Almost Fearless: Monthly Travel Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > Feb 2013 Book Suggestions!

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christine Gilbert | 48 comments Mod
What book should we read for next month (Feb 2013)? Why?

Ursula (Tiphanya) | 8 comments What do you think about a moveable feast by Hemingway ?

A Moveable Feast

Caroline (cairinthecity) | 4 comments I'm currently on Andrew McCarthy's Longest Way Home and it might be a good one to add in the future!

Mike | 5 comments I'd love to pull apart either 'Hokkaido Highway Blues' by Will Ferguson (on hitchhiking Japan, although it's *really* about someone leaving a culture he can't fit himself into) or 'Passage To Juneau: A Sea And Its Meanings' by Jonathan Raban, which is a modern adventure, a history lesson and a book about someone dealing with loss by taking a long journey.

'Kay, I'm biased - these are in my top ten reads across any genre - but they're amazing travel-writing.

Beatrizlorenzo I'd recommend "To the Heart of the Amazon: Journey of a Lifetime" by Valerie Meikle.
Why? A woman, an insane adventure, an amazing individual true to her spirits...

I've added everyone so far -- except yours Beatriz... sorry, it seems like the English version (was it written in Spanish originally? That's the only one I can find on Good Reads) is out of print -- see Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Amazon-Jo...

But keep the recs coming, I'm also adding them to http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh... and we can vote in two weeks or so! :) Thanks!

Pamela Macnaughtan | 2 comments OMG I need a facebook break. I keep trying to 'Like' suggestions on here.

Beatrizlorenzo I see... I think it might have been written in Spanish originally, you're right.

Then I'll recommend "walking the Amazon" by Ed Stafford to keep adventure in the same area.
He was tweeting and blogging his adventure from the jungle, pretty amazing it was to follow real time. The book is equally good, more about an adventure that becomes a bit of a personal journey (like any adventure I reckon).

message 9: by Marie-Josée (last edited Jan 07, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Marie-Josée | 7 comments Mike mentioned Will Ferguson - I'd like to suggest his latest for our February read: 419: A Novel.
It's been well reviewed and definitely on my list to read this year.

message 10: by Sharon (last edited Jan 08, 2013 12:42AM) (new)

Sharon Gourlay | 11 comments There are a lot of great travel books by Paul Theroux. Dark star safari and his Oceania one are great. I haven't read others but would love an excuse to ;)

Okay adding some Theroux titles to the list!

Mike | 5 comments I'll admit, Theroux's pessimism gets to me after a while. I'm halfway through 'Kingdom By The Sea' (his trawl round the coast of the UK) and there's a lack of charity towards the people he meets. I remember Andrew Evans (NatGeo) saying somewhere that he found his work tiring for the same reason.

Another suggestion, which I know you'd like, Christine: something by Brene Brown? eg. http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Imperfect... or her earlier http://www.amazon.com/Thought-Was-Jus...

I would suggest her latest, 'Daring Greatly', but it's still only in pricey Hardback. Harrumph.

Torre DeRoche | 9 comments Whoa! Who ARE you, Mike Sowden? Switching out Theroux's real-life pessimism for Brene Brown's indiscriminate optimism? What's next? Wayne Dyer over Bill Bryson? Louise Hay over Hemingway? I can only assume that you're being sarcastic, but your subtlety is confusing me.

Torre DeRoche | 9 comments I vote for Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. She spent three years living in an Indian slum to get the story. I've read the first 15 pages or so, and her writing is divine. It's been named one of the best books of the year by several media sources.

Torre: Yes, I was trying to remember that one... I've been wanting to read that.

I'm almost tempted to just dictator this up and select it for Feb, hmmm, can I do that?

Well Torre's suggestion made me remember that 'Oh right, I have a to-read list on Goodreads' so here is what I have:

The Art of Eating
The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen
Tracks and Horizons: 26 Countries on a Motorcycle
Yes, Chef: A Memoir
Paris in Love
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

I like travel & food apparently.

Let's pick something soon, I'll ping the group for a last run of suggestions then we can narrow it done, so folks who get their copies from libraries can get on waiting lists and all that.

Dyanne (TravelnLass) | 11 comments ALL the suggestions so far sound good to me (though... I presume whatever the final choices, any/all are in digital format, yes?)

Shannon O'Donnell (Shannon_ODonnell) | 2 comments Ooo, I love Torre's suggestion too Christine, Behind the Beautiful Forevers is in my to-read queue right now and I would love a reason to start it soon :)

Alison Gresik (Alison_Gresik) | 9 comments Can we add "Kite Strings of the Southern Cross" or "Kiss the Sunset Pig" by Canadian writer Laurie Gough to the wish list? I love the way she writes about the meaning and emotion behind travel (the first book is set in Fiji, the second on a cross-country drive in the US). And I think she's a wonderful under-appreciated writer.

But for Feb I'm good for "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" -- I like Torre's taste :-)

Tammy MacKenzie (mackenziephoto) | 5 comments I like Torre's suggestion for "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" as well! Christine, you can definitely dictator this up for February!

Mike | 5 comments Torre wrote: "Whoa! Who ARE you, Mike Sowden? Switching out Theroux's real-life pessimism for Brene Brown's indiscriminate optimism? What's next? Wayne Dyer over Bill Bryson? Louise Hay over Hemingway? I can onl..."

None of that, dude! I've read your book, remember. It has a happy ending. A HAPPY ending. Despite the promise of the title: "...with a chance of drowning". Let me tell you, the immediate disappointment I felt in not feeling an enduring disappointment...it's ruined my ability to wallow in misery. And that's YOUR damn fault, lady.

So yes. Bring on the happy smiling children, the puppies and the clowns. It's all I understand these days.

sarah  corbett morgan (scmorgan) I'm reading _Behind the Beautiful Forevers_ right now and second (or third) it as a choice for discussion next month.

Ashlie Woods | 2 comments Behind the Beautiful Forevers - I'm for it too!

Patricia Sands (patriciasands) | 8 comments Add my vote to Behind The Beautiful Forevers please. I put it down to begin Wild. With these two off my TBR pile, it just may not topple this month ... thanks ...

Okay it's official, I'm making Behind the Beautiful Forevers the Feb selection. If you have other suggestions, please post them in the Mar 2013 suggestion thread! Thanks everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.