myself a new copy to replace my heavily worn out one.

Naiya I'm not a fan. I'm okay with the concept, but the execution and overall appearance, not so much.

Aside: When I first saw it, I thought that the gray was part of a tombstone (the date and the name) and admired the cleverness. Disappointed to realized it was meant to be a simple black-out.

Adam Bender Cool but I don't love that it's set against the typical orange Penguin background. Would be cooler if the background was just white (or had a subtle paper texture).

GreyJect I like it, but not as much as the Penguin UK design.

Scott It's not pretty but it is clever. The big blue eye is still my favorite, though.

Zayne K. It's very simple and neat. But I like the original design much better.

Redd Kaiman I'll look into it.

Check out my webcomic: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/

Mircea Vlad The new cover design is OK, but the anniversary edition, also from Penguin, is way better. http://greaterthanorequalto.net/blog/...

Risko Wow, the anniversary one is pretty nice indeed.

Feliks Actually the cover with the eyeball is the scariest one, for me. Woah.

message 11: by Erik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erik Grotz Anyone know why the old Penguin (2007 "throwback") were never sold in the USA? I loved the old design.

message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Bender Mircea wrote: "The new cover design is OK, but the anniversary edition, also from Penguin, is way better. http://greaterthanorequalto.net/blog/..."

That one is pretty great! Love the inside work as well.

Matthew Oh, very good.

Steve Wilcockson Nicely done but I will stick with my Illustrated copy.

SarahW I would almost get the book for the almost cyberpunk looking cover. Though I keep resisting due to the horribly unrealistic ending. This is a big reason I gave it four stars instead of five.

Griffin P. Sarah wrote: "I would almost get the book for the almost cyberpunk looking cover. Though I keep resisting due to the horribly unrealistic ending. This is a big reason I gave it four stars instead of five."

Why horribly unrealistic? I know it's far-fetched, and rats should not utterly destroy one's character, but my theory is that Winston's a little nuts anyway, so giving in to the party must be like letting go, something that is easier for people to do then keep fighting.

Sparrowlicious Um, I like the one I have:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/3...

Then again, everyone has a different taste when it comes to book covers.

message 18: by David (last edited Jan 29, 2014 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David The edition I own is the one without title or author's name at all, only the Three Slogans on the front, and repeated scribbles of Down with Bog Brither on the back. Anyone else has that?

message 19: by Feliks (last edited Jan 20, 2014 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks SarahW wrote: "Though I keep resisting due to the horribly unrealistic ending."

Its lurid; but makes perfect sense. Governments will always use any tool possible to crush the resistant individual. They are always in search of every tool possible; and when it comes right down to it, the last bastion of resistance lies only within our own psyche, our will, our souls. They won't stop there.

message 20: by Roberto (new) - added it

Roberto Acero David wrote: "The edition I own is the one without title or author's name al all, only the Three Slogans on the front, and repeated scribbles of Down with Bog Brither on the back. Anyone else has that?"

I want that cover. Where did you buy it?

David Oh I bought it in a bookstore in China. Here's a link to a book review that has the cover: http://thebookparade.blogspot.com/201...

Hope it helps you find a copy in your country.

Matthew Williams Yeah, its a little austere, but the subtext is brilliant. A blacked out title and author name? Clearly there are going for anachronistic, and succeeding!

David Wasn't a similar appreoach been made to the movie poster for Zero Dark Thirty?

Matthew Williams David wrote: "Wasn't a similar appreoach been made to the movie poster for Zero Dark Thirty?"

Makes perfect sense. It was a "black op" and the revelation of specific aspects of the mission was grounds for a lot of anger due to "state secrets", etc. Btw, love the profile pic! Wasn't that just the best line ever?:

"You're a psychopath."
"High function sociopath, with your number" (GRIN)

David We're digressing quite a bit... but what the heck. I remember in a scene from the 90s tv show Superman where Clark used his laser eyesight to read the words on a file that had been marker!censored out. Why don't governments simply destroy the paper files and replace them with minimalistic "Blah blah blah, end of story."?

Thanks for the compliment. My preferred avatar is actually a white square with an inked drawing of HLedger!Joker's eyes on it, but since this site's avatars are the narrow rectangle type I had to look elsewhere.

The only tv series I love even more than Sherlock is Hannibal.

Athelstan I really dig the new redacted cover. I think it fitting and apt for such a book as this. It is a wonderfully disturbing read and is much more applicable to today's manipulation of language in 24 hour news than it was in 1984. I consider Orwell the best writer of the 20th century. No debate.

The late Christopher Hitchens, more than any other author in modernity, truly understood what Orwell was getting at and closely emulated his style in themes and content. Hitchens also wrote "Why Orwell Matters", the best examination of Orwell's works and it's relevance to modern language.

David Hear hear.

I'm reading that book of Hitch's as well; have you read his Introduction for Animal Farm/Nineteen Eighty-Four before?

Becca I like the new cover, personally, but I don't like the orange. It's very typical of Penguin, and I feel like Penguin is taking over this book.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)