Nothing but Reading Challenges discussion

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
This topic is about Delirium
Authors; M - P > Oliver, Lauren: Delirium - Buddy Read Start date February 15th 2013

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

This topic is open for discussion of Delirium. Be Prepared for SPOILERS.

Synopsis:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Delirium leaves the readers with lingering feelings of both sadness and hope; it will stay with them long after the last page is turned. Up-To-Date Reviewing

message 2: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Jan 10, 2013 06:41PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments I told someone I'd read this with them, but I can't remember who. I've been wanting to read this since it came out.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Is this the first book? If it is I would be willing to read it with you too, but not until Feb.

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ | 374 comments I would also read this y'all

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 87 comments I actually just started this the other day!

Mary (Merinwe) | 1074 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I told someone I'd read this with them, but I can't remember who. I've been wanting to read this since it came out."

Hehe. You told Laura you'd read it with her. I'd love to reread this, so if I can work it into my schedule, I'll read with you guys.

message 7: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Laura, I think the original plan was to read it in February. Is that still the plan?

Drats Stephanie, it would have been fun if we could read this one with you.

Let me see if we read this one as a BOM, I think I bought it for one and ended up not caving in and buying it until it was too late. If we did, we may have questions already created for this one.

message 8: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments I must have confused it with Divergent. I tend to do that with names. If they come out at the same time an start with the same first letter. I did buy this, however, when it came out. Now I need to find my book.

Nairabell | 259 comments I'm in to read in Feb :)

Valerie | 63 comments Is this just for Delirium, or for the whole trilogy? I've read the first book already, but I'm looking forward to reading Pandemonium Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver and Requiem Requiem (Delirium, #3) by Lauren Oliver.

message 11: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Valerie wrote: "Is this just for Delirium, or for the whole trilogy? I've read the first book already, but I'm looking forward to reading Pandemonium Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver and Requiem [bookcover:Requie..."

I'm guessing it will probably extend to the next 2 in the series.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments I have had this one on my TBR for a long time, I'd love to read it with you guys.

message 13: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Awesome. I still can't believe it never won as a BOM. I could have sworn.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Awesome. I still can't believe it never won as a BOM. I could have sworn."

IIRC, it was nominated in a month where everything was an awesome nomination. Just too much awesome to choose from.

Stephanie (PremiumCrouton) | 87 comments I actually ended up reading this one pretty quickly. I hope you guys enjoy it when you start up your buddy read.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I am in for Feb. Just let me know what date so I can get a copy of the book.

Valerie | 63 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Is this just for Delirium, or for the whole trilogy? I've read the first book already, but I'm looking forward to reading Pandemonium Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver and Requiem [..."

Well, I'll be glad to join in the discussion & read along with the 2nd two books.

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ | 374 comments I can't wait to start reading this

message 19: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments How does February 15th sound?

Nairabell | 259 comments That should work for me

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments That works for me! It will have to go in my pile of books not to pack yet lol.

Mary (Merinwe) | 1074 comments Sounds good to me, too.

Kay | 283 comments I have already read it, but it was a couple of years ago. I will probably read with you guys again and then decide if I want to go on with the series.

Anna | 11 comments I read: Before I fall, by the same author, it was pretty dope.
I would be in on it.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Works for me too!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Just bought it on my kindle.

TheButterflyEffect | 161 comments Oh! Can I join? I've been meaning to read this book for a while!

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 1328 comments One more joining in.

Kristin | 552 comments I'd like to join in. Its been sitting on my iPad just waiting to be read.

message 31: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments TheButterflyEffect wrote: "Oh! Can I join? I've been meaning to read this book for a while!"

We'd love to have you.

message 32: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Will be dividing this up in an hour. My computer crashed last night or I'd have done it sooner

message 33: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2013 05:09AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Reading Schedule

Date Chapters Pages
February 15 1 - 5 1 - 68
February 16 6 - 9 69 - 146
February 17 10 - 13 147 - 214
February 18 14 - 17 215 - 281
February 19 18 - 21 282 - 353
February 20 22 - end 354 - 441

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Crap, I forgot again! Gotta dig that book out when I get home, luckily I have not packed that pile of books yet :)

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I got this one from the library this afternoon and just started reading it. I can do questions, but not until late.

I can definitely do questions for tomorrow though.

message 36: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2013 09:50PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments I'll do tonight's

message 37: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Feb 15, 2013 10:07PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 5

1) This is a very different type of book. Love is wrong? An unwanted emotion? Considered a disease? What do you think of this?

2) I liked the name the book of Shhh (The Safety, Health, and Happiness Handbook. Almost sounds like a bible with proverbs. Somehow I don't think Happiness has a real role in this one. What do you think?

3) The procedure sounds a little extreme with huge scars and a possibility of complications? Who would want this?

4) What is your first impression of Lena? Do you think her dismissal of love stems from her mother's suicide?

5) Lena's flashbacks of her mother make me wonder did her mother, in fact, commit suicide? Do you think she did?

6) What do you think of the sympathizers? Kind of sounded a bit like witch hunting to me.

7) What did you think of Lena's answers to the Evaluators?

8) What did you think of the cow incident and the Invalids? A rather interesting choice for a name.

9) Would you meet Alex?

message 38: by Kristin (last edited Feb 16, 2013 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristin | 552 comments Questions for Chapters 1-5

1) I am still trying to wrap my head around the love is a disease thing. It is a different concept for a book since most other books the main characters are trying to find love not avoid it.

2) I liked the name of the handbook too. I think the people have things that make them happy (like Lena and her running) but they don't know that happiness is the name for the emotion.

3) The procedure does sound a bit extreme. But what happens if someone refuses to have the procedure? Is that when they become the invalids?

4)I think Lena grew up hearing love is bad. I think she wonders about it and the whole procedure though since her mother said I love you before leaving. I don't think she realizes yet that has always questioned the system. The only thing I dont like Lena is how negative she is about herself.

5) I was wondering that too. If maybe her mother just ran away and they said she committed suicide so Lena wouldn't be tempted to look for her later on. I am not a big fan of Carol so I can't help but wonder if maybe Carol was somehow behind Lena's mother disappearance.

6) I agree. Especially when they were going to make Grace and Jenny's mom go to trial in place of her husband.

7) I like Lena's answers to the evaluators but I can see where the Evaluators and people in that society didn't like.

8) At first I didn't get what was going on with the cows. Still seems a bit of a weird way to protest to me. I am trying to figure out exactly who the Invalids and what their beliefs are. .

9) I would meet Alex. And I would tell Hana about it too.

TheButterflyEffect | 161 comments 1) The "love is a disease" thing is really horrifying. Especially considering the "cure" can totally destroy your interest in hobbies you've had and things you previously enjoyed.

2) Yeah, definitely not. Though I do like the name.

3) Uhg. I hate anything involving doctors. So, I'd be out of there so fast! Though I guess they don't really have much of a choice. And most of them have been made afraid of what will happen is they don't get "cured".

4) Lena kind of seems like every other distopian heroine.

5) I don't know, it didn't really seem suicide-y. Though it's possible. Though she probably didn't and will show up later in the story.

6) Probably just another way of keeping everyone afraid of doing the wrong thing.

7) Who's favourite colour is grey?! Also, I disagree with Romeo and Juliet being beautiful. It wasn't.

8) Using cows was weird. I assume it was some sort of symbolism maybe?

9) Probably not. I'm a bit of a wimp. Especially when it comes to breaking rules.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments So sorry, I was out all day with some emergency stuff that came up. I am reading todays chapters right now and will have the questions up shortly.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 5

1) This is a very different type of book. Love is wrong? An unwanted emotion? Considered a disease? What do you think of this?
I absolutely love this concept for a book! It is disturbing and crazy. I mean love is what makes the world bearable. I can't imagine it being a disease.

2) I liked the name the book of Shhh (The Safety, Health, and Happiness Handbook. Almost sounds like a bible with proverbs. Somehow I don't think Happiness has a real role in this one. What do you think?
I think it is kind of like a sarcastic name. I mean the book of Shhh? Lets not talk about the thing that actually made us happy and pained at the same time. Lets make it a disease and then create a book of to do's to make sure everyone looks at it in a different way.

3) The procedure sounds a little extreme with huge scars and a possibility of complications? Who would want this?
I wonder if Lena's mom found a way to resist it? I mean it doesn't sound like something I would want. I wouldn't want to possibly die from it either, yet everyone seems to want it so badly that they can hardly wait. WEIRD

4) What is your first impression of Lena? Do you think her dismissal of love stems from her mother's suicide?
I like Lena. I think she is scared of love and yes, I think that her mother's suicide has a lot to do with it. It is obvious though that she is having some extreme doubts about the way society is.

5) Lena's flashbacks of her mother make me wonder did her mother, in fact, commit suicide? Do you think she did?
I wondered this too. I almost think that maybe she lived through it or someone pushed her off. I think we will find out more about it later in the book.

6) What do you think of the sympathizers? Kind of sounded a bit like witch hunting to me.
I think that they are just people who see the problem with the system and are protesting in a way that they think is best. I think I see where they are coming from.

7) What did you think of Lena's answers to the Evaluators?
I thought it was obvious that she is not sure about the surgery. I did wonder about her liking Romeo and Juliet, although, I think her description of why she liked gray was very beautiful and I could see why it would be her favorite color.

8) What did you think of the cow incident and the Invalids? A rather interesting choice for a name.
I thought it was hilarious. I could so visualize it in my head.

9) Would you meet Alex?
Yes. I would be too curious not to. It sounds like he is a sympathizer and I am all for a bit of rebellion sometimes.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments @ Kristin

#4- I found it refreshing that she has flaws. It sounds more like how a teenager would feel about themselves and I think more teenagers would be able to relate to her character because of it, but I can also see the other side of the coin.

#5- Interesting thought. I don't like Carol either.

message 43: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Kristin said, "I liked the name of the handbook too. I think the people have things that make them happy (like Lena and her running) but they don't know that happiness is the name for the emotion."

The whole process seems a little stepford wife-ish.

TheButterflyEffect said, "Using cows was weird. I assume it was some sort of symbolism maybe?"

I think it was supposed to represent herding of animals for slaughter. In a way they're slaughtering the personalities of the individuals.

Kristin said, "At first I didn't get what was going on with the cows. Still seems a bit of a weird way to protest to me. I am trying to figure out exactly who the Invalids and what their beliefs are."

It was a bit of an odd protest, but it was one that couldn't go unnoticed so maybe that's what they were going for? As to the Invalids I hope we find out more about them.

TheButterflyEffect said, "Who's favourite colour is grey?! I disagree with Romeo and Juliet being beautiful. It wasn't."

I think Romeo and Juliette was tragically sad. Some romanticize a love where you'd rather die then go without the love of your life, but I don't think that's romantic.

I agree with the grey color. A very different choice. I wonder what that says about an individual? In this case, I think it was associated with a memory of her mom so it probably reminded her of her mother and happier times.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Laura's Questions for Ch. 6-9

10. Hmm... Lena's Aunt and Uncle exchanging glances at dinner seemed kind of odd. Do you think there is something going on there?

11. It sure seems like Lena gave up on the hunt for Alex quickly. If it were you, would you have broken curfew and continued to look or do you think Lena made the right decision?

12. What did you think of the take on the Bible? Do you think Lena is wrong about why her mother named her after Mary Magdalene?

13. The graduation ceremony is so sad. To think that after this they will all be like their cured classmates. The scene with Rachel was also sad. How can no one feel emotion anymore and think that is a good thing? Thoughts?

14. Can you imagine not being able to listen to certain music or read certain books? It sounds like they can't even dance. Are you surprised that there isn't more rebellion?

15. I am surprised by Lena's reaction to Hana and her desire to go to a party. It sounds very out of character for how I pictured her. Can you understand Lena's original feelings?

16. Lena went to the party. Were you surprised by how she acted when she got there? I guess I would have been shocked to find out that the world was not as it seemed. Do you think there will be an uprising?

17. I get the feeling that Alex is not cured. Do you think he is immune or that it is something else? It looks like Lena has fallen in love. Thoughts?

TheButterflyEffect | 161 comments 10) I thought that too. Yeah, I definitely think there's something weird there.

11) She definitely gave up very quickly. If it were me, I think I would have too. But that doesn't make it the right decision.

12) I thought the take on the Bible was very interesting. And I definitely think Lena was wrong about why her mother named her that.

13) That was sad! But it all comes back to fear, everyone's afraid of what'll happen if they don't get "cured".

14) I don't think I'd survive. And it is surprising, how little rebellion there is. Especially considering it hasn't even been a century since the "cure" was invented. Maybe if it had been like this for centuries I'd believe it easier.

15) I think it fit her perfectly. She's terrified of doing the wrong thing and breaking the rules. And she can't believe her best friend is hiding so much from her on top of that. I think her reaction was understandable.

16) I wasn't too surprised I kind of expected her to freak out.

17) I think he's definitely immune, like Lena's mother was. She definitely likes him, first stage symptoms, or whatever.

message 46: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Laura's Questions for Ch. 6-9

10. Hmm... Lena's Aunt and Uncle exchanging glances at dinner seemed kind of odd. Do you think there is something going on there?

I wondered about this too. Maybe being unable to be 'cured' runs in the family?

11. It sure seems like Lena gave up on the hunt for Alex quickly. If it were you, would you have broken curfew and continued to look or do you think Lena made the right decision?
I thought that as well. She didn't seem to look around for him. I was a touch surprised, but maybe she was just too worried about breaking the rules and curfew? I get the impression that she feels like she has a target on her back because of what happened with her mother.

12. What did you think of the take on the Bible? Do you think Lena is wrong about why her mother named her after Mary Magdalene?
I'm not sure what to make of her name or why her mother choose it. I have to admit although I made a connection right away that the book of Shhh was somehow used as a bible, I didn't really think it would be used as such in truth.

13. The graduation ceremony is so sad. To think that after this they will all be like their cured classmates. The scene with Rachel was also sad. How can no one feel emotion anymore and think that is a good thing? Thoughts?

It was sad and to think of how the trouble making and bubbly Hana will be afterwards is even more sad. Can you imagine her as just a mindless person? I'm guessinge her friendship with Lena will immediately be over. FYI, upon thinking about it, I think sheep instead of cows would have been a better choice for the Invalids or sympathizers to use.

14. Can you imagine not being able to listen to certain music or read certain books? It sounds like they can't even dance. Are you surprised that there isn't more rebellion?

Very typical of dystopian books and it follows the Hitler regime. They did that and so have others. It's a form of control and I would absolutely hate it.

15. I am surprised by Lena's reaction to Hana and her desire to go to a party. It sounds very out of character for how I pictured her. Can you understand Lena's original feelings?

I wasn't surprised. She is so afraid of being like her mother that she fears this trait in her best friend. She doesn't want to lose her, but I don't know if she truly realized the procedure will wipe out what she loves and admires in Hana.

16. Lena went to the party. Were you surprised by how she acted when she got there? I guess I would have been shocked to find out that the world was not as it seemed. Do you think there will be an uprising?

No, I wasn't. What happened with her mother changed her and I think she misses her mother severely and the whole event traumatized her.

I hope there there will be an uprising and I'm guessing there will be.

17. I get the feeling that Alex is not cured. Do you think he is immune or that it is something else? It looks like Lena has fallen in love. Thoughts?

I think he wasn't cured either. I'm not sure why, but I hope we find out. I look forward to seeing how this all works out. I think loving someone as much as she loved her mom and them losing them is her greatest fear and why she was looking forward to being 'cured.' For her love cures all just isn't true.

message 47: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Just finished today's reading. What a stopping point. Can I pick them or what? lol I'll get questions up shortly/

message 48: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Feb 17, 2013 05:25PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Questions/Comments for Chapters 10 - 13

18) Were you surprised that Alex was from the Wilds? Were you surprised he confessed it? Were you surprised by Lena's reaction?

19) Lena hasn't seen Hana since the party that long ago night? What's up with that? And why were their messages never received?

20) Do you think Lena's aunt found the note from Alex?

21) What do you make of Lena getting her third choice to be paired with? It didn't sound like they were sent pictures of their matches. Why even give them a choice? I was surprised Chris McDonnell got the number 2 spot.

22) Any ideas of what will happen to Lena? Were you shocked about the raid? Were you surprised she tried to warn everyone?

23) Do you think she will ever see Alex again?

message 49: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8400 comments Okay, back to reading. :)

Kristin | 552 comments 10. I was thinking the same thing. It seems a bit strange since they don't seem to "connect" much over anything else.

11. If I was going to break curfew I was going to at least look a little bit harder for him. It seems since she already convinced herself he wasn't going to be there so she didnt bother looking that hard.

12. I think her mother had other reasons for naming her Mary Magdalene but what it is I'm not sure.

13. The whole scene with her sister was weird to me. I can't imagine not seeing people like that again and not having an emotional connection with them especially your sister.

14. I think they haven't rebelled because they don't know there is any different. But now with the invalids and more protests that people can see there will be more rebellion.

15. I have to agree that I pictured Lena differently. I pictured her being instantly interested in going to the party but instead she was really against it.

16. I think eventually there will be an uprising. Though it seems hard to believe Lena may be involved in since she seems naive about the rest of the world at this point. I think there needs to be some huge revelation for her to be involved in the uprising

17. I think Lena is falling in love with Alex though if she is already I dont like the fact it was so quick with only a few meetings with him (seems unbelievable to me). I wonder if Alex put the scar there even though he wasn't cured so that he wcrk as the security guard and help the Invalids.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Delirium (other topics)
Pandemonium (other topics)
Requiem (other topics)
More...