The Study of the Mind: A Psychological Book Club discussion

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
This topic is about Quiet
Archives > Jan/Feb 2013 BoTHM Discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Courtney Discussion of the book here

Tia (proceedcyclone) | 14 comments I read Quiet in November and loved it. I am interested in hearing what extroverts think of it, though.

Kme_17 | 1 comments I am reading this now and love it. However I would be interested in what extroverts think to Tia.

Esse (paradisecity) | 12 comments I'm looking forward to reading this! I started reading The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World a few years ago, but I had to get rid of the book after we got bedbugs from our neighbors. It was really interesting and I've been wanting to read more on the topic since. I also heard Susan Cain's TED Talk and was intrigued.

Esse (paradisecity) | 12 comments If you are a sensitive sort, then you’re more apt than the average person to feel pleasantly overwhelmed by Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” or a well-turned phrase or an act of extraordinary kindness. You may be quicker than others to feel sickened by violence and ugliness, and you likely have a very strong conscience.

This description really resonated with me. I never thought of these qualities of being part of introversion, but it makes sense. It's also a handy way to explain potential differences between partners.

Esse (paradisecity) | 12 comments Is anyone else reading this? Thoughts from any readers?

Tia (proceedcyclone) | 14 comments I'd borrowed my copy from the library, otherwise I would have marked my favorite parts and shared those.

Overall, what I really liked from the book was the lesser known attributes of introverts as supported by statistics and the idea of embracing yours, whatever they were, because they were you, not what society expected of you, and how that would make you happier.

Brittany | 2 comments I saw Susan Cain speak live a couple of weeks ago to promote her book and she was wonderful. I almost have a hard time believing she's introverted because she speaks so well in public! And she made a point to actually have conversations with every single person as she autographed books. It was a wonderful experience!
I read Quiet a few months ago and loved it. It makes me feel so normal! I recommended it to all of my introverted friends. I particularly like how she points out that emphasizing collaboration in the classroom may actually inhibit introverts' creativity.
I hope she writes more books on the subject! Similar to above readers, I would appreciate to hear an extrovert's opinions on the book.

message 9: by Mark (last edited Feb 14, 2013 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Bao (markbao) | 1 comments I found the more interesting parts of the book dealt with the degree to which introverts could "stretch themselves" and adopt extroverted tendencies. It seems like the research on this is quite recent (though I'm sure Susan was happy to use it regardless), but the idea is fascinating. Three reasons:

1) Susan says that introverts can adopt extroverted qualities for pursuits they truly care about. In that case, what other 'triggers' might there be for extroversion?

2) If introverts can adopt extroverted qualities, then that means that, somewhere in all people, there is an extroverted behavior pattern that can be unlocked. Is that really true? Is this inherent in all people or learned through social experience?

3) How much can introverts really stretch themselves? And how long can they keep it up?

As an introvert, I resonated with a lot of the book. It seems like Susan sings the praises of introverts quite a bit (and perhaps a bit disproportionately), but maybe that's to be expected from this book.

Phil Mark wrote: "I found the more interesting parts of the book dealt with the degree to which introverts could "stretch themselves" and adopt extroverted tendencies. It seems like the research on this is quite rec..."
I'm one such: very extroverted teaching and interacting with teens, but in all other areas a classic introvert. It is performance. And draining. Right now it's lunch and I close my classroom door and converse -- in writing -- about books, in quiet. Bliss.

Tia (proceedcyclone) | 14 comments Phil,

Me, too. I talk all day (I'm currently an instructional assistant, but I am working toward my teaching credentials) and the last thing I want to do after work is physically talk to anyone.

Dan Kok | 1 comments I'm about halfway through. As an introvert, I found the authors story so much like mine, especially concerning public speaking. Also the story about how the author wrote her book in a coffee shop rather than alone. I too love to be in pubic places and big cities where you can be in the mix while still able to focus internally. I have found this book to be very enlightening and inspiring. Mainly, it's okay to not "act" in ways that will make you seem like something that you're not. We are hard-wired a certain way for a reason.

What also struck me are the references to the role technology plays into the life of an introvert and how these tools are helping to increase creativity and calibration while still allowing introverts to be introverts.

Phil I HIGHLY recommend investigating Sophia Dembling's great, often funny blog, "The Introvert's Corner" at http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/t...

Courtney this discussion is still open but has been moved to archives

The Study of the Mind: A Psychological Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World (other topics)