Pakistani Readers discussion

The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe)
This topic is about The Hobbit
Book of the Month > The hobbit

Comments (showing 1-50 of 84) (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Discuss away guys

Owaiz I was planning to read The Hobbit, but then I saw the movie. But I'm still going to read it. One month ain't enough though, I read araam se.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dont worry. You can read it as slow as you like. Just remember to tell us what you think as you go along :)

Maira | 4751 comments Mod
a wonderfull story with head strong characters. was my first thaught when i finished the book.

Owaiz Does anyone use kindle or any e-reading tool?

i have an e-reading app in my cell and laptop.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I use a kindle app and the iBooks app

Sairah wrote: "I use a kindle app and the iBooks app"

kindle is a little hard to find so i preffer epub or mobi or fb files.

Owaiz I use Kindle on my laptop, but hate the experience.

you should try mobireader for you laptop it is the best app beside adobe reader. it supports mobi files and is easy to operate.

Owaiz Kahan milay ga ye mobireader? :P

internet sa download kar lo for windowa 7or what ever window you use. is ki website ha you can find the link there very easyly.

Owaiz Internet? But I don't have a calculator.

??? not my problem. i told you the easy solution. now its up to you either a calcultor suits you or internet. :P

do let me know how it worked out for you. ;p

Owaiz Okay, found a calculator, bas itnernet nahi chal raha us par. :P

Sohaib | 6253 comments Just an excellent book and for those who have just seen the movie, "People you are in for a very very big treat if you read this book"!!

Owaiz Muhammad wrote: "Just an excellent book and for those who have just seen the movie, "People you are in for a very very big treat if you read this book"!!"

Is it the same with LOTR? This friend of mine made me watch LOTR ki sari movies, and then I watched the Hobbit. But someone told me I should read them all anyway, so that I don't miss out on poetry and stuff.

Sohaib | 6253 comments LOTR movies are great, absolutely great but once you read them you will laugh and be sad at the movies at the same time. Be warned though since its fiction with brain, the caracter development is slow and the gap between wars and battles is very long as compared to movies. So happy reading :)

Owaiz Chalo, I have the PDFs but I really find it hard reading on any medium that is not paper.

Sohaib | 6253 comments I had a softback book with annexures and addendums about languages and additional bridging stories of characters... I suggest you buy it... The fun starts on paper for me :)

Owaiz Yeah, definitely buying it.

Owaiz Can someone tell me what's the difference between these two

http://www.libertybooks.com/bookdetai...

They've different publication dates. what does that mean? And which one to go for.

And then there's this one

http://readings.com.pk/pages/BookDeta...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm guessing the publication dates refer to the date that edition was published. the actual story should be exactly the same for them all but they have different covers and possibly different pictures if the book had any pictures.

Owaiz Oh ok, thanks. :)

Sohaib | 6253 comments Owaiz wrote: "Can someone tell me what's the difference between these two

They've different publication ..."

If I were you I would prefer an older publication version... Or I could also suggest you to go to an old book shop and purchase it for half the price if you wanna save money :P.... I am very suspicious about 2012 publication books of Hobbit :\

Owaiz I heard there are 2 versions of The Hobbit. One that Tolkien published before LOTR and the other after it. In the latter, he made some adjustments or something so that they stay compatible or whatever.

if you want the orignal you would find it in 2nd hand book shops.

message 28: by Owaiz (last edited Jan 26, 2013 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Owaiz I'll probably go for the latest one.

Owaiz wrote: "I'll probably go for the latest one."

okay. you can ask the shop keeper about the addition you will buy they can guid you about it much better.

Sohaib | 6253 comments Owaiz wrote: "I heard there are 2 versions of The Hobbit. One that Tolkien published before LOTR and the other after it. In the latter, he made some adjustments or something so that they stay compatible or whate..."

Havent heard about that... but who cares?? Still liked the novel :P

Sohaib | 6253 comments Maira wrote: "Owaiz wrote: "I'll probably go for the latest one."

okay. you can ask the shop keeper about the addition you will buy they can guid you about it much better."

Nearly all the bookshop owners outside Islamabad, Lahore and karachi know nothing about the series not to mention the versions :P;(

nope. in some good book stores there are people to guid you. you just have to search for them they are usually in there office or somewhere in the shop.

Sohaib | 6253 comments Well I looked all the bookshops in Multan, My hometown. And not even a single shop owner knew anything about big series except Harry Potter after the Sixth installment... Infact I provided consultancy services to a few just to help them out :P

well i was telling you about lahore. i haven't visited any book shop in multan yet.

Sohaib | 6253 comments Maira wrote: "well i was telling you about lahore. i haven't visited any book shop in multan yet."

Hehehe I know :)... No probs :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone started reading the hobbit?

i have read it already. should i re-read it?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

umm your choice really. or you could just participate in the discussions :) just no spoilers please :)

okay great. but i would love to give some spoilers ;p

Owaiz I started today and liking it so far.

its a funny book but a great one indeed :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading it as a child but i didn't get it and found it boring but i started it again now and im wondering what on earth I was thinking then. Its pretty funny and I really like the writing style :)

Hows everyone else getting on?

Owaiz Sairah wrote: "I started reading it as a child but i didn't get it and found it boring but i started it again now and im wondering what on earth I was thinking then. Its pretty funny and I really like the writing..."

I totally agree. I was told that while his books have great story, they are boring and difficult to understand. Whoever told me that was totally wrong though. I'm loving Hobbit.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

@Owaiz some people just dont get it :p

I've read a little of the lord of the rings so I get slightly excited when I recognise a character from there :P

Owaiz I think our next series should be LOTR. And I'm hoping I'll be able to finish reading The Hobbit in 2 weeks.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The hunger games series ends next month so after that I'll ask for suggestions n a vote :)

although I find the series reads really slow :/ I finish a book and then I feel like I'm waiting forever to read the next one so that it I'm in time with the month thingys.

Owaiz I think it is good that way. We have the option to read the series that the group is reading or the standalone book. And if we finish early we can read whatever else we want. Even take a head start on the next series. Watcha think?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Put it that way it is a good idea and i guess it allows me to cut down on the amount of to-read books i have

Owaiz Yeah!

message 50: by Owaiz (last edited Feb 19, 2013 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Owaiz Finished reading. Not bad. Given all the LOTR hype, I was expecting a lot more. Turns out, this was a children's story. I'm excited for LOTR though.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread