Jane Austen Sequels discussion

What Are You Reading? > Pride and Prejudice 200th Anniversary Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »

Susan (LadySusan) | 10 comments I have just signed up to take this challenge on
austenprose.com to read/watch a dozen Pride and Prejudice-related books/films. I am beginning with the original and rereading Jane
Austen's novel and then I am going to alternate
watching a different movie version (have identified 6 of them) with reading 6 of the prequel/sequel/mash-up novels
(starting with Maria Grace's Given Good Principles) entries by year end.
Is anyone else taking up this fun challenge ...?

Laurel (LaurelAnn) | 332 comments Mod
I Susan, great choices. I am so happy you are participating. It should be a fabulous P&P year.

Tessara Dudley (tessaradudley) | 1 comments Ooh, this sounds fun...

Charlene (chatty1082) | 7 comments THIS DOES SOUND LIKE FUN!! Though I don't know for me I can't ever get enough! heheheh Just have to tell my family that I do have priorties.

Charlene (chatty1082) | 7 comments My first book I'm reading is "Yours Affectionally Jane Austen" by Sally Smith O'Rourke. About 50% in and it's wonderful. Wish I was Eliza!!

Lilyane | 4 comments I've joined it, too. I've read many Pride & Prejudice derivatives, but this time I'm sticking close to Laurel's list as most of her choices are new to me. So much new reading/listening/watching makes it that much more of a challenge.

I agree with Charlene - I can never get enough Jane!

Mimi (JuleseeMimi) | 9 comments I'm in! The first on her list is the audiobook narrated by Emilia Fox. I've listened to it before and I highly recommend it!

On another note, I need your help. I hear about a book (maybe recently released) with a title like

The Last Thread: Darcy Something Something
Or
The Final String: Something Darcy Something Something

Final, Last, String, Thread...I can't find it on google! Can anyone tell me the name of this book? I want to read it next.

Lilyane | 4 comments Hi Jamie,

I see two:

One Thread Pulled: the dance with Mr. Darcy/Diana J. Oaks 8.15.12

The Final Reason: a tale of Pride and Prejudice/Ola Wegner 8.06.12

Either of these? Now you've got me curious - I'm going to check them both out!

NixLapi | 5 comments I'm planning to read along, as I'd be reading *at least* one P&P inspired book a month anyway!

I'm currently mid-way into A Pemberley Medley by Abigail Reynolds, a collection of short stories, and enjoying it! I have about five more on deck thanks to some great recent sales (Sourcebooks has 11 on sale, today only).

Mimi (JuleseeMimi) | 9 comments Lilyane wrote: "Hi Jamie,

I see two:

Either of these? Now you've got me curi..."

Lilyane, Thanks for your help! It's "One Thread Pulled" which will be next on my list (once I finish Jane Eyre).

Thanks! :)

Helen | 5 comments One Thread Pulled is fabulous!

Miriam Reeves (miriamkt) | 5 comments agreed One thread pulled is fabulous and she is working on a sequel which I think is going to be fabulous! I haven't tried The Final Reason

Lilyane wrote: "I've joined it, too. I've read many Pride & Prejudice derivatives, but this time I'm sticking close to Laurel's list as most of her choices are new to me. So much new reading/listening/watching mak..."

Thanks for the complement Lilyane, I am glad you are inspired by my choices - there are some older and newer books and movies.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) I am setting down to read JANE AUSTEN IN BOCA, which apparently is the plot of P&P bodily transferred to an old age community in Boca Raton, FL. Not sure how good it will be.

Ann (gingersoul63yahoocom) | 61 comments Hi, Just opened my mail box, and my copy of Prawn and Prejudice is here by Belinda Roberts. Tiny little book so i will just read it quickly.
and i began Pemberley's Promise by Kara Louise last night. Love the story of re acquainting on a ship.

Ann (gingersoul63yahoocom) | 61 comments Helen wrote: "One Thread Pulled is fabulous!"

so happy i have it, now to get right to it:)

Robin (RobinPickell) | 3 comments I just finished Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen for the 200 year book challenge myself. & then I couldn't help myself and watched all the Lizzie Bennet Diaries up to date. I am having so much fun, is anyone else?

Cannot wait until I can do next months challenge! Yes, if someone wants to shoot me, please do. Sorry about the enthusiasm.

Ann (gingersoul63yahoocom) | 61 comments Robin wrote: "I just finished Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen for the 200 year book challenge myself. & then I couldn't help myself and watched all the Lizzie Bennet Diaries up to date. I am having so m..."

i totally agree with you, I pick up a new adventure with every sequel. So many found that i can hardly believe them all. So no, I would not shoot you:)
lol

Robin wrote: "I just finished Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen for the 200 year book challenge myself. & then I couldn't help myself and watched all the Lizzie Bennet Diaries up to date. I am having so m..."

