YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Masterpiece by Elise Broach

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (last edited Mar 08, 2009 10:40PM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
Our April Official Selection is Masterpiece by Elise Broach.

Looks fun... like The Metamorphosis!

message 2: by Jane (new)

The Masterpiece was reviewed by NY Times today! I haven't read the review yet 'cause I want to read the book first, but in case you're interested:
NY Times review of The Masterpiece

message 3: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) I absolutely loved Masterpiece! It has "future classic" written all over it. Feel free to take a look at my < a href="http://www.bookwink.com/archive_2009_... booktalk for it.

message 4: by Jane (new)

I've just finished it and I really like it! I take my first comment back about Metamorphosis-- NOthing like it at all. I think there's a lot to discuss about this book... particularly the nature of art theft and forgeries.

Bookwink, I'll definitely take a look at your booktalk before our discussion. Thanks!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Bookwink - I went to the video book talk - it was distracting - something was wrong with the video - but I heard some of it = and now I'm in love with this idea!!! I'm going to get the librarian into it and then see if I can submit any reviews to the site from my kids. :)

Thanks so much for sharing!

message 6: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso | 64 comments I would recommend the book The Rescue Artist A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece if you want to know a little more about art theft. The main focus of the book is the search for The Scream by Edward Munch by the art detective Charlie Hill and contains many other stories about some of the major thefts to occur over the years. It talks about the reasoning behind some of the thefts and shows some of the stupidity and boldness of the thief's in question. I told Jane that she can read a few chapters of the book to see if there are any questions that she can think of from that book.

message 7: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Thanks for the recommendation, Fonso--I have a half-dozen or so similar titles on my to-read shelf and wasn't sure where to start.

message 8: by Jane (new)

Hi! We're all here and started with eating as usual.

David opens the discussion with a comment about whether or not the book gives kids the impression that it is okay to go sneaking around and forging paintings.

message 9: by Jane (new)

All of us thought that the author was going to suggest that Durer's paintings were really done by beetles--ridiculous idea I know, but she didn't, so all's fine.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Alethea really likes Martin's family situation.

message 11: by Jane (new)

David thinks that there are many details left unsolved/open.

message 12: by Jane (new)

We thought it was really clever of the author to have tricked all of us into thinking that there were really 4 Durer's Virtues.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Alethea really liked how one-tracked James' mom was, her eye for beauty.

Damaris liked James' dad was really supportive and not pushy even though art is his profession.

message 14: by Jane (last edited Apr 05, 2009 07:40PM) (new)

Do you think that James got his hand caught in the trunk on purpose?

Nancy: Yes
Damaris: Yes
Alethea: No
David: Yes
Jane: Yes
Edward: Doesn't know

message 15: by Jane (new)

Newbery contender?

We think not.

message 16: by Jane (new)

Edward has issues with the book:
(1) that James didn't seem bothered that the Beetle did all the work.

message 17: by Jane (new)

We argue that if James didn't have that quality, he would be an uninteresting character.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Edward's other issue:
(2) that they allowed a kid to be dragged into such a large scheme involving FBI and thefts.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Alfonso--
Alethea borrowed Rescue Artist!

message 20: by Alethea (new)

My favorite chapter title: Turtle-Beetle Battle!

message 21: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Sorry guys, a phone call came up around the same time. I liked the book a lot. I enjoyed the fact that the family situation is something very realistic, divorced parents, crazy mom, etc.

I also thought that they were going to say the Durer paintings were done by beetles.

I believe that James got his hand caught in the trunk on purpose.

Sorry again all.

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Loved Masterpiece.. I thought it was a cute mystery.

message 23: by Jane (new)

Suzy, you don't have to apologize for that. We're just glad you're here! =)

I really liked the story, but I'm glad that it's not a series. However, I think the idea of art thief mysteries with kids is a good idea. Anyone know of other books for children that are similar?

message 24: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) "I think the idea of art thief mysteries with kids is a good idea. Anyone know of other books for children that are similar?"

Here is a list of "Museum Mysteries" that I compiled on my website. I would recommend all of these books to fans of Masterpiece. http://www.bookwink.com/subject_myste...

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Goodall (booklady1) I've read the Blue Balliet books on the Bookwink "Museum Mysteries" list. They are super and my students always enjoy them.

message 26: by Alethea (last edited Apr 30, 2009 11:10AM) (new)

I keep meaning to grab the hardcovers for Blue Balliett. I'm putting them on my to-buy list for next month.

Theodosia is on my list, too!

The Smile is sitting on my bookshelf. Not a mystery, but art-related.

message 27: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) Alethea wrote: "I keep meaning to grab the hardcovers for Blue Balliet. I'm putting them on my to-buy list for next month.

Theodosia is on my list, too!

The Smile is sitting on my ..."

I love Love LOVED Theodosia! Feel free to take a look at my Museum Mysteries video booktalk. I booktalked Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, The Wright 3 by Blue Balliet, and From the Mixed-Up Files...

message 28: by Jane (new)

Cool! I have a Theodosia book at home somewhere. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

message 29: by Jane (new)

Is Blue Balliet a title? I recognize it but the link goes to something else.

message 30: by Alethea (last edited Apr 30, 2009 11:09AM) (new)

Nope, that's the author's name. The books are Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, and The Calder Game, in that order. You know how sometimes GR just pops in the closest thing? For L.A. Meyer I kept getting Mark Twain until I pasted in his author #.

Here's the right Blue Balliett.

message 31: by Jane (new)

That's right! I always get familiar names mixed up. I heard Chasing Vermeer wasn't that great, so I guess that's why I've put off reading it.

message 32: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Cole (bookwink) I found a few more books to add to my TBR pile that sound like they could be like Masterpiece.
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia

The Red Blazer Girls The Ring of Rocamadour

The Composer Is Dead

Has anyone read these? Are they worth looking into?

message 33: by Alethea (new)

I enjoyed The Composer Is Dead, but I haven't yet listened to the recording. Must do that today.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Masterpiece (other topics)
The Metamorphosis (other topics)
The Rescue Artist: A True Story of Art, Thieves, and the Hunt for a Missing Masterpiece (other topics)
The Smile (other topics)
The Calder Game (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elise Broach (other topics)
Elaine Balliet (other topics)
Blue Balliett (other topics)
L.A. Meyer (other topics)
Mark Twain (other topics)
More...