The Catcher in the Rye The Catcher in the Rye question

Holden Caulfield is a repetitive sunuvabitch
Leon RE Leon (last edited Jan 12, 2013 02:25PM ) Jan 12, 2013 04:48AM
He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is.

I adore Holden. He's opinionated and sassy.
For Christmas I was given a t-shirt that says "Holden Caulfield thinks you're a phony".

Stephan where do they sell it?
Feb 01, 2014 05:03AM

By far Salinger's absolute worst work. Why his worst writing gets the most praise is something that still baffles me.

Holden was nothing more than a complainer. There had been many times that I would of wanted to tell him to just suck it up, and that's life is a bitch and you really gotta deal with it, and not complain so god damn much. He thinks that everyone's a phony, while he himself is an emo kid, and thinks that he had such a hard life etc. I just really disliked this book so much. I would not red it ever again.

He may be repititive, but he is a pretty accurate repersentation of teenagers; we whine, complain, and repeat ourselves constantly.

Example: "School sucks. Homework is so stupid. What's the point? I mean, like, we're, like, never going to use geometry, like ever, in real life."

At least Holden Caulfield complains about life in a different way.

I think that, in their heads, a lot of people are repetitive SOBs. I know that I am.

Why shouldn't he be irritating? He's a kid, smarter than most, but that comes with its own set of problems. But he's a kid nonetheless.

Why is Holden Caulfield is a repetitive sunuvabitch? .... because we all are sometimes

@Emily: I call bullshit. My ex was molested, and I never heard him whine as much as Holden did (though the topic of sex made him uncomfortable). Holden is nothing like this; he spent a third of the book being unnaturally horny. He was never molested, he's just a whiny little shit.

I believe Holden was repetitive, but it was for good reason. I believe we all have certain words or phrases we use in our daily life. For example, I'm always saying the word really. Holden uses terms like madman. It's just a part of him.

Leon wrote: "He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is."
Holden ...? Is that you?

His repetitiveness is just part of his personality. I love this book very much and I even have his name tattooed on my back. Some people hate this book because Holden come off as jerk sometimes, but you have to realize he's 16 or 17. But he is a very sensitive boy who just doesn't know how to live in a world where everyone has to conform.

It's a love-hate relationship for me. At times, while I was reading the book, I said to myself "Yes Holden! I know exactly what you mean, I get you" but in other parts I was like "My God Holden, shut the hell up, you whiny bitch".

deleted member Jan 12, 2013 04:46PM   0 votes
*like* <-- my artificial like button
I am so far agreeing with all of the comments made here. I get him, but I don't, but that is what makes the insufferable kid so entertaining!

He really is one of the great fictional characters of any novel... repetitive I suppose but certainly compelling non the less.

Leon wrote: "He's so goddam repetitive and all. He's such a phony and all. It kills me. He's a madman. I swear to God he is."

Let's get married! I think I am in love.

He's egotistical and irritating, for sure.

I think you win, sir lol

Drives. Me. Insane. Don't get me wrong, I realize this is a classic and all, but for the life of me, I don't think I could make myself read it twice. It was rough enough the first time. If I see the word "phony" one more damn time.....

Just one of the many traits that make him interesting.

Look at all the attention Lindsey Lohan's antics earn her.

The kid was too far ahead of his time.
I mean, like

U_25x33
Brie Stoll I don't think so. I think that he is a whiny rich entitled little son of a bitch. and I do not like him. I wouldn't like him and I AM AHEAD OF HIS TIM...more
Jan 30, 2014 08:36AM

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Catcher in the Rye (other topics)