Hi Robin, I love your passion and look forward to reading your insights throughout the year.

Mimi (JuleseeMimi) | 9 comments Ann wrote: "Helen wrote: "One Thread Pulled is fabulous!"

so happy i have it, now to get right to it:)"

I'm reading it now; I'm about 1/3 through and so far I really like it. :)

Ann (gingersoul63yahoocom) | 61 comments Lilyane wrote: "Hi Jamie,

I see two:

Either of these? Now you've got me curi..."

i have purchased both, but not read yet!!

Barbara | 3 comments Susan wrote: "I have just signed up to take this challenge on
austenprose.com to read/watch a dozen Pride and Prejudice-related books/films. I am beginning with the original and rereading Jane
Austen's novel and..."

would have been able to do this in 2012, but have read everything currently in print, except a couple that sound really bad (see 50 shades of Mr Darcy). So, I will read along as new titles are published. Also, I have seen 4 movie versions of P&P - Lawrence Olivier, Old TV version, Colin Firth, and 2005 movie. Which am I missing if there are 6?

Barbara | 3 comments Just finished Pride and Pyramids. I enjoyed it...

Ceri | 35 comments I have been trying to read Death Comes To Pemberley by P D James. On paper I should like this book from an accomplished author, I've read other books she's written (murder mysteries) and enjoyed them but I am struggling with this one, the characters just haven't come alive for me, they are like cardboard cut outs! I've been reading other things in between to keep me going!

Robin (RobinPickell) | 3 comments @Ceri I understand your frustration. When I heard it was coming out, I preordered it. I hounded BN for my copy. Got connections there you know ;D Got it when it first came out a long time ago & could NOT get past the first chapter. I tried so hard like you. I finally just dropped it, and admitted defeated. I wish you good luck. I put it in the stacks & I am hoping some day I will "uncover" it and read it.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) I have the feeling that the P.D. James work was a trunk novel -- something that she wrote a long time ago, and only just now allowed to be published. It is just not very good, I'm afraid.

Lilyane | 4 comments I agree with Ceri, Robin and Brenda. I bought this book - the publicity about it made me think I should own it - but I was sorely disappointed. The writing didn't flow, the characters were wooden, and it seemed forced and stale.

It was sad, really. I expected so much more.

Helen | 5 comments I agree as well.....very disappointing :(

Ceri | 35 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one! The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that P D James' work is more plot driven. I am not sure characters are her strong point at all, and taking on such well-loved characters was a bad idea for her if you ask me. I am going to try and plod through it, somebody lent me the book and I've had it so long I feel obliged to finish it!

Robin (RobinPickell) | 3 comments @Ceri & anyone who wants Jane Austen/mystery driven books & hasn't already read them. . .

Have you checked out the Stephanie Barron books?

Lilyane | 4 comments Ceri wrote: "I'm glad I'm not the only one! The more I've thought about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that P D James' work is more plot driven. I am not sure characters are her strong point at all, a..."

Try to finish it - at least you won't be sorry at some point down the road!

Theresa | 2 comments I too was so disappointed in the PD James book! I loved everything else I have read from her and had actually asked my daughter to bring home a copy from London so I could read it before it was published here. I have to say though that it was tons better than Colleen McCullough's ( The Thorn Birds) The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet where Darcy is an insensitive brute and Elizabeth naive with a sad marriage.

NixLapi | 5 comments I've had Death Comes to Pemberley in my "currently reading" list since May... I was so uninspired by it that I haven't picked it up since! But I am determined to finish it someday as I have a hard time putting down any P&P book, even the bad ones!

Ann (gingersoul63yahoocom) | 61 comments hi, just began Darcy on the Hudson by Mary Lydon Simonsen. Wonderful version of P and P. thank you!!

Jaima | 3 comments Rj wrote: "I've had Death Comes to Pemberley in my "currently reading" list since May... I was so uninspired by it that I haven't picked it up since! But I am determined to finish it someday as I have a hard ..."

I agree with you. It was hard to finish this one, and I was disappointed when I did.

Susan (LadySusan) | 10 comments Barbara wrote: "Susan wrote: "I have just signed up to take this challenge on
Aust..."

Barbara wrote: "Susan wrote: "I have just signed up to take this challenge on
Aust..."

Sorry that I missed your post/question. There is a "Mormon" version 200x and last year 2012 one called A Modern Pride and Prejudice plus the truly wonderful Bollywood version, Bride and Prejudice. Will be watching them
all for the challenge!

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 7 comments I too have signed up at Laurel Ann's for P&P 200, have watched Keira & McFadyen [review] to celebrate and now delited to be into Alexa Adam's 'First Impressions'...
Glad to find this group formed at goodreads ~ Thanks Laurel Ann!

