Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Adding a cover photo?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Uncle (new)

Uncle | 2 comments Forgive my ignorance, but I can not figure out how to actually add a cover image. I have recently become a Goodreads Librarian, but I do not find the guidelines to be very specific in this regard. I have a copy of the book in question in my own library.

The book I would like to add a cover for is ISBN: 486204154.

message 2: by D.A.—has a headache from new design here (last edited Jan 05, 2013 05:49PM) (new)

D.A.—has a headache from new design here Any cover image that doesn't come from a bookseller's site (like amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.) is okay to use including a scan or photo of your own book, image on publisher's site, author site or blog, etc. Once uploaded, goodreads automatically sizes and formats for the book page.

When you are creating the book, in righthand column there is a "choose file" [after creating a book you will also see beneath that an upload button when editing an existing book]. For new or coverless books, it is that simple. (Well, I have gotten involved in editing and forgotten to hit "upload"...but that is my error.)

Screenshot of where to click to choose file for bookcover when creating a new book:
screenshot of how to upload image

Screenshot of where the choose file and the upload buttons are when editing existing book:
screenshot of how to upload image

New books or missing covers, please do upload non-bookseller cover images even if from your own books.

D.A.—has a headache from new design here More complicated and usually means alternate cover editions get created if a book already has a cover.

For books that already have covers, almost never do those get altered or overwritten even if author wants an ebook cover updated. Exceptions would be if an eager member uploaded a not so great scan and the exact same cover in a better image file later showed up on the author's website (cannot change a cover, can improve the quality of the file), some odd image was uploaded obviously not a book cover, and almost anything else to overwrite an existing cover would be some legal issue that would have to get staff approval rather than a librarian doing. See Author FAQs this group and "alternate cover editions" in librarians manual.

Has to do with the fact that goodreads members can put specific bookcovers on their shelves so we do not take away. In or out of print, available or not, if it was published with a cover, that cover gets to stay.

message 4: by Uncle (new)

Uncle | 2 comments Thank you so much Debbie. Your reply was just the information I was looking for. I followed your instructions and was able to upload the cover quite easily. Thank you!

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy McKibben (goodreadcomNancy_McKibben) | 2 comments My book has a black hole instead of a cover image. I have read the appropriate guidelines and FAQs and some posts here, but my edit book screen doesn't show me a Choose File or Upload photo button. I am the author, and I have a cover image - I just don't see a way of uploading it.

The book is The Chaos Protocol:

ISBN: 1893857905 ISBN 13: 9781893857902

Please feel free to upload the cover if you can find a way to do so. I'm not feeling too confident!

Thanks very much -

Nancy McKibben

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2439 comments Nancy wrote: "My book has a black hole instead of a cover image. I have read the appropriate guidelines and FAQs and some posts here, but my edit book screen doesn't show me a Choose File or Upload photo button...."

Nancy,

I deleted the black cover. You should get the Upload button now.

Otherwise, if you can post a non-bookseller link to your cover one of us can upload it for you.

message 7: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3550 comments Nancy wrote: "My book has a black hole instead of a cover image. I have read the appropriate guidelines and FAQs and some posts here, but my edit book screen doesn't show me a Choose File or Upload photo button...."

I've deleted that cover. It is unlikely you published a book with a completely black cover, right?
Anyway, you should be able to upload your cover now.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy McKibben (goodreadcomNancy_McKibben) | 2 comments Thanks to Amanda and Lafon! Such promptness! And it worked like a charm! Okay,no more exclamation points, but, really, thanks.

-Nancy

unread topics | mark unread