Miriam Reeves (miriamkt) | 5 comments A little off topic but has anyone read the new book "A world without Darcy" by C. Rafe Carlson. I got the first little excerpt of it and it sounds like a Its a wonderful life kind of book. There are no reviews for it and I think its only available in Ebook form at the moment. I am scared to read it because these books tend to change my mood that day if the Darcy Elizabeth scenarios are too maddening. Anyway its on Kindle for $1.99 anyone tried it yet?

Charlene (chatty1082) | 7 comments Miriam wrote: "A little off topic but has anyone read the new book "A world without Darcy" by C. Rafe Carlson. I got the first little excerpt of it and it sounds like a Its a wonderful life kind of book. There a..."

C Rafe Carlson has some stories on Derbshire writers Guilde and I loved one story which was something about "Spite" with Wickham causing alot of mayham. He/she has another published that I was not crazy about because it depicted Col Fitzwilliam as a villian. you could go on one of the JAFF sites and see if it's available and start reading it there and if you liked it you could go and down load the book and read the entirity on you ebook!

Miriam Reeves (miriamkt) | 5 comments Charlene wrote: "Miriam wrote: "A little off topic but has anyone read the new book "A world without Darcy" by C. Rafe Carlson. I got the first little excerpt of it and it sounds like a Its a wonderful life kind o..."

Thanks! I am going to go try that!

Sandra (slimbach) | 3 comments I am also singed up for the challenge. Since I have read so many P&P related books, this will definitely be a challenge. I have started with Charlotte Collins, Maria Lucas and just finished Caroline Bingley all by Jennifer Becton. I throughly enjoyed them all. The stories really helped fill out the minor characters in my mind. Next up, Loving Miss Darcy by Nancy Kelley. I wonder how long it will take for me to get to twelve?

Jean (chicagoaustenfan) | 67 comments I'm in! Like Sandra, I have read and own SO many Austen sequels, modernizations and retellings, but am certainly up for the challenge! Since New Year's, have read Searching for Captain Wentworth by Jane Odiwe (a lovely book) and One Thread Pulled (a terrific, "don't want to put it down" story that just needs proof-reading to make it "Excellent". Next on my "to read" pile is Laura Hile's Mercy's Embrace trilogy - can't wait!!!

message 43: by writer... (last edited Mar 19, 2013 10:52PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 7 comments My Bicentenary P&P challenge response post is HERE

Includes my first review: 2005 P&P movie

2nd review: Alexa Adams' First Impressions
Alexa Adams
First Impressions. A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice  by Alexa Adams

3rd review: P&P parallels in Bridget Jones's Diary movie posted HERE
Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones  The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding

Sophia  (SophiaRose) | 2 comments writer... wrote: "My Bicentenary P&P challenge response post is HERE

Includes my first review: 2005 P&P movie

2nd review: Alexa Adams' First Impressions
Alexa Adams
[bookcover:First Impressions. A Tale of Less Pri..."

Hope you liked First Impressions, writer! I just finished up its sequel Second Glances which is really good. Better than the first book I think.

Lynn | 1 comments My 3rd review for the challenge: Pemberley by Emma Tennant.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Kathleen Marie | 1 comments I just joined the challenge with my first entry here:

http://creativestitchesdesign.blogspo...

Jeffrey (Chiklitmanfan) | 18 comments By the way, www.pemberley.com is doing a group read of Pride and Prejudice. They are about at Ch 7 and it is never too late to join and share. I've been involved with their group reads now for several years and it is an excellent way to connect with the enormous base of knowledge concerning Jane Austen and her works. You will find it endlessly educational, enlightening and entertaining.

http://www.pemberley.com/bin/library/...

Maria | 14 comments I love this challenge! Although this is not a real challenge because I love anything Austen. I reread "Pride & Prejudice", rewatched 1995 BBC adaptation and my next book will be "Becoming Elizabeth Darcy" by Mary Lydon Simonsen... I can't wait!

Tamra | 15 comments I agree, this is not a challenge for me either. I'm a Jane Austen addict! In the last two weeks, I've read many sequels. One of my favorites is The Houseguest A Pride and Prejudice Vagary by Elizabeth Adams. I just finished Maria Grace's trilogy: Darcy's Decision(really liked), The Future Mrs. Darcy (liked) and All the Appearances of Goodness (Was good but a little off on the characters for my taste). These stories aren't very long and need to be condensed into a longer volume.

I'm starting Georgianna Darcy's Diary...by Anna Elliott.

Thanks for your participation and insights Tamra. You are a true Austenesque Officiniado.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (other topics)
First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alexa Adams (other topics)